What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone here know any serious art collectors? (1 Viewer)

Nothing is taking place on the message board. But I can assure you if things go as planned a bank statement may end up being posted before I log off for my permanent vacation.
So give us casual observers a little unspecific background. Did you happen upon an obscure piece but a famous contemporary artist? Now you're looking to cash in (hence the bank statement remark)? No need for names. Just drop us some background story.

safariplanet said:
Real art collectors buy original art and make it valuable. Then they sell it to chumps who jump on the bandwagon with a little apartment-decorating fund wanting what all the big-dogs have.
You edited this post, and still, this is the best you could do?

I know some serious art collectors. I gave a lecture series about art since 1960 to some of the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston's collectors circle group in spring

of 2007.

edit: I know that actor Jonathan Pryce is a serious art collector. I met Pryce when I was a studio assistant for this guy and was hanging a show a the Cadogan Gallery in London.

How's that for serious art business, Fin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is taking place on the message board. But I can assure you if things go as planned a bank statement may end up being posted before I log off for my permanent vacation.
So give us casual observers a little unspecific background. Did you happen upon an obscure piece but a famous contemporary artist? Now you're looking to cash in (hence the bank statement remark)? No need for names. Just drop us some background story.
A friend has access to a number of works that have been in a private collection for about 80 years. A few of these pieces are big name, high dollar works. They will not go to auction. The seller prefers a private sale. I know the seller. That's about all I can say about the story. Call it shtick if you'd like.
I think he's negotiating the return of the art from the Gardner Museum heist.
:thumbup:

A friend has access to a number of works that have been in a private collection for about 80 years. A few of these pieces are big name, high dollar works. They will not go to auction. The seller prefers a private sale. I know the seller. That's about all I can say about the story. Call it shtick if you'd like.
Why do they prefer a private sale?I'd think an auction would garner the highest possible prices.Oh. :bag:

I know some serious art collectors. I gave a lecture series about art since 1960 to some of the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston's collectors circle group in spring

of 2007.

edit: I know that actor Jonathan Pryce is a serious art collector. I met Pryce when I was a studio assistant for this guy and was hanging a show a the Cadogan Gallery in London.

How's that for serious art business, Fin.
I can vouch for all this info. RFW is the real deal, and he indeed has some serious connections in the art world.

Oh I don't give a rat's !@# if it's shtick or not. I just want a story. :lmao:

flysack said:
More interesting stuff -

Tamayo's 1970 painting Tres Personajes was bought by a Houston man as a gift for his wife in 1977, then stolen from their storage locker in 1987 during a move. In 2003, Elizabeth Gibson found the painting in the trash on a New York City curb. Although she knew little about modern art, Gibson felt the painting "had power" and took it without knowing its origin or market value. She spent four years trying to learn about the work, eventually learning from the PBS website that it had been featured on an episode of Antiques Roadshow. After seeing the Missing Masterpieces segment about Tres Personajes, Gibson and the former owner arranged to sell the painting at a Sotheby's auction. In November, 2007 Gibson received a $15,000 reward plus a portion of the $1,049,000 auction sales price
Tres Personajes. Awesome painting with one strange history.
I may be interested if Finless has this piece.

I have a picture of the piece of art I am talking about. This isn't shtick. It's never been seen by the public. This artist falls just slightly below the masters.
I can't believe I just read through this whole thread. I'm now going into the bathroom and stick a couple of fingers down my throat. I feel violated. I'll never get these minutes back.

I have a picture of the piece of art I am talking about. This isn't shtick. It's never been seen by the public. This artist falls just slightly below the masters.
I can't believe I just read through this whole thread. I'm now going into the bathroom and stick a couple of fingers down my throat. I feel violated. I'll never get these minutes back.
Do you have any prospects or are you just here to waste my time?

isnt it too early for you to be outta bed?

I don't consider myself a collector, just a schmuck who spent way too much on a Dali print one day when I was drunk. I talked the guy down quite a bit, but I still think I am an idiot. I will never go into an art gallery drunk again.

pm me pics if you don't mind. I have a few friends with art degrees, and a friend who works at a gallery I could ask.

We still doing this?
Given that we appear to be the only two other people who have seen the item in question, what are your thoughts re: its authenticity, and why? I don't have any, really, since I'm not very steeped in this particular area.
Well, I explained to Mr. Fin why I felt the art was likely not authentic. He actually expressed reservation, but later sent an email "explaining" why he feels that the story checks out. I asked additional questions, but have not received a reply.I thought Fin was working on a second pitch?

What is this, the art gallery scouting combine forum?

We still doing this?
Given that we appear to be the only two other people who have seen the item in question, what are your thoughts re: its authenticity, and why? I don't have any, really, since I'm not very steeped in this particular area.
Well, I explained to Mr. Fin why I felt the art was likely not authentic. He actually expressed reservation, but later sent an email "explaining" why he feels that the story checks out. I asked additional questions, but have not received a reply.I thought Fin was working on a second pitch?
We'll do this through gmail. It's legit.

We still doing this?
Then why aren't you answering my gmail?

We still doing this?
Photoshopping takes time, be patient.

We still doing this?
I thought I did. And good looking out bringing you opinion to the board :hot:What was your last response? Explain? I had already explained. I just sent you a follow up. Lets just leave it there.

I thought I did. And good looking out bringing you opinion to the board :unsure:What was your last response? Explain? I had already explained. I just sent you a follow up. Lets just leave it there.
I didn't give any details here. Settle down. If you really wanted to keep this quiet there wouldn't be a thread about it.

Fin, you should ask some of the famous ball players that are banging your roomates. They probably know some big time art peeps.

Good luck. :wall:

Somehow I doubt an original Moon Mullins will bring that much coin. I could be wrong though, I'm no art dealer.

Mr. Pickles said:
I thought I did. And good looking out bringing you opinion to the board :shrug:What was your last response? Explain? I had already explained. I just sent you a follow up. Lets just leave it there.
I didn't give any details here. Settle down. If you really wanted to keep this quiet there wouldn't be a thread about it.
Wasn't looking to "keep this quiet". Was looking for a lead without having to give up too much info about the actual painting. And that's what I did. I spoke with you privately and you came back and shared some of our conversation. Was a bit surprised quite honestly. Kind of feel violated.

I've got a Dali original print/1st print (I'm art illiterate) signed by him and everything, hanging on my wall.

It's the drawing he did of the centaur, basically using all circles. Anyone have any idea how much it's worth?

I thought I did. And good looking out bringing you opinion to the board :football:What was your last response? Explain? I had already explained. I just sent you a follow up. Lets just leave it there.
Wasn't looking to "keep this quiet". Was looking for a lead without having to give up too much info about the actual painting. And that's what I did. I spoke with you privately and you came back and shared some of our conversation. Was a bit surprised quite honestly. Kind of feel violated.
:lmao:What's with the email silence?

I thought I did. And good looking out bringing you opinion to the board :useless:What was your last response? Explain? I had already explained. I just sent you a follow up. Lets just leave it there.
:lmao:What's with the email silence?
I thought I replied yesterday. I'll have to go catch up on the chain. Give me a few.

You should- or I'll take a pm. I work with designers who are constantly pimping art to wealthy clients... Finless never got in touch.

My wife's niece goes to Temple's art school and her stuff is starting to get some local buzz. I've been hoarding anything of hers she has available because it's just insanely good. We have one over our fireplace that is a forest scene and you can see the roots of the trees, and as you look close, some of the roots are human limbs and you start to see full human reclining figures.

Users who are viewing this thread