What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (2 Viewers)

Seven Final 4s notwithstanding, that was a horrifically bad (may be the worst in the history of the program) loss. 
I remember DVRing that game and leaving over lunch to go watch it.  Started getting a ton of WTF texts from friends. Turned the game on and MSU was immediately in a hole that they never got out of.  They never even had the lead that game.  That tourney was the complete opposite of the prior year when we got a gift with that team going all the way to the Final 4. 

Yes, that one was a rollercoaster.  Maryland started pressing after Kalin Lucas got hurt and MSU blew like a 20 point lead.  If Lucas doesn't get hurt that tournament I think MSU would have went all the way. 
Was it Lucas who hit that damned three to win it for MSU? Who was the player who ducked at the last minute as if God told him to so the pass could get through? I swear that pass changed direction.

Was it Lucas who hit that damned three to win it for MSU? Who was the player who ducked at the last minute as if God told him to so the pass could get through? I swear that pass changed direction.
Lucious hit the shot.  Ironically he was only in the game because MSU's best player, Kalin Lucas, blew out his Achilles earlier in the game and Lucious was the backup.  If Lucas didn't get injured I don't think that game would have been as close as it was since Lucas would have handled the press much better.  Delvon Roe is the one who ducked at the end - a heads up play :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucious hit the shot.  Ironically he was only in the game because MSU's best player, Kalin Lucas, blew out his Achilles earlier in the game and Lucas was the backup.  If Lucas didn't get injured I don't think that game would have been as close as it was since Lucas would have handled the press much better.  Delvon Roe is the one who ducked at the end - a heads up play :D
Delvon Roe. Delvin ####### Roe. If I ever become a Parole Officer and that kid gets in trouble, I will pull every string I know to monitor him. He will pay. Oh yes, precious - nasty Spartans will pay.

I'm over it, though.

Unlike Beer-bong Kenny Dennard cutting Buck Williams' legs out from underneath him in 1980 and ####### Maryland out of an ACC title. I will never get over that.

Delvon Roe. Delvin ####### Roe. If I ever become a Parole Officer and that kid gets in trouble, I will pull every string I know to monitor him. He will pay. Oh yes, precious - nasty Spartans will pay.

I'm over it, though.

Unlike Beer-bong Kenny Dennard cutting Buck Williams' legs out from underneath him in 1980 and ####### Maryland out of an ACC title. I will never get over that.
You'll find him in Hollywood.

Ricky probably got it over Painter because that Minny team made tremendous strides over last season.  Painter would have been well deserved as well IMO.

Wow -

Apparently there are like 60 mph winds in the D today. And the MI basketball team’s plane attempted to take off, that was aborted and the plane slid off the runway. Thankfully nobody hurt, but the plane took extensive damage.

Wow -

Apparently there are like 60 mph winds in the D today. And the MI basketball team’s plane attempted to take off, that was aborted and the plane slid off the runway. Thankfully nobody hurt, but the plane took extensive damage.
Its friggin nuts here.  Like sustained tropical-force winds all day.  Supposed to subside by 7 PM tonight.  Power outtages everywhere.

Down go the Buckeyes!

Embarrassing loss to Rutgers. Will be a tough one to get over.
The difference in effort/intensity was unreal.

What Pikiell has done in only a year at Rutgers is amazing. This team was horrendous at rebounding under Eddie Jordan. It used to infuriate me how often I'd see should-be defensive rebounds bounce on the floor. Now they're killing it on the offensive glass and the defensive effort is great. Can't wait for him to actually get some more talent in.

whoknew said:
Wow -

That's real scary stuff.  Glad everyone is ok.

Was anyone else aware that next year's B1G tourney will be played a week earlier than usual, creating a 10+ day layoff between the B1G tourney and the NCAA tourney?

Smart schools should call a couple of the good (i.e. non-RPI destroying) mid-major teams in conferences that also finish early and see if they want a game on the Friday in between.  I imagine Wichita St., Illinois St., Monmouth, etc. would jump at the chance.  If I was the B1G commish, I'd try to arrange a "B1G / mid-major challenge" event on that Friday in, say, Chicago, inviting as many of the early, expected to be good mid-majors as possible.  Play 4-5 games Thursday, 4-5 Friday, and even some on Saturday if you get enough takers.  Your tourney locks get a chance to boost their seed, and a chance to play a non-conference team for practice, while the bubble teams get one more shot to boost their resume.

Was anyone else aware that next year's B1G tourney will be played a week earlier than usual, creating a 10+ day layoff between the B1G tourney and the NCAA tourney?

Smart schools should call a couple of the good (i.e. non-RPI destroying) mid-major teams in conferences that also finish early and see if they want a game on the Friday in between.  I imagine Wichita St., Illinois St., Monmouth, etc. would jump at the chance.  If I was the B1G commish, I'd try to arrange a "B1G / mid-major challenge" event on that Friday in, say, Chicago, inviting as many of the early, expected to be good mid-majors as possible.  Play 4-5 games Thursday, 4-5 Friday, and even some on Saturday if you get enough takers.  Your tourney locks get a chance to boost their seed, and a chance to play a non-conference team for practice, while the bubble teams get one more shot to boost their resume.
I see NO UPSIDE for any B1G teams here. Might as well just get rid of the conference tournament if there are non NCAA tourney games after it is over.

...or to get knocked out of the dance completely

I see NO UPSIDE for any B1G teams here. Might as well just get rid of the conference tournament if there are non NCAA tourney games after it is over.
The upside is preventing a 10+ day layoff before the NCAA tourney, while still playing a team of similar quality that you'd be facing in the tourney.

Edit: besides the obvious upside of ticket and TV money.

One of the stupidest moves I've ever seen. Delaney is a freaking idiot for craving Madison Square Garden so much for the tourney to play it a week early. Just moronic!!!

The upside is preventing a 10+ day layoff before the NCAA tourney, while still playing a team of similar quality that you'd be facing in the tourney.

Edit: besides the obvious upside of ticket and TV money.
Or just have closed intersquad scrimmages. As a coach, I would  not want any more "help" from the conference.

For sake of argument...  pretend the early tourney was this year, and that the conference tourney went exactly according to seed.  Who benefits from the B1G/Mid-Major Challenge and who suffers?

Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern - All locks, so no chance of missing the tourney due to a loss to a good mid-major on a neutral floor.  Upside of facing a tourney quality team instead of long layoff.  Realistic outcomes: 1) Slight increase in seed line (with a win), 2) Slight decrease in seed line (with a loss), or 3) seed line unchanged and long layoff (don't play at all).  Personally, I think both 1 and 2 are better than the long layoff.

Michigan - Clearly on the right side of the bubble, so outcomes similar to the locks.  I suppose a very slim chance of getting knocked out with a 1st round loss in B1G tourney and a loss to a mid-major.

Michigan St. - Bubble team.  Could conceivably get knocked out with a 1st round loss in B1G tourney and a loss to a mid-major.  Beating a mid-major would also fix any damage done by a 1st round B1G loss.  If they get in, same outcomes as the locks.

Iowa, Illinois - Wrong side of the bubble, so only upside.

Rest - Not going to make it anyway, so just more ticket/TV money.

Overall, if we are starting from the point of "11 day layoff before the tourney is bad", I see a lot more upside than downside in such an event.  Only 2 teams would have any potential downside, IMO, while everyone else benefits.

So are they starting the Big 10 season earlier?  Cutting conference games or just packing in more games into a already tight schedule? I think pretty much everyone had 2 conference games this past week.

So are they starting the Big 10 season earlier?  Cutting conference games or just packing in more games into a already tight schedule? I think pretty much everyone had 2 conference games this past week.
Starting a week early. There was an article yesterday in Madison about how the B1G schedule is playing tricks on the Badgers non-conference scheduling. They could end up with like 4 games in one week in early December.

And that will do it for Illinois.  Michigan is now a lock.  Spartans probably need the one today.  Iowa probably needs two?
Would be nice to see MI get off the 8/9 line they are projected for the NCAA tournament. If they win that game, that means they play a 1 seed in the round of 32. Would be nice to get a 7 seed where, if they can win the first round, they would get a 2. A little better.

Would be nice to see MI get off the 8/9 line they are projected for the NCAA tournament. If they win that game, that means they play a 1 seed in the round of 32. Would be nice to get a 7 seed where, if they can win the first round, they would get a 2. A little better.
8-9 seed are the worst.  The #1's dominate them (66-7 vs. #9).  And it is a big difference playing a #2 percentage wise (#10 are 22-33 vs. #2).  I'd rather have a 10 or 11 or 12 seed.   

Wow -

We just had that wind in MN but it wasn't 60 mph sustained. It sucked. Two nights of terrible sleep. Last night, no wind and it was glorious. 

Glad nobody on the plane was seriously injured. 

And Iowa is done.  Can Indiana get an at-large?  If they beat Wisconsin and one of Maryland/Northwestern, maybe...  If they beat Wisconsin, they'll have to hope that either Northwestern or Maryland beats Rutgers, right?

If they beat 2 more tournament teams, that would be 20 wins and 2 (albeit very early) wins over likely #1 seeds.  I think it would definitely put them in the conversation, but it might depend on at-large bids not getting sucked up by smaller-conference upsets.  Agree that a Rutgers upset on Friday would hurt them - they NEED to beat 2 more good teams.

Rich Conway said:
And Iowa is done.  Can Indiana get an at-large?  If they beat Wisconsin and one of Maryland/Northwestern, maybe...  If they beat Wisconsin, they'll have to hope that either Northwestern or Maryland beats Rutgers, right?
IMHO, no.  They need to win the tourney.  Too many loses including several bad ones.

Users who are viewing this thread