What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone starting Vereen this week? (1 Viewer)

rjv

Footballguy
I know it's his first week back bit the offense seems to be clicking. With only a wrist injury, seems like he would be in shape to start right away being that his legs are fresh and core would be ready to go.

I know it's his first week back bit the offense seems to be clicking. With only a wrist injury, seems like he would be in shape to start right away being that his legs are fresh and core would be ready to go.
They haven't activated him yet, so I'll wait for that, at least.

That being said, I'll probably leave him on the bench. Hoping he plays & plays well-have Shady out in week 12.

If he's active, I'm starting him. I made the mistake of the "wait and see approach" last week with Andre Brown and it cost me. Gotta strike while the iron's hot.

Starting him due to bye/injury. If he's active of course. Most players this year have had nice games back from injury or suspension. Gordon, blackmon, Brown.

For what it's worth here's the latest news as posted on MyFantyasyLeague:

(KFFL)New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said RB Shane Vereen (wrist) will have a role when he is activated from the Injured Reserve/Designated to Return list but is not sure when Vereen will be able to return. "As soon as he is ready and able to help us and we are able to play him, certainly he will have a role in the game. He definitely did make a big impact in game one. I don't know if we can expect him to do that right off the bat in his first game back, whenever that is. We'll look forward to having him back."

With Stacy on a bye, I have one of JStew/SJax/MBall/Vereen to pair with Lacy as my RB2..

All those guys have the same real questions marks that Vereen does, but he's obviously got the highest upside. I'll be rolling with him if he is active.

I may have no choice with James going down last night. Its Lacy, P Thomas, Jstew/Dwill as my alternatives.

I don't think I can play him over Sproles/Bell/Moreno in a PPR format. I'm taking a week to wait and see what he does.

The pats are the most hush-hush team in history under Belichick.

I wouldnt be surprised if the tema is saying hes likely not going to play...or if he does he 'Will only have a limited role" ....them BAM 28 carries, 4 grabs and 2 TD's.

You just never know.. ala Andre Brown, Josh Gordon, etc etc

..That said, can I really start him over Gio or Andre Brown? Or put him in the Flex over Matt Ryan? I just dont see him working into the picture. But lets hope he breaks out

Last edited by a moderator:
Was wandering but in my situation I'm going with Ellington and having a wait and see approach.

RB's return could provide 'relief' for Brandon Bolden
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

(10:59 am ET) The return of Shane Vereen (wrist) is expected to provide a boost to the Patriots' backfield and help in more ways than expected. Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears told the Boston Globe running back Brandon Bolden (knee) has been playing hurt and could use some "relief."

Bolden carried the ball only three times Week 9 vs. Pittsburgh, but he averaged 12 yards per carry.

Seems like a tough match up to start him against Carolina.

Add the bad matchup to the fact that in that first good game: 1- no Gronk 2- Dobson and Thompkins first NFL games 3- Ridley benched for fumble

Now Gronk is back, Dobson and Thompkins are more developed and trusted, Ridley is back in the good graces of BB.

I think it will be tough to start him not knowing exactly how he fits in with the changes since week 1. I am sitting him for A Brown in one league and Le'Von Bell in another.

If he's active, it will be down to him or Colston in my flex spot. I won't be starting him at RB over McCoy or Lacy.

More than likely I'll ride the hot hand with Colston and hope for a good game from Vereen (or at least signs of life, I'm a Panthers fan...so I am not hoping for TOO big of a game), so he can fill in for McCoy when he's on bye next week.

He's been practicing for 2 weeks. Its a gut call because he's playing Monday night and I would expect you won't hear anything official until then. That being said, I think that the match-up hurts Ridley far more than Vereen. In fact, their potential inability to run the ball may help Vereen as they'll try to hit him on screens and get him the ball in the flats. He could get 7-8 receptions and with that he could definitely break off a long TD. Lots of potential but I'd say his floor is probably 45 total yards, 4 receptions, 0 TD's

Add the bad matchup to the fact that in that first good game: 1- no Gronk 2- Dobson and Thompkins first NFL games 3- Ridley benched for fumble

Now Gronk is back, Dobson and Thompkins are more developed and trusted, Ridley is back in the good graces of BB.

I think it will be tough to start him not knowing exactly how he fits in with the changes since week 1. I am sitting him for A Brown in one league and Le'Von Bell in another.
That could work in Vereen's favor. CAR is very stout against the run, really good defense overall. It's that type of team where BB will look to use some of his interchangeable parts to create mismatches, especially through the air.

Considering a start as a RB/WR/TE flex. Would be my RB3 in this particular lineup.

I realize the matchup with Carolina is a tough one, but that could actually be a boon to Vereen. At 82 rushing yards allowed per game (2nd in NFL) and 2 TDs allowed (T-2nd with KC), the Panthers are not likely to be gashed -- or anything close to it -- by Ridley. Past Patriot teams have not been shy about going to a heavy pass approach against top rushing defenses. Vereen's health and fitness are obvious question marks, but it's possible Vereen will get a fairly significant snap count due to the approach taken by the Patriots on offense.

That could work in Vereen's favor. CAR is very stout against the run, really good defense overall. It's that type of team where BB will look to use some of his interchangeable parts to create mismatches, especially through the air.
Koya, as you can see, I was posting the same thing as yours arrived. Thinking alike I see. Hope that's a good thing!

I didn't keep him on my bench all season just to play Pierre Thomas or Rashad Jennings over him when he's finally available.

Charles and Andre Brown are locked in, but have to choose between Vereen and Jennings in a non-PPR

Currently leaning Jennings but will change 10 times between now and Sunday.

I own him in 3 leagues, but he's probably on my bench in all 3. Tough matchup, and I have good options elsewhere. I could use him in week 12, though, so I'm hoping for a glimpse of week 1.

Hes benched in Favor of Gio and Andre Brown.

Matt Ryan in the Flex (50 pass yds/point & 4pt td's) and a cold streak has me itching to flex Shane

I wont decide until Sunday at 11:45

What do you see happening with Ridley? Not sure what to do here. I have Ridley and picked up Vereen a couple of weeks ago. Now I have a chance to pickup Andre Brown (I know, how is he still available). Do I drop Ridley or Vereen for Brown? Or keep them both to see how it goes? My other RB's are AP and Le'Veon Bell. :) Do have a flex spot also.

I think I'll be starting Vereen over Steven Jackson. There was recent news about Jackson getting more touches but he has performed terribly in my league so far.

I have him in 3 leagues. If he's activated then I'm sitting him for Tate in one, starting him over Ridley in another, and sitting him for either Geo or Josh Gordon in the third.

I have him on the bench but my main goal is to make everyone I offered to trade him to regret not taking the offer.... which I will then be glad was never taken.

Charles and Andre Brown are locked in, but have to choose between Vereen and Jennings in a non-PPR

Currently leaning Jennings but will change 10 times between now and Sunday.
Same spot but mine is .5 PPR. I feel like Jennings is the better play unfortunately. The thing that makes it hard to bench Jennings is that he also has a high ceiling. Maybe even higher than Vereen since he should be getting more touches than him. Higher floor and higher ceiling makes it really hard to bench him. Really would love to play Vereen though.

If he's active, I'm starting him. I made the mistake of the "wait and see approach" last week with Andre Brown and it cost me. Gotta strike while the iron's hot.
I think it's a different situation with Vereen versus Brown. Vereen has a young guy ahead of him in Ridley that has been producing for a season and a half, while Brown had a retread in Hillis to compete with. While you never know with Bill, I don't see Vereen getting a huge amount of touches just yet. Unless of course Ridley fumbles his way onto the bench on MNF.

So is Ridley not playing?
Ridley starting doesn't really affect Vereen's value. They are very different players. There's plenty to go around in this backfield.... think of it in terms of Pierre Thomas and Sproles. They often each have big games together, as they did this past week. Here's an article from the summer I posted in the other Vereen thread.

The Patriots have had quite a run of third-down backs since Bill Belichick ditched the Jets to take over in New England. Kevin Faulk, who joined the team as a third-round pick way back in 1999 when the team was still wearing royal blue uniforms and Pete Carroll was roaming the sidelines, was passed down to Belichick.

Faulk carved out a steady role with the team, only twice racking up more than 200 touches (2000 and 2003) and just four times piling up more than 100 touches (2000, 2003, 2007, 2008). He only racked up 1,000-plus yards twice (2000 and 2003) and mostly kept a balance between balls he caught and carried. After Faulk lost a step, Danny Woodhead fell into the Patriots’ lap after being cut by the Jets. He took over what Faulk started in 2007 and 2008 by racking up 342 touches over three seasons with 92 catches and 250 carries (the role of a running back as a pass catcher started to diminish as the Patriots began using more two tight end sets).

Now, Shane Vereen is set to take over the Faulk role. And if the original Faulk was version 1.0, Woodhead was 1.5 and Vereen is set to become 2.0. And that’s not just because Vereen is taller than his predecessors, though it certainly helps. Woodhead and Faulk were both listed at 5-foot-7 and 5/8 coming out of Chadron State and LSU, respectively. Vereen is more than two inches taller at 5-foot-10 and 1/4. He shares Woodhead and Faulk’s speed and wiggle out of the backfield, but he also offers more as a receiver. That wasn’t made more evident than in the Patriots’ divisional playoff game against the Texans when Vereen beat Barrett Ruud 33 yards down the sideline for a touchdown. NFL Films captured the moment perfectly.

After the play, Tom Brady heads over to running backs coach Ivan Fears and says, ”All week we go, ‘Patience, patience.’ There was no patience. He just ran!” Vereen explained himself the best he could, “I was too excited.” Brady wasn’t criticizing the second-year player, though, saying, “I don’t care. That was sweet.” That’s a classic exchange between two teammates after a big play, but it also shows that Josh McDaniels trusts Vereen to be running option routes split out wide at receiver. Vereen saw he had an eight-year veteran, who only ran a 4.75-second 40-yard dash before his rookie season, covering him. He knew he could beat him deep, so he went for it. Expect more of that in 2013.

In 2012, Woodhead was targeted 51 times to Vereen’s 19. Out of those targets, Woodhead ran 12 “receiver routes,” as categorized by Pro Football Focus, to Vereen’s six. Woodhead caught seven of those targets on receiver routes for 57 yards with 32 yards coming after the catch. Vereen caught four passes on his receiver routes for 80 yards and a touchdown with 49 yards after catch. In total, Vereen caught 15 of 19 passes thrown his way for 254 yards and three touchdowns. He had 207 yards after catch and just one drop.

Vereen may not offer the same kind of versatility as Aaron Hernandez, but he could be the prime beneficiary of the released tight end’s playing time. Belichick preaches putting the best 11 players on the field. That could mean seeing Stevan Ridley and Vereen play at the same time. Like having Hernandez on the field, Ridley and Vereen sharing the gridiron could cause headaches for opposing defensive coordinators. Vereen proved it isn’t wise to throw a linebacker on him against the Texans, but sticking an extra defensive back on the field may mean the Patriots will be running wild with either rushing option. With fewer two-wide receiver sets comes more targets for running backs in general. So, while Vereen had 62 carries to eight receptions in the regular season and Woodhead had 76 carries to 40 catches, expect Vereen’s carries-to-catches ratio to even out more like Faulk’s used to before Gronkowski and Hernandez came along.

Vereen will take on the role of the third-down back, but he’ll also be on the field as a second or third wideout and as a second running back. Even before the Hernandez situation unfolded, Vereen was expected to have a breakout role in 2013, taking over Woodhead’s role. But with another spot on the offense opened up, Vereen could have as much of an impact on the offense as Ridley or Danny Amendola.

Also, you guys are starting to convince me to roll him out there this week. :oldunsure:

With Stacy on a bye, my only other realistic flex option is Mike Wallace, who has been disappointing to say the least.

Also, you guys are starting to convince me to roll him out there this week. :oldunsure:

With Stacy on a bye, my only other realistic flex option is Mike Wallace, who has been disappointing to say the least.
If you gotta take a flier, ok then. Just not over Mike Wallace. That's be silly. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread