What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody know anything about Salem or Eugene Oregon? (1 Viewer)

A guy named Stephen King wrote the comprehensive book on the subject, might want to give it a read.

The Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, a minor league baseball team, play their home games in the city of Keizer, which adjoins Salem on the north.

Not a bad little city - not an exciting one either. It's in the Willamette Valley so it's near wine country, some great Pinots out that way if you can drink them. :thumbup:

The Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, a minor league baseball team, play their home games in the city of Keizer, which adjoins Salem on the north.
Not a bad little city - not an exciting one either. It's in the Willamette Valley so it's near wine country, some great Pinots out that way if you can drink them. :thumbup:
Not into baseball or wine. Into tennis, kayaking, food, and a little skiing. Can't drink much anymore, but will occasionally hit a brewpub.

good choice for you. friendly, mellow pace a little on the boring side, GREAT town to get out of, in a good way. Eugene (down the road) is very Austin, Bend (li'l farther out) will be your Hill Country. If youre a food/wine guy, you're in luck, cuz the Willamette has the most happening growing scene in the country & their chardonnays are the best anywhere. And the best coastline in the contiguous USA is an hr away.

Last edited by a moderator:
good choice for you. friendly, mellow pace a little on the boring side, GREAT town to get out of, in a good way. Eugene (down the road) is very Austin, Bend (li'l farther out) will be your Hill Country. If youre a food/wine guy, you're in luck, cuz the Willamette has the most happening growing scene in the country & their chardonnays are the best anywhere. And the best coastline in the contiguous USA is an hr away.
:goodposting: To the people saying it's boring, Abilene isn't exactly exciting. And it's in the middle of nowhere.

Eugene is very Austin? Well, we'll be looking into Eugene too, then. The only reason we were looking at Salem was because it was close to Portland.Actually, Portland's houses aren't as expensive as I imagined. Might be able to swing it. What would you say are the big differences between Portland and Eugene?

Eugene is very Austin? Well, we'll be looking into Eugene too, then. The only reason we were looking at Salem was because it was close to Portland.Actually, Portland's houses aren't as expensive as I imagined. Might be able to swing it. What would you say are the big differences between Portland and Eugene?
Eugene is where Portland gets the ideas for all those precious behaviors of theirs. Portland completes the "city different" troika with Austin & SF & is a beautifully planned city. The hip people i know think its suffering from a bit of Brooklynitis (hipsterdoofusism) as a result. Rural's the way to go in Oregon, though, & the hills between the I5 corridor & the coast (dont know if there are enclaves or what) is where i'd live if i worked in Salem.

Eugene is where Portland gets the ideas for all those precious behaviors of theirs. Portland completes the "city different" troika with Austin & SF & is a beautifully planned city. The hip people i know think its suffering from a bit of Brooklynitis (hipsterdoofusism) as a result. Rural's the way to go in Oregon, though, & the hills between the I5 corridor & the coast (dont know if there are enclaves or what) is where i'd live if i worked in Salem.
Work? No mas, amigo. Only the wife works, and that's just because she likes the extra money. I'd love to go rural, but I love food/restaurants too much and I hate driving. And forget Salem. Thinking Portland or Eugene now. Yes, I'm fickle.

Work? No mas, amigo. Only the wife works, and that's just because she likes the extra money. I'd love to go rural, but I love food/restaurants too much and I hate driving. And forget Salem. Thinking Portland or Eugene now. Yes, I'm fickle.
you can go rural without losing the restaurants down in the Willamette Valley - its like Napa was 25 yrs ago. and the coastline around Bandon is my favorite place in the country. listening to you, though, i'd say Bend is right up your alley. but you know the reason why Oregon has so much & eveyone aint there, right? more shades of grey than a cougar's bookshelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
'wikkidpissah said:
'mon said:
'wikkidpissah said:
'mon said:
'wikkidpissah said:
you can go rural without losing the restaurants down in the Willamette Valley - its like Napa was 25 yrs ago. and the coastline around Bandon is my favorite place in the country. listening to you, though, i'd say Bend is right up your alley. but you know the reason why Oregon has so much & eveyone aint there, right? more shades of grey than a cougar's bookshelf.
Never heard of Bandon -- we'll check it out. Newport seems like a cool town. Considered it for a while before deciding it was too small for us.And we haven't completely ruled out Bend. Looking online though, we haven't been able to find anything decent in our price range. We're just going to have to go visit all these places.

Never heard of Bandon -- we'll check it out. Newport seems like a cool town. Considered it for a while before deciding it was too small for us.And we haven't completely ruled out Bend. Looking online though, we haven't been able to find anything decent in our price range. We're just going to have to go visit all these places.
My Mary & I engagement-honeymooned there 20some yrs ago & were blown away - went back every chance we could. I hear it's been developed some (someone in the forum said Bandon is THE place where bigwigs are jetted for golf getaways) but that real estate is reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread