What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals RB mess, what to make of it? (1 Viewer)

pizzatyme

Footballguy
I'm trying to make sense of this backfield mess. With all of these options, who gets what?

I'm concerned about Rudi if the Bengals are even pondering a move for Alexander. I also thought Watson played decently last year when given the chance.

Make me some sense here :wub:

Any chance at understanding it it constantly undermined by injuries. Rudi was hurt. Irons could have been the guy but he was hurt. Chris Perry has been hurt for the last 40 or 50 years at least. For all I can tell Kenny Watson will end up their main RB. I really have no clue how many healthy bodies they'll have.

Stay away, far away if possible.

Irons I think will fall far short of how most view his potetial to be.

I see a short injury riddled career for both he and Perry.

Stay away, far away if possible.Irons I think will fall far short of how most view his potetial to be.I see a short injury riddled career for both he and Perry..
C'mon Ron. Be a little optimistic on Kenny. As an Irons owner, I'm excited to see what he can do now that he'll be a full season removed from his injury. He had a very productive college career and could be perfectly suited for Cincy's offense. You just hang in there.

-Rudi gets 1st and 2nd downs

-Kenny Watson gets 3rd downs

-Chris Perry has his last chance to prove healthy in Training Camp, if he fails he's cut. If he succeeds he's the 3rd RB.

-Kenny Irons sucks and his rehab reportedly is not going as planned, he may not be ready for the start of the season and depending on how Dorsey and Perry do I believe may be PUP'd

-Dorsey is plan C to Perry and Irons, if either Perry or Irons pan out I think Dorsey will be cut and the Bungles will hope he clears waivers to stuff on the practice squad

-Alexander won't be a Bungle unless something happens to Rudi in Training Camp and Alexander is still unsigned

-Kenny Irons sucks and his rehab reportedly is not going as planned, he may not be ready for the start of the season and depending on how Dorsey and Perry do I believe may be PUP'd
Got a link?
From what I understand, it's a year-long recovery to be able to do his job and two years to make it back to 100%. Eight months and he just sucks? PUP is a reality for him and that's probably why they're talking to SA. Don't expect him to do much before '09, but I really don't think he sucks.

Got a link?
From what I understand, it's a year-long recovery to be able to do his job and two years to make it back to 100%. Eight months and he just sucks? PUP is a reality for him and that's probably why they're talking to SA. Don't expect him to do much before '09, but I really don't think he sucks.
No link, I read it on here not too long ago, that poster did have a link though.I don't think Irons sucks because he blew out his knee, I thought he sucked ever since college. He is on the roster of a dyno team I inherited, I am not too happy about it. The second he gets the slightest hint of value (I don't think it will happen) he's gone.

Got a link?
No link, I read it on here not too long ago, that poster did have a link though.I don't think Irons sucks because he blew out his knee, I thought he sucked ever since college. He is on the roster of a dyno team I inherited, I am not too happy about it. The second he gets the slightest hint of value (I don't think it will happen) he's gone.
Did you get to see him at all in '05? Just asking 'cause he was really beat up all of '06 and didn't look himself. In '05, he looked like the toughest pound-for-pound RB in his class with a good burst and adequate long speed. Not as shifty as I'd like, and small for his style of running, but a bull nonetheless.

I like Watson and Irons. You can get them both very late ATM in drafts. Nobody is sure what is going to happen but I think everyone will agree that PROBABLY the starter of a Cinci game at RB will have a very good shot at producing top 10 numbers for that week.

So, that makes that person pretty valuable.

I think Watson has shown he can do the job and I think on the longershot side Irons has a lot of potential and if he stays healthy, could emerge into something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a link?
Did you get to see him at all in '05? Just asking 'cause he was really beat up all of '06 and didn't look himself. In '05, he looked like the toughest pound-for-pound RB in his class with a good burst and adequate long speed. Not as shifty as I'd like, and small for his style of running, but a bull nonetheless.
When healthy, Perry is the most talented back on that team. They key is if he can stay healthy. Most people are saying no, but I'd say there is at least a chance.

Got a link?
When healthy, Perry is the most talented back on that team. They key is if he can stay healthy. Most people are saying no, but I'd say there is at least a chance.
Very :bye:

Got a link?
I love SEC football, so yes I did have plenty of chances to watch him before he got banged up. Granted I didn't watch him as intently as I did his Sr. year but I did watch quite a bit of him. I don't have my notes on him anymore but they said something along the lines of doesn't move wellpoor visionavg speedirratic instincts (saw the burst sometimes, but more hesitation than burst)solid between the tacklesdecent thunder in a thunder and lightning combo but more likely better suited for a backup roleHe looked a step slower in 06 (for good reason) and I wish he had lasted more than one series in pre-season because what I saw out of him in that series looked no different than what I saw out of him his Sr. year. Just didn't look like he had it, why? Great question, but he just hasn't looked the same since 05. Now he has a blown out knee too? on top of him already looking hesitant coming off less severe injuries? I've written him off.

Rudi will bounce back in 2008. :football:
if you're going to bet on anything in your early drafts, thats the best bet imo - Rudi becomes solid value in the 6th-7th. Camp will make this clearer, and imo it'll be Rudi emerging as the starter, and the price will go up until Rudi is a 3rd/4th rounder by mid August.

Here's a new article from Mark Curnutte, who I trust as much as any Bengals beat writer. Looks like Perry is healthy... for now:

link

The reason the Bengals didn't take a running back in last month's NFL Draft wasn't because they wanted to sign Shaun Alexander, who had been released by Seattle.

The reason is that running back Chris Perry, their oft-injured 2004 first-round pick, appears to be healthy and ready to play this year.

Perry, 26, who has played just one full season in four years in the NFL, has two years remaining on his rookie contract.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Sunday that Perry will be available Tuesday when the team begins voluntary on-field work. Perry was placed on season-ending injured reserve in 2007 after sustaining a serious ankle injury Nov. 26, 2006.

A deal with Alexander, who will turn 31 in August, is risky. He played in 13 games with 11 starts last season, missing three games because of a sprained left knee. He played through a left wrist fractured in Week 1. In 2006, he missed six games because of a severely bruised left foot that eventually resulted in a fracture.

Alexander visited Cincinnati on Sunday and Monday and New Orleans on Wednesday before returning to his home in Seattle without a contract.

A deal would be unlikely from the Bengals, who already have depth at running back in Kenny Watson - who rushed for 763 yards and seven touchdowns in 2007 - and promising third-year player DeDe Dorsey.

No discussions were held Friday between the Bengals and agent Jim Steiner, who represents Alexander.

"Nothing yet," Steiner said Friday in an e-mail to The Enquirer.

At this point, the Bengals appear to be counting on Rudi Johnson, who doesn't turn 28 until Oct. 1, to be their featured back. Johnson has two seasons remaining on a five-year contract. Lewis says - and Johnson agrees - that the player has healed from a hamstring injury that cost him five games and seven starts in 2007.

The Bengals want Perry to return to the role he occupied in 2005, when he played in 14 games with two starts and had 51 receptions and a 4.6-yard rushing average as Johnson's backup.

The talk of Rudi falling off so dramatically reminds me of the Jamal Lewis talk last offseason. Just because a guy is in the last half of his career and had a down year doesn't mean he can't rebound.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Here's a new article from Mark Curnutte, who I trust as much as any Bengals beat writer. Looks like Perry is healthy... for now:

link

The reason the Bengals didn't take a running back in last month's NFL Draft wasn't because they wanted to sign Shaun Alexander, who had been released by Seattle.

The reason is that running back Chris Perry, their oft-injured 2004 first-round pick, appears to be healthy and ready to play this year.

Perry, 26, who has played just one full season in four years in the NFL, has two years remaining on his rookie contract.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Sunday that Perry will be available Tuesday when the team begins voluntary on-field work. Perry was placed on season-ending injured reserve in 2007 after sustaining a serious ankle injury Nov. 26, 2006.

A deal with Alexander, who will turn 31 in August, is risky. He played in 13 games with 11 starts last season, missing three games because of a sprained left knee. He played through a left wrist fractured in Week 1. In 2006, he missed six games because of a severely bruised left foot that eventually resulted in a fracture.

Alexander visited Cincinnati on Sunday and Monday and New Orleans on Wednesday before returning to his home in Seattle without a contract.

A deal would be unlikely from the Bengals, who already have depth at running back in Kenny Watson - who rushed for 763 yards and seven touchdowns in 2007 - and promising third-year player DeDe Dorsey.

No discussions were held Friday between the Bengals and agent Jim Steiner, who represents Alexander.

At this point, the Bengals appear to be counting on Rudi Johnson, who doesn't turn 28 until Oct. 1, to be their featured back. Johnson has two seasons remaining on a five-year contract. Lewis says - and Johnson agrees - that the player has healed from a hamstring injury that cost him five games and seven starts in 2007.

The Bengals want Perry to return to the role he occupied in 2005, when he played in 14 games with two starts and had 51 receptions and a 4.6-yard rushing average as Johnson's backup.
Math is Curnette's strong suit. Rudi was born in October of 1979. He is 28. He will turn 29.Also, Rudi didn't have "a" bad year. In 2006, he averaged 3.8 yards per carry. That is not good. Last year, despite having over 150 carries, he averaged under 3.0 YPC. That is terrible.

Rudi seems like a great guy and was a great story. However, history has never been kind to big physical inside runners without elite speed who lose a step. Those guys go from 1000 yard rushers to useless fast. I think it is far more likely that Rudi will be useless than it is he will be useful.

Edit to add: Lewis was an elite first round talent drafted in top 5. I see little similarity with he and Rudi.

I like what Watson did last year, but he was born in March 1978, so he just turned 30 years old. Anyone expecting much from him other than productivity as a 3rd down back will be disappointed.

Rudi will bounce back in 2008. :confused:
if you're going to bet on anything in your early drafts, thats the best bet imo - Rudi becomes solid value in the 6th-7th. Camp will make this clearer, and imo it'll be Rudi emerging as the starter, and the price will go up until Rudi is a 3rd/4th rounder by mid August.
I gotta agree with the Bloom. I am done betting on Perry. Watson is Old. Irons is coming off an ACL. Rudi is the only one who has really done anything.

Rudi will bounce back in 2008. :lmao:
I gotta agree with the Bloom. I am done betting on Perry. Watson is Old. Irons is coming off an ACL. Rudi is the only one who has really done anything.
Watson was pretty darn good last season in PPR leagues. If the Bengals don't make any RB moves I think it will come down to Rudi and Watson again. I have zero belief Perry can stay healthy but even if he does I see him more as a third-down RB and not a featured RB. So I think a healthy Perry impacts Watson more than Rudi - unless Rudi just flops again which is very possible. I've been a big Rudi fan but I find it hard to believe that all of his problems last season were just a result of his hamstring injury. I wonder if the mileage has caught up to him. He had a lot of carries going into last season:2004: 3612005: 3372006: 341Even if he didn't start for most of his first two seasons, I still wonder if all those carries have worn him down. The only good thing I see about Rudi is the risk is low for him since he's falling into the 25-30 range among RBs in drafts right now. So you can grab him as a RB3 and hope he rebounds. I'd probably take him over someone like Thomas Jones (another vet coming off a disappointing season) but if the choice was Rudi as my RB3 or a rookie like Forte, Felix Jones, Mendenhall or maybe Kevin Smith I'm going with the rookie. Even if Rudi has a great camp I don't think my mindset will change. He had a great camp last year too and looked terrific in the preseason and we all saw how meaningless that ultimately was.

The talk of Rudi falling off so dramatically reminds me of the Jamal Lewis talk last offseason. Just because a guy is in the last half of his career and had a down year doesn't mean he can't rebound.
So you view Rudi's and Jamal's talents overall as being equivalent, with both of them being equally reliant upon their team situation to produce, eh? If you do, I think you're pretty alone in that. Jamal is a kuncklehead who got into legal trouble and was put into prison one offseason, resulting in him getting fat and out of shape. He corrected that the next season and rebounded. Rudi's had a good run but I can't see much aside from his mileage to explain how he's dropped off. He was never a special talent, just a tough workhorse who remained durable enough for a good offensive team with few other reliable RB options to lean on. I think Rudi's on a slow fade towards the end of his career. His best years are behind him.

Sigmund Bloom said:

link

I linked to an interview the other day with Brakowski, who named everyone BUT Perry as having a role in the RB corp. Maybe its misinformation, maybe he doesn't want to jinx it, but I found it interesting.

So you view Rudi's and Jamal's talents overall as being equivalent, with both of them being equally reliant upon their team situation to produce, eh? If you do, I think you're pretty alone in that. Jamal is a kuncklehead who got into legal trouble and was put into prison one offseason, resulting in him getting fat and out of shape. He corrected that the next season and rebounded. Rudi's had a good run but I can't see much aside from his mileage to explain how he's dropped off. He was never a special talent, just a tough workhorse who remained durable enough for a good offensive team with few other reliable RB options to lean on. I think Rudi's on a slow fade towards the end of his career. His best years are behind him.
If I recall, heading into last season, Rudi shed a bunch of weight trying to pick up some speed. It had the opposite result in that he was just easier to bring down. Supposedly he's regained his previous form heading into this year. FWIW

In PPR, Watson real late in the draft is the shark move. The games where he started last year he was a monster. Even the games where he had 10 touches he was goo for 10-15 points due to the receptions.

If Rudi goes down, Watson is the back to have (PPR).

Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals RB Chris Perry (ankle) looked smooth and quick while showing off his great hands during the team's first day of offseason training activities Tuesday, May 13. It was his first football action on the field since fracturing his ankle in November of 2006.

Link

In PPR, Watson real late in the draft is the shark move. The games where he started last year he was a monster. Even the games where he had 10 touches he was goo for 10-15 points due to the receptions.If Rudi goes down, Watson is the back to have (PPR).
Watson was good last season, but I think Irons is more talented -- if Irons is healthy I think he will get his shot as I don't feel Cincy believes Watson is starter material.

Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals RB Chris Perry (ankle) looked smooth and quick while showing off his great hands during the team's first day of offseason training activities Tuesday, May 13. It was his first football action on the field since fracturing his ankle in November of 2006.

Link
:goodposting: Dear football gods... Please let him be healthy this year.

Link
:excited: Dear football gods... Please let him be healthy this year.
:cry: Claimed him off waivers last year, and my team is thin at RB. :fingerscrossed:

My problem with this situation is it seems like I would need to sock away at least 3 guys to make sure I had the starter. I could gamble with any one guy and use my roster spots elsewhere, or I could just avoid all together. I think I will do the latter...

My problem with this situation is it seems like I would need to sock away at least 3 guys to make sure I had the starter. I could gamble with any one guy and use my roster spots elsewhere, or I could just avoid all together. I think I will do the latter...
What you're saying definitely applies to redraft, but for dynasty purposes, particularly when you've got my situation with a weak RB corps, seasons can be saved by striking it rich with the Olandis Gary's of the world. Chris Perry, Chris Taylor, Ahmad Bradshaw, etc. are all guys that could be big time sleepers this year.

In PPR, Watson real late in the draft is the shark move. The games where he started last year he was a monster. Even the games where he had 10 touches he was goo for 10-15 points due to the receptions.If Rudi goes down, Watson is the back to have (PPR).
Watson was good last season, but I think Irons is more talented -- if Irons is healthy I think he will get his shot as I don't feel Cincy believes Watson is starter material.
All indications are that Irons wont be ready for camp, maybe not even the beginning of the season. Dont think rehab is going very well.Good news is that Perry is playing and healthy (for now).

What you're saying definitely applies to redraft, but for dynasty purposes, particularly when you've got my situation with a weak RB corps, seasons can be saved by striking it rich with the Olandis Gary's of the world. Chris Perry, Chris Taylor, Ahmad Bradshaw, etc. are all guys that could be big time sleepers this year.
I can see that. Taking a flier on one guy is one thing. Reaching for a guy and adding a couple other guys for insurance is another. Pick your poison with this group. The org has a lot of loyalty to Rudi. I think it's his job to lose. But I also hate when I hear that a guy comes into camp, lighter or heavier, and plans on playing that way instead of coming in at their own playing weight. Rudi evidently bulked up in the offseason. That worries me. Whenever anyone does that to me it spells the beginning of the end....

All indications are that Irons wont be ready for camp, maybe not even the beginning of the season. Dont think rehab is going very well.Good news is that Perry is playing and healthy (for now).
Rumor is that Irons starts off on the PUP.

I agree with Lewis but it's a different story. Lewis had a 3.6 ypc, 900yard, 9 TD when he left Baltimore and they had a really awful O-line. Rudi had a pathetic 2.9 ypc and under 500 yards in 11 games. That is flat out pathetic, add that to the fact that Rudi has a very good O-line, it's just pathetic.

This is not the popular opinion in the shark pool, but I think a healthy Perry >>> a healthy Irons.
:goodposting:
Very :goodposting:
I think Perry is a better talent than Irons, but I just recently picked up Irons in a dynasty league and given the chance I think I would have taken Irons over Perry. It's a dynasty league and even if Perry gets healthy this year, it won't be for long. I don't think it will be soon but I think Irons is the eventual starter in Cincy.

I know there's been a recent article by a beat writer pimping Perry, but for the life of me I don't get it...guy has sucked forever...all of a sudden he's "the man" in Cincy??

I know there's been a recent article by a beat writer pimping Perry, but for the life of me I don't get it...guy has sucked forever...all of a sudden he's "the man" in Cincy??
There's a difference between "sucked" and "been injured".Also, who's saying he's "the man"?

Perry definitely doesn't suck. I watch every Bengals game and he brings a lot to the table. During the 2005 season he stood out every time he got in the game with nice moves and big plays. The broken ankle he has been recovering from is a freak thing and doesn't mean he can't stay healthy. I am very excited to hear he looks like he did before the injury. Perry is a big play waiting to happen and I can't wait to see him in action again.

Chris Perry reportedly looked "smooth and quick" during Tuesday's OTA.

It was the first time Perry had been on the field since November 2006, and he reportedly made a number of nice one-handed catches. The Bengals are counting on him to stay healthy and he could assume a role similar to the one that made him a PPR option in 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread