What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Berries and Personal Sanity (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
My wife and I have been doing a refrigerator dance similar to Abbott and Costello's Who's On First (Link for the younger generation).

My wife likes raspberries and blackberries. I like blueberries and strawberries. We both go grocery shopping individually. She's been buying raspberries and blackberries. I've been buying blueberries and strawberries. That's worked for a long time. She's voiced many times that she likes her raspberries and blackberries and doesn't like blueberries and strawberries.

Several months ago, I noticed we seemed to always be out of strawberries and blueberries, so I started buying more of them. And we started having to throw out raspberries and blackberries because no one was eating them. She started telling me to eat the raspberries and blackberries, so I did. Of course, then she started getting mad that I kept eating them and she had to buy more of them. She got tired of buying them and insisted that I buy them to make up for all the ones I ate.

Apparently, somewhere in here, she started liking the blueberries and strawberries, because she started buying them too. So each of us were buying raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Of course, we couldn't eat that many berries, and we ended up having to toss half of them. She kept asking me why I was buying so many berries, and I said because you asked me to. She said I know she doesn't like blueberries and strawberries, there's no need to buy any for her.

I went back to buying blueberries and strawberries. She went back to eating my blueberries and strawberries (and her raspberries and blackberries went back to getting moldy and having to be tossed). I finally mentioned to her that she's told me many times that she doesn't like blueberries and strawberries, why does she keep eating my blueberries and strawberries? She said they aren't MY berries, they are OUR berries, and she can eat whatever she wants, thank you very much.

OK, fine, whatevs. So, she started buying her own strawberries and I was told I was not to eat HER BERRIES. Great, now that that was clear, I continued to buy my own strawberries. Except her strawberries would sit there and mine would be gone the next day. I brought this up and was informed that my strawberries looked way better and tastier, so she ate OUR BERRIES. Meanwhile, the ones she bought got moldy and had to be tossed (after I was clearly instructed not to touch them). And the raspberries and blackberries still rarely get eaten, so we still end up having to toss half the berries. But heaven forbid if I actually ate them before they went bad, as she got those berries for her. Calgon, take me away. Moral of the story, start hiding berries.

It’s a big pet peeve of mine to throw away food. I’m not picky so I’ll eat whatever and the wife does all the shopping. Fine. But she buys too much and doesn’t do meal planning so invariably we toss out stuff before it’s used. I will say I’m somewhat hypocritical because the one thing I buy for myself is avocado as I’m the only one that eats it and occasionally I’ll forget and have to toss them.

My wife and I have been doing a refrigerator dance similar to Abbott and Costello's Who's On First (Link for the younger generation).

My wife likes raspberries and blackberries. I like blueberries and strawberries. We both go grocery shopping individually. She's been buying raspberries and blackberries. I've been buying blueberries and strawberries. That's worked for a long time. She's voiced many times that she likes her raspberries and blackberries and doesn't like blueberries and strawberries.

Several months ago, I noticed we seemed to always be out of strawberries and blueberries, so I started buying more of them. And we started having to throw out raspberries and blackberries because no one was eating them. She started telling me to eat the raspberries and blackberries, so I did. Of course, then she started getting mad that I kept eating them and she had to buy more of them. She got tired of buying them and insisted that I buy them to make up for all the ones I ate.

Apparently, somewhere in here, she started liking the blueberries and strawberries, because she started buying them too. So each of us were buying raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Of course, we couldn't eat that many berries, and we ended up having to toss half of them. She kept asking me why I was buying so many berries, and I said because you asked me to. She said I know she doesn't like blueberries and strawberries, there's no need to buy any for her.

I went back to buying blueberries and strawberries. She went back to eating my blueberries and strawberries (and her raspberries and blackberries went back to getting moldy and having to be tossed). I finally mentioned to her that she's told me many times that she doesn't like blueberries and strawberries, why does she keep eating my blueberries and strawberries? She said they aren't MY berries, they are OUR berries, and she can eat whatever she wants, thank you very much.

OK, fine, whatevs. So, she started buying her own strawberries and I was told I was not to eat HER BERRIES. Great, now that that was clear, I continued to buy my own strawberries. Except her strawberries would sit there and mine would be gone the next day. I brought this up and was informed that my strawberries looked way better and tastier, so she ate OUR BERRIES. Meanwhile, the ones she bought got moldy and had to be tossed (after I was clearly instructed not to touch them). And the raspberries and blackberries still rarely get eaten, so we still end up having to toss half the berries. But heaven forbid if I actually ate them before they went bad, as she got those berries for her. Calgon, take me away. Moral of the story, start hiding berries.
So, in the fridge do you have separate sections where you have to store your berries?

It’s a big pet peeve of mine to throw away food. I’m not picky so I’ll eat whatever and the wife does all the shopping. Fine. But she buys too much and doesn’t do meal planning so invariably we toss out stuff before it’s used. I will say I’m somewhat hypocritical because the one thing I buy for myself is avocado as I’m the only one that eats it and occasionally I’ll forget and have to toss them.
Whenever we're putting away groceries, there's usually at least one item my wife picked out for herself (like some kind of yogurt I don't like) where I ask, "Should I just throw this away now, or do you want to wait until it's expired?"

Naturally, she's a big fan of those comments.

I am having a difficult time ranking the berries. Raspberry>blueberry>strawberry>blackberry is where I think I land.

Buy some decoy berries to distract your wife from the ones you want to eat.

But seriously, all the fresh berries I buy go directly into the freezer, where they may last for months. Whenever I want berries, it's just rinse and go.

I kept thinking berries were a euphemism for dots. Buy and hide a mini fridge to store your berries? Some people would say this is not a big deal but I would disagree- I would probably turn it into a fight. We live in a society!

If your account of the events here are indeed accurate, then your wife has some significant issues.

The best ways to not waste food will be

1) Have an area in your fridge near the front where items that need to be used immediately or very soon go. That's where you go first before you use anything else

2) Things that are going to go bad soon, put it in a blender or put it in a stew. If it's fruit about to go bad, you can blend it. Make a drink or a smoothie. Some people will freeze it as well. Things like vegetables or maybe meat that's going to go, you can put it in a stew.

3) Have a "one year rule" to any item you have to throw away. If you are negligent about rotation or using your food before it spoils, you cannot buy that item again for a full year from the date you threw it out. If you throw away cheese because it's gone bad, you can't buy cheese for another year. Milk. Produce. Everything.

My first little business was just a truck and I hauled and delivered things. I worked very hard and broke my back to suffer and toil to make not that much money. So every little bit I could get with that money, I didn't want to waste it.

One my neighbors in Medina that I got to know, he said something very jarring to me once, he said there's that saying about "Starving Kids In China". He said, "Well, it's not just a saying, it was my mom when she was a kid. She was one of those starving kids"

The first step to a fruitful life is to be grateful. I've observed over many years, that many of you, not all, but far too many, are constantly complaining about what you don't have, what you weren't given, what you desire but won't earn, what the world owes you. At a core fundamental level, I accept that I'm not a good person. I will never be a good person. But I was never ungrateful. Just being grateful probably helped me mentally and emotionally weather many very hard moments. In the end, that mindset probably saved my life.

What's the best dessert with berries? I'm leaning blackberry cobbler at the moment, but I can be persuaded.
I’m a big fan of making a compote and serving them over pancakes. A nice alternative to syrup and really delicious. Have a couple strips of bacon on the side and I’d eat that off my own nipples.

I had a college girlfriend who would always take a drink of my Coke and screw up my pizza:Coke ratio. I was a foolish college kid with no perspective, so this really annoyed me, though I never made a big deal about it.

30 years later, she's a good family friend, and she came to visit recently. She took a sip of my Coke Zero (I'm old) and screwed up my pizza:Coke ratio. I'm a foolish old man, so this really annoyed me, though I didn't make a big deal about it.

I feel like this could be how World War III ends up starting. Stories like this are valuable to people like me. It makes us feel good about being single.

What's the best dessert with berries? I'm leaning blackberry cobbler at the moment, but I can be persuaded.
I’m a big fan of making a compote and serving them over pancakes. A nice alternative to syrup and really delicious. Have a couple strips of bacon on the side and I’d eat that off my own nipples.
To be fair, I'd eat anything off those nipples.

Every week we go shopping together and get raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries, and bananas :shrug:
Also buy the triple berry frozen mix at Costco and do half frozen/half fresh berries for smoothies.

If your account of the events here are indeed accurate, then your wife has some significant issues.
Seriously. Who likes raspberries and blackberries but not blueberries and strawberries?
I like raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Blueberries are nasty.

Mr likes strawberries and blackberries. He will tolerate a blueberry. He dislikes raspberries.

I guess it takes all sorts.

I am having a difficult time ranking the berries. Raspberry>blueberry>strawberry>blackberry is where I think I land.

Buy some decoy berries to distract your wife from the ones you want to eat.
Better, buy plastic ones so she thinks there are some still there.

If you like blueberries, huckleberries are even better. And the number 1 on the @-fish- list, boysenberry, is really good, too.

But pretty much any berry is tasty. My wife eats a ton of black and blueberries, plus apples and papayas. Fruit rarely spoils in our house, but one issue I have with a lot of produce is the plastic packaging. It is terrible for the environment, wastes a lot of refrigerator space, and my wife refuses to consolidate when the containers are mostly empty.

Taste - Blackberry, blueberry raspberry strawberry,
Texture - straw, blue, black rasp
Ease of consumption - blue, straw, rasp, black
Appearance - straw, blue, black, rasp

Best in milkshake - black
Best on ice cream - straw
Best in yogurt - blue
Best in jam/preserves - rasp/black (tie)
Best for sex beads - blue

Users who are viewing this thread