What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple Vision Pro (1 Viewer)

As a member of the Cult of Jobs - I'd love to have one to play with but $3500 is too much for my budget.

I think AR will be huge, though likely not for awhile.

I got one and just fired it up for about 15 minutes through set up and watched the dinosaur app. So far, very cool. I definitely noticed the weight, even compared to Oculus 3. I'm doing the update now and then plan on checking out photos and 3D movies to start.

The persona is set up, and boy do I wish I could photoshop this some. The AVP is not the problem, its the subject. It is not "natural" looking. More like I'm in the movie Polar Express.

Mine was delivered, and if I had to do over again, I would go to the Apple Store for a fitting.

Will report back after more use.

I'm not sure that I would want one of these if they were free.
Really? I can't imagine this lack of curiosity.

IK bumps into Carl Benz in 1866. "Mr. Ivan, I'm looking for test users to try my new invention, the motorwagon".

IK: "I wouldn't want one even it was free. I have horses, who needs a tin can to move people around. "
Why do you insist on quoting me out of context like this? Buzz off.
I'm not sure that I would want one of these if they were free. I'd rather just look at a screen like a normal person and not block out everybody else around me.

Eventually, somebody is going to make one of these products that allows for virtual tourism, where you're able to "walk" through a museum or city or something in VR. I will take a look at this technology when that becomes commercially viable. Until then, I'm fine with playing games and watching movies on my monitor/tv.

Edit: Oh, wow, they use machine learning to make you look realistic when you're talking to somebody online. That's amazing. Of course, I can do that now without any special ML technology, because I'm not wearing a ridiculous headset that covers my face.

The really disappointing thing for me was that if you're using it as a computer monitor (with actual keyboard/mouse) you can't use multiple screens in your AR environment. That seems like a super useful real world use case and one that I had just assumed would be included.

The external huge battery pack like a 1980s cell phone is a problem.
So far it is not an issue. I put the wire over my shoulder and put the battery pack in my pocket. I would be ideal if it was all-in-one like Quest 3, but then the weight would be overwhelming. The battery pack is the same size as my iphone 11 pro but only thicker (need to upgrade to take spacial photos out in the wild).

If I were to walk around my house/office, around objects, through doorways, then I could see the wire snagging on something. One time (at band camp) I took the AVP off, but forgot to remove the battery pack, and there was a tug. I can see where this would cause the AVP to fall to the ground and break if I walked off quickly with the pack in the pocket and AVP on the table.

After using AVP for a few hours, I do like it, but I can see me moving with the path of least resistance. Pick up my ipad for quick game or internet surfing. Plop on the couch to watch a tv show. I don't work, so I don't have any work usage examples to give an opinion.

What I would wear it for are the experiences that it provides. I watched some of Avatar and the 3d was stunning. Even a much better experience than 3d Imax in theater. What really shined were the Apple TV immersive mini shows. A couple of dinosaur shows and tight rope walker. If you have done Soarin at Epcot, it is very much the same type of visual experience, although not as much movement.

Spacial photos and panoramic photos are OUTSTANDING.

If playing games were your main interest, so far Quest 3 is the way to go. High end visual experiences such as photos, 3d movies, and other immersive experiences are much better in AVP.

After using AVP for a few hours, I do like it, but I can see me moving with the path of least resistance. Pick up my ipad for quick game or internet surfing. Plop on the couch to watch a tv show. I don't work, so I don't have any work usage examples to give an opinion.

What I would wear it for are the experiences that it provides. I watched some of Avatar and the 3d was stunning. Even a much better experience than 3d Imax in theater. What really shined were the Apple TV immersive mini shows. A couple of dinosaur shows and tight rope walker. If you have done Soarin at Epcot, it is very much the same type of visual experience, although not as much movement.

Spacial photos and panoramic photos are OUTSTANDING.

If playing games were your main interest, so far Quest 3 is the way to go. High end visual experiences such as photos, 3d movies, and other immersive experiences are much better in AVP.

How sore is your arm?

People keep showing the experience of watching sports with this thing, and I'm not sure I want to recreate Minority Report just to watch a game.

I suppose it might make it marginally easier for me to make homoerotic jokes about Olivier Giroud while watching the Euros this summer, but I think I'll just stick to watching the games with my laptop open.

I love Apple products, I have owned and collected Apple stock since the iPod, have bought only Apple phones, blah blah etc etc.

I don’t anticipate ever buying this thing or wanting to wear this to consume media.

If anyone can do it well it will be them
but I just don’t see myself wanting to buy this device.

I love Apple products, I have owned and collected Apple stock since the iPod, have bought only Apple phones, blah blah etc etc.

I don’t anticipate ever buying this thing or wanting to wear this to consume media.

I thought the review done by Marques Brownlee was pretty good. He is usually pretty fair and balanced in his reviews.

He suggested that the ultimate use of the product may end up simply being an extension of the the Mac environment - i.e. its best use is in combination with a Mac/phone/iPad.

I thought the review done by Marques Brownlee was pretty good. He is usually pretty fair and balanced in his reviews.

He suggested that the ultimate use of the product may end up simply being an extension of the the Mac environment - i.e. its best use is in combination with a Mac/phone/iPad.
I watched about half of this. Apple def is best positioned to do this type of thing best. Personally can’t get past wearing this thing around and the issue he mentioned about field of vision (looking through a tunnel) would bug me.

Biggest issue is I just don’t see the need.

Hope it is a hit and they continue to make them. Bit of a risk for Apple.

Biggest issue is I just don’t see the need.
I tend to agree.

But then most people said the same thing about the iPad when it first came out.

Key difference is price point - but, I expect these will come down in price, relative to value in 2-3 years.
I said the same thing about their watch now I wear it everyday and buy a new one every few models.

I hope it’s a huge hit. Or at least isn’t a total bomb.

The really disappointing thing for me was that if you're using it as a computer monitor (with actual keyboard/mouse) you can't use multiple screens in your AR environment. That seems like a super useful real world use case and one that I had just assumed would be included.
Marques Brownlee VId (Mac Virtual Display is the chapter)

I went looking because of your post, because that simply doesn't sound correct. But sure enough, one monitor only. :cautious: What's that all about? You can look over to your left, and see a different app....but not a separate tab?

Being able to have a 3-screen system pretty much anywhere u happen to be, that is a feature people want.

Ok, this is the first Vision Pro example I saw where I can see the utility. I like the idea of pinning certain screens around your house. I should add…IF the screen pins stay in the place for multiple sessions.

Ok thats kind of neat but walking around your house all day with these on seems "odd" and the price point is a non starter for me and probably many..... also isn't the battery life only like 3 hours

Ok, this is the first Vision Pro example I saw where I can see the utility. I like the idea of pinning certain screens around your house. I should add…IF the screen pins stay in the place for multiple sessions.

Ok thats kind of neat but walking around your house all day with these on seems "odd" and the price point is a non starter for me and probably many..... also isn't the battery life only like 3 hours
Obviously this product is a non-starter for most of us, but try thinking of it like those big shoebox-sized cell phones that Gekko used in Wall Street vs. today's smart phones. When this technology gets miniaturized to fit a normal-sized pair of eyeglasses or contact lenses or a neural link, things will change. I would expect that sort of AR to be just as disruptive (pros and cons) as cell phones have been.

Obviously this product is a non-starter for most of us, but try thinking of it like those big shoebox-sized cell phones that Gekko used in Wall Street vs. today's smart phones. When this technology gets miniaturized to fit a normal-sized pair of eyeglasses or contact lenses or a neural link, things will change. I would expect that sort of AR to be just as disruptive (pros and cons) as cell phones have been.

I remember in 1998 the family of a friend in college bought a 42” LCD 480p flat screen tv. Something that would be total garbage now. It was $15,000 and we were all of the opinion that none of us would ever be able to afford a flat screen tv.

$3500 for this seems insane to me, but if people have the disposable income and want to buy it, I’m a fan if it means something way better than this will be available 10-15 years from now for $400.

I remember in 1998 the family of a friend in college bought a 42” LCD 480p flat screen tv. Something that would be total garbage now. It was $15,000 and we were all of the opinion that none of us would ever be able to afford a flat screen tv.

$3500 for this seems insane to me, but if people have the disposable income and want to buy it, I’m a fan if it means something way better than this will be available 10-15 years from now for $400.

I could see in 10 years they become giveaways when you sign up for "NBA Courtside Season Pass" or "NASCAR: Inside the Car Pass". AT&T and Verizon will be giving them away with 2 year contracts like they do with iPhones now.

I'm pretty bullish on Apple pulling this off. Not $3500 for Gen One bullish, but close. Am adding shares of APPL when I can.

I could see in 10 years they become giveaways when you sign up for "NBA Courtside Season Pass" or "NASCAR: Inside the Car Pass". AT&T and Verizon will be giving them away with 2 year contracts like they do with iPhones now.

I'm pretty bullish on Apple pulling this off. Not $3500 for Gen One bullish, but close. Am adding shares of APPL when I can.
From an investment point of view, IF AVP becomes popular, this may kick off a new round of iphone upgrades every couple of years until the phone's cameras peak for spacial video/photos. I have an iphone 11 pro and I will be upgrading when the 16 comes out to take advantage of the AVP. I can take photos/video with AVP, but can't see me pulling this out at parties or events.

Users who are viewing this thread