What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arizona vs Oakland (1 Viewer)

What will happen?

• James has a big day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leinart has a big day

• James and Leinart both have a big day

• Both will do worse than expected

• Total voters

Kleck

Footballguy
I'm lost here.

New coordiantor in Zona (former QB coach Kruzcek). Will he attempt to let Edge run wild? If so will he be successful? Or will he unleash Leinart and the passing game?

Do the stats tell lies in this case?

I'm lost here.New coordiantor in Zona (former QB coach Kruzcek). Will he attempt to let Edge run wild? If so will he be successful? Or will he unleash Leinart and the passing game?Do the stats tell lies in this case?
I'm a Raiders fan and I'm telling you, START all of your Cards players. Boldin, James, and Leinart should all have a great day. I just wouldn't start that hack kicker who's only good at hitting goal posts in NFL Network commercials.

There's an interesting dynamic at work here. You have the suckiest bunch of sucky sucks that is the Arizona offensive line. Then you have an amazingly suckified collection of underachieving slugs that make up the rushing defense in Oakland. Something, as they say, has to give. My money is on Arizona stepping it up BIG TIME to have an average day on the ground.

Leinart should have his way in the air.

I voted Lienart has a big day, but the faiders are really hungry. This is one of 2 games they can win this season. They will show up for the game. Trying to win one for the coach. AZ should stomp them, but I don't think that will happen, it will be a game. LOL now i fell like I should change my other post on another thread saying that Lienart will be top 5 this week. He should be, but the faiders are so damned hungry. Now I'm not sure.

The Raiders defense is not bad, but Leinart will do well regardless. He's playing at a high level.

The Raiders defense is not bad, but Leinart will do well regardless. He's playing at a high level.
And the way that he's locking on to Boldin, makes Anquan a top 3 WR until Fitz is back and at least a top 8 even when Larry returns.

There's an interesting dynamic at work here. You have the suckiest bunch of sucky sucks that is the Arizona offensive line. Then you have an amazingly suckified collection of underachieving slugs that make up the rushing defense in Oakland. Something, as they say, has to give. My money is on Arizona stepping it up BIG TIME to have an average day on the ground.

The irresistible force vs. the immovable object?

Last edited by a moderator:
Raiders pass D is effected by the weak run D but they are very good.. Anybody who has watched the Raiders have seen that.. With that said I do not see a change in the near future as to how teams will attak the Raiders. Last game you saw how their D is getting better. Look for Leinart to struggle and with James losing a step I can not see a HUGE day for him.. The Raiders might pull this one off..

I don't think anything changes as a result of the change of OC. The Cards DID

put up 23 pts against one of the best Defenses in the league. Leinert and James

have a bigger day than normal because of the Raiders. Maybe they throw a little more

when they are up by 2 scores.

Statement game for the Crads... They will rack up the pts in this one.. Teams don't have to pass against the Raiders since they can't stop the run. However, the cards will let Lienhart loose on Sunday; they are looking for more than just a win... I think Edge will have his best day of the season so far; which will only be 80 too 100 yds on the ground and "maybe" a TD.

All Crads are a must play

I actually like both Defenses in this matchup, but that is just me. In the end I think the Cards will win, but probably much closer than people expect.

Link

Cards' new O coordinator Kruczek to re-energize team

Oct. 18, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

TEMPE, Ariz. -- New Arizona offensive coordinator Mike Kruczek vows to bring more emotion and a less conservative style to a Cardinals' team reeling on a five-game losing streak.

"I'm not afraid to climb somebody when there's a mistake," Kruczek said Wednesday after the first practice in his new job. "I don't just sit there and be passive and correct it without raising my voice. It's more of a college mentality than a pro mentality.

"But I think in our situation it's something that needs to happen -- bring energy to the position, re-energize this football team."

Coach Dennis Green fired Keith Rowen as offensive coordinator on Tuesday and replaced him with Kruczek, who also remains as quarterbacks coach. Rowen chose to remain on the staff as an offensive assistant.

Rookie Matt Leinart, impressive in his first two NFL starts, believes fans will see a difference.

"I think the difference is we're not going to be conservative like we have been," Leinart said. "We're not going to play to protect the lead, we're going to play to keep putting points on the board."

In each of the last two games, against Kansas City and Chicago, Leinart has thrown a pair of first-quarter touchdown passes to put the Cardinals up 14-0. But Arizona ended up losing to the Chiefs 23-20 and, in a historic collapse on Monday night, 24-23 to the Bears.

The Cardinals play at winless Oakland on Sunday.

"We've got to utilize our playmakers," Leinart said. "We've got to run with Edge (Edgerrin James) in different ways. We've got to still get him the ball, but in different sets, different formations. And we've got to let our guys on the outside do their thing. I think you're going to see more of an explosive offense."

The Cardinals' game plan to turn conservative against Chicago's touted defense would have worked had the Bears not returned two fumbles and a punt for fourth-quarter touchdowns. But Kruczek said that won't be his approach.

"I don't want to do it," he said. "Obviously we've got a strong defense and we want to be smart in what we call, but we do not get conservative. That is not going to happen."

Kruczek, Green's third offensive coordinator in 2½ seasons with the Cardinals, has worked closely with Leinart since the rookie was drafted.

"He's far exceeded what I thought he could do at this point in his career," Kruczek said, calling the rookie "just a tremendously intelligent guy. He understands concepts. You draw it on the board one time, you don't even have to explain it. He already understands it. He did it in college, and he was born with a football brain."

Rowen called plays from the press box. Kruczek will remain on the field, with Rowen staying upstairs to provide information, Green said.

Anquan Bolden will have a huge day. Edge will have a solid day, but not 150 and 2 or anything. Leinart will ahve a solid day, with about half his yards going to Bolden.

I really like Leinart this week...and Bryant Johnson should be a good sleeper/bye week plug-in since Boldin will attract most of the attention of the secondary. If he can put up 2 TDs in the first quarter against the likes of KC and CHI, this should be a cakewalk.

I have both Leinart and Leftwich to choose from this week. Leftwich plays Houston and I am going to go him him.

So why not Leinart?

OAK is allowing 16.4 first downs per game - ranked 9th in the NFL

OAK allows 133.8 yards passing per game - ranked 1st in the NFL

OAK allows approx 14 recs per game - ranked 1st in the NFL (compared to 24 recs/gm by PHI)

OAK allows 149 rush yards per game - ranked 29th in the NFL

Teams run so well on OAK, there's no need to pass. That my understanding of the stats. Why would ARI be any different from other teams?

Raiders pass D may be above-average, but is it better than the Bears? Considering Matt had a great day vs. the Bears when they completely shut down the run, I think he should be able to have a great day against Oakland since he'll actually have the threat of a running game.

I've put tons of thought into this game. Obviously, I started this poll.

I can't see the Cardinals being emotionally up for this game. I think Raiders realize they won't have a lot of chances to put a win. This is a golden opportunity for them.

The Raiders aren't as bad as we want to think.

The Cardinals aren't as good as we want to think.

I pick Oakland. Perhaps a case of overthinking the matchup, but I rarely go out on a limb and pick games like this. The NFL never ceases to amaze me.

Raiders pass D may be above-average, but is it better than the Bears? Considering Matt had a great day vs. the Bears when they completely shut down the run, I think he should be able to have a great day against Oakland since he'll actually have the threat of a running game.
:goodposting: Leinart is a lock for 300+ yards and 3-4 TD's in the air....and those are floor numbers, his ceiling is much, much higher.

I've put tons of thought into this game. Obviously, I started this poll.I can't see the Cardinals being emotionally up for this game. I think Raiders realize they won't have a lot of chances to put a win. This is a golden opportunity for them. The Raiders aren't as bad as we want to think.The Cardinals aren't as good as we want to think.I pick Oakland. Perhaps a case of overthinking the matchup, but I rarely go out on a limb and pick games like this. The NFL never ceases to amaze me.
I think "NFL" wise, you might be right. Not often that a game with such lower-tier teams can be so defining, but for the Cards, if they show up emotionally beaten after MNF and lose to Oakland, their (NFL) is lost.But fantasy-wise, I still see the Cards passing game producing, regardless of the outcome on the scoreboard.One thing lost in this discussion though is how is Walter going to move the ball on a Cards D that looked superb vs the Bears top-scoring O?

With Brees on bye I am starting Leinhart over Plummer so here's hoping :banned:

The Cards are going to be down coming off that MNF loss (are the Cards always down?) so this could prove to be an ugly game. My sleeper breakout player is Moss. Two reasons: he is due and I just traded him away :bag:

I've put tons of thought into this game. Obviously, I started this poll.I can't see the Cardinals being emotionally up for this game. I think Raiders realize they won't have a lot of chances to put a win. This is a golden opportunity for them. The Raiders aren't as bad as we want to think.The Cardinals aren't as good as we want to think.I pick Oakland. Perhaps a case of overthinking the matchup, but I rarely go out on a limb and pick games like this. The NFL never ceases to amaze me.
I like Oakland. Everyone has seriously got to get out of Leinart's pants. He looks good, but the guy didn't make Cardinal fans forget about Boomer yet!The easy short week copout is moot on this one too.

I'm lost here.New coordiantor in Zona (former QB coach Kruzcek). Will he attempt to let Edge run wild? If so will he be successful? Or will he unleash Leinart and the passing game?Do the stats tell lies in this case?
My opinion falls kind of in the middle of your choices. I think the pass D is more or less legit, but is helped but a lack of needing to pass by the opposition.Re. Sunday, I think Leinert will have a respectable day, maybe even a good one, but not amazing. Likewise EJ.

Normally I'd agree with the chance of ARI experiencing a MNF hangover, but if Denny cares at all about his job (and if the players care at all about him keeping that job), they need to take their frustrations out on OAK and put them down hard. Boldin, Leinart, Rackers, and others were noticeably upset after the CHI loss (and KC), while the Raiders just seem to be going through the motions.

ARI seems to want it more; to be honest, ARI NEEDS it more. Granted, we haven't seen Leinart on the road yet, but I think emotion wins out on this one.

My opinion falls kind of in the middle of your choices. I think the pass D is more or less legit, but is helped but a lack of needing to pass by the opposition.Re. Sunday, I think Leinert will have a respectable day, maybe even a good one, but not amazing. Likewise EJ.
As does mine, for different reasons probably. I think their pass D is higher statistically then they really are, but that they do perform well. It is not just becaue of the run defense though. I think it has more to do with the Raiders offense contributing to the pass D. Yes the offense, the one that turns the ball over the most in the NFL with 15 and a -9 TO ratio. Not only are they turning the ball over, they tend to go backwards due to fumbled snaps, false starts, etc before they turn the ball over, giving the opposition an even shorter field to work with. A shorter field, makes an easier field to pass defend. The Raiders do not have a good pass rush this year, in fact they have the worst with only 6 sacks for a loss of 41 yards. The rush defense is the worst in the NFL. However they are right in the middle of the pack for TD's (4) and first downs (33) and average per run (4.0). What I'm trying to say, is the defense has been pretty darn good. Consider this stat as well. The Raiders are the only offense to have under 300 offensive plays with 275, other then Houston who they are tied with. Most of the NFL teams are well into the 300+ play range. The Raiders have the worst time of possession of 26:18. (I bet at least 3 of those minutes every game are on punt formation/coverage and Lechler's fantastic hang time on punts). The offense is beyond being a joke. This all leads me to say, play every Arizona player you have with confidence, unless of course you have Manning/LT types you'd have to bench. The Raiders offense is more then likely to give Arizona chances to score, no matter how well the defense plays.

The movable object meets the resistable force :bag:

The Raiders D doesn't have to be bad. The offense is so abysmal, even a good defense would crack with such a lopsided battle of field position and time of possession. That being said, the Raiders defense isn't anything special.I expect Arizona to beat the snot out of Oakland. I concur with the comment earlier.....start Edge/Leinart/Boldin without a second thought. The Raiders are unfortunate top draw the Cards the week after their Monday night meltdown. On an ordinary week, this would be one of the few teams the Raiders would have a decent chance at beating. Now they're playing a team that is sure to be dead set on winning. Meanwhile, Oakland is saddled with the WORST coach in the entire league and a bunch of players that have surely already given up on him. Denny Green's nothing to write home about either but he'll win this matchup. Oakland has a very legitimate chance at going 0-16 if the organization holds steady with Art Shell as head coach. My :2cents:

I can't see the Cardinals being emotionally up for this game.
Funny you should say should say this, after viewing Green's press conference after the Monday loss I was left with the impression that Green is very upset and going to read this young team the riot act, it'll be good for them. Because of the nature of that loss it might wind-up being a blessing in disquise. Every year there are a couple of teams that after a slow start to the season come on strong in the second half. I wont be suprised if it is the Cards. I dont care what the stats say I think they'll win this game handily.

The Raiders D doesn't have to be bad. The offense is so abysmal, even a good defense would crack with such a lopsided battle of field position and time of possession. That being said, the Raiders defense isn't anything special.I expect Arizona to beat the snot out of Oakland. I concur with the comment earlier.....start Edge/Leinart/Boldin without a second thought. The Raiders are unfortunate top draw the Cards the week after their Monday night meltdown. On an ordinary week, this would be one of the few teams the Raiders would have a decent chance at beating. Now they're playing a team that is sure to be dead set on winning. Meanwhile, Oakland is saddled with the WORST coach in the entire league and a bunch of players that have surely already given up on him. Denny Green's nothing to write home about either but he'll win this matchup. Oakland has a very legitimate chance at going 0-16 if the organization holds steady with Art Shell as head coach. My :2cents:
:goodposting: OAK's defense is so bad that teams don't pass, they run all day. During the only two games they hung around (SF and CLE) A. Smith and C. Frye both had 3 TDs. The defense is not horrible, but the offense is so bad they are always on the field or start with horrible field position.

With that said, I don't think ARZ will run on OAK, but I don't think it will matter because after last week ARZ will not let up on the pass. Big week for Leinart.

One thing lost in this discussion though is how is Walter going to move the ball on a Cards D that looked superb vs the Bears top-scoring O?
This is a great point. However, I think we see the Arizona defense return to thier expected level of suckitude against the Raiders. They were jacked up to play against the Bears on MNF. More than anything else my pick is based on their expected let down after such an emotional loss.

whhwalker said:

The movable object meets the resistable force :bag:
Please see post #7. :) Great minds think alike. And so do weird ones.

With all the talk of a new, energized Offense for the Cards, don't be suprised to see them fall flat and fail to impress. We all know that whenever it seems like a sure thing in the NFL, the opposite is bound to happen.

We all know that Arizona "should" defeat the Raiders easily. so of course that means the Cards will probably lose 21-3.

So I did a little reseach for the short year to date with the Dominator and noted that NO #1 WR has scored a TD against Oakland this year. The stats are with the RBs, TEs, and #2 WRs.

Maybe the play for Arizona for the day is Bryant. :unsure:

I'm predicting an upset by Oakland in this game. They're hungry for a win. Zona is playing on a short week with a new OC and a letdown loss. This is Andrew Walter's last chance to show something before Brooks takes over for the rest of the season.

I could be totally off here, but I don't think the Raiders are going to get run over.

I'm predicting an upset by Oakland in this game. They're hungry for a win. Zona is playing on a short week with a new OC and a letdown loss. This is Andrew Walter's last chance to show something before Brooks takes over for the rest of the season.
Why should they go back to Brooks? Might as well stick with the kid and give him something to build on. It's not like they're going to push DEN and SD for the division lead.

I'm predicting an upset by Oakland in this game. They're hungry for a win. Zona is playing on a short week with a new OC and a letdown loss. This is Andrew Walter's last chance to show something before Brooks takes over for the rest of the season.I could be totally off here, but I don't think the Raiders are going to get run over.
I wouldn't be surprised at this. I also think LaMont Jordan could have a big game here.

I actually like both Defenses in this matchup, but that is just me. In the end I think the Cards will win, but probably much closer than people expect.
AgreeThe Cards will have a hangover from the Monday meltdown,short week,new coordinator. I think Oakland has their best chance today to get a W and I think if they do the D will step up.

It won't suprise if we see a real Shootout today. Walters last chance to SHOW something...Moss chewing off his ear last week, home town crowd, Oak's RB's hurting. All signs point to a long ball game. NOW if Moss feels like exserting himself and takes off NO plays in front of his home team this could be a very interesting game.

Edge has been going nowhere lately, Fitzs is riding the pine, Boulin is sure to be doubled teamed....look for B. Johnson to see more passes today!

To further your reading pleasure I submit the following...

The Autumn Wind

The Autumn wind is a pirate

Blustering in from sea

With a rollicking song he sweeps along

Swaggering boisterously

His face is weather beaten

He wears a hooded sash

With his silver hat about his head

And a bristly black moustache

He growls as he storms the country

A villain big and bold

And the trees all shake and quiver and quake

As he robs them of their gold

The Autumn wind is a Raider

Pillaging just for fun

He'll knock you 'round and upside down

And laugh when he's conquered and won.

I never thought I would find myself commending the well-placed posting of a poem on a fantasy football messageboard, but I am.

Well-played?

:ph34r:

I'm predicting an upset by Oakland in this game. They're hungry for a win. Zona is playing on a short week with a new OC and a letdown loss. This is Andrew Walter's last chance to show something before Brooks takes over for the rest of the season.I could be totally off here, but I don't think the Raiders are going to get run over.
Good prediction.

:goodposting: Leinart is a lock for 300+ yards and 3-4 TD's in the air....and those are floor numbers, his ceiling is much, much higher.
Oops

Denny Green should add "Do you want fries with that?" to his postgame interviews. He does not deserve to keep a job after this performance- especially when they do worse AFTER canning the OC. This team is officially now the worst (at least in the NFC- MIA is working hard to compete).

Kicking FG instead of trying to convert 4th downs... :thumbdown:

Non-existent no-huddle offense... :thumbdown:

Failing to produce points off NUMEROUS turnovers... :thumbdown:

Special teams... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Leinart consistently targetting a double-covered Boldin... :thumbdown: (ever heard of decoy?)

Kudos to Shick for sniffing out this AZ stinker days beforehand. Ick. Guess I should not have underestimated the MNF hangover.

AZ just looked bad in all phases of football.

Question: Does OAK performance and Walter's injury make Brooks a viable FF play?

Raiders pass D is effected by the weak run D but they are very good.. Anybody who has watched the Raiders have seen that.. With that said I do not see a change in the near future as to how teams will attak the Raiders. Last game you saw how their D is getting better. Look for Leinart to struggle and with James losing a step I can not see a HUGE day for him.. The Raiders might pull this one off..
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread