What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auction Draft Supplies - Want to Improve the day (1 Viewer)

Novie

Footballguy
Hi all,

Been running an auction draft for a while - it's a fantastic day. But as commissioner / auctioneer - when I go around the room and people either bid or drop out, we've relied on cardboard disks that are green on one side, red on the other for me to quickly identify as I go around the room who's in and who's out. Does anyone have any better, more pro-looking, electronic or otherwise suggestions to make it super-easy for people to indicate where they are at during a bid?  Always looking to up our game if there's something better/cooler we can do. 

I get the fairness that auctions provide as anyone can win any player but the values or winning prices relative to value always shock me.

For instance, here are some values from an auction tonight...

Mahomes $46

D.Watson $26

Big Ben $3

Winston $3

Kamara $80

Barkley $75

Guice $2

Breida $2

Hopkins &64

Adams $60

M.Thomas $59

D.Westbrook $1

M.Gallup $1

S.Watkins $1

C.Davis $1

Fitz $1

C.Samuel $1

Kelce $51

OJ Howard $25

H.Henry $6

M.Andrews $1

Last edited by a moderator:
$88 would have bought me...

QB - Wentz, Winston, J.Allen

RB - Duke, Eckler, Cohen, Guice, Breida, D.Thompson, D.Henderson, K.Hunt, Pollard, D.Harris

WR - Ridley, C.Davis, C.Kirk, Westbrook, Watkins, Fitz, M.Jones, Gallup, M.Hardmen, C.Samuel

TE - H.Henry, V.MacDonald, J.Cook

K - Zuerlein, Butker

DT - Rams, Chargers

Yes, i realize most auction leagues are shorter benches/rosters but $88 just rostered a pretty decent 30 man team with $112  to spare.

The Dollar per point value is way out of whack with the top tier players.

RB - Duke, Eckler, Cohen, Guice, Breida, D.Thompson, D.Henderson, K.Hunt, Pollard, D.Harris

WR - Ridley, C.Davis, C.Kirk, Westbrook, Watkins, Fitz, M.Jones, Gallup, M.Hardmen, C.Samuel

K - Zuerlein, Butker

DT - Rams, Chargers

Yes, i realize most auction leagues are shorter benches/rosters but $88 just rostered a pretty decent 30 man team with $112  to spare.

I'm not sure what your point is. Sure, $88 bought you that team. But that team isn't winning a championship either. 

Hi all,

Been running an auction draft for a while - it's a fantastic day. But as commissioner / auctioneer - when I go around the room and people either bid or drop out, we've relied on cardboard disks that are green on one side, red on the other for me to quickly identify as I go around the room who's in and who's out. Does anyone have any better, more pro-looking, electronic or otherwise suggestions to make it super-easy for people to indicate where they are at during a bid?  Always looking to up our game if there's something better/cooler we can do. 
You have people who openly admit to being out of a bid? That's poor drafting by those owners. Auction draft is like poker. Need to always act interested to succeed. 

Penguin said:

K - Zuerlein, Butker

DT - Rams, Chargers

I think this is exactly why the top guys are so expensive.  We all see this and the correct response it to spend that extra $112 on two top guys to make that team you put together a league winner.

Payne said:
You have people who openly admit to being out of a bid? That's poor drafting by those owners. Auction draft is like poker. Need to always act interested to succeed. 
I was thinking the same thing.  It's all part of the fun and strategy in an auction.

Novie said:
Hi all,

This was our 30th year doing an auction draft. Never had disks/paddles, but one team (Stink Finger) does have a stick with a finger on the end of it. All teams are encouraged to call out a dollar amount followed by their team name.

may want to look in to draft software that you can use a phone to bid with.... i too am confused as to why anyone would admit to being out on a player.... you're only out on a player after "sold" has been said... there's been times i jump back in on players i originally didnt want because the price was right. are you as comissioner and league participant also serving as the auctioneer? if so that is just wrong, you need to find a 3rd party willing to be bought with offers of free food and drink to be the auctioneer.... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread