What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone not like Eddie Lacy? (2 Viewers)

Roto:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Packers' organization views No. 61 pick Eddie Lacy as an every-down back."We feel really good about taking him," said GM Ted Thompson. "We really did. He's big and powerful. He's got a great lateral cut and spin move." Added Packers college scouting director Brian Gutekunst, "He catches it very, very well. As a pass blocker, he's able to step in there and stop people." If Lacy wins the every-down back role in training camp, he'll offer mammoth first-year fantasy upside in the Packers' high-scoring offense.
And then they took Jonathan Franklin, and squashed this "every down back" talk.

Lacy not drafted in 1st round, fantasy owner :( .

Lacy falls to pack on 2nd, fantasy owners :)

Next day Thompson says he believes lacy to be 3 down back, proceeds to draft franklin in the 4th.

Gotta love it

I don't think anyone ever saw Lacy as a 3 down RB. He's got shiftiness for a big guy and plenty of power and speed, and he can catch passes. But he's not going to be a great 3rd down back.

He was almost universally viewed as the most talented RB in the draft when healthy, but I also think most would see him as a 1st/2nd down RB with plenty of TD potential. He'd be spelled and complimented by a smaller, shiftier RB on the occasional series and 3rd downs... enter Franklin. The Packers didn't have anyone like him on their roster unless you were actually a believer in Harris.

Still very excited about Lacy's prospects as a fantasy RB assuming he's healthy enough to take advantage.

I don't think anyone ever saw Lacy as a 3 down RB. He's got shiftiness for a big guy and plenty of power and speed, and he can catch passes. But he's not going to be a great 3rd down back.

He was almost universally viewed as the most talented RB in the draft when healthy, but I also think most would see him as a 1st/2nd down RB with plenty of TD potential. He'd be spelled and complimented by a smaller, shiftier RB on the occasional series and 3rd downs... enter Franklin. The Packers didn't have anyone like him on their roster unless you were actually a believer in Harris.

Still very excited about Lacy's prospects as a fantasy RB assuming he's healthy enough to take advantage.
Man, I hope you are right because Lacy lost a lot of value to me. But I'm one of those that like Franklin. I would have loved to see him go somewhere he had a chance to start. For leagues drafting right now or soon, I'm concerned with Franklin being there if going after Lacy. I would be worried about Franklin straight up outplaying Lacy in the preseason. Franklin could be good in the GB system. I hated seeing them both go to the Pack. Really good for Pack fans but sucks for us fantasy players.

I just don't get the love for Franklin. He's not special. Lacy is better than him in every aspect. This is a depth move from a team with no rb depth

I just don't get the love for Franklin. He's not special. Lacy is better than him in every aspect. This is a depth move from a team with no rb depth

Agreed, insurance for if Lacy tears his ACL or something stupid like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

A depth move ?

They already had Harris, Starks, Green and they decided to spend a 4th pick for another RB, really ?

A depth move ?

They already had Harris, Starks, Green and they decided to spend a 4th pick for another RB, really ?
You say that as if those RBs aren't all terrible. Well, they are. So yes, I do think the drafting of Franklin was a depth move.

A depth move ?

You say that as if those RBs aren't all terrible. Well, they are. So yes, I do think the drafting of Franklin was a depth move.
Not quite terrible...Harris is pretty raw and did well for them down the stretch...and in the first half of that 9er game. He will be involved in this run game.

Green has not impressed at this point...but that was still while coming off of a knee injury...not everyone is Peterson as far as recovery...nor is Green as good as him...but they believe they have something there.

Starks will likely be gone.

I think Harris will score more FF points over the rest of his career than Franklin will. Franklin is just not good and Harris actually does have some tools to work with -- especially as a 3rd down/COP guy. Expect that he and Lacy will take the majority of time, with Franklin and Green effectively backing them up.

I think Harris will score more FF points over the rest of his career than Franklin will. Franklin is just not good and Harris actually does have some tools to work with -- especially as a 3rd down/COP guy. Expect that he and Lacy will take the majority of time, with Franklin and Green effectively backing them up.
Harris will be fortunate to make the final roster. Lacy will be fortunate to start for the Packers in 2014 - it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Franklin is the starter at some point in 2013, and the favorite heading into 2014.

Harris will be fortunate to make the final roster. Lacy will be fortunate to start for the Packers in 2014 - it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Franklin is the starter at some point in 2013, and the favorite heading into 2014.
This

Franklin and Lacy will make the roster. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot between Green, Harris and Starks. Starks is all but gone. Green has to stay healthy for a change. Harris was working at a grocery store until late last season. I expect Lacy to be the pounder and Franklin a COP/3rd down back. Franklin could win the full-time job easily as well.

This

Franklin and Lacy will make the roster. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot between Green, Harris and Starks. Starks is all but gone. Green has to stay healthy for a change. Harris was working at a grocery store until late last season. I expect Lacy to be the pounder and Franklin a COP/3rd down back. Franklin could win the full-time job easily as well.
I think we may see this though I do tend to think that the picking up Franklin was more about insurance and value. Insurance in the worry about Lacy's injury issues and value in being able to take Franklin so late.

This Franklin and Lacy will make the roster. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot between Green, Harris and Starks. Starks is all but gone. Green has to stay healthy for a change. Harris was working at a grocery store until late last season. I expect Lacy to be the pounder and Franklin a COP/3rd down back. Franklin could win the full-time job easily as well.
You agree that Lacy will be fortunate to be a starter in 2014 part? I honestly don't think Thompson went into day 3 planning on taking Franklin but kept falling and probably was far and away the best player on their board at the time so Thompson traded up to snag him. just a value pick at that point. Though I do like his skill set and think he will get quite a few carries. I suspect he'll be the 3rd down back and will occassionally spell Lacy for an entire series while Lacy will get the goaline carries. Great for the Pack to get 2 young backs with thier skillset considering they have junk at RB, by NFL standards. Lacy is still a top 1 or 2 pick in non PPR but in PPR I think he gets knocked down a few notches.

Lacy is going to end up being the steal of the draft for the Packers.

MJD went round 2 pick 28 when he came out and I see this as one of those situations where teams/gm's blew it.

He is a versatile runner that can run over you or make you miss which is a unique quality for a guy his size. He is a more then adequate pass catcher and will have no problems catching 30 plus passes in that offense even if he is not the 3rd down RB.

I just feel right now that Lacy would be one of the worst #1 rookie picks for fantasy that I can ever remember.

I am not saying I see a guy I would CLEARLY take ahead of him, either, or that Lacy is a bad pick at the #1. Just no player right now to me is a solid #1 pick compared to any other year I can remember. Doesn't mean it will play out worse than some other years, cause some of those years were REAL bad, but that's just the way I see it at the moment.

I would certainly trade down from pick #1 if I could get a couple mid 1st rounders, easily. Or another pick around 4-5 and a future 1st.

Lacy is going to end up being the steal of the draft for the Packers.

MJD went round 2 pick 28 when he came out and I see this as one of those situations where teams/gm's blew it.

He is a versatile runner that can run over you or make you miss which is a unique quality for a guy his size. He is a more then adequate pass catcher and will have no problems catching 30 plus passes in that offense even if he is not the 3rd down RB.
MJD fell to the 2nd because he's 5'7". Lacy fell because he's not an elite athlete by NFL standards. There's a big difference there.

Roto:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Packers' organization views No. 61 pick Eddie Lacy as an every-down back."We feel really good about taking him," said GM Ted Thompson. "We really did. He's big and powerful. He's got a great lateral cut and spin move." Added Packers college scouting director Brian Gutekunst, "He catches it very, very well. As a pass blocker, he's able to step in there and stop people." If Lacy wins the every-down back role in training camp, he'll offer mammoth first-year fantasy upside in the Packers' high-scoring offense.
And then they took Jonathan Franklin, and squashed this "every down back" talk.
Franklin was a great value pick...two rounds later. It's foolish to say it means anything right now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22152820/massive-weekend-for-the-packers-and-other-thoughts-after-7-rounds-of-the-nfl-draft

Excerpt:

Big weekend for the Packers and other thoughts on Day 3 of draft

Jason La Canfora

After seven rounds and too many hours to recall of this 2013 NFL Draft, here are a few things on my mind about how it all played out.

When I asked people about Eddie Lacy's drop, the thing that I heard the most was simply not pushing himself hard enough in training leading up the combine and the draft. The buzz around the Alabama program was that he wasn't taking that side of it seriously enough, it was reflected in poor times and a muscle injury that set him back, and he never quite recovered.

He's a good kid, isn't into partying or any of that stuff, but needs to stay motivated. Should be a wake-up call for him, and that, coupled with the Packers drafting plenty of competition at his position, should keep him pushed as well.

Could turn out to be a total steal there, because some on the Alabama staff believe he has more talent than Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson -- former Alabama backs who recently went in the first round (and in Richardson's case, near the top of the first round).

And, as part of a general theme in this draft of the rich getting richer -- i.e. Baltimore, Seattle, San Francisco finding great value down the board -- kudos again to Green Bay. Between Lacy and Johnathan Franklin, they landed two backs who could make a real difference there. And if the both pan out, the trade route is always open.

A team source tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Steelers "wouldn't touch" new Packers RB Eddie Lacy because his big toe "had been fused."
The Steelers were viewed as an ideal landing spot for Lacy because of their need at running back, but he apparently wasn't even a consideration. Two days removed from his surprising slide, we're starting to get a pretty good idea of why Lacy fell. His attitude turned teams off, but his 2012 toe/foot operation turned out to be a bigger concern than the draft community ever realized.

I think his value is similar to Ridley in NE from 2011-2012. IMO he'll beat out what they have and be a high end RB2 for FF purposes. In a mandatory start 2 RB league, he'd probably be my #1 overall rookie pick. In a league that doesn't place such a premium on backs, he'd be more of a 1.03-1.05 candidate for me.

The prospect of getting the starting RB for the Packers is pretty compelling. And put me in the camp that isn't worried about Franklin. I never rated him that highly and wasn't surprised to see him slide as far as he did. He was a late fourth round pick and should be seen as a clear underdog in this battle.

My issue with Lacy is that he wasn't an elite RB prospect in his own right. Slid all the way to the bottom of the 2nd round, was only the fourth RB drafted, and didn't do much to inspire confidence in his workouts. Below average speed, poor jumps numbers, out of shape. I actually like him, but to me he's more of a second tier talent than a really premium player.

I find it odd that so many are already handing Franklin the 3rd down back role. Neither he or Lacy are obviously better pass protectors than the other at this point, and Lacy is a more than capable pass catcher in his own right. I think it's foolish to assume Franklin will be handed the 3rd down back role just because he's fast.

But with how reluctant the Packers have been to invest resources into the RB position, even a productive 2nd tier player could keep that job for a long time.

I find it odd that so many are already handing Franklin the 3rd down back role. Neither he or Lacy are obviously better pass protectors than the other at this point, and Lacy is a more than capable pass catcher in his own right. I think it's foolish to assume Franklin will be handed the 3rd down back role just because he's fast.
Agreed. That's Madden type thinking. If anything, Lacy's size gives him an advantage in the pass blocking area, if he's willing to learn. And their hands, to me, are a wash.

Agreed. That's Madden type thinking. If anything, Lacy's size gives him an advantage in the pass blocking area, if he's willing to learn. And their hands, to me, are a wash.
That and Dujuan Harris did pretty well in that role the end of last season IMO.

JohnnyU said:

A team source tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Steelers "wouldn't touch" new Packers RB Eddie Lacy because his big toe "had been fused."
The Steelers were viewed as an ideal landing spot for Lacy because of their need at running back, but he apparently wasn't even a consideration. Two days removed from his surprising slide, we're starting to get a pretty good idea of why Lacy fell. His attitude turned teams off, but his 2012 toe/foot operation turned out to be a bigger concern than the draft community ever realized.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165051/article/eddie-lacys-toe-injury-reportedly-concerned-steelers

Eddie Lacy's toe injury reportedly concerned SteelersBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Viewed as a Jerome Bettis-type battering ram, former Alabama standout Eddie Lacy popularly was connected to the Pittsburgh Steelers in mock drafts. As it turns out, the team took the physical tailback off their draft board.

The Steelers' front office "would not touch" Lacy because his big toe had been fused last offseason, reports the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The injury originally was reported as a turf toe, but turned out to be a more serious concern for NFL teams.

Lacy was the consensus No. 1 running back throughout the pre-draft process. He saw three backs go off the board before his name finally was called by the Green Bay Packers at the end of the second round with the 61st overall pick.

"We feel pretty good about it," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said of Lacy's injury history. "I think it could have been one of the reasons he wasn't drafted earlier by other teams."

Although the toe fusion might lead to durability issues down the line, it shouldn't be a major issue in 2013. After undergoing the procedure, Lacy racked up 1,322 yards and 17 touchdowns on 204 carries for the national champions. As an every-down back in one of the league's most dynamic offenses, Lacy will be among the favorites for rookie of the year honors this season.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

I find it odd that the Steelers found Lacy's toe injury to be a bigger concern than they found Le'veon Bell's suckitude to be a concern. Bell's slooooooow.

I find it odd that the Steelers found Lacy's toe injury to be a bigger concern than they found Le'veon Bell's suckitude to be a concern. Bell's slooooooow.
Exactly how important is running 40-yards? The Steelers didn't draft Bell to hit homeruns. They drafted Bell to PUNCH IT IN at the Goalline and get those tough yards.

He's the kind of guy that can handle 20+ carries a game with ease.

-

Seriously, compare the guy to someone like Matt Forte (another 2nd Round talent) and you'll see that Bell certainly has the measurable to produce in the NFL. There are going to be a lot of guys regretting not drafting Le'Veon Bell.

40-Yard Dash

Bell: 4.60

Forte: 4.46

3-Cone Drill

Bell: 6.75

Forte: 6.84

20-Yard Shuttle

Bell: 4.24

Forte: 4.23

-

Alfred Morris ran a 4.64 forty and did just fine. I, personally am stoked about Bell.

(I've got Bell ranked over Lacy at this time.)

Exactly how important is running 40-yards? The Steelers didn't draft Bell to hit homeruns. They drafted Bell to PUNCH IT IN at the Goalline and get those tough yards.

-

Seriously, compare the guy to someone like Matt Forte (another 2nd Round talent) and you'll see that Bell certainly has the measurable to produce in the NFL. There are going to be a lot of guys regretting not drafting Le'Veon Bell.

40-Yard Dash

3-Cone Drill

20-Yard Shuttle

-

Alfred Morris ran a 4.64 forty and did just fine. I, personally am stoked about Bell.

I wasn't really talking about 40 times or anything to do with the combine, I don't put much stake in that stuff. Just watching Le'Veon Bell highlights, the guy's just slow in all aspects. Hell, he had 4 games this past season where he didn't have a single 10 yard carry. With how ####ty the Steelers run game has been these past few seasons I would have thought if they were gonna spend a high pick on a RB it would at least be someone who could pick up chunks of yards at a time, but instead they went for the same old same old in Bell who's gonna grind out 3-4 yards a carry but not much else. Bell doesn't offer much that Isaac Redman wasn't already offering.

People who have been frustrated with Carolina's running game can now switch to green bay. Both guys have every down back potential and mccarthy has stated he wanted a 3 down guy thisvoff season. Maybe one wins outright but I could see them splitting drives or one becoming the red zone guy. I am excited as I wanted the packers to get one of these two. For them to get both plus 9 other picks is amazing. I think ball becomes the 1.1 rookie pick now though.

-

40-Yard Dash

3-Cone Drill

20-Yard Shuttle

-

I wasn't really talking about 40 times or anything to do with the combine, I don't put much stake in that stuff. Just watching Le'Veon Bell highlights, the guy's just slow in all aspects. Hell, he had 4 games this past season where he didn't have a single 10 yard carry. With how ####ty the Steelers run game has been these past few seasons I would have thought if they were gonna spend a high pick on a RB it would at least be someone who could pick up chunks of yards at a time, but instead they went for the same old same old in Bell who's gonna grind out 3-4 yards a carry but not much else. Bell doesn't offer much that Isaac Redman wasn't already offering.
You don't have to put any stake into it. But it gives you somewhat of a metric in which you can judge a player.

IE: Faster players typically have faster 40's.

That less than a 10 yard carry thing is concerning but I akin this guy more to Steven Jackson. This is the kind of guy where the defense can stack the box and he is still going to find a way to produce. Steven Jackson syndrome.

Pittsburgh's interior line is pretty decent and Bell is just agile enough to go off for a big play or two. He definitely has the ability to flatten a corner or two.

He will be a great fit in Pittsburgh's offense.

Look at Jonathan Dwyer last year, he put up numbers in Pittsburgh last-year and he ran a 4.59 forty. And I believe Bell is a much better talent than Jonathan Dwyer.

-

40-Yard Dash

3-Cone Drill

20-Yard Shuttle

-

You don't have to put any stake into it. But it gives you somewhat of a metric in which you can judge a player.

IE: Faster players typically have faster 40's.

That less than a 10 yard carry thing is concerning but I akin this guy more to Steven Jackson. This is the kind of guy where the defense can stack the box and he is still going to find a way to produce. Steven Jackson syndrome.

Pittsburgh's interior line is pretty decent and Bell is just agile enough to go off for a big play or two. He definitely has the ability to flatten a corner or two.

He will be a great fit in Pittsburgh's offense.

Look at Jonathan Dwyer last year, he put up numbers in Pittsburgh last-year and he ran a 4.59 forty. And I believe Bell is a much better talent than Jonathan Dwyer.
Bell will likely still put up decent fantasy numbers just due to the amount of carries he's likely to get, but in 1-2 years time I don't think the Steelers will consider their rushing issues solved just because they added Bell. From a pure rushing standpoint Bell offers little more than what Dwyer/Redman offer.

I'm sorry . . . . . . . I thought I was in the Eddie Lacy thread.

Didn't realize I somehow mistakenly ended up in the Le'veon Bell thread.

I'm sorry . . . . . . . I thought I was in the Eddie Lacy thread. Didn't realize I somehow mistakenly ended up in the Le'veon Bell thread.
Fair enough.Lacy is definitely more explosive than Bell. I don't question his ability to make plays in Green Bay.He's the guy who will be grinding out the clock in the 4th Quarter and in on the Goalline. Has enough speed to scamper for 20+ yard gains.Barring injury, it appears Franklin is not Fantasy Relevant.

I'm a Packer homer, and I am dreaming about the Packer offense this upcoming season, then I start wondering about this toe fusion thing.

Anyone know anything about toe fusions?

I'm a Packer homer, and I am dreaming about the Packer offense this upcoming season, then I start wondering about this toe fusion thing.

TT is the premier GM in the league. I find it hard to believe he didn't know about this. My guess is that he DID know about this and it still didn't bother him, so it shouldn't bother us.

The fact that the Steelers passed on Lacy because of it is irrelevant. I think there is nothing to worry about here.

TT is the premier GM in the league. I find it hard to believe he didn't know about this. My guess is that he DID know about this and it still didn't bother him, so it shouldn't bother us.

The fact that the Steelers passed on Lacy because of it is irrelevant. I think there is nothing to worry about here.
TT is one of the premier GM's but I don't know about THE premier GM. Aaron Rodgers does mask a lot of issues but I have no problem calling TT premier.

Elway and Colbert are also premier GM's in the league and they both passed due to Lacy's medicals. What we don't know is if TT would have also passed if Bell or Ball were available. Only thing we know for sure is two premier GM's did pass and that TT used another pick on Franklin which might be BPA or he might have been hedging his bet. Either way two respected GM's did pass so I have a hard time simply labeling this as "nothing to worry about".

Basically the big toe cant bend at the joint attaching it to the foot. Makes it tough to do things like go up on tip toes....or forcefully plant and push off.

It does raise future concerns due to repetitive force reinjury as well.

The packers medical staff knows far more than I do, I'm a physical therapist, but I can absolutely understand why he was DND until that point.

TT is one of the premier GM's but I don't know about THE premier GM. Aaron Rodgers does mask a lot of issues but I have no problem calling TT premier.

Elway and Colbert are also premier GM's in the league and they both passed due to Lacy's medicals. What we don't know is if TT would have also passed if Bell or Ball were available. Only thing we know for sure is two premier GM's did pass and that TT used another pick on Franklin which might be BPA or he might have been hedging his bet. Either way two respected GM's did pass so I have a hard time simply labeling this as "nothing to worry about".
If it was that big of a concern then TT wound not have drafted him at all. The fact that he did tells me it's nothing to worry about, regardless of the options at that point.

Lacy was bothered by a turf toe injury during the 2011 season. According to reports in the spring of 2012, Lacy underwent surgery that kept him out of spring practices in 2012. The surgery was reported at the time, so teams would have been aware of the issue. With these reports and Lacy's history, I'm sure the Packers looked very closely into his medical background. Lacy still ran for over 1300 yds. and 17 TDs in the 2012 season.

The Packers have been dealing with a lot of injuries in the past couple of seasons. One of the main focuses, along with getting stronger and more physical this off-season, was to address the injury issue. They have taken a second look at their program and injury plagued players (partly contributing to them cutting Saine and Smith). If there were any concerns on the Packers part, they would have passed.

Menobrown, do you have a link to Elway passing on Lacy because of medical issues? Or did they just prefer Ball instead?

Lacy was bothered by a turf toe injury during the 2011 season. According to reports in the spring of 2012, Lacy underwent surgery that kept him out of spring practices in 2012. The surgery was reported at the time, so teams would have been aware of the issue. With these reports and Lacy's history, I'm sure the Packers looked very closely into his medical background. Lacy still ran for over 1300 yds. and 17 TDs in the 2012 season.

The Packers have been dealing with a lot of injuries in the past couple of seasons. One of the main focuses, along with getting stronger and more physical this off-season, was to address the injury issue. They have taken a second look at their program and injury plagued players (partly contributing to them cutting Saine and Smith). If there were any concerns on the Packers part, they would have passed.

Menobrown, do you have a link to Elway passing on Lacy because of medical issues? Or did they just prefer Ball instead?
Ball is very good but the concern (at least for me) was that he already has so much wear and tear on him. The WI coaching staff rode him hard.

I read a lot of stuff and don't remember where I read a lot of it but I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

Ok found it: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23119196/broncos-having-ball

When cornerbacks Darius Slay and Jamar Taylor and running back Le'Veon Bell went off the draft board before the No. 58 pick in the second round, the Broncos had two workhorse tailbacks to choose from: Ball, whose Heisman Trophy chances

(Click to enlarge)

last year dissipated because of an early season concussion, and Eddie Lacy, the 231-pound runner from national champion Alabama whose draft stock fell because of a toe problem.

"It was a close call," said John Elway, the Broncos' head of football operations. "It came down to the medical (report)."

I think it is a concern...but much worse had it been this year.

It was last offseason correct?

Then he went out and had that season after it was repaired?

Seems the toe is ok.

I think it is a concern...but much worse had it been this year.

It was last offseason correct?

Then he went out and had that season after it was repaired?

Seems the toe is ok.
As a Bronco fan i'll be watching with interest since they chose Ball over Lacy because of their concerns

Users who are viewing this thread