What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2013 (1 Viewer)

Id have to say the 2 biggest surprises for me this year were Vampire Weekend and Arctic Monkeys.

I liked VW's debut quite a bit, but it wasnt great songwriting by any means and had a few fillers. I didnt care much for Contra at all and cant name a song I liked off it because after a handful of listens I could tell it wasnt hitting me like the debut and seemed like a sell out album. I guess that's where the biggest surprise comes for me with them and Modern Vampires since I have liked some of their previous work, but with the new one I felt like theyve taken it to an much higher level musically, lyrically, and just general songwriting. Many songs are quite catchy, but that "cheap" catchiness of the debut is gone as theyve matured and the music has more depth to it. What also surprises me at tells me how great of an album it is, is that literally 7-8 tracks from it could be my favorite from the album on a given day.

As for Arctic Monkeys, never listened to them much. I remember their debut blowing up when I was in college, including in my circle of friends who listened to more indie type music than myself those days. I gave it a shot, but couldnt get into at all and didnt understand the hype. Over the past few months even listening to WPSIATWIN again, as well as the rest of their albums, while there are songs here and there I like a lot, in general they dont do much for me. However, I think AM is fantastic. I guess it remains to be seen with their next album if AM was a progression in their sound or more of an outlier, but I hear so many different influences on it yet it sounds like their own, and the track to track stylings are much more varied than their previous efforts. Im certainly hoping they continue in this direction.

I realize both of these bands are pretty popular and have plenty of fans around here and elsewhere, but just based on my expectations and enjoyment of both bands previously, these were both major surprises for me. I think both deserve all of the end of the year acclaim they are getting, and both are probably in my top 5 of 2013 which I thought was loaded with great albums.
Agree 100%. Like I wrote the post myself. Two albums I discovered in the last week and both are excellent.

Id have to say the 2 biggest surprises for me this year were Vampire Weekend and Arctic Monkeys.

I liked VW's debut quite a bit, but it wasnt great songwriting by any means and had a few fillers. I didnt care much for Contra at all and cant name a song I liked off it because after a handful of listens I could tell it wasnt hitting me like the debut and seemed like a sell out album. I guess that's where the biggest surprise comes for me with them and Modern Vampires since I have liked some of their previous work, but with the new one I felt like theyve taken it to an much higher level musically, lyrically, and just general songwriting. Many songs are quite catchy, but that "cheap" catchiness of the debut is gone as theyve matured and the music has more depth to it. What also surprises me at tells me how great of an album it is, is that literally 7-8 tracks from it could be my favorite from the album on a given day.

As for Arctic Monkeys, never listened to them much. I remember their debut blowing up when I was in college, including in my circle of friends who listened to more indie type music than myself those days. I gave it a shot, but couldnt get into at all and didnt understand the hype. Over the past few months even listening to WPSIATWIN again, as well as the rest of their albums, while there are songs here and there I like a lot, in general they dont do much for me. However, I think AM is fantastic. I guess it remains to be seen with their next album if AM was a progression in their sound or more of an outlier, but I hear so many different influences on it yet it sounds like their own, and the track to track stylings are much more varied than their previous efforts. Im certainly hoping they continue in this direction.

I realize both of these bands are pretty popular and have plenty of fans around here and elsewhere, but just based on my expectations and enjoyment of both bands previously, these were both major surprises for me. I think both deserve all of the end of the year acclaim they are getting, and both are probably in my top 5 of 2013 which I thought was loaded with great albums.
Agree 100%. Like I wrote the post myself. Two albums I discovered in the last week and both are excellent.
These will both be in my top 5..

Vampire Weekend would probably be my album of the year. Don't know if it's me or the music, but my attention span has become pretty short. Don't feel like many albums had a lot of replay value this year.

Vampire Weekend would probably be my album of the year. Don't know if it's me or the music, but my attention span has become pretty short. Don't feel like many albums had a lot of replay value this year.
There were still lots I loved this year but I don't feel like I have the attention span for double albums. I inevitably think they should have cut them down to 45 minute or less. Particularly true if Arcade Fire and Daft Punk this year but I can't think of the last double album I thought justified the length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not technically 2013 only but stonesour'still two part album, part one was 2012. Buddy of mine loves them, bought me a ticket to their show later this month, and gave me all their music to play catch up. Been listening to their entire catalogue since Thanksgiving. Beginning to end this double album us just fantastic.

Not technically 2013 only but stonesour'still two part album, part one was 2012. Buddy of mine loves them, bought me a ticket to their show later this month, and gave me all their music to play catch up. Been listening to their entire catalogue since Thanksgiving. Beginning to end this double album us just fantastic.
Does it sound like 'Bother' because that's as deep as I've gotten into Stone Sour.

Does it sound like 'Bother' because that's as deep as I've gotten into Stone Sour.
unlike most rock groups I think they have done a good job not falling into a niche. Good balance. And their ballads, anthems, and hard hitters aren't just regurgitated verrsions of previous work. Bother is great, but can't think of any other song like it. It's almost like once they perfect something they approach their next recording going, lets not do that again we have done all we can. What else can we do great?

Last edited by a moderator:
ASG was my favorite this year, along with Dirty Fences. I guess I should check out Vampire Weekend.. NOT

Two of those dudes in FIDLAR are the sons of the keyboardist (?) in TSOL. Nigel, this is TSOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXQcCC6zBIc
whoa... haven't thought of that band in forever. TSOL, the DKs and the F-Ups were the names of choice to be markered onto denim jackets and checkerboard Vans back in my yoot.
I was never a big fan. I kind of fell out of love with the DK's, post-adolescence, but saw some recording videos of them recently and was blown away. They were a powerful band. Shame that they had a falling out and the rest of the band is playing with some other joker singing.
I met the future Mrs. Eephus via DH Peligro's roommate back in the day. Darren is a hilarious, big hearted guy who was like the stereotypical drummer from Central Casting. I reconnected w/ him via Facebook a couple of years ago. He's cleaned up and is making a living with his own band and the occasional DKs tour. It's too bad that Jello is such a #### because they were a tremendous live act when they were hitting on all cylinders.
Like this?

Users who are viewing this thread