What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest career decision of my life this week (2 Viewers)

are people really responding to this guys passive bragging thread ? He already knows what he is going to do this is a simply look at me im rich haha thread
Just because he does pretty well for himself doesn't mean there aren't still tough decisions in life.

I've been a career salaryman. What's the potential impact of the equity? Do you own a piece of the company? If so, how does cashing it in work?
Yeah, how can you cash it in? Is it only upon a change of control or liquidation event? Sounds like it's restricted.
It is. Either we got bought or IPO. 400K shares at 20 cents. Almost 1/2 percent of the company. Bought with promissory note so it would be capital gains. Could be worth a couple hundred K to north of $2M (when we dream of the crazy valuations out there). Private equity company is 2 years in and they normally like to flip in 3-5 years. My issue? for a software company we suck at building software. We keep selling but losing customers. I think our shine is off as an acquisition target, even with growth. Maybe I'm wrong though. Talking prepping for an IPO, but this is no sure thing. I keep asking myself - would I buy stock in our company? I'm struggling big time.
DId you used to work for MCK? When did you leave?

GL Smails.

on the home office/commute issue, don't make light of it. it's not as important as some of the other considerations, but you still have to think about how it will affect you, both on the job and in your home life. a couple years ago working for a consulting company, I spent 2.5-3 hours a day on the road after spending 20 minutes or less for many years. the worst part is that it wasn't that far, only from the west valley down to Wilshire & back. but it still took 1-1.5 hours each way. by the time I got home every day, I was so miserable that I didn't want to do anything. the SoCal traffic will beat you down.

if you commute an average of 2 hours a day, that's 1 month out of every year that you'll be on the road for work.

:2cents:
I hear you. I would be doing Thousand Oaks to Santa Monica via PCH.
that's not terrible....why pch rather than 101 to 405 or 27? Can you manage your schedule to either go in early and leave early or late and leave late?
Well, it wasn't terrible today. Went for a lunch meeting. 50 minutes going, 53 minutes coming back. But both weren't rush hour. PCH has construction through 4/2015 that won't be fun. I expect an offer within 2 days and a decision within a week. If I go this route, I'm going to negotiate coming into the office 2-3 days a week when I'm not traveling (more initially while training, becoming ingrained with the team, etc). I could live with a T-W-TH type gig with M and F working from home. I'll also check on flexibility of schedule to avoid rush hour. Me personally I HATE crawling up the 405. I know that would kill me.

GL Smails. on the home office/commute issue, don't make light of it. it's not as important as some of the other considerations, but you still have to think about how it will affect you, both on the job and in your home life. a couple years ago working for a consulting company, I spent 2.5-3 hours a day on the road after spending 20 minutes or less for many years. the worst part is that it wasn't that far, only from the west valley down to Wilshire & back. but it still took 1-1.5 hours each way. by the time I got home every day, I was so miserable that I didn't want to do anything. the SoCal traffic will beat you down. if you commute an average of 2 hours a day, that's 1 month out of every year that you'll be on the road for work. :2cents:
I hear you. I would be doing Thousand Oaks to Santa Monica via PCH.
that's not terrible....why pch rather than 101 to 405 or 27? Can you manage your schedule to either go in early and leave early or late and leave late?
Well, it wasn't terrible today. Went for a lunch meeting. 50 minutes going, 53 minutes coming back. But both weren't rush hour. PCH has construction through 4/2015 that won't be fun. I expect an offer within 2 days and a decision within a week. If I go this route, I'm going to negotiate coming into the office 2-3 days a week when I'm not traveling (more initially while training, becoming ingrained with the team, etc). I could live with a T-W-TH type gig with M and F working from home. I'll also check on flexibility of schedule to avoid rush hour. Me personally I HATE crawling up the 405. I know that would kill me.
Look into if they have/can get a network telephone for your home office. My wife has one, and it makes her easily accessible to clients and staff. Some don't realize they are talking to her at home, since they dial her office number.

I'll tell a funny story when this is over. Let's just say you better triple check before hitting reply all. Fortunately it wasn't from me.

guys, i can either make love to Scarlett Johansson or Kate Upton, this is the biggest decision of my life, please help me pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordang- smails is good people. Please keep that junk out of this discussion, which is clearly 100% real.

guys, i can either make love to Scarlett Johansson or Kate Upton, this is the biggest decision of my life, please help me pick.
Duh ScarJo. If you followed this forum at all you'd realize that Upton is a :porked:

Now stop douching up Smail's thread. Let's go with the pretense that this thread is a 100% lookatme thread (which I'm 100% sure it's not). Just by sharing the most amazing chili recipe ever conceived by mankind, Smail's gets our 100% undivided attention and respect. :tebow:

Now go search for the recipe and make it. If nothing else it will make you feel much better (at least for a little while anyway).

Good luck on this! Based on what you have said in here, I think you take the new position and don't look back.

I'm 52 and only have so many prime earning years left. Critical decision as I don't have time to make up for wrong moves.

Considering walking away from a ton of equity with my current job for one that is recruiting me with a lot higher base (maybe $100K more), a lot higher (2+X) W2 but much lesser equity.

Have to make the decision by next weekend. I can hardly sleep. More due diligence the next several days. Lots of other factors. I can't F this up.
A buddy of mind made the same decision, he left a company had been with for 17 years making 250,000.00 a year, he went to new company for a 25,000.00 a year raise, after 28 days the new boss did not like him and fired him. He found a new job and makes 50,000.00 a year. Hey, life is more exciting when you take risks, you can always work your way back to the top

Big bottom raised good point earlier, I think you need to push for a contract. You are taking huge risk leaving a stable environment at your level without one. You are correct in that at your level that may not be the norm, but they are also not unheard of and if they really want you then push for it.

I'm 52 and only have so many prime earning years left. Critical decision as I don't have time to make up for wrong moves.

Considering walking away from a ton of equity with my current job for one that is recruiting me with a lot higher base (maybe $100K more), a lot higher (2+X) W2 but much lesser equity.

Have to make the decision by next weekend. I can hardly sleep. More due diligence the next several days. Lots of other factors. I can't F this up.
A buddy of mind made the same decision, he left a company had been with for 17 years making 250,000.00 a year, he went to new company for a 25,000.00 a year raise, after 28 days the new boss did not like him and fired him. He found a new job and makes 50,000.00 a year. Hey, life is more exciting when you take risks, you can always work your way back to the top
He left after 17 years for a 10% increase?

yeah this sounds like pure bs

Numbers really don't add up here (leaving for 10% or only being able to land a job at 20% or original salary). I think it's strange that you also include the cents for every amount :lmao:

For the Judge, I'm risk averse so I usually lean status quo unless it's a slam dunk. The thing that gives me pause about your current situation is the declining product. It sounds like you have good sales people who are outpacing the dissatisfied customers leaving, but that will eventually dry up. The equity you have may become worthless. The new position sounds more stable, but you are giving up the high ceiling with the equity (which you could make up with a couple of good years at the new place unless it explodes and hits the $2M you referenced). Unfortunately you are unlikely to get a true feel for the culture of the new place, with the known added detriment of increased commute (quality of life is much more important to me at almost 41 than it used to be).

Really a tough decision but I'm sure you'll land on your feet either way. Forced to make a call, I'd go with the new place primarily due to the declining product of your current place.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the insight. This is no look at me thread. I know what it's like to make a great move, and have also done the same due diligence and made a move only to have a pit in my stomach within a week knowing I made a horrible move. I'm trying to get all of the facts on the table and make a good decision so I don't repeat the latter.

Decision will spill over until next week. Suitor said they never have given equity to a new employee, but CEO is approving and they will get back to me with what they can do (confident it won't be near what I have now at least on paper). Also got their initial offer and was told there is an opportunity to "tweak it". They will go higher. They also asked for references which I'm sending. Meanwhile, I'm flying to current company tomorrow. Board prep, dinner at CEO's house, etc. Gonna be a wild couple of days.

oof

bad beat

It's exactly the fear of something like this that keeps my rear firmly planted in my seat at work, despite the wanderlust and curiosity and interest in seeing what else is out there and what more there could be for me. The above would really suck.

Whether it's true or not, sales guys love to complain about engineering when they can't/don't hit their quota. I vote for going to the new company, before the current one decides a new VP is needed to put together a team to hit reach their numbers, even if there are deeper issues.

In my experience, most startups talk about IPOs to prep for acquisition, not to really go public.
Problem here sounds like the company has kept it's top sales guys and let there 'A' team programmers leave. If so its a cancer that is hard to fix, and is commonly due to bean counters at the top that are watching sales numbers only... Common cancer today and usually pretty terminal... GL JS in your decision!

Edit: my spelling sux ;)

Whether it's true or not, sales guys love to complain about engineering when they can't/don't hit their quota. I vote for going to the new company, before the current one decides a new VP is needed to put together a team to hit reach their numbers, even if there are deeper issues.

In my experience, most startups talk about IPOs to prep for acquisition, not to really go public.
Problem here sounds like the company has kept it's top sales guys and let there 'A' team programmers leave. If so its a cancer that is hard to fix, and is commonly due to bean counters at the top that are watching sales numbers only... Common cancer today and usually pretty terminal... GL JS in your decision!Edit: my spelling sux ;)
Sure, blame the accountants for your crappy programming. Get off your butt and develop something profitable, chief.

Week 2 with the new company. So far, so good. Tough call with the CEO when I resigned, but everyone was very cool. Paid me all outstanding commissions. As expected they say they are exercising right to buy back stock but haven't done so yet. I was in Boston last week and after dinner walked to the North End to get a cannoli from Mike's Pastries. My former CEO started a great text exchange. "Smails, it's been great working with you. I wish you all the best. You deserve a payday. I know we will work together again", etc. Chairman of the Board called during my exit interview and had a similar conversation. "consider me a mentor, call anytime", etc. This is a guy who sold a company for a billion.

I'm energized after the move. Excited about the new opp. People are smart, friendly. There are some warts with implementations, etc as with most software companies. I came in expecting to find warts knowing the grass isn't always greener. It's early days, but plusses far outweigh the minuses so far.

Bottom line - I felt stale, jaded and past the point of no return with a job, and had leverage I never had before in my career so used it. I think it was the best move for me. That being said, I spent a lot of time thinking about the exit and wanting to leave with class, not burning a single bridge. I know they would take me back in a second if this gig went south. I got to send a company-wide departure email and thanked everyone for a great run. Lots of great wishes via personal email and LinkedIn.

Thanks to my FBG brethren for their advice. Greatly appreciated.

Week 2 with the new company. So far, so good. Tough call with the CEO when I resigned, but everyone was very cool. Paid me all outstanding commissions. As expected they say they are exercising right to buy back stock but haven't done so yet. I was in Boston last week and after dinner walked to the North End to get a cannoli from Mike's Pastries. My former CEO started a great text exchange. "Smails, it's been great working with you. I wish you all the best. You deserve a payday. I know we will work together again", etc. Chairman of the Board called during my exit interview and had a similar conversation. "consider me a mentor, call anytime", etc. This is a guy who sold a company for a billion.

I'm energized after the move. Excited about the new opp. People are smart, friendly. There are some warts with implementations, etc as with most software companies. I came in expecting to find warts knowing the grass isn't always greener. It's early days, but plusses far outweigh the minuses so far.

Bottom line - I felt stale, jaded and past the point of no return with a job, and had leverage I never had before in my career so used it. I think it was the best move for me. That being said, I spent a lot of time thinking about the exit and wanting to leave with class, not burning a single bridge. I know they would take me back in a second if this gig went south. I got to send a company-wide departure email and thanked everyone for a great run. Lots of great wishes via personal email and LinkedIn.

Cool. Glad to hear the transition to the new job is going well.

Great update, GL JS.

I'll tell a funny story when this is over. Let's just say you better triple check before hitting reply all. Fortunately it wasn't from me.
This story should be good. Also, you mentioned that the new company had never given equity before but the CEO approved. Did you end up scoring anything on that front?

Users who are viewing this thread