What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best RBs that never got a fair shot on a great team (1 Viewer)

People define "great" differently. Marcus Allen won a Super Bowl  but according to someone in this thread Allen never got a fair shot on a great team. Even worse, multiple people liked that particular post. 

Peterson played in a Championship Game. 

I could have mentioned Freeman McNeil earlier but I did not because HE played in a Championship Game as well.

Frank Gore started in a Super Bowl but he was mentioned in this thread too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The conversation begins and ends with Barry Sanders.

Honorable mention goes to Walter Payton. I know he made it to the Super Bowl late in his career but Ditka's ego won out in the Super Bowl and he gave a TD to the Fridge rather than Payton. That is a shame.

Honorable mention goes to Walter Payton. I know he made it to the Super Bowl late in his career but Ditka's ego won out in the Super Bowl and he gave a TD to the Fridge rather than Payton. That is a shame.
I'll never understand why people are bothered by that. Payton got a ring; who cares if he got a touchdown in the Super Bowl or not? 

Not sure how we define great.  I think great teams are pretty rare. Most players never play for a great team. Barry played for good teams. Barry played on two 10 win teams and one 12 team team. 

Hall of Fame RBs with no playoff wins

Ernie Nevers (he did play in pre-playoffs era but never played on a team that was 2 or more games above .500)

Bill Dudley

O.J. Simpson

Ollie Matson

Joe Perry

Floyd Little

Gale Sayers

Hugh McElhenny

Dudley, Matson, Little and Sayers never played in the postseason. 

I'll never understand why people are bothered by that. Payton got a ring; who cares if he got a touchdown in the Super Bowl or not? 
I suspect that if he hadn't tragically passed away, this wouldn't have been anything more than a bar wager or anecdotal footnote.

But since he did pass away far too early, it became magnified as some sort of bitter note in an otherwise brilliant career. 

I think too much is made of it. 

Eric Dickerson has a playoff record of 2-5 and Sanders was 1-5. Sanders is all over this thread. Dickerson has barely been mentioned if at all. I remember the 1985 Rams and 1991 Lions, these fellows' best two teams, and I am actually undecided as to which team was better.

Last edited by a moderator:
anguskahn said:
Sanders is part of the reason that the Lions were never any good.  You can't win games breaking a 40yd run and then getting 50 yards on 20 carries the rest of the game.  Barry's big runs were great but moving the chains wins football games.  Barry's negative runs consistantly killed drives.  That's why Emmit won Superbowls.

Ok, begin bashing.
This post is evidence of you not watching Barry.. and perhaps somehow not watching Emmit.  Emmit winning Superbowls had very little to do with Emmit.  Emmit's contribution to that team would be somewhere on the bottom half of the list out of 11 offensive starters.  

May be overlooking the obvious here, but wouldn't Adrian Peterson be a good candidate for this topic? 
I thought that the point of the question was to think of backs that will never be considered great because they were held back by their team their entire career. Peterson played on some mediocre teams, but they never held his talent down. The years when they had Hutchinson and McKinnie they had one of the best o-lines in the league. It certainly did not hold Peterson back; we got to see everything he had. I think you're taking it more like a "who deserved a shot at a championship?" question.

Sanders is a good answer for both questions. I would like to see what Gurley could do with a halfway competent offence. He must have the worst situation to talent ratio of any back in the league at the moment.

Yes, Walter Payton, who played on a team that many regard as the best team ever and who used him as the focal point of the offense, allowing him to become the leagues all-time leading rusher never got a fair shake.

This post is evidence of you not watching Barry.. and perhaps somehow not watching Emmit.  Emmit winning Superbowls had very little to do with Emmit.  Emmit's contribution to that team would be somewhere on the bottom half of the list out of 11 offensive starters.  
To be honest, its amazing those Cowboys won any superbowls at all. The QB was awful, the RB was JAG, the WR pushed off on every single play and their shutdown corner didnt tackle. .

I suspect that if he hadn't tragically passed away, this wouldn't have been anything more than a bar wager or anecdotal footnote.

But since he did pass away far too early, it became magnified as some sort of bitter note in an otherwise brilliant career. 

I think too much is made of it. 
Making anything of it is making too much of it. 

no love for Corey Dillon in here..
The same Corey Dillon who was a key cog on the Super Bowl winner of 2004? 

I thought that the point of the question was to think of backs that will never be considered great because they were held back by their team their entire career. Peterson played on some mediocre teams, but they never held his talent down. The years when they had Hutchinson and McKinnie they had one of the best o-lines in the league. It certainly did not hold Peterson back; we got to see everything he had. I think you're taking it more like a "who deserved a shot at a championship?" question.
Yep - that's kinda how I interpreted it. My bad if that's not really the case.

but it still might apply - the great backs who were productive might have been even greater in better teams. Sanders is an example of that perhaps. 

Sanders is a good answer for both questions. I would like to see what Gurley could do with a halfway competent offence. He must have the worst situation to talent ratio of any back in the league at the moment.
Yes, agreed. 

Making anything of it is making too much of it. 

The same Corey Dillon who was a key cog on the Super Bowl winner of 2004? 
That doesn't erase that 10 years of his prime when he was arguably the most talented back in the league were wasted on awful teams. I would say more than any playrer mentioned here he had bad teams. If you look at 2 seasons over 30 years old for him and count that sure you can make that argument for any player you list

Floyd Little - went against the great KC and Oakland Defenses with terrible teams - stacked looks and still ran for a lot of yards.

How about a guy who just didn't really get a fair shot because he couldn't beat out the starter? I think Ben Tate was really good but he had Arian Foster ahead of him. 

How about a guy who just didn't really get a fair shot because he couldn't beat out the starter? I think Ben Tate was really good but he had Arian Foster ahead of him. 
Didn't Tate get several chances when Foster was out with various ailments and not perform very well every chance?

I'I certain I had him on at least a couple of those times. 

That doesn't erase that 10 years of his prime when he was arguably the most talented back in the league were wasted on awful teams. I would say more than any playrer mentioned here he had bad teams. If you look at 2 seasons over 30 years old for him and count that sure you can make that argument for any player you list
That's fine, but the thread says "never," not "almost never." 

Hall of Fame RBs with no playoff wins

Ernie Nevers (he did play in pre-playoffs era but never played on a team that was 2 or more games above .500)

Bill Dudley

O.J. Simpson

Ollie Matson

Joe Perry

Floyd Little

Gale Sayers

Hugh McElhenny

Dudley, Matson, Little and Sayers never played in the postseason. 
I guess theres a good argument for Sayers..  (kinda makes sense)  Im wrong again, when I really thought I was right.. 

Sayers was good, so its a shame his team couldn't even make a playoff game..  I guess it would help if we defined what constitutes a " great " team.. An example being Earl and the Oilers going to the playoffs a few years in a row..  We might say a great team needs to play in the championship game back to back or something..  But at the same token, Im not so sure great teams always make it too..

Irregardless, it appears Sayers may get my vote..  Poor guy was out of the hunt for a SB ring, without ever losing a game..

Curtis Martin toiled away on a mostly mediocre Jets team for most of his career. I also agree on Corey Dillion

Forte did not play in a Super Bowl. You are confusing him with Thomas Jones another Bear who later went to the Jets
Holy crap!  You're right.  Why did I think that.  I guess that Super Bowl was further back than I remember.

Allen was on a great team and won a Super Bowl. 

At this forum, you can learn that Marcus Allen did not play for a great team and Leon Lett was a good offensive lineman
You are ridiculous. No one said what you posted. My point about Allen is that after that season Allen was relegated to Davis' dog house. These were his prime years. I truely believe he would have been consider one of the greatest rbs to play the game had Davis not shafted him. So I do not believe he got a fair shot.

Ricky Bell, Tampa. They always sucked.

Earl Campbell, Houston. They usually played second fiddle to the Steelers.

Freeman McNeil, Jets. Not sure if he was great but I liked to see him run. Same for Chuck Muncie but I think he was better than McNeil.

People love to act like if you don't have the best OL in football, you have the worst. The Detroit OL during Barry's years is always tragically underrated. People also love to forget that he played 10 seasons and made the playoffs in half of them. Sure, his teams weren't great but he wasn't shafted like Steven Jackson or OJ Simpson. Both of those guys would've killed to get to play on a good team for a few years (like Corey Dillon at least got a chance to do).

People love to act like if you don't have the best OL in football, you have the worst. The Detroit OL during Barry's years is always tragically underrated. People also love to forget that he played 10 seasons and made the playoffs in half of them. Sure, his teams weren't great but he wasn't shafted like Steven Jackson or OJ Simpson. Both of those guys would've killed to get to play on a good team for a few years (like Corey Dillon at least got a chance to do).
Good point.

MJD too - just wasted on some awful teams.

And in a day when some players hate FFB, the guy straight told people to pick him #1 overall, and IIRC picked himself in his own fantasy league. Then he went out and put up big numbers every year.  Gotta love that. 

Woulda loved to see what he could do on an elite team. There were flashes - Brunell was very good, and they had some receiving talent, but never a complete team. 

Another guy who comes to mind is Eric Dickerson. Dude balled out for 9 years and never sniffed a super bowl. 

I had mentioned Dickerson earlier. I am surprised that on here and other boards, Sanders always gets brought up as having played for crappy teams and you rarely see anyone mention Dickerson. 

They had very similar careers in many ways. Dickerson's teams were 5-4 in making it to the playoffs. Sanders' teams were 5-5. Both lost in NFC title games to eventual Super Bowl champions. 

Well, he won a Super Bowl. He was a key contributor and scored a lot of touchdowns. So he did get a shot to play on a great team.
While yes he does have a Superbowl ring he did it as a bit player in the twilight of his career.

I would've liked to have seen what Riggs could have done in his prime, while on a great team.

Especially when you consider what he was able to accomplish while on those God awful Falcons teams.

Users who are viewing this thread