What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andy Dalton is a QB 1 in fantasy right now (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
Everywhere and everyone seems to regarding Andy Dalton as a QB2 at best in fantasy, but the reality is that he's putting up some legit fantasy numbers, especially in leagues that don't penalize heavily for INTs.

Right now he's got 19 total TDs which is just 1 behind Brady, 2 behind Ryan and 2 behind Peyton. The more heralded Stafford and RG III trail him by 5, Romo and Cam by 6, and Eli and Vick by a whopping 7!

Given that it's only his 2nd year and that his weaponery is young and improving I think he'll be able to stick around in this company for quite a long time.

-QG

Truth, he is a Qb 1 right now. He has no running game to steal away Tds, he has one of the best Wrs in the game on his team with other decent options. However, the sample size for him is much smaller than some of those Qbs on your list which still makes him a little riskier compared to those players.

Don't know what kind of format you're in, but RGIII and Stafford are both ahead of Dalton in my league.

He's still QB12, so technically he's a "QB1", but he's too inconsistent to rely upon. I would be way more comfortable starting Romo over Dalton going forward, especially since I'm gunning for a playoff spot.

Don't know what kind of format you're in, but RGIII and Stafford are both ahead of Dalton in my league.He's still QB12, so technically he's a "QB1", but he's too inconsistent to rely upon. I would be way more comfortable starting Romo over Dalton going forward, especially since I'm gunning for a playoff spot.
Your league must reward rushing and/or passing yardage. In a more basic league, Dalton is :moneybag: -QG

it's my fault - I am thinking in dynasty terms, so I will backtrack . . .

I wouldn't rate him (in dynasty) over some of the QBs below him like . . .

Romo

Manning, Eli

Big Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
it's my fault - I am thinking in dynasty terms, so I will backtrack . . .I wouldn't rate him (in dynasty) over some of the QBs below him like . . .Romo Manning, EliBig Ben
I guess he could be considered a QB1, he is ranked ahead of Romo, Big Ben and Eliin both my leagues.

it's my fault - I am thinking in dynasty terms, so I will backtrack . . .I wouldn't rate him (in dynasty) over some of the QBs below him like . . .Romo Manning, EliBig Ben
I guess he could be considered a QB1, he is ranked ahead of Romo, Big Ben and Eliin both my leagues.
I was looking past ratings - in dynasty if I were rating them, there would be 12 guys that I would rate above him.

Yes, on a PPG basis he's a low-end QB1. Is this supposed to be news? I always get confused when people approach stat rankings as if they're subjective.

QB11. Meaning that if he's your QB1 in a 12 team league, you're likely starting the second worst QB in that league. Hopefully you got him late, because he's not winning you any matchups.

You don't get points for stats already earned, he has a better shot at top 12 numbers now with Big Ben, Cutler, and Alex Smith down but he is not a QB to be excited about starting. I think he's just as likely to finish outside the top 15 the rest of the way as he is crack the top 10, meaning I would be trying to trade for a better one if I were chasing a playoff spot.

Lol I know I am biased but frankly I really thought Dalton would be a spot-starter at best for me and sorta an Aikman-type fantasywise. Looked at the league rankings and he's #6 in Tds and on pace for over 30 of 'em. Never would have expected that this year.

-QG

Stafford is top whatever now, but that's because he had a huge game that skewed the numbers when you sum things up. It doesn't take into account the weeks where he likely cost you a W because he was so low scoring. Dalton has done some similar stuff. The QBBC approach is cute in theory, but what's the value in just having 1 QB who has a high weekly floor compared to hit or miss production from QBBC guys that you never really have much confidence in? The drop off is steeper than it seems at various points when only moving 1 spot on the spectrum of 1-12. I don't know the proper way to look at AVG score with respect to variance and how that translates into Ws or Ls. So QB7 in 2011 could quite possible mean something way different than QB7 in 2012, there needs to be some other number attached to the player to reflect the likelihood of him being a landmine balanced with him blowing up.

Stafford is top whatever now, but that's because he had a huge game that skewed the numbers when you sum things up. It doesn't take into account the weeks where he likely cost you a W because he was so low scoring. Dalton has done some similar stuff. The QBBC approach is cute in theory, but what's the value in just having 1 QB who has a high weekly floor compared to hit or miss production from QBBC guys that you never really have much confidence in? The drop off is steeper than it seems at various points when only moving 1 spot on the spectrum of 1-12. I don't know the proper way to look at AVG score with respect to variance and how that translates into Ws or Ls. So QB7 in 2011 could quite possible mean something way different than QB7 in 2012, there needs to be some other number attached to the player to reflect the likelihood of him being a landmine balanced with him blowing up.
What about the weeks that Dalton likely cost you? That argument is weak. Both Stafford and Dalton have had major ups and downs this season. Hell, almost every player in the league does. Here are their weekly totals in just one of my leagues. In reallity, Stafford has been more consistent than Dalton when you look at it. The only difference is that Stafford had higher expectations.Stafford;11.5013.2020.3220.16B22.1415.6236.2811.2029.46Dalton;3.9428.1229.7225.2611.4621.747.10B16.5631.76

I don't understand how QG is biased when Dalton is currently a QB1 is 12 team leagues. It's a fact in pretty much all leagues pending INT negative points. Don't think

he said anything about him continuing his pace and staying as a QB1.

I don't understand how QG is biased when Dalton is currently a QB1 is 12 team leagues. It's a fact in pretty much all leagues pending INT negative points. Don't thinkhe said anything about him continuing his pace and staying as a QB1.
But is any of that thread worthy? Do we really want a thread from a homer anytime their team's QB/RB/WR becomes a borderline fantasy starter?Its just more clutter for the Pool.

Don't think he said anything about him continuing his pace and staying as a QB1.
Then starting this thread now is absolutely useless since it does not help anyone in the coming weeks or years. I'm assuming since he's posting now that he thinks it continues, from what I've seen out of Dalton I don't see it. Average QB, sure, fantasy star? I don't see it. Too many mistakes and inconsistencies, he's a good matchup play (i.e. this week) but that's really it.

What about the weeks that Dalton likely cost you? That argument is weak. Both Stafford and Dalton have had major ups and downs this season. Hell, almost every player in the league does. Here are their weekly totals in just one of my leagues. In reallity, Stafford has been more consistent than Dalton when you look at it. The only difference is that Stafford had higher expectations.Stafford;11.5013.2020.3220.16B22.1415.6236.2811.2029.46Dalton;3.9428.1229.7225.2611.4621.747.10B16.5631.76
I agree that both Stafford and Dalton have been inconsistent and have both cost you weeks. What I'm trying to get at is what is the best way to value players that are such roller coasters. Perhaps adding in the points of the top 12 QBs scores that each week and displaying them along with the data you posted might give some better insight. Seeing how the score they put up each week ranks compared to the top 12 average or something (I really don't know the correct way to read into the data, that's what I'm trying to figure out.)For instance assuming head to head, if you have QB x who scores 15, 30, 15, he averages 20 per week. If you have a QB y who scores 20, 20, 20 they have the same average. So how likely is QB x to be 3-0? 2-1? 1-2? 0-3? compared to QB y? This is basically what I would like to have insight into. How are averages and 1-12 rankings misleading when it comes to win % head to head?

'SacramentoBob said:
'QuizGuy66 said:
Your league must reward rushing and/or passing yardage. In a more basic league, Dalton is :moneybag: -QG
:confused:
My league is TD-heavy. In that regard, Dalton comes out #6 in scoring in my league. The reply mentioned RG III being ahead of him.Dalton 18 pass TD, 1 Rush TDRGIII 8 pass TD, 6 Rush TD. I have to figure that for RGIII to be ahead he has to be in a league that heavily rewards yardage, particularly rushing yardage for QBs.-QG

'hal9000 said:
'r0llin_game said:
I don't understand how QG is biased when Dalton is currently a QB1 is 12 team leagues. It's a fact in pretty much all leagues pending INT negative points. Don't thinkhe said anything about him continuing his pace and staying as a QB1.
But is any of that thread worthy? Do we really want a thread from a homer anytime their team's QB/RB/WR becomes a borderline fantasy starter?Its just more clutter for the Pool.
I usually don't do homer threads (actually I usually don't do many threads). I really thought that this is a guy who's rankings week in and week out don't match his performance and that's interesting. I saw a thread on Josh Freeman, who I think is another such guy. Seems like it's generated some debate and analysis and I don't see what's wrong with that. :shrug: -QG

OK I seen a few references to Romo in here, I am in a league where I own them both and Dalton has about 150 points and Dalton has about 200. I have started Dalton 3x as many times as Romo so far and have more faith in him for sure. This week is a bit tougher between Dalton @ KC or Romo at home vs the Browns, I think I am going with Dalton for the fact the person I am playing is starting AJ Green and I think that should be the right play.

But in a redraft/ 3 keeper league PPR where I went with QBBC I def fill more comfortable with Dalton in right now than Romo.

2 weeks and 6 TDs later :coffee:Hopefully he can keep this roll going. #5 QB in my league right now.-QG
San Diego and Philly have thrown in the towel, so quality starting option those weeks much like all of his other favorable matchups. I really wouldn't rush to start him this week either, if the Chargers get their head out of their ### they can cause problems - I just don't trust them to get up for this game. After last week's loss I think they're toast. Good luck if you're starting him vs. Dallas or championship week vs. Pittsburgh though.

I usually don't do homer threads (actually I usually don't do many threads). I really thought that this is a guy who's rankings week in and week out don't match his performance and that's interesting. I saw a thread on Josh Freeman, who I think is another such guy. Seems like it's generated some debate and analysis and I don't see what's wrong with that. :shrug: -QG
Keep fighting the good fight. Some of the criticism's here are uncalled for. I will take knowledge with some bias (which I do not think anything you said was biased at all) every time over.. well.. nothing useful.It actually surprises me that being as tuned in to the Bengals as you are that you didn't think Dalton was capable of putting up numbers like this? The Bengals have been an excellent passing team for as long as I can remember. Granted some of that production has been due to playing from behind but that is true for anyone not named Brady or Manning.Dalton being only in his 2nd year, some may have thought what he did last season was a fluke, that game planning would catch up with him, sophomore slump or a bunch of other reasons to not believe that he will be FF relevant. The way that Palmer left the team certainly was not as smooth a transition as the Bengals have executed in the past, I can see that adding further doubt about Dalton being the answer or not. I will just say this however, that for whatever reason, the Bengals seem to always have a pretty strong passing game with only a few bumps in the road. I think it has a lot to do with the ownership and team philosophy, combined with often favorable draft position being the main reasons why the Bengals have such a long track record of success passing the ball.Thanks for the post. I think people need to recognize that Bengals QB's are usually a pretty good place to look for points after the top QBs are gone.

He is absolutely horrendous. Surrounded him with more weapons and still the same dalton. Time to look for a new qb.

I don't agree that it's time to look for a new QB (his weapons are all quite young - I'll punch up the numbers across the league soon, people tend to forget that). I'll concede that he sure as hell hasn't been a #1 fantasy QB this season. I just hope for more consistency - they need to get him and Green on the same page - they are not making the same reads on the same plays.

-QG

So I looked at all the players that so far have 10 receiving targets (I realize this leaves NO, MIA, CAR, and GB 1 game short but that's kinda besides the point as it would lower their overall total).

Anyway the Bengals have 6 such players right now with at least 10 targets: Green, Sanu, Jones, Gresham, Eifert, and Bernard.

Combined they have 120 games of experience with a total of 93 games started.

Only the Jaguars have less games of experience (3 players with 50 games - incredibly Jones-Drew doesn't qualify as he has only 9 targets on the year).

Only 3 teams have less games started (Jaguars with only 17, New England with 40, and St. Louis with 74).

I think the relatively inexperience of their core receivers is a factor as well in all this. They all need to get better real fast though as there's pretty much only 1 playoff spot coming out of the AFC North.

-QG

(Btw for the curious top 3 in Games played):

Atlanta has 7 players with at least 10 targets. They total 745 games played and 522 games started, both tops in the league.

Baltimore is 2nd in GP and 3rd in GS. They have 6 players with 10+ targets with 538 games played and 344 games started.

San Francisco is 3rd in GP and 2nd in GS. They have 5 players with 10+ targets with 439 games played and 383 games started.

-QG

bengals should pursue freeman. he would return aj green to fantasy relevance and put the bengals as legit contenders. dalton is ruining the prime of an immensely talented squad. such a shame.

bengals should pursue freeman. he would return aj green to fantasy relevance and put the bengals as legit contenders. dalton is ruining the prime of an immensely talented squad. such a shame.
Hmmm, Andy Dalton is ruining them by leading them to the playoffs twice in his first 2 years.

Josh Freeman has yet to lead the Bucs to the playoffs.

Your post reeks of I own Freeman and want some value out of him.

ofc im not idiotic enough to own freeman. my post reeks of i own aj green and am a bengals fan and am sickened to see such talent and potential be wasted. this team is a super bowl contender just decent qb play.

and obv, dalton has not "led them to the playoffs." the defense has if anything. i would argue the bengals have made the playoffs in spite of dalton. and his putrid and cowardly play in those big games ruined his excellent team's chances of accomplishing anything.

playoff numbers:

41 72 56.94% 384 0 4 48.6 5.33 2.83

ofc im not idiotic enough to own freeman. my post reeks of i own aj green and am a bengals fan and am sickened to see such talent and potential be wasted. this team is a super bowl contender just decent qb play.

and obv, dalton has not "led them to the playoffs." the defense has if anything. i would argue the bengals have made the playoffs in spite of dalton. and his putrid and cowardly play in those big games ruined his excellent team's chances of accomplishing anything.

playoff numbers:

41 72 56.94% 384 0 4 48.6 5.33 2.83
He went against a good defense each year and was a rookie and second year quarterback. What were you expecting? So basically you want an average quarterback that is still learning the game replaced by a below average quarterback that has regressed since his rookie year. All in the hope that it helps you get more fantasy points for your stud receiver.

I have 3 questions for you.

Where were you week 1,2 or 3?

Have you ever heard of Joe Haden?

With your undeniable logic, how are you not running an NFL franchise?

all three of your questions are irrelevant. "Where were you week 1,2 or 3?" i dont even know what you are asking. sorry for not posting my thoughts on this board? ive ripped on dalton for years. you can look that up. i guess i have not but consistent and overwhelming with my voicing of hate for him. ill try to do better. and ya, obv dalton was horrible the first 3 weeks, in particular vs pitt and the bears.

"

With your undeniable logic, how are you not running an NFL franchise?"

might as well shut down this board. altho, i will say lol at you for thinking its an efficient market to decide who runs nfl franchises. and obv ive never once said i would be capable of such a task so im not quite sure why you would even make such a statement.

So I looked at all the players that so far have 10 receiving targets (I realize this leaves NO, MIA, CAR, and GB 1 game short but that's kinda besides the point as it would lower their overall total).

Anyway the Bengals have 6 such players right now with at least 10 targets: Green, Sanu, Jones, Gresham, Eifert, and Bernard.

Combined they have 120 games of experience with a total of 93 games started.

Only the Jaguars have less games of experience (3 players with 50 games - incredibly Jones-Drew doesn't qualify as he has only 9 targets on the year).

Only 3 teams have less games started (Jaguars with only 17, New England with 40, and St. Louis with 74).

I think the relatively inexperience of their core receivers is a factor as well in all this. They all need to get better real fast though as there's pretty much only 1 playoff spot coming out of the AFC North.

-QG
Their youth had nothing to do with yesterday. Dalton was awful. He was antsy, took off when he didn't need to, locked onto receivers and his accuracy was horrendous. He was the #1 problem.

And his down field accuracy has been a nightmare all year. He's not even giving AJ a chance to go up and fight for balls.

The problem with Dalton is teams are realizing that if you take Green out of the game, Dalton's flaws become much more apparent.

all three of your questions are irrelevant. "Where were you week 1,2 or 3?" i dont even know what you are asking. sorry for not posting my thoughts on this board? ive ripped on dalton for years. you can look that up. i guess i have not but consistent and overwhelming with my voicing of hate for him. ill try to do better. and ya, obv dalton was horrible the first 3 weeks, in particular vs pitt and the bears.

"

With your undeniable logic, how are you not running an NFL franchise?"

might as well shut down this board. altho, i will say lol at you for thinking its an efficient market to decide who runs nfl franchises. and obv ive never once said i would be capable of such a task so im not quite sure why you would even make such a statement.
No it is the way you said it, you said the Bengals should pursue Freeman because he would bring Green back to fantasy relevance. Since when do NFL teams care about your fantasy team?

You also said Freeman would make the Bengals a contending team. So you are saying the Bengals have no idea what they are doing by drafting and starting Dalton. Freeman is a horrible quarterback he isn't the missing piece for any championship run any where.

Last you said the Bengals are in their prime and it is being wasted. They have the 12th youngest team in the league, and the key leadership guys and best players are young and are still learning to win. Dalton 3rd year, Green 3rd year, Bernard rookie, Atkins 4th year, Burfict 2nd year, Iloka 2nd year, Dunlap 4th year. They aren't in their prime just yet, they are going to be hitting it in the next year or 2. So relax

The problem with Dalton is teams are realizing that if you take Green out of the game, Dalton's flaws become much more apparent.
Keep it small until he makes mistakes, which he will. Also, I thought he seemed like a ##### on hard knocks. not that that means anything just never really had a personal opinion on him.

Users who are viewing this thread