What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad calls by the REAL Refs today? (1 Viewer)

'fatness said:
I really don't understand who these people are that defended the replacement refs... They must be trolls. I don't know a single person who thought the replacements were competent at refereeing NFL games.
They're guys who defended the NFL and wanted the real refs to knuckle under in the labor dispute. So they'll pretend the replacements were as good, or better.
For example:
'Patroclus said:
Ref-ing quality for the Panthers game was down from the replacement ref level. Pretty much the reverse of every other game I watched. Really wish we could get better refs period.
Hard to get better refs when you can't fire one without a union incident
No one said they were just as good. But when you can put a high school ref in their place with no NFL training and get something like a workable game you have to wonder.

No one said they were just as good. But when you can put a high school ref in their place with no NFL training and get something like a workable game you have to wonder.
If there were "workable" games under the replacement refs it was by chance. Still :lmao: at the "you can't fire one without a union incident" comment. If the real refs cured cancer the union-busters would hate them for not doing it sooner.

I missed the last couple calls of the game, but anyone have video of this supposed horrendous call in teh Saints game against the Chargers?

Harper said in post-game that Gates was pushing off harper's lower back all game and they finally called it on the last drive.

The games are moving along quickly, that to me is the best part, a few calls here and there...Miami got hosed on a punt return where the defender did not have control of the ball before he slid out of bounds. Miami held them to a FG, it didn't impact the game that much but it could have. Calls in the 1st and 2nd Q IMO are not as bad as those when the game is really hanging in the balance. Pats/Broncos did not kick off until 4:25 and it was set to be one of those 3:30 type games but actually it finished on time, nothing was delayed behind it, overall I think the refs are doing a great job, night and day to the old ones.

'Proximo said:
I missed the last couple calls of the game, but anyone have video of this supposed horrendous call in teh Saints game against the Chargers?

Harper said in post-game that Gates was pushing off harper's lower back all game and they finally called it on the last drive.
This is one of my pet peeves with many games. Refs will let hand fighting or other tic tac stuff go on all game long and then decide to call it late in the 4th qtr. Personally I don't care whether they call it all game long or let it go all game long, but don't set up receivers and DBs by changing late in the game.

'Ministry of Pain said:
The games are moving along quickly, that to me is the best part, a few calls here and there...Miami got hosed on a punt return where the defender did not have control of the ball before he slid out of bounds. Miami held them to a FG, it didn't impact the game that much but it could have. Calls in the 1st and 2nd Q IMO are not as bad as those when the game is really hanging in the balance. Pats/Broncos did not kick off until 4:25 and it was set to be one of those 3:30 type games but actually it finished on time, nothing was delayed behind it, overall I think the refs are doing a great job, night and day to the old ones.
Yup...nevermind if the calls are bad as long as the games finishes on time. I'm beginning to think that we think the real refs are the greatest thing ever because they consistantly screwup calls. The ref-ing in the Car/Sea game and the Sunday night games was attrocious. Lots of room for improvement but that ship has likely sailed as we're stuck with part itme refs.

white hat in KC-BAL game comes in and kills a play where Flacco is being hit and sacked......

problem is, the ball is loose 15 yards behind the white hat where it is being picked up and scored for a TD by the Chiefs late in the 4th quarter....

not reviewable

complete game changer....

Atl/Oak - Oakland DB picks off Ryan and his momentum carries him into the endzone. May have been touched but we don't get a replay. DB walks out high fiving teammates but the ref hasn't call the play dead. After a few seconds ref calls it dead. :confused:

Dal/Bal - Refs screw up marking off 10 yards. Delay game and finally get the ball in the right place. I thought these pros nailed this stuff. Next play Jones gets ruled out at the one on a clear TD. Dallas has to burn a challenge and the call is reveresed.

Can we get some decent refs??? Real or replacement???

Atl/Oak game - "Prior to the snap, holding defense"

Dal/Bal game - delayed in getting the ball placed...big argument ensued.

It's like the replacements are back today.

Atl/Oak - Oakland DB picks off Ryan and his momentum carries him into the endzone. May have been touched but we don't get a replay. DB walks out high fiving teammates but the ref hasn't call the play dead. After a few seconds ref calls it dead. :confused:
I remember this play and I think the ref handled it right really. He didn't see Julio touched the guy down and let the play go but once it was obvious both teams had stopped playing, he calls it dead. Haven't seen a wide shot but guessing even players off the benches were switching personal so anything from there on wouldn't count anyway and only real event that could happen then on was an injury for no reason. But they did show a replay and Julio touched him down at the 2 which is where Oakland ended up starting.

Dallas-Baltimore game.

Late with Dallas driving, refs call Felix Jones for chop block - BAD CALL even Coach Billick called it bad.

Forward progress on Dez catch at the end of the game not given to him. They tried a FG from 51 yds instead of 47 or 48.

Kicker missed by a foot. Would it have made it from closer = YES

Cards got a generous spot on 3rd down, chains still showed it short by at least an inch, ref ruled it a first down anyway :shock: and then upheld it on the challenge. :lmao: One of the worst calls in the history of the NFL.

What about that, somehow Peter King neglected to rant about how bad the regular refs are and how they're clearly tarnishing the integrity of the league with refs unable to correctly call a non-first down when the chains show it's short and it's even reviewed.

Today has been on par with replacement level refs.

1. Bogus horse collar tackle on Carolina cost them a legitimate chance to comeback. Had to burn two timeout outs and stop Dallas again.

2. Along the lines of Seattle/GB ending, NO defender shoves Tampa Mike out of the endzone who then comes back onto the field and catches a TD that is nullified because he was OB.

3. And just to show that the real refs can be clueless...Pitt was denied a timeout towards the end of the first half. I think they thought they had already called one, but it was the play before. I guess there's a chance the refs were right and the annoucers were wrong.

1. Bogus horse collar tackle on Carolina cost them a legitimate chance to comeback. Had to burn two timeout outs and stop Dallas again.

2. Along the lines of Seattle/GB ending, NO defender shoves Tampa Mike out of the endzone who then comes back onto the field and catches a TD that is nullified because he was OB.

3. And just to show that the real refs can be clueless...Pitt was denied a timeout towards the end of the first half. I think they thought they had already called one, but it was the play before. I guess there's a chance the refs were right and the annoucers were wrong.
You lose credibility because this was deemed the correct call. Please enlighten me how it was wrong. You aren't allowed to go out of bounds and be the first to touch it. You can re-establish yourself and catch it if a penalty forced you to go out of bounds. However, there is no penalty for illegal contact once Freeman gets out of the pocket.

Not even close to as bad the Seahawks/Packers.

You lose credibility because this was deemed the correct call. Please enlighten me how it was wrong. You aren't allowed to go out of bounds and be the first to touch it. You can re-establish yourself and catch it if a penalty forced you to go out of bounds. However, there is no penalty for illegal contact once Freeman gets out of the pocket.
This is why I thought it was a bad call. If you watch the game, he got knocked OB (which is legit per the ref), but then he ran 3-4 steps in bounds and then caught the ball. How is he not re-established? In my mind, he was re-established and the catch legit. :shrug:

You may be correct and I may be wrong. Would need to see the rule. I didn't realize that being out of the pocket allowed the defenders to mug the offensive players. Does this apply for the entire play after they leave the pocket or does it go away once the ball is in the air?

This is why I thought it was a bad call. If you watch the game, he got knocked OB (which is legit per the ref), but then he ran 3-4 steps in bounds and then caught the ball. How is he not re-established? In my mind, he was re-established and the catch legit. :shrug:
But it wasn't ruled a penalty. The rule pretty much states that unless it is a penalty, you can't go out of bounds. This is the definition which applies to an ineligible receiver.

An eligible receiver who has been out of bounds prior to or during a pass, even if he has re-established himself

inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands.

Exception: If an eligible receiver is forced out of bounds by a foul by a defender, including illegal contact, defensive holding,

or defensive pass interference, he will become eligible to legally touch the pass (without prior touching by another eligible

receiver or defender) as soon as he re-establishes himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than

his hands. See Article 8, Note 3.
Since they didn't deem that illegal contact since Freeman was out of the pocket, he can't go out of bounds. You can gripe about the rule but the refs got this one correct.

But it wasn't ruled a penalty. The rule pretty much states that unless it is a penalty, you can't go out of bounds. This is the definition which applies to an ineligible receiver.

An eligible receiver who has been out of bounds prior to or during a pass, even if he has re-established himself

Exception: If an eligible receiver is forced out of bounds by a foul by a defender, including illegal contact, defensive holding,

or defensive pass interference, he will become eligible to legally touch the pass (without prior touching by another eligible

receiver or defender) as soon as he re-establishes himself inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than

Since they didn't deem that illegal contact since Freeman was out of the pocket, he can't go out of bounds. You can gripe about the rule but the refs got this one correct.
Yeah...sure sounds like they got it technically correct, but that whole thing about a defender being allowed to shove a WR once the QB leaves the pocket is a bogus rule that needs changing. For one thing: they call defensive holding/illegal contact/PI all the time with the QB out of the pocket, so there's no consistancy anyway. For another, it's ridiculous for the official watching the WR/DB 30 yards downfield to also be aware of the QB's position relative to the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

You may be correct and I may be wrong. Would need to see the rule. I didn't realize that being out of the pocket allowed the defenders to mug the offensive players. Does this apply for the entire play after they leave the pocket or does it go away once the ball is in the air?
It only applies once the QB is out of the pocket. If it occurs while it is in the air, it'd be PI. However, I don't think its possible to have PI and illegal touching b/c the ball would have to be in the air long enough to be pushed out and re-establish yourself in play. As far as mug, I wouldn't characterize a push as a mug, but here is the rule.

Article 5: Legal Use of Hands or Arms by Defense. A defensive player may use his hands, arms, or body to push, pull,

or ward off offensive players:

(a) When he is defending himself against an obstructing opponent while attempting to reach the runner; or

(b) when an opponent is obviously attempting to block him; or

© in a personal attempt to reach a loose ball that has touched the ground during a backward pass, fumble, or kick; or

(d) during a forward pass that has crossed the neutral zone and has been touched by any player.

Exception 1: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent only to a point five yards beyond the line of

scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball (including handing

off the ball, pitching the ball, or moving out of the pocket). See Rule 8, Section 4, Articles 1-4 for rules applicable to Illegal

Contact with an eligible receiver.
I think we can all agree that the CB pushed Williams however under the rule, once the QB leaves the pocket, he is allowed to do so at least within reason. I'm sure at some point it borders on unnecessary roughness but he didn't "mug" Mike Williams so looked to be a legal play. Perhaps they change the rule to say if you are forced out within the rules, you can re-establish yourself.

Yeah...sure sounds like they got it technically correct, but that whole thing about a defender being allowed to shove a WR once the QB leaves the pocket is a bogus rule that needs changing
Well it is the same stuff you can do within 5 yards, you are allowed to do when the QB is out of the pocket.

Well it is the same stuff you can do within 5 yards, you are allowed to do when the QB is out of the pocket.
Check my addition to my last post ;) The problem is that it's impossible to officiate this rule consistantly...which makes it a bad rule.

Check my addition to my last post ;) The problem is that it's impossible to officiate this rule consistantly...which makes it a bad rule.
Well the NFL is riddled with bad rules now. I agree its very tough to enforce but this is more of a case to not shoot the messenger, shoot the commissioner.

No one mention the Harper interception that was blown dead stopping a possible pick six, and the the review which clearly showed it was an interception only to still not be overturned. Pretty terrible

Skins lost a TD on an iffy illegal shift call. They also got hit with a leg whipping call. Both plays were questioned by the commentators big time and had some impact on the game.

Skins lost a TD on an iffy illegal shift call. They also got hit with a leg whipping call. Both plays were questioned by the commentators big time and had some impact on the game.
Actually, the announcers said that the refs often let an illegal shift go, bit that it definitely was an illegal shift. And they were right. There were two guys moving at one time.

The Panther game had a couple horrendous calls late in the 4rth, a garbage horsecollar, a no call interfence on Murphy and a phantom TO that took away a first down.

The play in the Saints Bucs game was also just bizarre

Actually, the announcers said that the refs often let an illegal shift go, bit that it definitely was an illegal shift. And they were right. There were two guys moving at one time.
Thanks for the correction I was watching in a bar so probably heard wrong.

They didn't it until after the commercial. The leg whip was a complete phantom. Also, the offsides on the opening kickoff was silly, guy barely had his head over the line, you usually never see that called unless the guy is a good half stride ahead of the ball.

They didn't it until after the commercial. The leg whip was a complete phantom. Also, the offsides on the opening kickoff was silly, guy barely had his head over the line, you usually never see that called unless the guy is a good half stride ahead of the ball.
The regular refs have missed and made bad calls the same as always. The players and coaches complained so much about the replacements they just have to accept it now.

I think we can all agree that the CB pushed Williams however under the rule, once the QB leaves the pocket, he is allowed to do so at least within reason. I'm sure at some point it borders on unnecessary roughness but he didn't "mug" Mike Williams so looked to be a legal play. Perhaps they change the rule to say if you are forced out within the rules, you can re-establish yourself.
The Saints defense employed this strategy once last season, at the end of the game versus the Titans (see 3:10-3:33). Really, it's only a helpful strategy when the offense is close to the end zone and is pressing for a score -- anywhere else on the field, the receivers have plenty of room to run away from the defenders. For example, receivers can't come back for the ball to bail out the QB because they'd take themselves out of the end zone. That can make the receivers sitting ducks once the QB leaves the pocket.

Tomlin confirmed that they were denied the timeout because the refs thought the Steelers had already called a timeout when it was in fact the Bengals that called the previous timeout. The Steelers should have been granted the timeout but it turned out not to matter because they scored the 2pt conversion anyway.Still seems like a pretty simple thing to keep straight...

Tomlin confirmed that they were denied the timeout because the refs thought the Steelers had already called a timeout when it was in fact the Bengals that called the previous timeout. The Steelers should have been granted the timeout but it turned out not to matter because they scored the 2pt conversion anyway.Still seems like a pretty simple thing to keep straight...
Weird. Maybe it was payback for giving the Steelers that Super Bowl win against the Seahawks a few years ago. :shrug: :excited:

going out on a small limb and saying the NFL will change the rule next year surrounding the Tampa Mike play.....

One play that I thought wasn't called correctly was that sack fumble on Sanchez. I thought you weren't supposed to go at a QBs legs once you were on the ground? Prior to Sanchez getting sacked, it is ABUNDANTLY clear that a DL is lunging and clinging to Sanchez' leg. :confused:

One play that I thought wasn't called correctly was that sack fumble on Sanchez. I thought you weren't supposed to go at a QBs legs once you were on the ground? Prior to Sanchez getting sacked, it is ABUNDANTLY clear that a DL is lunging and clinging to Sanchez' leg. :confused:
In the rulebook, under player conduct, roughing the passer, article 8, Note 2
It is not a foul if the defender swipes, wraps, or grabs a passer in the knee area or below in an attempt to tackle him.

Users who are viewing this thread