What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ask a zookeeper (4 Viewers)

As a follow up:

lets say an army of tigers, chimps, gorillas, wolverines, locust, screw worms, and honey badgers rode in on the back of blue whales and tried to assault an island defended by great white sharks, crocodiles, leopards, anacondas, boars, porcupines and lambs.

What would the probable outcome be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever put a coatimundi in a cage labeled 'red panda' just to see if anyone would notice?

As a follow up:lets say an army of tigers, chimps, gorillas, wolverines, locust, screw worms, and honey badgers rode in on the back of a blue whale and tried to assault an island defended by great white sharks, crocodiles, leopards, anacondas, boars, porcupines and lambs.What would the probable outcome be?
I don't often do this sort of thing, but this has to be one of the most insightful and thought provoking questions I have ever seen.

What's the weirdest thing you've seen a zoo patron do? How about the dumbest question anyone has asked you...outside of this thread?

How did you start and then progress your career?
I started off as an intern right after college at the San Francisco zoo making $7. I did that for a year and then became and on-call as needed keeper at that zoo, while also working full-time at the Coyote Point Museum in San Mateo, CA and as a Lead trainer\teacher at a company called Tree Frog Treks. I did all of those things for about five years when Disney called and recruited me to come train animals for one of their shows at the Animal Kingdom in Orlando, FL. I did that for a few years, but I got sick of Orlando and wanted to come back to the west coast. I've been at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle for two years now. I love it here.For those looking to get into the field, the best advice I can give you is to volunteer at a zo and see if you like it. Many zoos hire keepers directly from their volunteer staff. It may take awhile, but if you prove your worth, you will be recognized.

Another option is to attend one of the two accredited zookeeping schools. Moor Park in California or Santa Fe in Gainsville Florida. I believe they are two year programs.

Being mobile is also a very good quality to have. Most cities only have one major zoo and if they don't have any openings you could be waiting for quite some time. a good resource is the AZA jobs website.

How did you start and then progress your career?
I started off as an intern right after college at the San Francisco zoo making $7. I did that for a year and then became and on-call as needed keeper at that zoo, while also working full-time at the Coyote Point Museum in San Mateo, CA and as a Lead trainer\teacher at a company called Tree Frog Treks. I did all of those things for about five years when Disney called and recruited me to come train animals for one of their shows at the Animal Kingdom in Orlando, FL. I did that for a few years, but I got sick of Orlando and wanted to come back to the west coast. I've been at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle for two years now. I love it here.For those looking to get into the field, the best advice I can give you is to volunteer at a zo and see if you like it. Many zoos hire keepers directly from their volunteer staff. It may take awhile, but if you prove your worth, you will be recognized.Another option is to attend one of the two accredited zookeeping schools. Moor Park in California or Santa Fe in Gainsville Florida. I believe they are two year programs.
I would have thought there would be more formal training, interesting.Without getting too personal, lets say someone's kid is interested in animals, is this the sort of job they can make a good living at, or is it more of a deal with financial stress to do what you love type job?

Awesome thread. What's your best piece of animal trivia?
Most people don't know that dolphins are crazy kinky. Homosexuality is common. They have been known to have blowhole sex as well. Think about those things the next time you want to do one of those touristy "swim with the dolphins" things they have in the tropics.Dolphins are filthy animals.

Awesome thread. What's your best piece of animal trivia?
Most people don't know that dolphins are crazy kinky. Homosexuality is common. They have been known to have blowhole sex as well. Think about those things the next time you want to do one of those touristy "swim with the dolphins" things they have in the tropics.Dolphins are filthy animals.
is there an appropriate slang word for blowhole sex?i mean, the kinda obvious one has already been used by us silly humans, even though blowing is not much of a factor in it

What is the most underrated animal (based on observed behavior that the public probably wouldn't see)?Most overrated? I always thought Gorillas were overrated. The ones at the Dallas zoo just sit there all day.
underrated: nocturnal animals. Not many zoos have nocturnal houses, but things like aye-ayes, tamanduas, galagos, bats, armadillos, etc are fascinating to watch in a well done night exhibit.Overrated: Lions and Tigers. Male Lions sleep upwards of 20 hours a day. If you get there super early, you can occasionally see some roaring and stalking behaviors, but they are few and far between. Gorillas are actually very interesting if it's a mixed group. If they are all geriatric then you probably won't see much. If they have a good mix of young and old in the troop then their complex social and political dynamics can be pretty interesting to watch.
Is that normal lion behavior or is it at least in part because they are bored?
It's pretty normal for big cats. They are lazy animals. If someone dropped a carcass off every day, for a wild pride of lions, they would never hunt on their own. Lions are just giant house cats.

Ever watch the monkeys do it?
And did you ever take along a female zookeeper to watch them?
I have observed the behavior with a female keeper. I'd say 75% or so of zookeepers are females. Unfortunately, most are really old or unattractive.
Most?So pics of the few that are young and hot?
:shrug: I've always wanted to date a zoo keeper.
I kind of want to date a dolphin now.... :bow:

What's the best way to protect yourself from poisonous snakes?signed,a hiker.
Plants are poisonous, animals are venomous.Just don't screw with them and they won't bother you. Never try to handle a snake in the wild unless you are absolutely certain it isn't venomous. Even then, a bite from something as harmless as a corn snake doesn't feel very good.I always carry trekking poles or a walking stick with me on hikes just in case.

Be honest, you could totally see planet of the apes happening, couldn't you?Do you ever feel like the primates are "planning something"? If they did, would you join their cause?
They are definitely always planning something. When you look into the eyes of a great ape, you can "feel" that they are thinking and problem solving. I don't know how to exactly describe it but it almost feels like they are looking deep inside you.This is a much different feeling then when you look into the eyes of a prey animal like a zebra or giraffe, or even a predator like a big cat.I don't thin they would want to take over the world though. I think they would just want to be left alone.

I was once told that when an animal dies at the zoo, they feed the carcass to the lions, hyenas, etc. Any truth to that?

It seems a lot more efficient then trying to bury an elephant.

I was once told that when an animal dies at the zoo, they feed the carcass to the lions, hyenas, etc. Any truth to that?It seems a lot more efficient then trying to bury an elephant.
I'm always worried about the food they serve at the zoo restaurant.

ALWAYS have wondered and my sons' have asked before. What do you guys do with all the animal poop and where does it go? Burn it? Giant toilet? Compost it? Other? Does the poop just lay in the exhibit? Is there a storage shed of poop?

Poop poop poop.

What kind of an educational background do you need to be a zookeeper?
Most zoos are beginning to require a college degree, preferably in some sort of life science. Some of the smaller, lower profile zoos still only require a high school degree and volunteering experience. I have a B.S. in Environmental Science.

I was once told that when an animal dies at the zoo, they feed the carcass to the lions, hyenas, etc. Any truth to that?It seems a lot more efficient then trying to bury an elephant.
good one!if not, why not? Health reasons, or just because it would be disturbing to the public?

not that I am aware of, but when I was at the San Francisco zoo, someone was caught trying to molest a cow on free day. I have many, many free day stories.
They have cows at the zoo?
most zoos have some sort of "petting zoo" where they have cows, sheep, goats, and other barnyard animals. My internship was in the children's zoo which had a barnyard\livestock area.

How are most zoo animals acquired? Bred in the zoo? Born in other zoos and purchased? Captured in the wild and purchased? Are they usually purchased as babies so they can be somewhat trained or do you also purchase adults?

(1) Why doesn't Herbert-the-Hippo like monkees?

(2) Can you really train an orangutan to punch when you say the phrase "Right turn, Clyde"?

(3) Ever had to care for a Komodo Dragon?

(4) Ever had relatively good communications/bond with a specific animal? If so, what kind?
1. I don't know. They are dirty, dirty animals. They are not my favorite either, but the great apes are very charismatic. My least favorite to work with are Macaques. They carry a form of the Herpes B virus that is fatal to humans. When working our Lion-tailed Macaques you have to wear a full tyvek suit duct taped at wrists and ankles, mask, gloves, goggles etc. Not a lot of fun.2. Certainly

3. No, but I have worked other large monitor lizards.

4. Lots. The strongest was probably with a Harris' Hawk that I trained at Disney. Birds of Prey typically form strong bonds with only one person.

Do you ever just think everyone would be better off if the animals were left in the wild instead where they belong?

have you ever asked a zoo patron to apologize for hurting an animal's feelings?
No. I try really hard to not anthropomorphisize. I have yelled at many guests for throwing things at animals or feeding animals people food.

As a follow up:lets say an army of tigers, chimps, gorillas, wolverines, locust, screw worms, and honey badgers rode in on the back of blue whales and tried to assault an island defended by great white sharks, crocodiles, leopards, anacondas, boars, porcupines and lambs.What would the probable outcome be?
I'm going to side with the first army mainly because of the chimps. They would eventually form a sound strategic attack plan given ample amounts of the other animals. The sharks, crocodiles, leopards, and anacondas would only be useful while hungry.

As a follow up:lets say an army of tigers, chimps, gorillas, wolverines, locust, screw worms, and honey badgers rode in on the back of blue whales and tried to assault an island defended by great white sharks, crocodiles, leopards, anacondas, boars, porcupines and lambs.What would the probable outcome be?
I'm going to side with the first army mainly because of the chimps. They would eventually form a sound strategic attack plan given ample amounts of the other animals. The sharks, crocodiles, leopards, and anacondas would only be useful while hungry.
awesome

Any of the animals ever kill each other? Maybe one animal gets out of its enclosure/room/cell and takes out another or wanders the wrong way and ends up the victim?

if you got like 12 of your zooo friends together and created a forum to just answer these questions, i'd waste a lot of time there

What's the weirdest thing you've seen a zoo patron do? How about the dumbest question anyone has asked you...outside of this thread?
Weirdest: Adults sitting their toddlers on railings overlooking a dangerous animal exhibit. People throwing those snap-pop things at the meerkats. That one really pissed me off.dumbest question: "Are those giraffe\zebra\gazelle eggs?" - visitor pointing at an ostrich nest full of dummy eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread