What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BMI Poll (1 Viewer)

What is your calculated BMI?

• <18.5

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 18.5-24.9

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • 25-29.9

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • 30-34.9

Votes: 28 18.3%
  • 35-39.9

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • >40

Votes: 11 7.2%

• Total voters
44 y.o. 5'10, 190 lbs, 43" chest, 33" waist, can run 3 miles, do ~10 pull ups, ~50 push ups, ~75 situps, resting heart rate is below 60.

BMI says I'm overweight and "halfway" to obese.
/thread
what percent of males, who are 5'10" and weigh 190 pounds, are out of shape and overweight? 80%? 90%?
dunno. I'm 6' and 200... most definitely out of shape and overweight.

But during my previously mentioned fit days- super-fit days- I was 185 and still 6'... and still overweight according to that BMI thingee.

solid anecdotal evidence in here. you have me convinced that it is useless
it's a tool. one that you can use without seeing a doctor. But in the end, the only benefit is it gives you a baseline for your height.

It even states that the calculator isn't perfect for athletic types.

I just think resting heart rate is a more useful tool.
resting heart rate? You serious clark?
Absolutely.
Are you saying generally speaking? I've ALWAYS had a high resting HR - even when I weighed 120-130 and just out of HS and played sports year round. I don't pay as much attention to it nowadays but I assume it's still high by comparison to other people my age/weight, etc.

HR is measured by clinicians at nearly every visit but it doesn't really represent a major risk factor for disease as does BMI. Although extremes in HR are definitely more immediately concerning than extremes in BMI...

HR is measured by clinicians at nearly every visit but it doesn't really represent a major risk factor for disease as does BMI. Although extremes in HR are definitely more immediately concerning than extremes in BMI...
I didn't mean to separate them, they're tools that can and should be used together.

it's a tool. one that you can use without seeing a doctor. But in the end, the only benefit is it gives you a baseline for your height.

Absolutely.
Are you saying generally speaking? I've ALWAYS had a high resting HR - even when I weighed 120-130 and just out of HS and played sports year round. I don't pay as much attention to it nowadays but I assume it's still high by comparison to other people my age/weight, etc.
of course these are general statements. Curious as to what yours was and is.

I'd be concerned if my rHR were over 100, while between 60-80 is fine.

This isn't an area where extreme low scores win (although the last time I measured mine it was 41).

I didn't mean to separate them, they're tools that can and should be used together.
As a surrogate measure for body fat, I like BMI + waist:hip or waist:height ratios. Central fat has the highest disease correlation anyways.I'm not sure how HR would be incorporated.

Absolutely.

This isn't an area where extreme low scores win (although the last time I measured mine it was 41).
Normally in 70's. My buddy who I used to run with some was a track athlete at Duke. His was like low 40's from what I remember.

Body fat %, not bmi.
Well yes. There are plenty of better measurements to take. But BMI is an easy, quick and dirty measurement that is sufficient for a huge percentage of the population. Nobody has stated that it is perfect.

AAABatteries said:

Absolutely.

Normally in 70's. My buddy who I used to run with some was a track athlete at Duke. His was like low 40's from what I remember.
It's within the normal healthy range, no biggie.

I'm not sure how HR would be incorporated.
Not too difficult or complex to simply check your rHR when you wake up. If you're overweight with a high rHR, you probably need to add cardio after seeing a doctor.

If you're underweight or normal weight with a high rHR, same thing.

This isn't meant to be a complex equation like BMI2 X rHR or anything like that (although perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I could develop that)

Body fat %, not bmi.
Well yes. There are plenty of better measurements to take. But BMI is an easy, quick and dirty measurement that is sufficient for a huge percentage of the population. Nobody has stated that it is perfect.
Yeah it needs to be something that can be done as part of your typical 12-15 min visit with a PCP. And most practitioners would definitely take the whole picture into account (ie they aren't going to be recommending Bariatric surgery to the "obese" nfl running back). However, I think that our average high BMI fbg is closer in physique to Fred Flintstone than Fred Jackson...

With 150 votes in, we have enough data to calculate an ***OFFICIAL*** FBG obesity rate of 33.33%. Compare this to the US national average of ~35%. All the expertise shared in the miscellaneous diet and exercise threads here have paid off!

Users who are viewing this thread