What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BIG Off-season WR trade (1 Viewer)

wgoldsph

Footballguy
Last year a number of big WR trades went down, and mostly the teams receiving their shiny new toys are happy with the results. Looking at this year's fa crop is pretty depressing, so if any team plans to get better at WR then they'll have to give up something in return. Who do you think could be on the move, and what for?

My thought is that Tampa could package one of Mike Evans or Chris Godwin and their first in order to move into the top ten to grab a qb of their choice.

Cooks may not be big name anymore but seems almost a certainty he gets traded from the Texans after he was publicly upset he didn’t get moved before the trade deadline.

I could see the Raiders moving Adams.

Godwin/Evans are possibilities.

If Dallas drafts a WR, I could see them moving Gallup.

@Buckna stole my thunder with Cooks, who was the 1st player I thought of when I saw this topic.
Very curious on Adams, he is saying publicly the right things but a big deal was made last year about him and Carr being college buddies and that drove Adams desire to be traded there. Does he get traded to wherever Carr lands? Do they ship him off to the highest bidder? Or can they convince him to stay with whatever plan they have for QB going forward?

@Buckna stole my thunder with Cooks, who was the 1st player I thought of when I saw this topic.
Very curious on Adams, he is saying publicly the right things but a big deal was made last year about him and Carr being college buddies and that drove Adams desire to be traded there. Does he get traded to wherever Carr lands? Do they ship him off to the highest bidder? Or can they convince him to stay with whatever plan they have for QB going forward?
Yeah, that’s why he came to mind.

It could certainly make for a tempting package deal for whichever team lands them.

Let’s say it’s the Jets, hypothetically speaking.

That’s suddenly a potentially very dangerous offense.

Evans makes sense because this is the last year of his deal.

Another one on the last year of his deal is Tee Higgins. Though so is Boyd. But if Cincy (historically not huge spenders) wants to get ahead of the curve, maybe they deal Higgins.

Hopkins to somewhere like Chicago just makes too much sense, so I guess that means it's guaranteed not to happen. He doesn't have the same allure of years (plural) of studlyness in front of him, but he's got enough juice to contribute short term, and think of what a guy like him could do to help groom young WRs like Mooney, Claypool, and whoever the Bears draft.

With Brady retiring, I could see Tampa making some kind of Godwin or Evans trade to try and secure a QB plan.

Michael Thomas is likely to be cut, but maybe NO can work out a deal to get something in return?

Another one on the last year of his deal is Tee Higgins. Though so is Boyd. But if Cincy (historically not huge spenders) wants to get ahead of the curve, maybe they deal Higgins.
I read somewhere recently that Cinci has every intention of running it back.

I would think Boyd would be the odd man out if they’re going to make a deal.

I'm sure they'd rather keep Higgins, just thinking that he would certainly fetch more in a trade.

Higgins is special. Chase is just more special. Special-er.

I hope they keep Burrow/Chase and Higgins together for their careers.

Last year a number of big WR trades went down, and mostly the teams receiving their shiny new toys are happy with the results. Looking at this year's fa crop is pretty depressing, so if any team plans to get better at WR then they'll have to give up something in return. Who do you think could be on the move, and what for?

My thought is that Tampa could package one of Mike Evans or Chris Godwin and their first in order to move into the top ten to grab a qb of their choice.
i've been thinking about this one for like 2-3 months. I do wonder if there is any sense if Jefferson would want to leave Minny. He certainly seemed down after they got squashed by the Giants.

Hop is good as gone here. Kyler's big money kicking in next year and no guarantee he's ready Week 1 this season. Likely to prioritize reupping Hollywood (even if IMO he's bound to get overpaid)

Hop was arguably the best WR in the league while Murray was healthy this past season and unlikely his value goes up from here.

Highly unlikely. Don't overestimate the, potential, loss of Carr.

Waller OTOH is a legitimate candidate to be moved.
Agreed about Waller. I think they’ll try to move Renfrow, too.

But I agree Adams is less likely. I just have a feeling if Carr is gone, maybe Adams asks for a trade. After all, he came to the Raiders to play with Carr.
What if Aaron goes to Vegas? Reunion?

But I agree Adams is less likely. I just have a feeling if Carr is gone, maybe Adams asks for a trade. After all, he came to the Raiders to play with Carr.
Definitely possible - I still think Waller & Renfrow are gone in that scenario.

Bet the farm Hopkins and Cooks get traded and quickly.

I think Juedy and Allen are also strong candidates.
I think Sutton is more likely to get moved than Jeudy.
Agree. Jeudy feels like the young guy on the verge of stardom.

Agree Juedy is younger and better but that's kind of the point, the return they would get. Trying to trade Sutton would be more like trying to unload a salary, Jeudy gets you an actual return to a team that needs it.

That would be such a Raider move. Give up a couple 1sts for a 40 year old QB and pay him 59 million (31 million against the cap) if he isn't willing to restructure

I just have a feeling if Carr is gone, maybe Adams asks for a trade. After all, he came to the Raiders to play with Carr.

No, it didn't. Adams is a lifelong Raider fan and wanted to be there regardless. Carr was just icing on the cake, but he's always wanted to play there. He talked about being jealous when they were both drafted and Carr got to go to (then) Oakland.

I don't think there has been a wide receiver more perfectly built for McDaniels's system than Hunter Renfrow. I highly doubt he's not going to be Raider in 2023.

I don't think there has been a wide receiver more perfectly built for McDaniels's system than Hunter Renfrow. I highly doubt he's not going to be Raider in 2023.
Be that as it may, he seemed to fall out of favor in 2022. His usage wasn’t prolific.

He’s also a bit expensive for what he contributed in 2022 @ ~$16M a year.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Then explain the last season. Even when healthy Renfrow was nowhere.

I'm just going to put all my money on McDaniels only being good when BB is there to pull the strings.

i've been thinking about this one for like 2-3 months. I do wonder if there is any sense if Jefferson would want to leave Minny. He certainly seemed down after they got squashed by the Giants.
This is interesting to me as well. A few blurbs and comments along the way make you wonder how he feels about staying in Minny. Not sure what Cousin’s future is in Minnesota and how JJ would feel about question marks at quarterback. Should be another interesting off-season.

His cap charge last year was about $3.5M but to make it that low it's because they spread out some guarantees and bonuses. If they were able to trade him before March 17th they basically have ended up paying him $10.2M for last year.

March 17th is key because he has a $4.32 roster bonus due. My guess is they'd cut him before that was due except that matches the guaranteed portion of his salary so it's almost zero cap savings for next year.

So saying all that my guess is they'd do cartwheels if they found a trade partner before March 17th which would get them out of the roster bonus and guarantees. But I think that would be a situation were they'd have to pay someone to take him. If they wait until after March 17th he gets a little easier to trade, still can't imagine he'd a robust market, and if it went down that way in the end they'd have paid him out $14.5M for last year.

Long story short he has pretty much no trade market right now. Maybe a tiny one after March 17th.

My guess is they just retain him for 2023 due to lack of trade market but again I think they'd give him away right now if they could.

It could certainly make for a tempting package deal for whichever team lands them.

Perhaps, but on the list of needs, WR is fairly low for the jets right now.

His cap charge last year was about $3.5M but to make it that low it's because they spread out some guarantees and bonuses. If they were able to trade him before March 17th they basically have ended up paying him $10.2M for last year.

March 17th is key because he has a $4.32 roster bonus due. My guess is they'd cut him before that was due except that matches the guaranteed portion of his salary so it's almost zero cap savings for next year.

So saying all that my guess is they'd do cartwheels if they found a trade partner before March 17th which would get them out of the roster bonus and guarantees. But I think that would be a situation were they'd have to pay someone to take him. If they wait until after March 17th he gets a little easier to trade, still can't imagine he'd a robust market, and if it went down that way in the end they'd have paid him out $14.5M for last year.

Long story short he has pretty much no trade market right now. Maybe a tiny one after March 17th.

My guess is they just retain him for 2023 due to lack of trade market but again I think they'd give him away right now if they could.
It’s $21M guaranteed IIRC, right?

That’s why I figured they’d try to move him. Interesting contract.

Where’s QB? I’m betting substantially higher.

It’s $21M guaranteed IIRC, right?
I said this in another thread, I think the Lamar one, that there is a big difference between when we hear the words guaranteed vs fully guaranteed which is also the same thing as guaranteed at signing.

Once he signed that contract he was fully guaranteed or guaranteed at signing a total $14.578M. The other "guarantees" in the deal he can be technically be cut before the guarantees kick in which hardly seem like guarantees at all to me.

Then explain the last season. Even when healthy Renfrow was nowhere.

I'm just going to put all my money on McDaniels only being good when BB is there to pull the strings.
Pretty sure anything I say won't matter.

No worries.

I just have a feeling if Carr is gone, maybe Adams asks for a trade. After all, he came to the Raiders to play with Carr.

No, it didn't. Adams is a lifelong Raider fan and wanted to be there regardless. Carr was just icing on the cake, but he's always wanted to play there. He talked about being jealous when they were both drafted and Carr got to go to (then) Oakland.
This article implies it’s probably the other way around and Carr was heavily involved in conversations to bring him in. Either way, he says it was a dream to play for the Raiders but it was also a dream to play with Carr in the NFL. Which dream wins out?

Last edited:
Jeudy for what ends up an OL. Enough solid skill positions coming back (if they stay healthy this year) and the thing Payton will start fixing right off the bat, is Wilson. Wouldn't be there if he didn't think he could do it. That obviously starts by patching up that porous line.

Bama 1st rounder Jeudy not only still has appeal to some teams out there, he's had some baggage Denver wouldn't mind off-loading, if the price is right.

Some have forgotten about Tim Patrick, along with his surprising leadership. He'll be back, which along with Sutton and emerging 2nd year TE Dulcich, they're better off fortifying that line, imo. And even more reason with Jevonte returning as well. Payton already stressed the need to run the ball better. Well, Jevonte, when healthy, was impressive. Wasn't he like 3rd in the NFL in yards after contact? And he was first in college if I recall, so that is no fluke, dude can run the ball.

The O-line will be addressed, as it should be.

So yeah, Jeudy for a mauler would be great, imo. He seems like their best candy to offer.

Last edited:

Where’s QB? I’m betting substantially higher.

🤷 it’s the top need. So yeah. Not sure of your point.

Jeudy for what ends up an OL. Enough solid skill positions coming back (if they stay healthy this year) and the thing Payton will start fixing right off the bat, is Wilson. Wouldn't be there if he didn't think he could do it. That obviously starts by patching up that porous line.

Bama 1st rounder Jeudy not only still has appeal to some teams out there, he's had some baggage Denver wouldn't mind off-loading, if the price is right.

Some have forgotten about Tim Patrick, along with his surprising leadership. He'll be back, which along with Sutton and emerging 2nd year TE Dulcich, they're better off fortifying that line, imo. And even more reason with Jevonte returning as well. Payton already stressed the need to run the ball better. Well, Jevonte, when healthy, was impressive. Wasn't he like 3rd in the NFL in yards after contact? And he was first in college if I recall, so that is no fluke, dude can run the ball.

The O-line will be addressed, as it should be.

So yeah, Jeudy for a mauler would be great, imo. He seems like their best candy to offer.
Agree on all counts.

I'd add that while he's got a different QB despite running a pretty pass happy offense with the Saints they did not invest a ton in WR while he was with them. Brandin Cooks at pick 20 is the highest they drafted a WR and they traded him after 3 years. Meachem at pick 27 all the way back from 2007 is only other first round WR. I believe Michael Thomas at pick 47 was the only second one WR. Don't recall anything close to a single big ticket or expensive FA WR signing.The first year Sean Payton leaves they spend pick 11 on a WR. Again a different QB and they did pay Michael Thomas when he reached FA but for all the passing in New Orleans he's a Parcells disciple and a strong OL and physical team are core to his his beliefs.

The Niners don't have to do much with Brandon Aiyuk who was drafted 1st RD in 2020, I expect them to exercise the 5th year option since they don't have to pay top dollar QB money right now although Lance is close to $10M next year or ATC, that's not nearly as cheap as Purdy.

Most of the 1st Rd WRs from the 2020 class outside of Ruggs(jail) and Reagor who might be looking for his 3rd team soon, most of them are likely to be extended or have the 5th year option pressed by their teams.

I think I mentioned this before, but did those big WR trades REALLY work out for those teams?
Adams to LV, terrible record and missed playoffs.
Tyreek to Miami. He did awesome but they missed the playoffs.
Allen Robinson. Was he traded?? Either way yuck.
AJ Brown worked out nice on that stacked team.

It's tough to pay big money AND big draft pick value for a WR.

Users who are viewing this thread