What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone have kids that play hockey? (1 Viewer)

Spin

Footballguy
Two quick questions.  Where do you go for gear? My 6 year old needs new gear just about every season. He just finished his last game on Sunday for this past season, and the new season starts in two weeks, think we've already ordered pants and chest from hockeymonkey.  Being in the south, there isn't a huge used selection for youth gear, anyone know of a facebook page or equivalent for selling outgrown used hockey gear? I know I have a ton piling up, which my youngest is wanting to start next season, so will get some use out of it, but the price of this stuff, and the rate at which he grows out of it is nuts.

2nd, for those that live far from the closest arena, what do you for ice time/equivalent at home? Closest rink is ~45 minutes from my house, which we go to every Saturday and Sunday mornings, but outside of that, I guess rollerblades? I know @AcerFC built a badass indoor rink at this house, but my wife has stayed pretty firmly committed in not letting me turn our spare bedroom into a synthetic rink. Not that it's quite big enough, only 8x11, but better than nothing.  Anything you've done at home that has helped with the skating?  My son has a terrible habit of reverting to using only his outside edges when he gets tired, like he supinates terribly.  I've gotten about 20 different suggestions on how to fix it, (special inserts, balance drills at home, different skates, etc) but his recent coach just told me the fix is just more ice time. 

Maybe I'll just have to convince the wife to move closer to the ice rink.

try sideline swap. I've had good experiences selling and buying gear there. 

as for skating...he's 6. he will grow into a better stride as he gets stronger and more sure on his skates. Have him rollerblade at home and look at the wear pattern on the wheels. 

I'd be more focused on hand eye and stick handling skills at that age. The skating will come. Look at some simple training aides you can set up at home in the driveway. Also there is that ting called SuperDeker that is a board with lights that makes stick handing a game. Its not cheap but a lot of people love it. 

Check with the local youth association at the rink where he plays. The organization I run holds a "swap sale" at the beginning of every season.  We have people drop off old gear they want to try and sell, and other members can get some pretty good deals on used gear. If it doesnt sell, they can either take it back, or donate it to the association. 

It's a good way for a family who may not be sure if their kid is going to be into it to outfit their player without spending a ton of money, and good way for others to clean out their basements/garages. 

Yes.  My daughter plays field hockey (or fÖckey).  We get her sticks from Longstreth.

Last edited by a moderator:

as for skating...he's 6. he will grow into a better stride as he gets stronger and more sure on his skates. Have him rollerblade at home and look at the wear pattern on the wheels. 

I'd be more focused on hand eye and stick handling skills at that age. The skating will come. Look at some simple training aides you can set up at home in the driveway. Also there is that ting called SuperDeker that is a board with lights that makes stick handing a game. Its not cheap but a lot of people love it. 
We got the super deker. Surprisingly my son rarely uses it. Thought he would love it. 

We got the super deker. Surprisingly my son rarely uses it. Thought he would love it. 
My 10 year old son says he wants one for Christmas, since we rarely have any ideas for him, this might be useful.  

As far as gear goes, what another posted stated using Play It Again Sports helps.  

you're on the right track with hockey monkey, I use the clearance section there a lot. Another person mentioned sideline swap which looks like it could be useable, I have the app but havn't bought anything yet.   I have bought used Lacrosse gear on ebay a few times and had great success with quality and prices.

Gear for a 6 yo is nothing for cost (buy the cheapest stuff!), wait till they get older and want that new stick that everyone has! (mine are 12&13)  Hell our association does not even require shoulder pads at age 6 as they are pointless.

Don't stress about the stride, he is still figuring stuff out at this point.  Sounds like rollerblades is your only option in your area, a 8x11 room would be totally pointless even at 6 years old.  I have a couple hundred pucks and a shooting tarp in the garage, they would/will put on the rollerblades and screw around in there quite a bit.  Or like any good hockey dad I make them shoot pucks if they really want something haha

I bought the super deker also, novelty wore off on that fairly quick, mine just stickhandle with a ball for the most part.

My daughters wanted to when they were in school, but I wouldn't let them unless they were really sick.

Daughter is 8th grade and a very competitive player here in MA and has played since your son's age.  Used equipment and low tier sticks are fine for now, imo, and we found what we needed at Play It Again Sports. 

Regarding the skating, we were fortunate to have close access to ice time and skills sessions and a kid willing to go to them.  I'm not sure what you can do from home in Nashville area other than get in the car and make the extra trip for skating skills sessions.  Skating is the big differentiator for his next 5 years, imo.  Beating kids to the puck, skating away from them when you have the puck, staying between the puck handler and the goal, backchecking, forechecking, they all take skating.  It's the stick skills that come over time, imo, and are what he can work on at home.    If the skills sessions don't focus nearly exclusively on skating at this age, find a new one.   

USA Hockey channel on YouTube has a bunch of "off ice stick handling" drills.  

That SuperDeker thing looks awesome, thanks for the heads up, and now have the perfect christmas present :D

These look awesome. Thanks.
The marsblade gets great reviews from Pavel barber and I trust his advice. He is also great to watch for off ice stuff. I got my son one of those rubber lower half of a defender type things and barber does some great stuff with that

oh, and @Spin, I have many ice rinks by me, but the one we go to 4 times a week is 35 minutes away. Just have to know you are going to spend a lot of time driving. Good bonding time

The marsblade gets great reviews from Pavel barber and I trust his advice. He is also great to watch for off ice stuff. I got my son one of those rubber lower half of a defender type things and barber does some great stuff with that
Interesting, I've been following Coach Jeremy usually, but I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread