What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (6 Viewers)

BustedKnuckles said:
roadkill1292 said:
BustedKnuckles said:
can anyone really blame blacks for running first and asking questions later? they are lead to believe that its open season on young black males and the cops are the hunters.....i wish i could say that im sensationalizing that statement but its a reality to blacks
Why whom? The media? Where are the stories of the young black males who don't run and thus don't get into one of these situations?
Well, we've seen several posted in this thread of young black males who don't run and who do get into these situations.
That's not what I was questioning. I was asking who are leading young black males to believe it's open season on them?
The police who kill two a week in this country?
Honest question, cause I don't know - but hasn't it always been something around that rate? Why is it just "open season" now, and why hasn't it always been? Is the media now just sensationalizing them (because now we have video) of something that's always been there, but is only now a problem to report on?
Because if they've always been killing that many, that makes it OK? If anything, if that rate has been a long time constant, that only helps Henry Ford's argument. Communities talk amongst themselves, obviously, so if there's been a 30 year trend of police killing black men at a higher rate than "normal", they're going to notice and adjust their behavior appropriately.
It probably goes without saying that the trend of killing black men at a higher rate exceeds 30 years. The Jim Crow era was primarily about using police force to keep the black population "in line."
i see interviews all the time with black families saying they are scared to death of the police and that they fear for there kids lives if they are stopped by the police for any reason at all ...so they have ''the talk'' laying out all the things to do if stopped by police so they dont get shot...so yes the parents are instilling that fear as well as the media and the churches and the black leaders ...and of course the kids can see for themselves whats happening on line and the news
I'm white and have also told my kids how to act when/if confronted by police. Every parent should be doing this. Listen to instructions follow instructions, be polite, don't run , oh and most of all behave and don't commit crimes.
I've spoken with mine as well and it was more along the lines of don't tell them anything, don't consent to any search, if they insist on asking you questions ask if you are being detained. Also do what they tell you, show your hands etc and don't run.

cstu said:
We have a problem - how do police do their job if they aren't allowed to search suspicious people?
WTF?
So you're a cop and you pull over a guy who is acting nervous and twitchy, giving you strange answers and you wouldn't think it's reasonable to search him?
No. WTF?
"Great police work, Det. Ford. The nervous guy you let go had just robbed a store, killed the owner, and now we can't find him."
This is a super ######ed argument. The censored word there begins with an "r", ends with a "d" and has "etarde" in the middle.
So in your opinion cops should never be able to search someone during a traffic stop?
Yeah, that's exactly what he said.

jonessed said:
Spin said:
Driving home from work yesterday on a secondary highway, driving about 63 in a 55. There's a car next to me, silver altima doing about the same speed, so we're driving side by side at the exact same speed for awhile. I speed up a bit to get in front of it so that we're not blocking both lanes. Just then a SUV police officer coming the other way, puts his lights on and does a U - turn. Me and the Altima both pull over, and he proceeds to pull in directly behind me. The Altima starts to pull back out in the road, but the officer hops out and points the Altima to pull over as well, in front of me.

He hops out, asks if I knew how fast I was going.

"I'd say close to 60, maybe 61/62. Had my cruise set just above 60".

Him - "How do you know that other car?" Pointing to the Altima

"I don't, just driving home from work".

Him - "Ok, I pulled you over because it seemed like you guys were racing. Let me see your license and registration and hold on a bit"

Hand him my license and registration, and he walks to the other car, talks to them for a bit. He gets their stuff and returns to his SUV. ~5-10 minutes goes by and he starts walking back, clearly carrying a ticket book. Son of a... blah can't believe I'm getting a ticket for going 8 over, whatever.

He hands me back my license and registration, no ticket, and simply says "Pull out whenever it is safe to do so" and walks away.

As I drive off, I look over and sure enough he's handing a ticket to the Altima, with an older black lady driving, and a 20 something black male in the front seat.

Strange feeling in the pit of my stomach, as I assumed the only reason I got off was being a young white male, vs a car full of a black family. We were both doing the same speed, hell I was driving faster just when he pulled us over. I know maybe there was something with her license, or registration, whatever. Still left me with the feeling of straight racism.
:shrug:

Why would you assume the cop was racist based on that? You don't even know what the ticket was for.
Seems like quite a lame reason by the officer. Racing? At 60 mph? :lmao: Who races at the speed limit?

cstu said:
We have a problem - how do police do their job if they aren't allowed to search suspicious people?
WTF?
So you're a cop and you pull over a guy who is acting nervous and twitchy, giving you strange answers and you wouldn't think it's reasonable to search him?
No. WTF?
"Great police work, Det. Ford. The nervous guy you let go had just robbed a store, killed the owner, and now we can't find him."
This is a super ######ed argument. The censored word there begins with an "r", ends with a "d" and has "etarde" in the middle.
So in your opinion cops should never be able to search someone during a traffic stop?
Not without a search warrant.

cstu said:
WTF?
No. WTF?
Not without a search warrant.
*or other probable cause.

Tennessee_ATO said:
jonessed said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Well, we've seen several posted in this thread of young black males who don't run and who do get into these situations.
Eric Garner and...?
The girl the off-duty cop killed that we were talking about a few pages back.

The 12 year old kid in Cleveland.

The guy in the Wal-Mart in Dayton.

That's just off the top of my head and over the last few months.
Didn't those last two have guns?
Let's assume that all had guns. Isn't that our God-given Constitutional right in this country? I realize I'm making a generalization and every situation is unique. And I'm not saying police officers don't have the right to take some precautionary steps to help insure safety (theirs and others). But I think the question is valid at least on the macro level. I mean, if there's "reasonable suspicion" to think you're involved in criminal activity AND dangerous simply because you are exercising your 2nd Amendment rights, then we shouldn't be allowing people to carry guns in the first place because people who do that are probably involved in criminal activity and dangerous.
Man, it's almost like the lawmakers in league with the NRA and the gun manufacturers have created an environment where paranoia and fear is so high that everyone feels like they need to own a gun to defend themselves. How did that happen?

I mean, we have cop supporters and cop haters. And we can all agree that likely somewhere north of 80% of all cops are decent, reasonable, non-violent people.

But what the #### is going on in this country? When it seems like every single day you are hearing about a cop killing or beating the #### out of someone it's hard not to get the impression this is an epidemic. The system seems completely ineffective when it comes to curbing aggressive, illegal behavior from cops.

For anyone who does think this is a real problem, what can be done to fix this? Seems like every single precinct in America is likely to have at least a few cops who are legitimate dangers to society, and the culture of protecting their own keeps the good cops from doing anything about it.

He approached the cop holding what could appear to the officer to be a gun.

That day, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw went on TV to defend the shooting.

"Stop what you're doing and comply with us,” he told reporters. "There's nothing in the rules of engagement that says we have to put our lives in jeopardy to wait to find out what this is to get killed."
Full video

Last edited by a moderator:

"Stop what you're doing and comply with us,” he told reporters. "There's nothing in the rules of engagement that says we have to put our lives in jeopardy to wait to find out what this is to get killed."
Full video
Sure, he followed the guy down the street because he thought he was holding a gun up to his ear as he rode his bike.

He also seemed to slowly walk towards the officer in the least threatening manner possible. Wonder what the cop said to him that made him run? Did the cop just jump out with his gun pointed and it freaked the guy out? Crazy stuff.
I would never ever think about approaching a cop that way.

When a guy acts that way towards the police it's a clear sign of having experience in that situation. Like most people who don't interact often with police I would have been frozen still in shock.

Full video
Sure, he followed the guy down the street because he thought he was holding a gun up to his ear as he rode his bike.
More telling is the fact that the Sheriff believes that if you don't immediately follow an officer's orders, they have a right to shoot you, regardless of whether or not you have committed a crime.

Full video
He also seemed to slowly walk towards the officer in the least threatening manner possible. Wonder what the cop said to him that made him run? Did the cop just jump out with his gun pointed and it freaked the guy out? Crazy stuff.
Of course you can’t tell from the video so I am just guessing but the way the kid turned around and tried to run it seems like he saw the officer draw his gun and was scared of getting shot.

When a guy acts that way towards the police it's a clear sign of having experience in that situation. Like most people who don't interact often with police I would have been frozen still in shock.
So being nervous and twitchy and being calm and relaxed create reasonable suspicion?

So being nervous and twitchy and being calm and relaxed create reasonable suspicion?
oops

cstu said:
WTF?
No. WTF?
"Great police work, Det. cstu, the guy you searched illegally without probable cause is a civil rights lawyer and you'll be lucky to be allowed to give traffic tickets after the 4th Amendment violation lawsuit we're about to get hit with."

cstu said:
WTF?
No. WTF?
"Great police work, Det. cstu, the guy you searched illegally without probable cause is a civil rights lawyer and you'll be lucky to be allowed to give traffic tickets after the 4th Amendment violation lawsuit we're about to get hit with."
Or even better: "We can't use the evidence you obtained from your unlawful search so we have to let him go."

oops
:own3d: perfect

oops
Of course being "frozen still in shock" also means that you aren't being compliant, which also creates reasonable suspicion.

oops
Of course being "frozen still in shock" also means that you aren't being compliant, which also creates reasonable suspicion.
Love you guys. :lmao:

Unedited version of the video... http://rt.com/usa/252877-wpb-dashcam-police-shooting/Does anyone know why it took so long for the dashcam video to come out?
The cynic in me says that the lazy-### media didn't initially ask for it because they figured it was all good, but given the recent volume of clicks for videos of police shooting folks some editor told the staff to ask for the videos.

The reality is, I don't know tho.

That was my guess as well. The media was a lot lazier about this stuff in 2013.

Watch out for Baltimore this weekend. Over 1,000 protesters coming in from out of town. Match meets gasoline.

General Tso said:

Watch out for Baltimore this weekend. Over 1,000 protesters coming in from out of town. Match meets gasoline.
News quality used to matter for its own sake. Now it's about clicks and ratings and nothing else.

General Tso said:

Protests here so far have been restrained and appropriate despite the intense emotions. I expect today's march to be very much in the same vein

General Tso said:

Protests here so far have been restrained and appropriate despite the intense emotions. I expect today's march to be very much in the same vein
12 arrested.

General Tso said:

Doesn'tseem to be as sedate as you predicted:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/04/25/protesters-plan-to-shut-down-baltimore-as-questions-remain/

General Tso said:

Doesn'tseem to be as sedate as you predicted: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/04/25/protesters-plan-to-shut-down-baltimore-as-questions-remain/
Several businesses at the Inner Harbor shut down early and University of Maryland Baltimore was also put on lockdown.

Some protestors looted Forever Wireless and 7-Eleven stores near Lexington Market as well as a poultry market.
Looting a poultry market???

General Tso said:

Doesn'tseem to be as sedate as you predicted: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/04/25/protesters-plan-to-shut-down-baltimore-as-questions-remain/
Several businesses at the Inner Harbor shut down early and University of Maryland Baltimore was also put on lockdown.

Some protestors looted Forever Wireless and 7-Eleven stores near Lexington Market as well as a poultry market.
Looting a poultry market???
fried chicken dude

That's an awesome way to make a point about too much violence. Just use more violence against and put the public (who is mostly already on your side) in danger. And steal things and damage property and commit more crimes. People are stupid.

In before people say the homeowner had a criminal record.
In before people claim it was due to racism. Wait, the article already implies that...
:goodposting:

I mean the suspect was black, the homeowner was black, how is a cop supposed to know the difference?

We probably need to limit the rights of black people to carry weapons - for their own safety of course.

Users who are viewing this thread