What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (2 Viewers)

Trying to decide if want to hang my VT60 or upgrade to something newer. There's a subculture out there that worships the panny plasmas so I'm loathe to just dump it. Have a couple other options to hang it.
I gave mine to my dad as he had a really old crap LED. I loved my Panny Plasma but the LG 4K is a definite upgrade.

Trying to decide if want to hang my VT60 or upgrade to something newer. There's a subculture out there that worships the panny plasmas so I'm loathe to just dump it. Have a couple other options to hang it.
I gave mine to my dad as he had a really old crap LED. I loved my Panny Plasma but the LG 4K is a definite upgrade.
What about blacks in a dark room. Still haven't seen anything that compares

OLED gives what I would consider a true black

OLED gives what I would consider a true black
My new-ish Samsung (couple yr old QLED, which isn’t as good as OLED) has a better pic but for being 10+ yrs old my plasma still rocks.

Now I understand your question.

Can’t you just run physical cables through a wall plate that has blanks? That’s what I did. You’re running a physical cable between wall plates anyway, just run it though a blank and connect it directly to your equipment and have two fewer weak points in the process.
The faceplace is to the right of the fireplace and won't always have components attached to it. The cables run in-wall up to an above the fireplace TV set and that end is behind the TV where the faceplate is one that has the brushing stuff so it's hidden.

It's really about aesthetics as I don't want HDMI cables protruding out of the wall. Instead I just want to plug stuff in if and when I need to (occasionally a laptop or DVD player).

Normally I wouldn't care if it passed through DV or HD10, but I'm angling to replace the older TV with an OLED and am future proofing just in case .

Can’t you just run physical cables through a wall plate that has blanks? That’s what I did. You’re running a physical cable between wall plates anyway, just run it though a blank and connect it directly to your equipment and have two fewer weak points in the process.
The faceplace is to the right of the fireplace and won't always have components attached to it. The cables run in-wall up to an above the fireplace TV set and that end is behind the TV where the faceplate is one that has the brushing stuff so it's hidden.

It's really about aesthetics as I don't want HDMI cables protruding out of the wall. Instead I just want to plug stuff in if and when I need to (occasionally a laptop or DVD player).

Normally I wouldn't care if it passed through DV or HD10, but I'm angling to replace the older TV with an OLED and am future proofing just in case .
Really what you’re looking for is a keystone. The faceplate is just a piece of plastic. The keystone is what connects one cable to another, and those are (or can be) replaceable. I’d look at monoprice if you haven’t already.

Really what you’re looking for is a keystone. The faceplate is just a piece of plastic. The keystone is what connects one cable to another, and those are (or can be) replaceable. I’d look at monoprice if you haven’t already.
Okay,let's just state it super specifically - I'm looking for a wall plate that has a built-in HDMI keystone that I'm assured passes through all the modern signals like HD10 and DolbyVision.

Nobody seems to specify that last part so it seems like a roll of the dice.

And no, they're not across the bridge in Alameda. I've looked there.

I'm going to guess though, if they're rated for 8k (which won't ever be a thing) then they probably should work.

Last edited:

Okay,let's just state it super specifically - I'm looking for a wall plate that has a built-in HDMI keystone that I'm assured passes through all the modern signals like HD10 and DolbyVision.

I'm going to guess though, if they're rated for 8k (which won't ever be a thing) then they probably should work.
Cable Matters 2-Pack 8K HDMI Keystone Jack with 8K 60Hz and 4K 120Hz (8K Keystone HDMI, HDMI Jack, HDMI Coupler Keystone) https://a.co/d/7LSQtMd

OLED has beaten plasma perf for quite a while now, in every test.

Cable Matters 2-Pack 8K HDMI Keystone Jack with 8K 60Hz and 4K 120Hz (8K Keystone HDMI, HDMI Jack, HDMI Coupler Keystone) https://a.co/d/7LSQtMd
I get what you're saying now - "Build your own".

And we linked the same item so... Cool!

Thanks

I get what you're saying now - "Build your own".

And we linked the same item so... Cool!

Thanks
Be very sure that the cable you put in your wall (unless it can be easily replaced) meets whatever specs you’ll need.

You're overthinking this. HDMI is a digital standard that simply encapsulates data. It doesn't interpret that data. All it sees are a bunch of 1's and 0's passing through. The devices on each end encode/decode the data in to the various video/audio formats. All you need to be concerned about is if the cable is capable of passing the bandwidth needed for all that data. An old article, but still relevant and informative:

You're overthinking this. HDMI is a digital standard that simply encapsulates data. It doesn't interpret that data. All it sees are a bunch of 1's and 0's passing through. The devices on each end encode/decode the data in to the various video/audio formats. All you need to be concerned about is if the cable is capable of passing the bandwidth needed for all that data. An old article, but still relevant and informative:

I'm not worried about the cable. I'm worried about the connector passthrough.

Maybe what I read about the connectors not passing HD10 and DolbyVision was mistaken and THAT'S not something to worry about?

I'm not worried about the cable. I'm worried about the connector passthrough.

Maybe what I read about the connectors not passing HD10 and DolbyVision was mistaken and THAT'S not something to worry about?
The connector would have the same considerations as the cable. Its digital data. If it can pass the digital data it's fine.

My understanding is HDMI 2.0 should pass HDR, but I would definitely get ones rated for HDMI 2.1 for future proofing and getting the most of your gaming system if you have one and get a TV that is HDMI 2.1 compatible, as that is were they are headed. There are folks on reddit that think these connectors don't work well with HDMI 2.1 signals, but I would give it a try. The Amazon reviews for the ones linked above seem mostly good, but there are a few negative reviews suggesting they may not be perfect.

Just bought a 75” 4K Neo Samsung from Costco yesterday. Will install this week. $2300 down to $1900 and includes a full 5 year warranty. Installing this week. We’ll see

I'm still struggling to decide if want a more upgraded 65 or a TCL 75.
You won't regret moving up in size. I have a 75 and am seriously thinking about an 83.

Right. In my life, I've never heard anyone complain about their TV being to large.

I currently have a ten+ year old, 80" LCD. I've been thinking about upgrading for awhile now. I'd love to have an 83" (or more) OLED, but the price difference between the 77" and 83" OLED is pretty significant. Plus, my HT receiver is on it's last legs, and I doubt it would allow 4k pass-through anyway, so I need to upgrade that as well. Guessing that's going to cost me an additional 2k.

First world problems are a #####.

You won't regret moving up in size. I have a 75 and am seriously thinking about an 83.

Right. In my life, I've never heard anyone complain about their TV being to large.

I currently have a ten+ year old, 80" LCD. I've been thinking about upgrading for awhile now. I'd love to have an 83" (or more) OLED, but the price difference between the 77" and 83" OLED is pretty significant. Plus, my HT receiver is on it's last legs, and I doubt it would allow 4k pass-through anyway, so I need to upgrade that as well. Guessing that's going to cost me an additional 2k.

Just finished the Amp/pre-amp/speaker upgrades over the last two years. I am really looking forward to a bigger than 75" TV, but that's not likely until after the 1st of the year.

Just finished the Amp/pre-amp/speaker upgrades over the last two years. I am really looking forward to a bigger than 75" TV, but that's not likely until after the 1st of the year.

I like my speakers (thank God). Toyed with going with the amp/pre-amp setup. What did you end up getting?

The price bump on the OLED from 65 to 77 is basically 2x. I see good reviews on the TCL 75, but the OLED 77s are out of my range and might look a bit silly. I like the viewing angle reviews of the Samsung.

Think I've settled on a Samsung 65 OLED for the main room, I still have a real VT60 for what is a home theater type room setup and if that dies will go 75 there when the time comes I think.

I like my speakers (thank God). Toyed with going with the amp/pre-amp setup. What did you end up getting?
I use a Marantz 6013 as a pre-amp, and I just got the Monoprice Monolith 7x200. The thing is a beast and makes my Goldenear Triton One.Rs sing. They are an absolute power-thirsty speaker and need stable 4 Ohm power. I upgraded from a Rotel RB-985 MKII, which was 5 x 125 and wasn't stable at 4 Ohm.

The price bump on the OLED from 65 to 77 is basically 2x. I see good reviews on the TCL 75, but the OLED 77s are out of my range and might look a bit silly. I like the viewing angle reviews of the Samsung.

Think I've settled on a Samsung 65 OLED for the main room, I still have a real VT60 for what is a home theater type room setup and if that dies will go 75 there when the time comes I think.
The price bump is a bit steep going up sizes for sure. But those TCL's (not sure if they still are) are a great bang for your buck.

I use a Marantz 6013 as a pre-amp, and I just got the Monoprice Monolith 7x200. The thing is a beast and makes my Goldenear Triton One.Rs sing. They are an absolute power-thirsty speaker and need stable 4 Ohm power. I upgraded from a Rotel RB-985 MKII, which was 5 x 125 and wasn't stable at 4 Ohm.
Bruce Campbell reacts

The price bump is a bit steep going up sizes for sure. But those TCL's (not sure if they still are) are a great bang for your buck.
Got my 65" TCL last christmas on sale for 50% off. Wasn't even looking to get one, but when it was marked from 800 down to 400, I had to jump on it.

I'm envious. One these days, maybe soon, I'll jump into the Pre/Pro game. The problem is that my entire experience with those systems comes from reading stuff on the internet, so it makes me a bit nervous. But I have two things working for me ... enough disposable income, and a tolerant wife. So maybe .....

I'm envious. One these days, maybe soon, I'll jump into the Pre/Pro game. The problem is that my entire experience with those systems comes from reading stuff on the internet, so it makes me a bit nervous. But I have two things working for me ... enough disposable income, and a tolerant wife. So maybe .....
It's a huge improvement. Dedicated amps are so much more powerful than any receiver. And if you go full pre/pro amp, the pre/pro will be much better at audio/video processing than any receiver. You're looking at 3-4k min for a pre/pro and 2-5k depending on the number of channels for an amp.

@Andy Dufresne or anybody else in the know about this tech crap. Our bedroom TV died, and it seems we are now doing most of the movie watching in there at night. We don't have a ton of $, but I was toying with the idea of a smaller TV in there, but OLED and moving the 4k player in there. I saw THIS advertised when I was poking around. I got there from rtings.com, and their best under $1K was the LG C3 which is $1050 for a 48". Do you know anything about this A2? I am fine if it's just a year or two old, but I know sometimes the big box stores have their own lesser versions of things as well, and just wanted to pick some brains for options. $550 for OLED seemed too good to be true.

I've started getting the urge to upgrade my 75" to OLED so I've started looking into things.

I'd say this for that set - if it's for watching TV in the bedroom and not for gaming it's probably the best deal you're going to find and I can't imagine you'd be anything less than satisfied with it. The only downside I've read is that it's not the brightest.

I've started getting the urge to upgrade my 75" to OLED so I've started looking into things.

I'd say this for that set - if it's for watching TV in the bedroom and not for gaming it's probably the best deal you're going to find and I can't imagine you'd be anything less than satisfied with it. The only downside I've read is that it's not the brightest.

Thanks. 0 gaming will be done on it, just like I said - movie watching and I toyed with brining in the 4K player if it would have a better picture than the Hisense in the living room. With the low refresh rate, would there be some blur too, or am I thinking incorrectly? Also, if my internet is garbage am I wasting $ on OLED, or is it still worth the upgrade?

If I am thinking correctly, that TV is << other OLEDs, but >>> than what my Hisense is doing by default of being OLED, so the cheap price tag would be justified? I would have just gone better if it was just a couple hundred, but nearly 1/2 price gave me a lot of pause.

We need to upgrade our old 55 inch Sony. The thing has been a beast and served us well. but the time has come. I want to go 85 inch, but this will be wall mounted, going in a very, very bright great room (26 foot ceiling with lots of windows-the top row of which do not have coverings). What would you all suggest is the best type of tv for a room like this?

Thanks. 0 gaming will be done on it, just like I said - movie watching and I toyed with brining in the 4K player if it would have a better picture than the Hisense in the living room. With the low refresh rate, would there be some blur too, or am I thinking incorrectly? Also, if my internet is garbage am I wasting $ on OLED, or is it still worth the upgrade?
You wouldn't have any problem with the refresh rate.

And OLED doesn't "consume" more information than LED. The difference is that OLED lights each individual pixel whereas LED backlights the panel. So it's the light source that's different, not the internet signal.

We need to upgrade our old 55 inch Sony. The thing has been a beast and served us well. but the time has come. I want to go 85 inch, but this will be wall mounted, going in a very, very bright great room (26 foot ceiling with lots of windows-the top row of which do not have coverings). What would you all suggest is the best type of tv for a room like this?
Ratings.com is one of the go to sources for this type of question. Like most things the answer is "depends on your budget".

Users who are viewing this thread