What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anki Drive (1 Viewer)

Vine Customer Review of Free Product ( What's this? )

There are countless reviews here and on youtube giving you all the specifics, I'm going to cut to the "what it's REALLY like to play with" facts.1) it's big.. no no, you've read it before "you need a big area for the mat" bla bla bla.... people get out a tape measure and mock it up, you really do need a very large table or cleared off space. If you have kids/pets/drunk friends this can be problematic. You don't want anything spilled on it, don't want anyone suddenly deciding to play twister, and your dang cat/dog will either run from the room all fuzzy tailed, or decide the cars are the enemy, and must be stopped. So plan ahead and figure out where you can safely set this thing up.

2) Apple users only, but only recent models please. If your gave your child your old iphone 3 and they want to play.... well you're out of luck unless you hand them your new iphone or your ipad. We only have 2 devices in the house that will actually work with this, and usually 3 people who want to play... it's caused some family drama. You also need to be sure any friends/family you invite over to play also understand which devices will work, and have them download the app before they head over... no one wants to wait around, trust me.

3) Maybe I'm slow with this, but with the chaos of the initial set up, chasing away the pets, calming the upset child, keeping the toddler off the mat, downloading apps, charging cars, pairing everything... well I was dang pooped by than so trying to figure out how it actually worked, and then explaining that to my daughter and then husband... well I'm just saying if you decide to bust this out at a bbq after a few beers with your buddies who've never played before... well... just don't.

So all that said... once you figure out where to put it & how to use it... it's freaking fun. I'm not really a gamer, I'll play some minecraft with my daughter, I own Little Big World 1 & 2 for myself, I play a few apps when I'm bored in line at the grocery store... but this is fun, I do get a sick thrill out of beating my husband (hey I'm home and I get to play more often and so my car has better upgrades, life isn't fair sometimes <wink> ) and any time spent laughing together as a family is a plus in my book.

If you have the space and the funds, I don't feel like you can go wrong with this.. we've even shown it to the grandparents when they've come over and they were playing (using our phones) after a bit of instruction and competing against the grandkids and everyone had a great time.

:blackdot:

We tried slot cars last year but the track was a pain to set up and the cars would only work sporadically.

Ok, looks cool. We were struggling for fresh (non-video game) gift ideas for our 6 & 8 year olds and I just ordered it.

Has to be Apple and not just Apple but new Apple? That sucks. Glad I noticed that as I was about to finalize order.

Has to be Apple and not just Apple but new Apple? That sucks. Glad I noticed that as I was about to finalize order.
Players must have an iOS or Android device to control a car. Use your iPhone 4S, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 3, iPad Mini or newer versions of any of these devices to play. For Android devices, you'll need a Galaxy S3, S4 or S5 or Galaxy Note 2, 3, 4, or 10.1 (2014 edition), Google Nexus 5, HTC One M7, M8.
http://www.amazon.com/Anki-DRIVE-Starter-Smart-Racing/dp/B00G6MWM1Q

Roll out the 8.5' x 3.5' STARTER TRACK on any floor or table
*ANY* table? WTF has an 8.5' table??

(Well, I guess us FBGs do, but it's got the big candelabra in the middle so we don't see our dining companions at the other end.)

It looks cool and I love the innovation. What concerns me is if hair, dust and dirt affects the cars or tracks? We've had some decent RC cars that were rendered virtually useless by hair wrapped around the axles in the little space between the tires and the body.

Also, does it get a little boring that you can't "see" when you shoot other cars? Do you just keep firing? I get that traditional race tracks never had the ability to shoot other cars but just wondering.

Played with it at a buddy's house. I bought his kid a third car. I dunno...they make the cars sound like they have massive differences. I didn't really walk away with that same thought after I played. It was fun, but not sure the cars are worth 50 a pop.

Seriously thought about it, but you can't easily change change cars on each controller and I am really worried about replay with it.

Hawks64 said:
Seriously thought about it, but you can't easily change change cars on each controller and I am really worried about replay with it.
Agreed. Part of the fun of the old tracks was making new configurations, bridges, hiding spots, wipe-out area, hills, etc. I may consider it if the tracks become more interesting and configurable and the cars and tracks hold up to real life. Otherwise this looks like you'do get bored fairly quickly.

This is one of the toys we bought last year for our son at Christmas. He was 9 at the time, he really enjoys racing games. He didn't ask for it, I thought he would get a kick out of it. He's played with it, maybe a half a dozen times. He's more into racing on the XBox 360 than with this. Part of the problem is, I (stubbornly) won't buy another iPad so we cannot race against each other directly. I bought him an iPad mini for Christmas last year as well. It won't work with my old iPad1 nor my iPad2 but it does work with the iPad mini. Last year and most of this year it wouldn't work with android so he and I couldn't race each other. I just noticed they have an app available for the android platform now so I may dust this off and give it another whirl - racing against each other - maybe he'll be more into it? You can race against an automated car, which I think is fun. You can "shoot" the other car, use a tractor beam on the other car, etc.

cliff notes version : I think it's fun as hell and I got a huge kick out of it, our (now 10 year old) son, not so much unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread