What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black Monday...or the Monday after the end of the NFL regular season (1 Viewer)

Kingsbury gone. Not a surprise.
This stat from Schefter is amazing: In their 100-year history, Cardinals have never had a coach last more than six seasons

Been waiting ten years longer than Lions fans for an NFL Championship

At least they’ve been to the Super Bowl; the short list of teams that have never gone includes the two newest franchises (Houston and Jax) plus another that we’re supposed to pretend never went (Browns/Ravens). Cleveland and Detroit the only old school teams who never went and one of those is an expansion team and the other never gets it right.

I think that’s gonna change.

Mike Tomlin would be unemployed for approximately one second.
Probably, but I feel him and Steelers might at least agree to a separation. I know we hear about Rooneys, but the younger Rooneys are taking more involvement in the team and the decisions and they really have no honor in Tomlin.
Your takes on coaches are weird (see also Vrabel). The Steelers haven’t fired a coach since the 60s. And they’re not firing one whose team performed way better in the second half of the season than in the first.

And being paid through 2027. Nice work if you can get it.
And an absolute smoke show of a girlfriend
No Link? :frown:
Googled it. Worth it. I'm sure he'll be Cabo with her before the weeks out. It's good to be the Kingsbury.
Yeah. Cabo with a beautiful woman and a ton of financial resources. Worse things for sure

Really can't wait to hear why Smith was fired. Team continued to play hard and the roster was terrible, Although I still don't understand losing the 1st pick.
Cause he lost the #1pick??
I think the causation may be the other way there. He knew they were ####canning him so he said, "Eff it, I'm going out with a win."
Seems a lot of people missed that it was already reported over the weekend he was getting fired, was definitely a **** you job yesterday. There were even jokes about it in the game thread.

Probably, but I feel him and Steelers might at least agree to a separation. I know we hear about Rooneys, but the younger Rooneys are taking more involvement in the team and the decisions and they really have no honor in Tomlin.
Your takes on coaches are weird (see also Vrabel). The Steelers haven’t fired a coach since the 60s. And they’re not firing one whose team performed way better in the second half of the season than in the first.
Like I said, it's dark horse.. The old Rooney family has very little to do with the team, Dan's kids and grandkids are more involved. People with no loyalty to Tomlin. They are a proud franchise and have not won a Playoff game since 2016.

I get the 9-8 this year and rookie QB, but you forget Tomlin's stubborn ways of not starting Pickett from Day 1, after he was the best QB in camp and PS may have cost them the playoff.

Really can't wait to hear why Smith was fired. Team continued to play hard and the roster was terrible, Although I still don't understand losing the 1st pick.
I think the causation may be the other way there. He knew they were ####canning him so he said, "Eff it, I'm going out with a win."
Seems a lot of people missed that it was already reported over the weekend he was getting fired, was definitely a **** you job yesterday. There were even jokes about it in the game thread.
Also, hard to out-tank a team whose players are actively stripping the ball from their own teammates

Also, hard to out-tank a team whose players are actively stripping the ball from their own teammates
Game was like that episode of South Park where the kids on both teams are trying their best to lose at Little League so they can finally enjoy their summer.

Draft order and QB POV
1. Chicago-Have their QB maybe, not hearing a change of coaching, why not? Worst record in the NFL
2. Houston-Likely to draft a QB, depends on the next Head Coach
3. Arizona-Kyler Murray likely to miss a chunk of '23, just had surgery and was worse than just a clean ACL tear from what i was reading. New Coach?
4. Indianapolis-No QB and an owner that can be very involved and disruptive at times. Who is taking this Head Coaching vacancy?
5. Seattle-Make the Playoffs and have 2 first round picks to play with. Franchise QB? Time to trade up?
6. Detroit-Fans there seem to think no go on QB right now
7. Las Vegas-QB thirsty right now assuming Carr is gone. Keeping McDaniels?
8. Atlanta-How can they be sold on Ridder? Yes they would grab a QB if they could
9. Carolina-QB thirsty and always wanting to wheel n deal, who is the next head coach and what is the plan?
10. Philadelphia-Amazing they will have a gift 1st round pick. They're good at QB for the foreseeable future.

Just posting this to show the attractiveness of potential coaching vacancies.
Also trying to gauge how many QBs could go in the Top 5-10, looks like half of them or more could be in play.
I would draft a QB if I were Arizona and get Murray ready to ship after he rehabs in '23, maybe trade him Mid-Season, doesn't matter the cap hit if they decide to re-draft and start over. If I were interviewing I would want to know how married they are with Murray despite the contract.

Last edited:
IMO LaFleur is on the hot seat now. Either LaFleur or Rogers or both will be gone next season.

IMO McCarthy's playoff run could decide his fate.

Belichick, Harbaugh, and Tomlin I could see moving on but I think the owners are too afraid to let these guys go.

Zero chance Tomlin gets fired lol
Yeah, Like I said Dark Horse, but he could just move on.. to me and probably a lot of people he has ran his course in Pittsburgh.. I just don't know if the team will get back to the top with him as coach.

He has made some bad moves over the last few seasons in terms of in game coaching, hiring, clock management.

IMO LaFleur is on the hot seat now. Either LaFleur or Rogers or both will be gone next season.

IMO McCarthy's playoff run could decide his fate.

Belichick, Harbaugh, and Tomlin I could see moving on but I think the owners are too afraid to let these guys go.
these are not the droids you are looking for

How has promoting an Asst Coach that was already on staff, how has that worked out this season?

Todd Bowles:: NFC South Champs but many want him fired as soon as Brady retires or leaves.
Dennis Allen: Not so good
Lovie Smith: Fired!

I'm sure I am overlooking a few and maybe there is a good story about someone working out but it seems like a bad recipe to promote from within or believe the right guy is in the building but being held back by the Head Coach or whoever/whatever.

I'm not sure Bowles can keep his job past Brady
If Tampa Bay wins at home vs Dallas, that might be enough for him to come back next season
I don't know a lot of Bucs fans that want Bowles as the HC
I'm not sure he can either. If Brady leaves/retires after this season. The Bucs are in rebuilding mode. They are currently the oldest team in the league and only the Saints are in a worse cap position going into the off season. If they dont beat the Cowboys and make a run at the NFC championship then the Glazers dump most if not all of the coaching staff. Unless they dump just Bowles and give Arians the job again. But I dont think he's going to want that either.

They are my team but I can see another 5-10 years of struggling on the horizon if Licht and the Glazers dont manage the team properly this off season.

Like I said, it's dark horse.
So why bring it up other than to call attention to yourself?

The NFL needs to have a lottery system for the draft. Maybe bottom 5 teams with a 35, 30, 20, 10, 5 percent chance of getting the #1 pick.

Why would anyone want that? Although the "if it ain't broke but can make us more money, 'fix it' (double meaning)" NFL might certainly go for it.

The NFL needs to have a lottery system for the draft. Maybe bottom 5 teams with a 35, 30, 20, 10, 5 percent chance of getting the #1 pick.

Why would anyone want that? Although the "if it ain't broke but can make us more money, 'fix it' (double meaning)" NFL might certainly go for it.
Seriously, the only thing downtrodden fans of crappy teams have is draft talk. Nothing worse than thinking that you at least have the #1 pick but some 8-9 team gets the lucky ping pong ball.

Every year there's a surprise firing/retirement. Who will it be this year?

McVay almost doesn't count because everyone expects him to leave.

Rivera? Vrabel? LaFleur? McCarthy? Saleh? JMcDaniels? I don't expect any of them, but I can definitely imagine a situation where it happens to one of them and we're like, "Yeah, seems obvious in retrospect."

Every year there's a surprise firing/retirement. Who will it be this year?

Rivera? Vrabel? LaFleur? McCarthy? Saleh? JMcDaniels? I don't expect any of them, but I can definitely imagine a situation where it happens to one of them and we're like, "Yeah, seems obvious in retrospect."
Staley, especially if they lose this weekend after what he pulled yesterday.

I'm not sure Bowles can keep his job past Brady
If Tampa Bay wins at home vs Dallas, that might be enough for him to come back next season
I don't know a lot of Bucs fans that want Bowles as the HC
I'm not sure he can either. If Brady leaves/retires after this season. The Bucs are in rebuilding mode. They are currently the oldest team in the league and only the Saints are in a worse cap position going into the off season. If they dont beat the Cowboys and make a run at the NFC championship then the Glazers dump most if not all of the coaching staff. Unless they dump just Bowles and give Arians the job again. But I dont think he's going to want that either.

They are my team but I can see another 5-10 years of struggling on the horizon if Licht and the Glazers dont manage the team properly this off season.
The Bucs are good at renting veteran QBs and making runs
Brad Johnson was a journeyman
Tom Brady was an old man
They will find someone to try and repeat this again
Bucs don't really develop QBs, of course they try and draft the right guys but it doesn't work out.
David Carr should be on their short list but I imagine most Bucs don't want him until they rebuild the rest of the roster
Interesting off season for sure

It's been rumored for weeks (pretty much since Kupp was shut down) that McVay was likely done.

Bill Belichick announced today he's coming back next year.

I agree McCarthy could be gone if Dallas is one and done in Tampa, especially if Jerry thinks he can get Payton.

Rivera should be gone, he is terrible. But the pending sale of the WFT will save him his job, and he'll most likely see if Jimmy G or Carr can save it for him going forward once the sale goes final.

Everyone? The first anyone mentioned it was on Sunday, right?

I like McVay, but if he quits he's a quitter.
The Rams mortgaged the future for the present in 2021 and it paid off. McVay got the ring and I wouldn't blame him for walking now. Why suffer for ownership's deal? Leaving now would be having his cake and eating it too

The Rams mortgaged the future for the present in 2021 and it paid off. McVay got the ring and I wouldn't blame him for walking now. Why suffer for ownership's deal? Leaving now would be having his cake and eating it too

To me it would be admitting he's not that great of a coach.

I guess that could inspire fewer... or more teams to tank.

I phrased that wrong. I don’t know if he will leave, but if he does it won’t be a surprise because there’s been speculation going back to last year’s Super Bowl.

Also, I suspect if he does leave it will be about burnout. He’ll take a year to recharge and then pick his spot

A lot of blame on the Texans, but how about the Colts DEF for letting it happen? I mean how many big plays/leads did they blow since Saturday took over? And not just the Minnesota game.
Saturday stinks as a HC, his team loses.
Smith's team stinks, he still keeps them playing over their heads, they win.
Smith gets fired.

And being paid through 2027. Nice work if you can get it.
And an absolute smoke show of a girlfriend
No Link? :frown:
Googled it. Worth it. I'm sure he'll be Cabo with her before the weeks out.et It's good to be the Kingsbury.

Had to take a look also. She's ok if you can get past the one boob being bigger than the other....
In serious news though, team brass stated Kyler will be consulted during this next coaching search. Practices will be scripted through madden.

I phrased that wrong. I don’t know if he will leave, but if he does it won’t be a surprise because there’s been speculation going back to last year’s Super Bowl.

Also, I suspect if he does leave it will be about burnout. He’ll take a year to recharge and then pick his spot

I guess I never heard about it until the other day. That obviously doesn't mean it wasn't out there.

Burnout? How long has he been head coach, 6 years?

A lot of blame on the Texans, but how about the Colts DEF for letting it happen? I mean how many big plays/leads did they blow since Saturday took over? And not just the Minnesota game.
Smith gets fired.

Talk about the ultimate “I can’t do anything right” feeling.

Lose all year while trying to win and then win when you most certainly should be trying to lose.

I’d have fired him too.

I like Sean McVay but I am getting tired of him pseudo-retiring every off season
He's not even 35 years old, enough already
Move on to a cushy booth job as the new Jon Gruden

Last edited:
Smith gets fired.

Talk about the ultimate “I can’t do anything right” feeling.

Lose all year while trying to win and then win when you most certainly should be trying to lose.

I’d have fired him too.
Seems like from several accounts that Lovie indeed knew he was gone after the last game. Probably was his parting gift to go all out against an equally bad team.

2nd year in a row they fired a black HC after one year. Meanwhile, how many years did Bill O'Brien get?

I mean....facts
Not to defend BOB, but in his six full seasons as HC in Houston, the Texans won the division 4 times and he had an overall winning record while he was there.

Once he become the GM in addition to being the HC is when things fell apart.

None of this is sating Lovie deserved to be fired. The Texans played beyond their talent level in 2022. Lovie deserved another season.

It showed egregious in-game management. At least do some type of play that is a 8 yard out or something and don't convert the 4th down. Instead they convert on 4th and 20. They did the Colts a favor by ensuring they won't get a franchise altering QB or numerous valuable picks for their 1.1
mission accomplished
tank for QB complete

When he was hired, people said he'd be short term; that he would be a coming force and keep order despite any Watson junk that comes up. He did that and did that well.
I don't recall anyone expecting success or a long term job.
My surprise is he wasn't "promoted" to an advisor position. Maybe he gets that spot in a few months. He's excellent for intangible reasons and wisdom.
They need to get a name, a change the world take us to the moon guy.
I don't think one is available (other than Payton) unless they want to dip into college and have that weird positivity and question mark at the same time.
New GMs always bring their guy at coach

Users who are viewing this thread