What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baseball HQ (1 Viewer)

rodg12

Footballguy
Been going back on forth on trying them out this year. Do any of you guys subscribe to them? Are they worth it?

Don't subscribe but I do get the Shandler Baseball Forecaster through them. Expensive for a fantasy magazine but one of the best if not best out there IMO.

I will use the Forecaster and the use Fangraphs+ which is pretty cheap for my draft prep.

I have used Baseball HQ for several years and use their Forecaster. A little pricey, but I think the price is worth it. Great daily articles and message boards.

Talk to me about Fangraphs+. Looks like a sweet deal. What all does it provide?
I just paid for it. We'll find out. Figured at the cost of a magazine on the newsstand, there's not much to lose.
You'll get a some articles that are otherwise pay blocked. Some are interesting, some are irrelevant for fantasy purposes.

The main fantasy sports advantage with it is that is provides about a paragraph of analysis for every player. Here is an example of what you got for a player like Rizzo last year:

Profile: There's a lot of bellyaching in certain circles about the season Anthony Rizzo put up in 2013. Yes, he only hit .233. And yeah, he only hit 23 homers. But he did something very important, too. He maintained strikeout and isolated slugging numbers that were better than league -- for the second year in a row. Guess what the average batting average was for a qualified batter that did those things last season? .285. Coincidentally, that's the exact batting average Rizzo had in 2012. The point is that Rizzo has power, and he makes contact better than the league rate, and that combo is rare. Let's say you don't want to pencil him for a .285 batting average next year -- maybe you think he's just not a line drive hitter -- .233 is absurdly low for a player with his skillset, and his .258 batting average on balls in play is mostly to blame. Consider he's only 24, so he's pre-peak with regards to his power, too. Just a little boost, and Rizzo's within a chip shot and a ducksnort of .280 and 30 homers. Two players hit those benchmarks last year -- Chris Davis and Paul Goldschmidt. If you can't afford the first two, consider the bargain bin version in this year's drafts. (Eno Sarris)

The Quick Opinion: For a guy that struck out less than league average and showed good power, Rizzo got a lot of grief for his 2013 season. Make others' pain your gain by buying low on the Cubbie slugger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread