What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2016 (1 Viewer)

Re:  Margo Price

Thanks again for spotlighting her.  Really been digging her album.  Found out she is at a local bar/club in Nashville mid June and just picked up two tickets.  Looking forward to seeing her.

Update:  Saw her last night and she was phenomenal.  Such a good voice and songwriter. (writes with her husband who played a few with her).  The Mayor of Nashville was there last night as was her guest Mr. Eddie George.  Good night.

This is not my Video, but the best I could find from last night:  Black Rose  That's her husband in the hat.

Update:  Saw her last night and she was phenomenal.  Such a good voice and songwriter. (writes with her husband who played a few with her).  The Mayor of Nashville was there last night as was her guest Mr. Eddie George.  Good night.

This is not my Video, but the best I could find from last night:  Black Rose  That's her husband in the hat.
Great song to celebrate Ole' Waylon's birthday.   

One record that has my full interest is "Outer Heaven" by the Greys.    Anyone here know about this joint?   seems like what I know of tastes of some in here this would be a big hit. 

Track samples:

Blown Out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NSI7F7QEoI

No Star:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFhLEOtH6YM

From the Amazon editorial on Outer Heaven:

This is next on my list for consumption.   I'll report back after a couple listens, but all boned up over everything I've heard so far.   

This is probably my AOTY so far.     The Unwound comparison is very on-point for some songs -- Also some touches of the eyelid twitching out-of-tunery of old Polvo.   And of course, if Polvo and Unwound fit the bill , Sonic Youth isn't too far away.   But they have moments of ROCKING FASTER than any of the above mentioned bands.   Sort of Les Savy Fav-ish at times. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One record that has my full interest is "Outer Heaven" by the Greys.    Anyone here know about this joint?   seems like what I know of tastes of some in here this would be a big hit. 

Track samples:

Blown Out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NSI7F7QEoI

No Star:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFhLEOtH6YM

From the Amazon editorial on Outer Heaven:

This is next on my list for consumption.   I'll report back after a couple listens, but all boned up over everything I've heard so far.   

This is probably my AOTY so far.     The Unwound comparison is very on-point for some songs -- Also some touches of the eyelid twitching out-of-tunery of old Polvo.   And of course, if Polvo and Unwound fit the bill , Sonic Youth isn't too far away.   But they have moments of ROCKING FASTER than any of the above mentioned bands.   Sort of Les Savy Fav-ish at times. 

Edited 4 hours ago by AhrnCityPahnder
:blackdot:

The new, probably last  :cry: Tragically Hip album is out today. They haven't been as good as their 89-98 run for a while but still one solid album after another. The new one is apparently very good and produced by Kevin Drew.

Their lead singer, Gord Downie, was recently diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

I keep coming back to PUP and Parquet Courts. 

If you like blast beats, giant metal guitars, but you're not into Cookie Monster vocals or growls, check out Air by Astronoid. They take the  My Bloody Valentine (or something) route with the vocals. 

The new, probably last  :cry: Tragically Hip album is out today. They haven't been as good as their 89-98 run for a while but still one solid album after another. The new one is apparently very good and produced by Kevin Drew.

Their lead singer, Gord Downie, was recently diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.
:(  Grace Too was the greatest SNL performance of all time. Unfortunately, its no longer available for viewing.  :hot:

This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

ah... the new BRONCHO is out (Double Vanity)... just dived in to the first song. been looking forward to this one... hope it's good.

eta: 3 songs in... none of the super-ear-worm-catchy hooks yet... good reverb/feedbacky 3 chord stuff, but their last two had a couple of songs on each that were real grabbers.

ah... the new BRONCHO is out (Double Vanity)... just dived in to the first song. been looking forward to this one... hope it's good.

eta: 3 songs in... none of the super-ear-worm-catchy hooks yet... good reverb/feedbacky 3 chord stuff, but their last two had a couple of songs on each that were real grabbers.
every song is basically the same... kinda disappointing. their first two each had a couple songs on them that were top 20 songs of the year for me. I couldn't tell you one from the next off of this new one.

I gave it a "meh" on first few listens.  

I keep coming back to PUP and Parquet Courts. 

If you like blast beats, giant metal guitars, but you're not into Cookie Monster vocals or growls, check out Air by Astronoid. They take the  My Bloody Valentine (or something) route with the vocals. 
I like this one but I was kinda off with the vocals. Can't place it. Sorta reminds me of Fang Island or some Scandinavian band. 

I haven't had my own office since December so I am way way out of it. I just read through the thread and populated my Spotify while the 1 year old sleeps in the car.  Looking forward to diving in!

btw- seems like post-punk is in trend in a big way... spotify is just hurling new stuff at me every week that turns my crank.

Don't be scurt to check out White Lung's older ####, it's a little more straight up heavy, either way they've been kickass for 5 years or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiikIdGU3Y

Mish Way pretty much all around rules, she's my metal Karen O

Been pretty busy, I have a lot to catch up on

Just a side thing, but I was listening to an interview with the car seat headrest guy and he was talking about a show where the club owner was trying to not pay him $500.  I was kind of shocked that the price was so low.  For you music guys, am I off base there?  For the parties I throw it would be worth 5 bills for somebody like him to show up and play a set.

Don't be scurt to check out White Lung's older ####, it's a little more straight up heavy, either way they've been kickass for 5 years or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiikIdGU3Y

Mish Way pretty much all around rules, she's my metal Karen O

Been pretty busy, I have a lot to catch up on
I was pretty unfamiliar with them until a few weeks ago but really liking what I hear.  It's uptempo enough to keep me going without being too punk or too metal for my tastes.  Right on that edge in a good way.

Just a side thing, but I was listening to an interview with the car seat headrest guy and he was talking about a show where the club owner was trying to not pay him $500.  I was kind of shocked that the price was so low.  For you music guys, am I off base there?  For the parties I throw it would be worth 5 bills for somebody like him to show up and play a set.
where and when did this show happen?

I think if you are doing a club, you might get like half the door.  Depending on the number of people who show up and the cover, the door could only be about $1,000 (maybe 100 people at $10/head).  I don't know that they would necessarily do a party for the same price, because presumably they can sell merch and get more publicity at a club.

Anyway, that's my general take on it.  I've tried to figure out expenses and profit for some bands that I like who have been around a long time and have a small following but haven't really made it, as I wonder how it is really worth it sometimes.

where and when did this show happen?

I think if you are doing a club, you might get like half the door.  Depending on the number of people who show up and the cover, the door could only be about $1,000 (maybe 100 people at $10/head).  I don't know that they would necessarily do a party for the same price, because presumably they can sell merch and get more publicity at a club.

Anyway, that's my general take on it.  I've tried to figure out expenses and profit for some bands that I like who have been around a long time and have a small following but haven't really made it, as I wonder how it is really worth it sometimes.
Yeah, didn't think about the merchandise.  I went back and watched the interview and it didn't specify the date of the show he was referencing, so it could have been when he was just starting out.

such as ...
ah- sorry for the delay...

B Boys, Pink Mexico, Witching Waves, Sauna Youth, Gazebos, Spring King, A Giant Dog, DTCV, Acid Dad, WALL, Angry Angles.

I'd never heard of any of these- and Angry Angles... I sat there listening thinking- somebody has completely aped jay reatard, but who cares- sounds great. looked into them a bit and in spite of spotify showing the album as released in 2016, this was jay reatard's band before he went solo, so yeah- of course it sounds like jay reatard.

I could be confusing Ty with some fo the other prolific white guys in indie... but this seems much harder than his usual stuff? two songs in and :wub:  
I'm a Segall fanboy but this one isn't doing much for me. Something about his guitar tone on this one and the Emotional Mugger album doesn't resonate with me. 

Users who are viewing this thread