What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone selling Reggie Wayne (1 Viewer)

JbizzleMan

Footballguy
I own him in my dynasty PPR league. Is anyone else worried about a big drop-off coming up soon? He doesn't seem to be the focal point in the offense anymore and has a lot of red-zone competition. What would you sell him for if you were? I'd love to be ahead of the curve and get some great value out of him if I could.

He finished the year 2nd in targets in the NFL. I think Dallas Clark being injured had alot to do with his down year. Teams could focus on trying to shut him down without having to worry about Clark.

He's not elite....he's second tier.

Depends on what you're looking to get for him but I think the time to sell him in Dynasty was before this year.

You could look to sell for a big-time rookie. Supposed to be a really good WR class this year. As far as Wayne, I think the decline has begun. I agree, no longer 1st tier.

The time to sell him was before this season started and even then, because of his age, he did not command the price that he should have. He got a lot of catches, but the TD production (only 5 for the season IIRC) is very troubling.

As far as what you can get, in the right league, people will still probably be willing to a mid-first rookie draft pick, as he probably has at least 2 good years of productivity left. However, I think the days of trading him for a potentially elite prospect are over.

Last edited by a moderator:
was offered him straight up for Britt - I passed.

Don't know if owners will get the value they are looking for at this point.

Great guy to pick up if your a player or 2 away. His value is low and to me it is stupid. Look at his production, look at the fact that clark was out and how that deeply affected his TD numbers and don;t read into 5 TD's...for WR's TD'are cyclical.

You also can't predict that a guy will not come thorough in week 15 or 16 or both...you need to get there first. Wayne is a vital cog on a couple of my teams and I would not sell him thinking I will get any type of value for him...that time came and went. Certain players I have kept till the end Wayne is one of those (TO, Westbrook, Harrison,Tiki Barber) When you get titles you keep some of your vets forever. A mistake a lot of dynasty owners make is selling too soon...or selling for the sake of selling. No where is it written you have to sell players before they die. Some guys (like Wayne IMO) can give you very good production well into their late 30's.

In ppr leagues this guy is a great player and for the most part reliable. He will not command more than a mid to late 1st round rookie pick. (6-12 in a 12 team league). He is a nice piece to a championship puzzle.

I love guys like this. Donald Driver was one of those guys (it's over but the last 3 years he was highly undervalued). Wayne is in great shape and has at least next year and most likely 2 years of very good ppr production and is a super solid WR to have on a team contending.

The time to sell him was before this season started and even then, because of his age, he did not command the price that he should have. He got a lot of catches, but the TD production (only 5 for the season IIRC) is very troubling.

As far as what you can get, in the right league, people will still probably be willing to a mid-first rookie draft pick, as he probably has at least 2 good years of productivity left. However, I think the days of trading him for a potentially elite prospect are over.
I can list plenty of rookies drafted between 6-12 who ended up being top or close to tope tier guys, and that is what you can get for Reggie Wayne as far as rookie draft picks. You just have to draft well.

He has more value to me than what I'd get in return. I'll ride him til the wheels fall off. Seven years ago I started trying to "sell high" on a 30 year old Terrell Owens after he blew up his first year with McNabb. Unfortunately everybody saw the same thing I did - that TO was a career head case whose best years were behind him. I held firm, requiring a 1st rounder for anybody that wanted him. No takers. That process repeated itself every offseason for the next six years, of which TO was no small part of my three championships in that span, before I finally sold him last offseason (for a 2nd rounder).

In dynasty, I think we can get so caught up on youth and potential that we gloss over the value a player represents for you THIS year. I'd probably let Reggie go for a early-ish first round dynasty pick but nobody will pay it. And that's fine by me thank you very much.

I can list plenty of rookies drafted between 6-12 who ended up being top or close to tope tier guys, and that is what you can get for Reggie Wayne as far as rookie draft picks. You just have to draft well.
We are getting into semantics but most who have a 1.08 draft pick don't usually think, "Oh, I am definitely getting an elite prospect with this." What I was talking about is the top 3 picks, maybe the top 5 (depending on the draft) - that is what the conventional wisdom is beforehand as to what is considered potentially elite. Yes, you have to draft well, but you can also find a top tier guy in the 2nd or 3rd rounds if you can really draft well. My point was that potentially elite is usually considered the can't miss players (or as close as can be determined) Obviously, I did not do a good job in my phrasing of this.

Was able to peddle him in a dynasty league on draft day and got Dez Bryant. I think Indy's best days are behind them and I think Dallas Clark going down showed just how valuable he is to that offense. Too many guys getting too old to be worth a damn for much longer so I got rid of him while he still had value.

Was able to peddle him in a dynasty league on draft day and got Dez Bryant. I think Indy's best days are behind them and I think Dallas Clark going down showed just how valuable he is to that offense. Too many guys getting too old to be worth a damn for much longer so I got rid of him while he still had value.
The guy had 100+ catches and 1300+ yds, along with his 6 TDs this season. The TDs are low but I don't know why everyone thinks he's worthless now. In ppr he ended up being the 3rd best WR this year. No way would I sell him for a late 1st rounder. Top 3, sure, but I would rather ride Wayne off into the sunset than give him up for the 1.08 or so.

I sold him for the 1.06 in this year's draft, but only because I have him for one more year under contract and he was barely cracking my lineup this year. I can sign a rookie to 5 years, so rolling the dice and hoping to land a top 3 WR from this year's class with the pick.

traded him on draft day this year (Keeper switching to Dynasty) and got a pair of picks for him. I thought his reputation was higher than his output, but he had a solid year. Probably has two more left and could be a great add for a team trying to win next year if you could get him for a low 1st round pick

The guy had 100+ catches and 1300+ yds, along with his 6 TDs this season. The TDs are low but I don't know why everyone thinks he's worthless now. In ppr he ended up being the 3rd best WR this year. No way would I sell him for a late 1st rounder. Top 3, sure, but I would rather ride Wayne off into the sunset than give him up for the 1.08 or so.
Fair enough, but I would rather get rid of a guy a year early than a year late.

Not me. A year late is what it is. But a year early can turn into two...three...four. Next thing you know you gave up the latter third of a stud's career for a slight CHANCE at a comparable guy.

The guy had 100+ catches and 1300+ yds, along with his 6 TDs this season. The TDs are low but I don't know why everyone thinks he's worthless now. In ppr he ended up being the 3rd best WR this year.

No way would I sell him for a late 1st rounder. Top 3, sure, but I would rather ride Wayne off into the sunset than give him up for the 1.08 or so.
Not me. A year late is what it is. But a year early can turn into two...three...four. Next thing you know you gave up the latter third of a stud's career for a slight CHANCE at a comparable guy.
I agree. That is the downside of managing your dynasty team like a stock portfolio - trying to maximize value by always trading a player away at a perceived peak for an unproven rookie can come back to bite you. Sometimes these past their prime players outlast their expiration date for years, like Derrick Mason, Donald Driver and Hines Ward (not to mention T.O.) and sometimes the promising rookie is a bust. It is a question of philosopy, but I would rather hold a player and just get a few more good years, rather than trade him for a pick that statistically has no better than about a 30% chance of succeeding. To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread