What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BMI Poll (1 Viewer)

What is your calculated BMI?

• <18.5

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 18.5-24.9

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • 25-29.9

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • 30-34.9

Votes: 28 18.3%
  • 35-39.9

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • >40

Votes: 11 7.2%

• Total voters
I'm 5'10", 176 lbs, 32" waist, and 12.3% bodyfat. My BMI is 25.3, which puts me in the overweight category. I'm not big-boned (whatever that means) and have to buy slimcut jeans and tailored shirts, and often have to buy clothes in the boys section. Seems to me the BMI calculator is BS.

BMI is worthless
Yes, because the average American is built like an NFL middle linebacker. Totally worthless.
Or wide receiver, since I'm pretty sure most of them are "overweight," too.
Pretty much every player including Kickers and Punters is going to be at least overweight using BMI scale.
Yep. And I for one am tired of how most Americans look like they just stepped out of an NFL locker room. When I take my kids to the pool during the summer, all I see are middle-aged people walking around with chiseled muscles and six-pack abs. Clearly flabby people are the statistical outliers here.

As in other threads where this has come up. If you can squat three plates then throw your BMI out. Otherwise put down the ####### fork.

BMI is worthless
Yes, because the average American is built like an NFL middle linebacker. Totally worthless.
And the calculator linked even acknowledges its limitations:

Although BMI can be used for most men and women, it does have some limits:

• It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
  • It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle.

BMI is worthless
Or wide receiver, since I'm pretty sure most of them are "overweight," too.
Pretty much every player including Kickers and Punters is going to be at least overweight using BMI scale.
Yep. And I for one am tired of how most Americans look like they just stepped out of an NFL locker room. When I take my kids to the pool during the summer, all I see are middle-aged people walking around with chiseled muscles and six-pack abs. Clearly flabby people are the statistical outliers here.
These are good points, but perhaps instead of crapping on BMI, people would be better off doing what one of the posters here did and giving their dimensions.

As a quick measurement, hip-to-waist ratios and the obesity calculators that come from those measurements do a better job of figuring out your health than BMI does.

As for the bolded, it is a football board, so naturally a lot of bigger men are going to be commenting, some of whom may just be statistical outliers.

I'm 5' 10". After my divorce diet I was down to 155 with a 30" waist. BMI puts that as "normal", but it's NOT a good weight for me.

6'3" should be 175 pounds to be middle of normal. That's not going to work for me. I'm sure BMI works for lots.

If your a fatty you should probably know it without the little online calculator.

I think the number of chins a person has is a better indicator than BMI.

One chin = normal

Two chins = overweight

Three chins = Obese

A mongo chin that melds into your neck and over your shirt = morbidly obese

I call for a movement to replace BMI with CNI (chin number indicator)

I think the number of chins a person has is a better indicator than BMI.

One chin = normal

Two chins = overweight

Three chins = Obese

A mongo chin that melds into your neck and over your shirt = morbidly obese

I call for a movement to replace BMI with CNI (chin number indicator)
Lots of obese people in China? :confused:

My number came in at 27.7

To be fair to bmi, another site said that a 6'1 person should be between 140 - 189. Now that's a pretty wide range but I'd say that a typical non-lifting, male 6'1 should be less than 189.

I give :towelwave: to bmi calcs for normal folks.

As in other threads where this has come up. If you can squat three plates then throw your BMI out. Otherwise put down the ####### fork.
Like, plates with food on them? Sounds delicious.

says I'm 27 and overweight. I know how much I should weigh- and I know I'm overweight, so I guess it's right on the money for me.

says I'm 27 and overweight. I know how much I should weigh- and I know I'm overweight, so I guess it's right on the money for me.
lol... I just plugged in my weight from when I was doing triathlons (Ironman on down), training 6 days a week putting in thousands of miles running, swimming, biking... I was apparently overweight then too.

El Floppo said:
El Floppo said:
culdeus said:

lol... I just plugged in my weight from when I was doing triathlons (Ironman on down), training 6 days a week putting in thousands of miles running, swimming, biking... I was apparently overweight then too.
I'm on the higher side of normal, but same idea.

(HULK) said:
If you bench your weight, BMI will call you a fatty.
:no: not always.

There should be a calculator where you input Weight, height, and resting heart rate. That would give you a better indication of health.

There should be a calculator where you input Weight, height, and resting heart rate. That would give you a better indication of health.
Yes, I'd be interested in knowing the resting heart rates of the muscular posters in this thread.

Thinking about it, though, low resting heart rate can be a measure of good cardiovascular health. There can be varying opinions on how large a component cardiovascular health should be in overall health.

Last edited by a moderator:
solid anecdotal evidence in here. you have me convinced that it is useless
it's a tool. one that you can use without seeing a doctor. But in the end, the only benefit is it gives you a baseline for your height.

It even states that the calculator isn't perfect for athletic types.

I just think resting heart rate is a more useful tool.

44 y.o. 5'10, 190 lbs, 43" chest, 33" waist, can run 3 miles, do ~10 pull ups, ~50 push ups, ~75 situps, resting heart rate is below 60.

BMI says I'm overweight and "halfway" to obese.

it's a tool. one that you can use without seeing a doctor. But in the end, the only benefit is it gives you a baseline for your height.

resting heart rate? You serious clark?

resting heart rate? You serious clark?
Absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread