What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone hiked the Grand Canyon? - update: I survived! (1 Viewer)

Very limited cell coverage here at the north rim, but wanted to let everyone know I didn't die in the canyon. South rim to north rim is in the books and today is a day of rest. We do the return hike tomorrow. This was by far the most difficult physical challenge I have ever attempted by a factor of ten. The descent and hike across the canyon went smoothly enough. The ascent, however, was an absolute killer. My body (back, legs, knees, feet) held up just fine. But I didn't have the conditioning I needed for a 6000 ft ascent up to 8200 feet. It was an absolute bizzatch. Training at sea level certainly didn't help. The wife was in better shape and didn't have as much trouble. Still we both made it out in 11 hours, which was an hour under out budgeted time.

The experience was amazing. Awe-inspiring beauty like I've never seen before. Combined with a physical challenge that truly tested my limits. Will post more later when I have better coverage.

Thank you so much for all the amazing advice in this thread. Absolute gold.
:clap:

WhatDoIKnow said:
bigbottom said:
Very limited cell coverage here at the north rim, but wanted to let everyone know I didn't die in the canyon. South rim to north rim is in the books and today is a day of rest. We do the return hike tomorrow. This was by far the most difficult physical challenge I have ever attempted by a factor of ten. The descent and hike across the canyon went smoothly enough. The ascent, however, was an absolute killer. My body (back, legs, knees, feet) held up just fine. But I didn't have the conditioning I needed for a 6000 ft ascent up to 8200 feet. It was an absolute bizzatch. Training at sea level certainly didn't help. The wife was in better shape and didn't have as much trouble. Still we both made it out in 11 hours, which was an hour under out budgeted time.

The experience was amazing. Awe-inspiring beauty like I've never seen before. Combined with a physical challenge that truly tested my limits. Will post more later when I have better coverage.

Thank you so much for all the amazing advice in this thread. Absolute gold.
:clap:
:goodposting:

I have a friend at work who did the rim to rim thing round trip last year in 24 hours. I wish i was in that kind of shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!!

Good luck on the return. I suspect that may take a little longer, so take time and enjoy the sights.

I'm out! 11 hours 42 minutes on the return, which was almost three miles longer (23.8 miles). Didn't have it in me to add the additional mile or two necessary to hit ribbon falls. Buttcrack survived nicely Fatguy. I'm tired as all hell, but it was an experience worth all the pain. The hiking group I went with has been doing this annually for about 10 or 15 years. I'll probably be back next year. We have a party room booked and I'm headed there to celebrate.

Will post more soon about the experience and my thoughts (and lessons learned) regarding preparation and gear. For now, I'll leave you with this: http://i.imgur.com/1wAnQdU.jpg

I'm out! 11 hours 42 minutes on the return, which was almost three miles longer (23.8 miles). Didn't have it in me to add the additional mile or two necessary to hit ribbon falls. Buttcrack survived nicely Fatguy. I'm tired as all hell, but it was an experience worth all the pain. The hiking group I went with has been doing this annually for about 10 or 15 years. I'll probably be back next year. We have a party room booked and I'm headed there to celebrate.

Will post more soon about the experience and my thoughts (and lessons learned) regarding preparation and gear. For now, I'll leave you with this: http://i.imgur.com/1wAnQdU.jpg
congrats! Very cool accomplishment.

I remember the steak and beer I had at a steakhouse at the south entrance tasted so ### #### good -

Go get a cold one! Congrats

I rarely run out of likes, but the Blackhawks won tonight.

An error occurredYou have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Amazing accomplishment! I thought it was tough going rim-to-rim with an overnight stay at the bottom. I can't imagine doing what you just did.

Thank you everyone!

I have a friend at work who did the rim to rim thing round trip last year in 24 hours. I wish i was in that kind of shape.
We came across some psychos who RUN the Rim to Rim to Rim in a day. It's like running two marathons back to back while climbing a mountain. Craziness.

Congrats man! R2R over several days is a challenge, in one day is elite level ####. Twice in three days I can't even imagine. I am looking forward to a write up, especially your thoughts on training and prep because it sounds like you executed a perfect plan.

bigbottom said:
Thank you everyone!

We came across some psychos who RUN the Rim to Rim to Rim in a day. It's like running two marathons back to back while climbing a mountain. Craziness.
The first time I went into the canyon on a day hike, I met a guy at the trailhead tying his running shoes. I said, "it looks like you're going to go faster than me" and stepped aside to let him go first.

He said, "thanks" and took off running down the trail. I was :confused: :shock: I had no idea people did that. Phycos is right. I would break something in the first 25 feet.

Last edited:
For those who have any interest, I plan to put together several posts of my thoughts on the experience, gear and prep. First my thoughts on the experience:

As I stated earlier, this is the hardest thing physically that I have ever attempted or accomplished by a factor of ten. We have marathoners and cyclists in our hiking group, and they also agree that this is the hardest physical challenge they've ever faced. It's part of why they come back to do it year after year. Frankly, given the fact that I am NOT a competitive runner or cyclist, I'm amazed that I was able to accomplish it. The training is obviously critical. More on that later. Having the most grueling part of the hike happen during the last three hours after you've already hiked all day is just a cruel joke. And the altitude's effect on your body is not something that I had fully appreciated. We were actually lucky that the temperature was fairly moderate. That said, it was still a 60 degree swing from the low 40s to the low 100s for the hike. That didn't bother me as much, but can be problematic for some folks.

And then there's the mental aspect. Obviously, this is not the toughest mental/psychological challenge that I've faced in my life, but you just can't underestimate that aspect of it. When you are exhausted and feel like you can't take another step, only to look up and see the rim looming above you another 2,000 feet, it's a major mind ####. But the worst part is also the best part. You simply can't give up. There is no option to turn around, as the only way out is up. Knowing that you will do it, because, well, you have to do it, is actually a pretty good motivator. And the feeling of accomplishment as you finish is like nothing I've ever experienced. I won't lie, when people at the rim or the lodge ask you what you did and respond in awe when you tell them, it is a huge ego boost. It's hard not to feel like a total badass.

The beauty. It's really indescribable, even just from the rim. I can't believe that I've never bothered to make the trip and encourage everyone to do so, even it's just to do a Chevy Chase look. Hiking through the canyon just takes it to another level. The landscape is vast, desolate, even lush in parts - it's like you are surrounded by a painting in all directions. Just so, so amazing. Communing with nature in that way is a spiritual experience in a way, regardless of what your religious proclivities may be. I thought a lot about Chance, and a lot about my life, during those seemingly endless hours in the canyon, and while I didn't experience a catharsis or discover the secret to happiness and fulfillment, I feel like I explored a lot of nooks and crannies in my mind that have been shut away by the mundane obligations of daily life.

Okay, enough rambling about the gooey stuff. Next posts will be about the lessons I learned on gear and prep. A lot of it validates the fantastic advice I recieved in this thread.

Preparation and Training:

Obviously, the best way to train for a hike is to go on hikes. But for those of us who don't live anywhere near anything that approximates hiking the Grand Canyon, other forms of training have to be considered. There is quite a bit of overlap, but I would segment the prep/training into three basic categories: cardiovascular fitness, incline training and the long walk.

Cardiovascular fitness: This is the area where I came up short. I was exercising almost daily, and going on anywhere from 2.5 - 4 mile runs several times a week. I figured that this was decent enough given that I wouldn't be running in the canyon. That was a mistake. First of all, because of the altitude, you need to way overcompensate on your cardio. Because it will feel like you have half the lung capacity and stamina when your ascending at 8,000+ feet. Next time, my exercise regimen will involve getting my heart rate into the red zone and keeping it there for extended periods of time. My wife has been doing Orange Theory classes regularly for a while now, and it definitely showed in her stamina on the ascent. Do cardio like crazy in prep for this hike. The biggest lesson I learned.

Incline training: You have to get your legs used to climbing. This is an area I did well in. Use a stairmill if your gym has one. We went multiple times to the local high school football stadium to climb the bleachers (this is Texas, so the highschool stadium is four and a half stories high). I climbed the stairs in my building. Also, walk the treadmill on max incline. My home treadmill was only 10%, but the local gym has one that goes up to 30%. This is great training for your legs. Because if your leg muscles aren't prepared for that 4+ hour climb, you'll cramp or tire and never make it.

The long walk: You have to make time in your schedule for long walks. I did one 21-mile walk, around 4-5 in the 15-18 mile range, and several in the 12-mile range. This is important because you have to get your feet used to that kind of work over a long distance. It is not something that your feet ever experience in one shot. In fact, I'd guess that I've never in my life walked 10 miles without stopping. Your feet ache when worked out that hard, so you've got to get them used to the workload. You'll also build up callouses, which hopefully will help prevent blisters (you should do the long walks in the shoes you'll wear for the hike). I hardly had any blister problems (just two very small ones that weren't bothersome at all). You'll also want to do a dress rehearsal with your long walks. Wear the clothes you plan to wear on the hike on a couple of your long walks. Same underwear, socks, shorts, shirt, hat. Pack and wear your pack. Because it's important to figure out if any of the clothing or gear bothers you, or rubs somewhere. You want to get all those issues addressed before taking your first step in the canyon.

Did the marathoners in your group do anything special to prepare for this, or did they just go with normal distance running training? Obviously gear would still be a concern.

Did the marathoners in your group do anything special to prepare for this, or did they just go with normal distance running training? Obviously gear would still be a concern.
I have never done R2R, but have tons of other 15+ mile hikes under my belt and the thing I have found to be the most different, is the effect hiking has on my glutes and back.

The constant uphill gets my glutes and the time on my feet carrying a pack gets my back.

Incline training, and long walks with the pack (not necessarily a full pack, but at least with the bladder full of water, which is a majority of the weight).

Gear:

Shoes: This is really a personal decision. I had great experience with a lightweight hiking shoe. A couple others wore running shoes (including our fastest crosser at just over 7 hours).

Socks: Again, try out different types until you find what works for you. Only rule is NO COTTON. I used Smartwool brand ankle socks, medium thickness and they worked great for me. On the way back, I did have a small issue with the two littlest toes on my left foot cramming together a bit, so I'm going to experiment with toe socks for next year per Krista's advice. The pair of toe socks I bought were just too thin. Will try a thicker pair, or maybe go with a thin toesock liner under the Smartwool socks.

Gators: Everyone in our group uses gaiters from here: https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/. They keep rocks, sand and dirt out of your shoes. I actually bought a different (seemingly more rugged and professional) pair of gaiters from REI and they weren't even close to these in terms of comfort and effeciency. Yes, most of the patterns are loud and obnoxious, but they are extremely effective and you can have fun with them if you want. In my opinion, they excelled because there is no elastic band around your calf, and the simple way they hook to your shoe. You don't notice that you're wearing them at all, which is one of the primary reasons they work so well.

Underwear: The Ex Officio recommendations in this thread were great. Had no problems whatsoever. Remember, you need to go synthetic here - no cotton!

Shorts: Had a pair of really light Columbia hiking shorts. No problems here either, but so long as there is no friction, the shorts should be no big deal. Some people wore light athletic shorts.

Shirt: Went with this shirt: http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-air-strip-long-sleeve-shirt. It worked incredibly well. Kept me warm enough with the sleeves rolled down that I didn't need a fleece to start the day. When it got hot, I simply rolled up the sleeves. The shirt is vented in the back and sides to help during the hot temps. It also has a collar that you can unbotton and unfold to keep the sun off your neck (though I had a wide brim hat and didn't need that feature). Seriously, I love this shirt. It kept me comfortable through a 60 degree temperature swing. (Yes, you'll want a jacket at 42 degrees, but you warm up fast enough once you start hiking. It was nice to not worry about carrying a fleece around all day.) Has two front pockets to store items for easy accessibility, and a velcro loop.

Hat: Okay, I looked a bit ridiculous, but I went with a Tilley and loved it. Kept the sun off my face and neck all day. The band absorbs sweat, keeping it out of my eyes, and is vented at the top to release hot air. Durable enough to dip in the river to keep wet and cool. Has straps in case it gets windy.

Buff: Another great reccommendation from Krista. Wore it around my neck to keep me warm in the early morning. Later on when things got hot, I dipped it in cold water (at water stops or in the river) and wore it around either my neck or my forehead like a headband.

Trekking poles: An absolute must. Provided much needed stability and saved my knees on the way down, and helped a ton on the ascent (it's better to use four limbs to push yourself up the trail). Even across the floor of the canyon, where you don't need them, I found them handy for a couple reasons. First, they still help give you stability on an uneven terrain. Second, they keep your arms and hands elevated. My hands would swell during my long walks with my arms swinging at my side. That was never an issue on the hike because of the trekking poles. Mine were Leki brand.

Pack: This really depends on what kind of hike you are doing. I bought a Camelback pack with a three-liter lumbar water reservoir. I also bought an insulated hydration tube to keep the water outside the back-pack from getting hot.

Platypus and electrolyte tabs: I bought a one-liter platypus (flat plastic water container) along with Nuun brand electrolyte energy tablets. I would fill it at a water stop and clip it to my pack for easy accessibility. Restoring your electrolytes is a must.

GU Chomps: These are like large gummies and are good for energy (some have caffeine and some don't). I tried the GU energy gel and thought it was totally gross. Much preferred the chomps.

GPS Watch: I bought a Garmin Fenix 2 GPS watch on EBay for about $200. This was pretty much a waste of money. It lost the satellite several times in the canyon, and way overstated my estimated mileage. It was good for tracking the elevation though. There are much cheaper options here if you are interested in tracking elevation. Also, if you're hiking the Grand Canyon, the trail is well marked. You don't really need a GPS watch.

iPhone Case: Rather than bring a heavy case, I just brought my iPhone 6. But with all the rocks on the trail, and hiking along cliffs, I didn't want to run the risk of dropping my phone while taking it out for a picture. Remember, you are going to be sweaty and exhausted. So I picked up a Beeline case. Clipped it to a beltloop and kept it in my front pocket. Worked perfectly!

Headlamp: Go cheap and small. I paid too much for mine and only ended up needing it for 15 minutes. Niles was spot on here. My headlamp was also bigger than necessary and you'll be carrying it 30x longer than you'll be wearing it. Every ounce counts.

And yes, Body Glide is your friend. Thanks to Chaos Commish and others for this pro tip.

Other gear was fairly standard: moleskin, first aid kit, compass, knife, sunscreen, chapstick, kleenex, moist towelettes, moisturizer, map, emergency blanket, etc.

Oh yeah, one other thing. For water purification, I picked up a Sawyer Mini filter system. I didn't end up needing it, but you need to always have something in the Canyon because the water pipes go out from time to time or you may just run out between stations. I liked the Sawyer Mini because I could either screw it on to my platypus or cut it directly into my Camelback bladder system (I brought extra tubing for that purpose).

Again, most of the above just validates everything everyone offered in this thread. Thank you so much for the incredible advice. Please don't take offense if I didn't mention you by name. All of the advice and assistance was gold, and made a huge difference.

We love our Sawyer mini, too. :thumbup:

Injinji makes a variety of thicknesses in the toe socks, so definitely try another type next year. I like the midweight the best, which is on the thicker side.

I'm intrigued by the gaiters recommendation and will check those out! Thanks for that. We have Outdoor Research brand and I'm not sold on them.

For mapping elevation gain, I use MapMyHike's free app and Gaia's $29.99 (I think?) app. I don't entirely trust MapMyHike, but it is close enough if you don't want to spend anything at all. I feel like it's mostly a little off if you do something that undulates up and down. Gaia seems to be very accurate.

For me this hike was a life changing event. I am about 4-5 hours from the canyon and every time I go up there and look across I have a hard time believing I did it. I know you guys have been through hell. This trip could be very healing. Have fun and get lost in the enormity of the whole event. You will feel small.
:thumbup:

My wife and I have a R2R2R planned in October (hike south to north, stay overnight at lodge, then hike north to south the next day). I haven't trained at all besides normal bike riding (~80 miles a week) and basketball 2x week. My wife runs marathons every few months. We've hiked plenty of mountains over the last 10 years. I really need to start training. I'm in pretty good shape, but I may fail miserably.
Hope you've started your training! My leg muscles were screaming the day after hiking south rim to north rim. If you're going to be turning around at 5am the very next morning to do it all over again, I would plan on doing a ton of incline training so your muscles are used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread