What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blind Bidding Strategy (1 Viewer)

toxic

Footballguy
Wanted to start a little discussion of the strategies folks use in blind bidding. How do you manage your money? Overpay for the players you covet early in the season? Let others bid big and save up for the mid-season surprise injury replacement? Hoard so you get just about whomever you want near the playoffs?

In the past few years, I have noticed a few things and I'm curious if others have had the same experience:

1. It seems (I have not run the analysis to confirm this) that most of the impact players available on waivers during the season announce themselves rather early. After the first few weeks, we have a pretty good indication of who is going to produce. After that point, most waivers are for players replacing an injured player and minor additions for bye weeks, etc. Injured player replacements have the potential to be huge, but it seems that the fill-ins for studs often do not perform even remotely as well as the studs and that these huge value replacements are more infrequent than I expect them to be.

2. Leagues develop an implicit understanding of what a "big bid" is early on. If the largest first week bids are all under 10% of the cap, 15-20% of the cap becomes sufficient to get just about any player the rest of the year. However, if a few folks bid more in week one (say 25%) for marginal additions (e.g. Toomer or McDonald this year), then suddenly 30% becomes the target level for must-have additions. If you have played with the same set of players previously, this is critical information to have. The odd implication of this is that if you aggressively overbid in week 1, it can actually drive up the prices on players in subsequent weeks that you may have less interest in.

3. Bidding creep throughout the season. Each week, it seems that bids go up. I would guess this is partially due players trying to outspend previous market levels and partially due to some players finding themselves with too much money toward the end of the season. It is not uncommon to see players have 90-100% of their budget still available 8-9 weeks into the season. Suddenly, they're dropping 10% on a waiver defense that is playing Oakland that week simply because the budget has no value after the year ends, so why save it.

These factors have all led me to think that overspending on a player you really like early on is actually a sound strategy. You won't be able to get a superstar waiver midseason (the type of player that will require a huge bid at or near 100%), but often those players never appear. Thoughts?

P.S. Of course, every once in a while, we nail our drafts and have no need for waivers. It's happened to me a few times, but not nearly as often as I'd like.

Wanted to start a little discussion of the strategies folks use in blind bidding. How do you manage your money? Overpay for the players you covet early in the season? Let others bid big and save up for the mid-season surprise injury replacement? Hoard so you get just about whomever you want near the playoffs?In the past few years, I have noticed a few things and I'm curious if others have had the same experience:1. It seems (I have not run the analysis to confirm this) that most of the impact players available on waivers during the season announce themselves rather early. After the first few weeks, we have a pretty good indication of who is going to produce. After that point, most waivers are for players replacing an injured player and minor additions for bye weeks, etc. Injured player replacements have the potential to be huge, but it seems that the fill-ins for studs often do not perform even remotely as well as the studs and that these huge value replacements are more infrequent than I expect them to be.2. Leagues develop an implicit understanding of what a "big bid" is early on. If the largest first week bids are all under 10% of the cap, 15-20% of the cap becomes sufficient to get just about any player the rest of the year. However, if a few folks bid more in week one (say 25%) for marginal additions (e.g. Toomer or McDonald this year), then suddenly 30% becomes the target level for must-have additions. If you have played with the same set of players previously, this is critical information to have. The odd implication of this is that if you aggressively overbid in week 1, it can actually drive up the prices on players in subsequent weeks that you may have less interest in.3. Bidding creep throughout the season. Each week, it seems that bids go up. I would guess this is partially due players trying to outspend previous market levels and partially due to some players finding themselves with too much money toward the end of the season. It is not uncommon to see players have 90-100% of their budget still available 8-9 weeks into the season. Suddenly, they're dropping 10% on a waiver defense that is playing Oakland that week simply because the budget has no value after the year ends, so why save it.These factors have all led me to think that overspending on a player you really like early on is actually a sound strategy. You won't be able to get a superstar waiver midseason (the type of player that will require a huge bid at or near 100%), but often those players never appear. Thoughts?P.S. Of course, every once in a while, we nail our drafts and have no need for waivers. It's happened to me a few times, but not nearly as often as I'd like.
We just started doing this but we added a max bid of 10% of the cap. I am not sure what to expect. But unless a surefire started is on WW I will not be betting 10% of cap.

One thing we do is roll $$ from previous seasons over into our budget, to a $400 cap. There are also small $$ post-season incentive bonuses earned. The cap really helps invoke some strategy regarding one's particular blind bidding tendencies. We also have 14 player roster spots, with 8 starters, so $$ management and knowing when to "hold 'em" and "fold them" is of the essence.

it also depends if FCFS cost BB $$; which is the way I play... in another words, if you have no more BB $$, then you can't make anytype of FA pick up for the rest of the season... so it pays to have $$ left at the end of the yr. This prevents "SMART" owners from blowing their load in the 1st month of the season.

it also depends if FCFS cost BB $$; which is the way I play... in another words, if you have no more BB $$, then you can't make anytype of FA pick up for the rest of the season... so it pays to have $$ left at the end of the yr. This prevents "SMART" owners from blowing their load in the 1st month of the season.
yep. our FCFS cost $10 each...

I would tend to think "blowing your load" would not have to many ill effects. I mean haven't we seen many of the sleepers come forth in the first couple weeks? I wouldn't think that there would be much high profile players left around week 6

RBs that have the potential to start for more than a couple games, such as Derrick Ward, are worth way more than 10% of your cap. Depending on the situation, I would bid up to 50% of the cap for a player like this even though it's only week 2. However, it usually seems like a bad idea to overbid for the flavor of the week free agent WR. The only time that ever worked for me was a few years back with Mushin Muhammed and Michael Clayton (his rookie year). Those two won me a championship and I bid more than 10% of the cap for each player early on.

Simple ..spend a lot early, but save enough for fillers & injury pickups late.

All the players worth having will be gone early, no need for big money late.

Factors -

1. Future value of player (esp. for dynasty)

2. Your OWN need at position (esp. if he provides a handcuff/hedge)

3. Supply of said position in the market

4. Historical bidding on like players within your league

5. Time of the season

I've seen ppl throw 60% of cap on a QB, who threw 4 INTs the next week, and I've seen some slightly large ones pay off.

I agree with what was said here:

"Simple ..spend a lot early, but save enough for fillers & injury pickups late.

All the players worth having will be gone early, no need for big money late."

RARELY.. RARELY do WRs emerge after the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the season. So they are paramount earlier... a la Colston, Boldin. You'll be able to throw a $1 or $2 later on as everyone else is settled in, ifyou get thin at WR, and/or looking for depth or a lotto ticket... on some upstart with potential.... a 2nd year guy whom you research on targets and the like.

RBs are the biggie... the stud goes down, and the backup is the next "LJ", "Mike Anderson", "Olandis Gary" etc opportunity. How many happen a year, not that many. Najeh Davenport is an example if FWP goes down.

QBs... rarely does a big value just show up... Romo was the first in a long time. Brady even took a couple weeks for ppl to believe in (I picked him up that week.. thank you much).

It's always better if you have the wasted roster spot... to be where the puck is going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody out there worth a big bid this week? I didnt think so. The highest bid in my league was for Ward ($40 on a $200 cap). I have enough good RBs that I didnt think it was worth it to blow 25% of my cap for a RB who would start for only 3-5 weeks. Although now Im thinking I couldve bid $50 and used him for trade bait. Im hoping somebody emerges next week. The only other player I was interested in was Burleson but didnt feel like bidding a ton on him. Thinking this may have been a mistake since I really need a WR.

I blew 53% of my cap on Ward Just to block others from getting him. I have a deep roster so I'm probably not going to pick anyone up this year and who knows, I might be able to use him for a spot start if the match up is right.

In a league I am in, FCFS waivers cost $0 and the minimum bid for all waivers is $0, so you could spend the entire $100 on a player you really thought you needed in week 1. You could still bid $0 on any player or FCFS all season long for $0.

I bid 70% on Ward, but lost him to another owner who bid 100%. I knew it would take 100% in this league, but I just couldn't justify it given the fact that WArd isn't out for the year, Eli is out now, and Droughns will get some of those carries.

I did pick up Toomer for 5%, which I thought was good value, although he too lost some value with the Eli injury. But he has looked good in preseason and in the first week.

Users who are viewing this thread