What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Jack White said:
Acquired him in a trade this week. Starting him over FitzMagic this week because of the risk Fitz gets hit on his left hand and he has to leave the game again.

He gets BAL in Week 10 and his playoff schedule looks juicy right now.

Finally, JAC allows 30 points per game, which tends to dictate a lot of pass attempts.
Sound logic. My only problem is that the Jets are so banged up right now that I'm not sure they are capable of putting up a lot of points, so I'm not sure Jax will be forced into the air as much. Trying to decide if I want to start Hurns this week.
Possibly, but nevertheless I don't think they'll be able to get much of a running game going.

But I love Yeldon beginning in Week 11.

If I knew Fitz would be able to play the whole game, I'd start him. I picked up a few weeks ago specifically for this game. I just can't risk another early exit.

I've been battling it, but I like Winston vs the Giants over Bortles this week. I think the Jets play angry after last week, and keep the game low scoring.

I've been battling it, but I like Winston vs the Giants over Bortles this week. I think the Jets play angry after last week, and keep the game low scoring.
Jameis does have a nice matchup on paper this week. I like Bortles more ROS.

Plus, I don't really buy into the "play angry" angle. Bortles will have to throw plenty. I think 225-2 and 20 yards rushing is a reasonable expectation.

Plus, I don't really buy into the "play angry" angle. Bortles will have to throw plenty. I think 225-2 and 20 yards rushing is a reasonable expectation.
Agreed RoS. But after seeing how Bortles played against the Bills, I can't trust him against the Jets.

Agreed RoS. But after seeing how Bortles played against the Bills, I can't trust him against the Jets.
He probably would have had higher numbers were it not for 3 TDs from the Jags D and Yeldon (his only rushing TD this year).

But yeah, it's a challenging matchup, for sure.

He probably would have had higher numbers were it not for 3 TDs from the Jags D and Yeldon (his only rushing TD this year).

But yeah, it's a challenging matchup, for sure.
Good point. Ugh now I'm rethinking. My opponent has Evans, which makes it harder.

Acquired Bortles to play over Russell Wilson's bye.

Oh wait, let me clarify.

ACQUIRED BORTLES TO PLAY OVER RUSSELL WILSON. :yes:

I'm so giddy over the thought of an actual 20 point game occasionally that I can't contain myself.

TZM

Today however, I'm sitting him in favor of Jay Cutler and Ryan Tannehill. I just think this is too important of a home stand for the Jets and they are going to lock it down pretty well. I can almost see one of those offensive eraser type of games where nobody on the Jags can get it going. I might regret it as Buffalo has the same chance to do this to Tannehill at home but it's a crap shoot.

Oh wait, let me clarify.

I'm so giddy over the thought of an actual 20 point game occasionally that I can't contain myself.

TZM
I've been starting Bortles ever since Big Ben went down and haven't been disappointed yet. Bortles is definitely is one of the sleepers this year.

Of course, he's now relegated to my bench with Big Ben back, but could come off at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh wait, let me clarify.

TZM
I picked up FitzMagic on waivers a couple weeks ago for Russell's bye. Then I started Fitz over Russell last week because OAK gives up 250-2 to every team.

Then I was afraid Fitz wouldn't play (or would get banged on that hand and leave early again) and I'd have to spend FAAB on Cutler or Jameis.

Ultimately, when the Bortles owner said he wanted Vernon Davis for him, I decided I couldn't pass up that offer.

I can't believe FBG has him ranked 17th in dynasty behind Mariota, Bridgewater, Winston, Tannehill, and Carr. Jeff Tef has Osweiler ranked ahead of Bortles!!!!

Halfway through the season, here is what Blake Bortles is on pace for:

4400 Passing Yards

350 Rushing Yards

34 Touchdowns

20 Interceptions

The INT's jump out, but he's always going to throw them. It's just in his nature to push. As a Jaguars fan, if you told me before the season that this would be his pace, I'd have called you crazy. The difference from last year to now is definitely noticeable. And this is despite being under almost always constant pressure.

He is still raw as hell and prone to make multiple mistakes per game, but the is growth there.

Keep slinging it Blake.

Mr. Brownstone said:

4400 Passing Yards

350 Rushing Yards

34 Touchdowns

20 Interceptions

The INT's jump out, but he's always going to throw them. It's just in his nature to push. As a Jaguars fan, if you told me before the season that this would be his pace, I'd have called you crazy. The difference from last year to now is definitely noticeable. And this is despite being under almost always constant pressure.

He is still raw as hell and prone to make multiple mistakes per game, but the is growth there.

Keep slinging it Blake.
It's partly the improvement of BB and partly just the nature of the league. Take these numbers with salt, 2/3 the QBs in the league are putting up numbers that would have made them MVP contenders 15 years ago.

Mr. Brownstone said:

4400 Passing Yards

350 Rushing Yards

34 Touchdowns

20 Interceptions

Keep slinging it Blake.
It's partly the improvement of BB and partly just the nature of the league. Take these numbers with salt, 2/3 the QBs in the league are putting up numbers that would have made them MVP contenders 15 years ago.
I'll take nothing with a grain of salt. I'm a Jaguars fan.

Mr. Brownstone said:

4400 Passing Yards

350 Rushing Yards

34 Touchdowns

20 Interceptions

Keep slinging it Blake.
Tell that to Kaepernick, Bradford, or Stafford. Bortles is putting up the numbers to go along with his natural abilities, the reason the Jags took him in the first place with such a high pick when people thought they were crazy. He's more Rivers than Cutler, more Favre than Alex Smith.

I like Winston, Carr, and Bortles of the QBs that are in their 3rd year or less. I think all of them have top five fantasy upside and all should be good IRL players also. That ability to make a play while playing the most important position in sports (maybe hockey goalie hasn't argument but QB has more variables in-game) is what separates them. Bortles of all of them has the most physical ability, so he is my favorite to be the best of the bunch. Mariota interests me also, but I need to see more like I did today.

Only Stafford, Marino, and Manning have thrown for that many touchdowns at such a young age. We might be watching the birth of a true fantasy asset here.

Bortle Kombat!

I've acquired Blake to add to my dynamic Winston and Stafford duo. Hoping to roll each of them out individually in their matchups with the Saints in weeks 14, 15, and 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe FBG has him ranked 17th in dynasty behind Mariota, Bridgewater, Winston, Tannehill, and Carr. Jeff Tef has Osweiler ranked ahead of Bortles!!!!
Shifting gears slightly from dynasty, Fantasy Index (Ian Allen) has Bortles as #5 in re-draft.

"The remaining schedule looks very favorable for the passing game: Ravens, Chargers, Colts, Falcons, Saints, Texans and Titans twice"

As I alluded to earlier in this thread.... I was lucky enough to trade for this guy and he is starting firmly in place of Russell Wilson.

After seeing an actual two-touchdown game this weekend, I am on the verge of just cutting Wilson.

I was beginning to think a 2 TD performance game by a QB was the stuff of myths and legends.

This guy Bortles is a slinger, and he has a couple of solid WRs to boot.

The defense is subpar as always, and in those factors we have the recipe for fantasy success~!

Not sure about the rest of you guys, but not only am I a fan of Bortles now but I'm actually hoping the Jags defense sucks for years to come. :yes:

TZM

Making the move this week to get him on board for his late season schedule. Hate to drop Tyrod but I own A-Rob so a stack makes sense.

Making the move this week to get him on board for his late season schedule. Hate to drop Tyrod but I own A-Rob so a stack makes sense.
Not only that....................... but Tyrod has an absolutely brutal schedule from here on out.

Meanwhile, Bortles is relatively friendly.

Check out Tyrod/Bills schedule, its terrible.

I own LeSean McCoy in one league, and I'm worried.

TZM

Not only that....................... but Tyrod has an absolutely brutal schedule from here on out.

Meanwhile, Bortles is relatively friendly.

Check out Tyrod/Bills schedule, its terrible.

I own LeSean McCoy in one league, and I'm worried.

TZM
Hey, don't take this the wrong way TZM, I really enjoy your posts and appreciate what you bring.

But I was just curious...how many years have you been playing FF?

I own Bortles & Taylor (I have forgotten if this is plan E or plan F for my QBs this year.) On paper, you are 100% correct. Brutal Bills schedule. Super attractive Jags schedule. One the reasons why I made a move for ARob today.

But, you know, funny things happen in the Not For Long. The Packers looks like they're gonna go 15-1 with Rodgers throwing 42 TDs and 2 INTs. Until he puts up the worst six consecutive quarters of his entire career. Or the Broncos D is the reincarnation of the '85 Bears. Until the 3-5 Colts, with a QB playing like he's Blaine "the turnover machine" Gabbert, throw up 27 with no TOs and hand them a loss.

Buffalo is going to have a lot to play for. Out of this next 6 (5 on the road), 3 are pretty winnable. Thursday night is HUGE, for both teams. If things go the way I think they will, they'll be beating up on the Cowboys Week 16 at home for the opportunity to have a win at home & you're in the playoffs for the first time in like 16-17 years, or lose to the Jets and stay home. I have a sneaky feeling this team ends that drought.

I like Jax. Great young talent. Hate the coach, he's a turd, but man, you can see with the right people in place they'll be in the playoffs in a year or two. Tons of talent, no clue how to close out games. Bortles and his über talented corps have a lot to play for; players don't think like fans, they compete. They want to be winning games now, because that #### carries over to the next year. HOWEVER, easy games when you're not playing to survive....those things don't always go as planned. That's why good teams lose to inferior teams (hell-o, Falcons.)

The Bills are hungry. Jax would like to be in that position in a year or two. Right now you have a HC clinging to his job by his fingernails. He ain't the guy who's going to lead them to the playoffs. Those young guys want to compete and prove they belong & they're pretty good. But - just my MHO - they don't really understand hunger yet. They don't know how to close out games they should win, and they sure as hell don't know how to steal games they should have lost. They might one day. But I suspect we're going to start seeing a lot of frustration in mid to late December. I could be way off base.

Anyway, that's a real long winded and meandering way of saying I don't put TOO MUCH stock in SOS. I sure do look at it, and I take it into consideration when I'm building the FF team for the stretch run. Want guys who will be putting up big #s weeks 14, 15 & 16. But in the Not For Long, things change fast. What makes sense on November 10 is going to seem pretty silly on December 27.

Hey, don't take this the wrong way TZM, I really enjoy your posts and appreciate what you bring.

But I was just curious...how many years have you been playing FF?

I own Bortles & Taylor (I have forgotten if this is plan E or plan F for my QBs this year.) On paper, you are 100% correct. Brutal Bills schedule. Super attractive Jags schedule. One the reasons why I made a move for ARob today.

But, you know, funny things happen in the Not For Long. The Packers looks like they're gonna go 15-1 with Rodgers throwing 42 TDs and 2 INTs. Until he puts up the worst six consecutive quarters of his entire career. Or the Broncos D is the reincarnation of the '85 Bears. Until the 3-5 Colts, with a QB playing like he's Blaine "the turnover machine" Gabbert, throw up 27 with no TOs and hand them a loss.

Buffalo is going to have a lot to play for. Out of this next 6 (5 on the road), 3 are pretty winnable. Thursday night is HUGE, for both teams. If things go the way I think they will, they'll be beating up on the Cowboys Week 16 at home for the opportunity to have a win at home & you're in the playoffs for the first time in like 16-17 years, or lose to the Jets and stay home. I have a sneaky feeling this team ends that drought.

The Bills are hungry. Jax would like to be in that position in a year or two. Right now you have a HC clinging to his job by his fingernails. He ain't the guy who's going to lead them to the playoffs. Those young guys want to compete and prove they belong & they're pretty good. But - just my MHO - they don't really understand hunger yet. They don't know how to close out games they should win, and they sure as hell don't know how to steal games they should have lost. They might one day. But I suspect we're going to start seeing a lot of frustration in mid to late December. I could be way off base.

Anyway, that's a real long winded and meandering way of saying I don't put TOO MUCH stock in SOS. I sure do look at it, and I take it into consideration when I'm building the FF team for the stretch run. Want guys who will be putting up big #s weeks 14, 15 & 16. But in the Not For Long, things change fast. What makes sense on November 10 is going to seem pretty silly on December 27.
I have been playing FF for 8 or 9 years. (and I've watched it for 40 years on and off, God I'm old)

Not as long as most here, but long enough.

Likewise, I enjoy your posts when I come across them.

But also look back at what I wrote and think, not just read it on the surface. (note- I am not being condescending, bear with me) :thumbup:

I wrote "I am scared as an owner of LeSean McCoy". I think we all should be that own him, for a variety of reasons. Karlos Williams is a big one, and the stout defenses they face is another.

Perhaps I should have expanded and said "I like Tyrod a little better as opposed to LeSean McCoy, but still not that much due to SOS". (I am sometimes criticized for being too long in my posts, but at least when I state an opinion I try and back it up, unlike a few people on this board who just sling posts lol)

Also look at what Tyrod did just this past week. He put up an "excellent real football game", but not a good "fantasy football game".

Meaning- Tyrod didn't have to chuck it much to win, he can be an excellent game manager.

The one thing we can say about Bortles, is that is one thing HE ISN'T at least thus far, right?

His defense is bad, so he will be throwing it a lot in most matchups, and thats not necessarily the case with Tyrod, as we have seen so far this year, and even last weekend.

As far as SOS, the one thing I learned in FF is to pay attention. I don't wager my whole season on it, but in the case of this example, I easily count in strength of schedule ALONG WITH Taylor being a more proficient NFL QB. So its more of those two things combined.

I try and take everything into consideration if you want me to be honest.

Even the fact that Rex Ryan is more of a ground and pound kind of guy, and in close situations when I see all these indicators, I try and go the "bigger upside" route, and to me thats Bortles.

I much more often look at things through "fantasy football colored glasses", and not the "real NFL glasses".

Full disclosure - I don't have a favorite team, nor do I care about who wins or loses.

I tend to like certain players, and how my fantasy team performs . It doesn't matter to me how the Bills end up for the season, and if they win or lose. Only how it affects me and my fantasy team.

Is that narrow minded and selfish???? Perhaps, but I play FF to win, and as I noted in another thread yesterday, I will start anyone, doesn't matter if its Adrian Peterson, or Joique Bell, I have no qualms.

Now that aside- I think we all can agree that Tyrod is the better "NFL" QB at this point. I guess a very simple way of me putting this is that "I don't think Tyrod will HAVE to have big fantasy numbers, while I think Bortles will have to have fair ones, just to keep in games", if that makes sense.

Don't take it as a disagreement with you Bobby, its really not.

I know full well what we know now, may be totally different in weeks 15-16.

But I can only act on what I see now, and can try and predict whats going to happen in later weeks.

I only have Bortles in one league. I certainly don't think he is a great QB, I just think he will be better in fantasy, than Tyrod Taylor when the time comes. He most likely won't be as solid in "real life" as Tyrod has been thusfar (which admittedly has been a complete surprise for me, the guy should have been starting somewhere, instead of bouncing from bench to bench) but I think Bortles has some decent upside in fantasy, and a good schedule to boot.

Well, the way I roll............what will likely happen is I am now high on Bortles, so he will probably carry me into the playoffs on that particular team, then get hurt in the first playoff game and cost me a championship run. :D

Slick move getting Allen Robinson btw. I was huge on him everywhere, and was lucky enough to get him as my 3rd WR in 2 of 4 start 3WR leagues.

Dude is currently the #6 WR in fantasy. :pickle:

TZM

I traded for Bortles last week and made a godfather offer for ARob this week (denied, unfortunately).

But it's because they are good fantasy assets with good situations and schedules.

The "stack" has nothing to do with it. There are no bonus points in my league for stacking teammates.

Dropped Eli for Bortles. Bortles was let go last week in ,y league by a Rothlisberger owner, and then I beat him in FAAB to reclaim him. I've said earlier in this thread, his rookie year, I felt he was the best qb in that class and I still think so. I was hoping to get through one more week without grabbing him but I had to do it now. His playoff schedule is awesome

Hurns & Robinson are the first WR duo with at least 600 yards & 6 TDs each through 8 games since 2007.

Last accomplished by Moss & Welker.

From ProFootballFocus:
"Jacksonville Jaguars
For the 2014 season, Blake Bortles was the lowest-graded player on the Jags offense (-35.7). Through nine weeks of the 2015 season, Blake Bortles is the highest-graded player on the Jags offense (+9.8).

Bortles has been especially impressive throwing the deep ball as he ranks as the No. 4 passer in PFF’s deep passing accuracy statistic. Finally, Jags fan can be optimistic that they have found a legitimate franchise QB."

Users who are viewing this thread