What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ASG thread (1 Viewer)

MVP has to be Miggy

Double, GW run and a bunch of nice plays at 3B.

This should help the A's or Rays win the WS this year. :thumbup:

And the biggest joke in sports continues with the American league getting home field advantage. Way to go bud selig you effin moron idiot.

Hey who has home field best of seven for world series? Oh that's right it was determined by players who will never see the post season. AWESOME

Hey who has home field best of seven for world series? Oh that's right it was determined by players who will never see the post season. AWESOME
It used to be determined by whether it was an even or odd year, smart guy.
Yeah, exactly. Either they go to team with the best record or they just leave it as is with the All-Star game deciding it. Alternating years never really raised a :bs: flag so I'm not sure why people get so outraged about this. Not the best idea but it is what it is.

Also Leyland getting big props for how he handled the Mo situation. Was his idea to have him come out alone, classy. Nice job Smokey!!!

I remember Selig trotting out some BS about why they don't give it to the WS team with the better record ... because they like to have time to prepare the host city for the WS. Like they would have more than a day or two if the ALCS ends up going seven games anyway.

If the NHL and NBA can somehow pulling off setting up shop in a city in less than a week, I don't see why baseball can't. But don't get me started on the brilliance of Uncle Bud.

OK, I'll bite... As opposed to how it used to work? Alternating between leagues each year? Why is this such a step down? . I think these guys want to win to represent their teams and themselves. You don't think Home Field is important to Leyland (or any other manager)? Nothing wrong with a little incentive and not the worst thing in the world for fan interest.

MLB ASG is the best in sports.

OK, I'll bite... As opposed to how it used to work? Alternating between leagues each year? Why is this such a step down? . I think these guys want to win to represent their teams and themselves. You don't think Home Field is important to Leyland (or any other manager)? Nothing wrong with a little incentive and not the worst thing in the world for fan interest.

It was the best ASG in sports well before the game mattered b/c baseball is the one sport where the game doesn't change much in an exhibition mainly b/c it isn't a physical game. Nobody wants to get hurt in a meaningless game and baseball has inherently less risk than a football, basketball or hockey game.

It has nothing to do with the game meaning something.

It was the best ASG in sports well before the game mattered b/c baseball is the one sport where the game doesn't change much in an exhibition mainly b/c it isn't a physical game. Nobody wants to get hurt in a meaningless game and baseball has inherently less risk than a football, basketball or hockey game.

Tell that to Robinson Cano. MLB players seem to legitimately care about the game. Rivera had the ball in his glove when he walked off the field. To him, it was a big moment of his career. He compared it to the World Series. I'm sure he was being generous but compare that to NFL stars who routinely no-show the Pro Bowl.

Sure, football and hockey are more physical - not so sure about basketball. And we agree that it is the best in sports.

Why is letting it determine home field (when many players/coaches still have an interest) so much worse than the alternating each year, as was done prior to the rule change?

Tell that to Robinson Cano. MLB players seem to legitimately care about the game. Rivera had the ball in his glove when he walked off the field. To him, it was a big moment of his career. He compared it to the World Series. I'm sure he was being generous but compare that to NFL stars who routinely no-show the Pro Bowl.

Sure, football and hockey are more physical - not so sure about basketball. And we agree that it is the best in sports.

Why is letting it determine home field (when many players/coaches still have an interest) so much worse than the alternating each year, as was done prior to the rule change?
Okay, so baseball is as dangerous as hockey, basketball or football? Didn't say that some injures can't happen but it has inherently less risk.

Perhaps add on that baseball is also the easiest game to play 100%. Apart from the pitchers throwing 1-2 innings, it hardly taxes the players but why would a hockey or basketball player bust their ### for a game which doesn't help them much?

And just b/c alternating isn't better doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives. As bad as alternating might be compared to the ASG deciding home field, it is much worse that home field doesn't decide it.

Okay, so baseball is as dangerous as hockey, basketball or football? Didn't say that some injures can't happen but it has inherently less risk.

Perhaps add on that baseball is also the easiest game to play 100%. Apart from the pitchers throwing 1-2 innings, it hardly taxes the players but why would a hockey or basketball player bust their ### for a game which doesn't help them much?

And just b/c alternating isn't better doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives. As bad as alternating might be compared to the ASG deciding home field, it is much worse that home field doesn't decide it.
You misread what I said about physicality.

Not sure what you meant here...

There are only 3 main options...

Alternate... Just random.... although i don't remember any complaints.

ASG. Puts some meaning into the game. Saves us from the indifference of everyone going home after a 12 inning tie. Certainly a twist and maybe the best option for the fans.

Best record? Workable, but it has its flaws. Do you want a team who has clinched going all out to win game #162 to secure "home field"?

My problem with best record is that sure it makes sense in theory...but there's a big difference between the NL West and the AL East.

In a college football title game, you wouldn't give the Big East champ homefield over the SEC champ because of a better record. Why do it here.

I like the ASG idea. It's not great but it's fine.

saw this proposed on twitter, forget the source...

WS HFA to the league that wins 2 of the following 3: ASG, best record in interleague, and best record among WS teams themselves.

My problem with best record is that sure it makes sense in theory...but there's a big difference between the NL West and the AL East.

In a college football title game, you wouldn't give the Big East champ homefield over the SEC champ because of a better record. Why do it here.

I like the ASG idea. It's not great but it's fine.
So why doesn't that exist in the NL/AL? There is a big difference between the AL West and the AL East. Both Oakland and Texas are under .500 vs the AL East. The Red Sox are 8 over .500 but Oakland and Texas get to play Houston among others and are 8 and 12 games over .500 intradivision.

If you really think it is unfair to compare between divisions, then get rid of it all together.

Since 2003 (arbitrary cutoff b/c that is when the ASG matters), the difference in record by the 2 teams in the WS has been lower than 5 games once (Giants/Rangers).

Pretty silly to penalize 105 win Cardinals team against a 98 win Boston team b/c the Astros blow. Likewise, silly to penalize the 103 win Yankees against the 93 win Phillies b/c of a game in July.

I went to the game. Good time. Met fans gave nice pops to their boys wright and Harvey. Wish wright would have hit one, the place would have become unglued. It felt like more "fans" we're at this one as compares to the other recent NYC one at Yankee stadium which I was also lucky enough to hit. But Yankee stadium had a better responsive crowd. I know there wasn't much to cheer about and the place was loud when Harvey struck out Joey bats. But the other loud moment was actually sweet Caroline sadly. Until...

Mo...

It was basically what I came to see, props to leyland and the mets for the song and it really was just a great unique moment. Happy he had a reason to get the MVP with there being no huge standouts and he took care of his own business.

I don't know, I'll never tire of the pomp and circumstance around all star games. It was a fun night!

Users who are viewing this thread