What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone have a golf simulator in their house? (1 Viewer)

NutterButter

Footballguy
Thinking ahead to next winter and considering getting something not too crazy expensive like the skytrak.    That's probably a lot nicer than I'll even have it since I'll be looking to cut some corners with aesthetics to save a few bucks.   I really don't need anything too crazy.   The launch monitor will be the most expensive piece.  Then just an impact screen, some netting, a hitting mat, a short throw projector and the software to play different courses.   I don't remotely have the space for this so the plan is to build a shed which will be the most time consuming part.   I'll just run a propane heater when I'm in there.   Not sure if the low temperature that we get in NJ is going to be an issue for the monitor and projector when I don't have the heater running.   I need to figure out the minimum size I really need.  The sites say 9x12x15 but I'm hoping to shave off some of that 12' width if I'm just intending on this to be for right handers.  I think that should make for an easier build but its been a few years since I'll built my last shed so I need to re-familiarize myself.   I know a couple of you golf gods must have gone down this route already.  So anything that I'm missing?

Thinking ahead to next winter and considering getting something not too crazy expensive like the skytrak.    That's probably a lot nicer than I'll even have it since I'll be looking to cut some corners with aesthetics to save a few bucks.   I really don't need anything too crazy.   The launch monitor will be the most expensive piece.  Then just an impact screen, some netting, a hitting mat, a short throw projector and the software to play different courses.   I don't remotely have the space for this so the plan is to build a shed which will be the most time consuming part.   I'll just run a propane heater when I'm in there.   Not sure if the low temperature that we get in NJ is going to be an issue for the monitor and projector when I don't have the heater running.   I need to figure out the minimum size I really need.  The sites say 9x12x15 but I'm hoping to shave off some of that 12' width if I'm just intending on this to be for right handers.  I think that should make for an easier build but its been a few years since I'll built my last shed so I need to re-familiarize myself.   I know a couple of you golf gods must have gone down this route already.  So anything that I'm missing?
Whoa, that's not cheap.

Just my $.02 -- If you are going to be spend that much on the simulator, don't cut corners on the setup. Do it right. The extra few hundred or even couple grand now will likely be regretted later.

Do it right.

Whoa, that's not cheap.

Just my $.02 -- If you are going to be spend that much on the simulator, don't cut corners on the setup. Do it right. The extra few hundred or even couple grand now will likely be regretted later.

Do it right.
The "good" one is $30k. 

Whoa, that's not cheap.

Do it right.
As an example, in that link, the whole space is covered by the hitting surface.  While that looks great, its totally unnecessary.  Another example is if you price out some of these pieces individually, you can save a few buckets.   

Whoa, that's not cheap.

Do it right.
That cheap package comes with everything.  Net, mat, projector , screen

Yeah, its nuts.   This skytrak one has gotten great reviews for its price point.    
Eh, the technology is pretty sick. I get why it's so expensive. 

Then again, I just spent ~$5k on a new driver, 3 wood, hybrids, wedges and a putter and I didn't bat an eye so maybe I'm just numb to the costs associated with the game. 

The picture you see is everything you get 

What's Included In The SkyTrak SIG10 Package

SkyTrak Golf Launch Monitor

Metal Protective Case

Play & Improve Software

SIG10 Golf Simulator Enclosure

Side Barrier Netting

Landing Pad Turf

Choice of Golf Hitting Mat

Optoma EH412ST Short Throw Projector

Projector Shield Floor Mount Enclosure

15' HDMI Cable, and HDMI to Lightning Cable

Micro-USB Charging Cable for SkyTrak

SkyTrak User Manual & Quick Start Guide

Eh, the technology is pretty sick. I get why it's so expensive. 

Then again, I just spent ~$5k on a new driver, 3 wood, hybrids, wedges and a putter and I didn't bat an eye so maybe I'm just numb to the costs associated with the game. 

I'm trying to do the math here and I have absolutely no idea how you get to 5K unless you bought PxG or something.

You can basically buy tiger's full bag for like 4K, (excluding any extra cost after-market shafts) but that includes a full set of top of the line irons.

Obviously taxes and I'm guessing a fitting fee, but man.....#### must be expensive in Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of a friend put one in. Only been over once since COVID. As mentioned above as much space as you can get. Was pretty awesome way to spend an evening. Still waiting for my invite back  :kicksrock:

After that I went on YouTube rabbit hole and remember this one being a good one: Link

I'm trying to do the math here and I have absolutely no idea how you get to 5K unless you bought PxG or something.

You can basically buy tiger's full bag for like 4K, (excluding any extra cost after-market shafts) but that includes a full set of top of the line irons.

Obviously taxes and I'm guessing a fitting fee, but man.....#### must be expensive in Arizona.
Sounds like he went to Otis's guy :)  

You answered your own question within your question - it’s the after-market shafts and grips plus the fitting. 

Basically I went to a professional fitter and was fit individually for each wood. Actually could have been more pricey but I opted against the $650 shaft for the three-wood ($250 option was negligible in terms of overall numbers). 

Also bought a new putter and with the fitting that was like $500. Putting stats were weak and since my stroke is essentially no arc I was recommended to play a face-balanced mallet. 

I just got fitted for new titleist irons. Only 1300 including after market shafts and grip. You got hosed

I didn’t go to a specific brand fitting. 
I didn't either.  I went to and independent fitter 

Thats what I ended up with. :)  

i mean I could have spent more but there wasn't much difference in my monitor numbers with other clubs that would have made the irons cost ~ 2500 worth it ;)

Ball spin , club speed, ball speed and land angle were all close to one another so there was not need to spend the extra 

Just my humble opinion  :)

I didn't either.  I went to and independent fitter 

Thats what I ended up with. :)
Oh wow nice. 

That’s really cheap. I did irons last year and I think it was $2700. Got fit into the Taylor Made P790s and the KBS c taper s+. 

The driver, three wood, and hybrids all wound up being Taylor made as well (sim, sim titanium, and sim max for both hybrids). Shafts varied but maybe I should have just hit up a Taylor Made fitter. 🤣

Oh wow nice. 

That’s really cheap. I did irons last year and I think it was $2700. Got fit into the Taylor Made P790s and the KBS c taper s+. 

The driver, three wood, and hybrids all wound up being Taylor made as well (sim, sim titanium, and sim max for both hybrids). Shafts varied but maybe I should have just hit up a Taylor Made fitter. 🤣
I updated my post. I'm sure you didn't get "robbed" but I'm pretty sure you could have got close to your numbers with cheaper clubs.

Certain clubs you can get shafts that the manufacturer doesn't charge extra for.

For example... KBS shafts in Titleist there are no price increase.  KBS in say a callaway iron will cost you an extra hundy per club.

I hit balls for 3 hours and in the end my monitor numbers were so freaking close with 3 different iron sets that I priced all 3 shaft - head combos then picked :)

belljr said:
I updated my post. I'm sure you didn't get "robbed" but I'm pretty sure you could have got close to your numbers with cheaper clubs.

Certain clubs you can get shafts that the manufacturer doesn't charge extra for.

For example... KBS shafts in Titleist there are no price increase.  KBS in say a callaway iron will cost you an extra hundy per club.

I hit balls for 3 hours and in the end my monitor numbers were so freaking close with 3 different iron sets that I priced all 3 shaft - head combos then picked :)
Wow nice I wasn’t that fortunate. Had some shaft options but pretty discernible differences with the heads I got versus the others. 

It’s pretty wild though how people’s swings produce way different results. For me, my swing produces so much ball spin that most of the clubs get nixed almost immediately. So for neither fittings did I even try a callaway or pxg head. 

I saw one on Costco and have to admit it got my wheels turning. That one was <> $14k. Would be great for a rainy day, but I get about as much golf as I have time for already with less cost. This $7500 you linked is interesting alternative. I have been pretty good this year.

Zow said:
Oh wow nice. 

My irons were $2600 I think.  You pay for the fitting.  Prolly too much.  If you go to just order those clubheads with the shafts you selected it's about half.  I found that out after the fact.

My irons were $2600 I think.  You pay for the fitting.  Prolly too much.  If you go to just order those clubheads with the shafts you selected it's about half.  I found that out after the fact.
Yeah - they only charge "$200" for the fitting but they definitely mark up if you order through them.   My T100 are almost ready for shipping :)

Yeah - they only charge "$200" for the fitting but they definitely mark up if you order through them.   My T100 are almost ready for shipping :)
Yeah this seems about right. Putter fitting was $80, driver $150, and I think irons and long clubs like $125 each. In fairness I never felt rushed or pressured at any point (and probably spent ten total hours there combined) and it’s a super cool and fun experience. I posted in the golf thread about it last year but when I did my iron fitting the guy getting fit along with me was hale Irwin. 

I play enough now and I’m decent enough now where I see value in getting over the ball knowing the club in my hand is the absolute best club for my swing and it’s just user error at this point. 

Oh it was a great experience - I definitely will do it again.  I didnt do putter was already fitted fro free with that.   ANd my wedges were fine.   He told me to be my current driver and 3 wood.   I always get fitted when buying irons.   But this is the first time i went to an offsite place instead of at a store

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I saw one on Costco and have to admit it got my wheels turning. That one was <> $14k. Would be great for a rainy day, but I get about as much golf as I have time for already with less cost. This $7500 you linked is interesting alternative. I have been pretty good this year.
At least for us northerners, I was thinking more for the 4+ months of winter (plus whenever I just get the urge to go hit some balls).  I was thinking I'd have a camera set up as well to record my swing and then I could send that to someone to give me an analysis.  

I used to have one in my house in Park City but we sold that place in Feb. Putting was terrible but long game was good. It was state of the art when we installed it 10 years ago. 

The new ones that use Trackman are amazing. 

So pricing out the individual pieces that I think I'll need, we have the following:

SkyTrak monitor with protective case: $2150

8.5'x11.5' impact screen: $400

Projector (same one in the package I linked in OP): $1000

5'x5' hitting mat (same one in package): $319 - if I really want to go low budget, I've built something in the past using plywood, anti-fatigue mats and astroturf that worked well for hitting birdie balls

Netting: $50 (rough guess on some netting from big box store).   

Landing area (combination of some anti-fatigue mats and astro turf from big box store): $200

Software: $100/yr

So probably right around $4k for everything I'd need.   I have a sufficient laptop to run the software so that cost is not included.  If I had the basement or garage space, this would be a no brainer.   Its about the same price of a typical vacation and I'll get a lot more hours of use out of this over the winter months especially.  I estimate another $2500k in materials to build a 12x16 shed with the plans I found online.  

framing for the screen
the screen i found (https://www.carlofet.com/shop/golf-impact-screens?screen_material=Preferred+Golf+Impact&finished_edge=Finished+with+Black+Vinyl+Edges+and+Grommets&aspect_ratio=4%3A3&sizes_for_golf=164"+(8.5x11.5))  has grommets so i can just hang it right off the wall using some plywood; maybe offset it a bit if there's some movement when the golf ball impacts it.    not as elegant, but i think would function the same.   

the screen i found (https://www.carlofet.com/shop/golf-impact-screens?screen_material=Preferred+Golf+Impact&finished_edge=Finished+with+Black+Vinyl+Edges+and+Grommets&aspect_ratio=4%3A3&sizes_for_golf=164"+(8.5x11.5))  has grommets so i can just hang it right off the wall using some plywood; maybe offset it a bit if there's some movement when the golf ball impacts it.    not as elegant, but i think would function the same.   
That place is legit.  Its where I got my current projector screen

At least for us northerners, I was thinking more for the 4+ months of winter (plus whenever I just get the urge to go hit some balls).  I was thinking I'd have a camera set up as well to record my swing and then I could send that to someone to give me an analysis.  
:goodposting:

Yes, makes sense. I was overly focused on my own capabilities for the space required.

Do simulators offer a really true experience? I've never actually used one and have never really heard much about their levels of accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread