What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boldin a 49er (1 Viewer)

Steed

Footballguy
@RavensInsider: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a sixth-round pick

Temporary deflation of Crabtree stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
They'd rather have a 6th rounder than pay Boldin an extra $2 million (had a $6MM hit, they wanted him to take $4MM). Pretty unbelievable. Great move for the Niners.

Was wondering what the Niners were going to do to address the WR position, clearly needing a quality option across from Crabtree. He'll also be a big help in the running game.

Bump up for Kaep.

Leads me to believe Boldin almost assuredly would've been cut tomorrow AM had a trade not been consummated to get any sort of compensation.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Anquan Boldin needs to pass physical before trade with 49ers becomes complete; he's in Africa on mission. Physical, trade completion await.

Ozzie Newsome has forgotten more than I'll ever know about football, but it seems like he picked the wrong hill to die on in this Boldin situation. $6 million for one year of Boldin is going to look like a bargain after we see the all of contracts handed out to free agent WRs.

@MoveTheSticks: I used to trade football cards with my brother. The Harbaugh bros just took that to the next level #AnquanBoldin

Lol

A little surprised also that they couldn't get more for him. I'm sure the brothers were the ones on the phone with each other about this deal

@JeffDarlington: "Dear Jim, Sorry I beat you in the Super Bowl. Here's Anquan Boldin for practically nothing. Your bro, John."

@JeffDarlington: "Dear Jim, Sorry I beat you in the Super Bowl. Here's Anquan Boldin for practically nothing. Your bro, John."
49ers have a boatload of early picks and their late 6th would never see the light of day anyway.Ravens would have cut Boldin anyway -- and got nothing -- since he refused the pay cut they asked him to take.Win - Win.I hope John and Jim called Dad to clear it with him first though.

Gotta figure the Ravens have a free agent in mind to replace him. Take a run at Welker maybe? Jennings?
Doubtful either one of them. Boldin was already going to be a cap casualty and neither Welker/Jennings are going to be making less.Boldin's replacement will be cheap option (or draft pick). Imagine you'll see Pitta taking on a much larger role.

It does seem cheap, but while Boldin was total money in the playoffs, his diminishing skills have been pretty apparent in the regular season.

Gotta figure the Ravens have a free agent in mind to replace him. Take a run at Welker maybe? Jennings?
He's gonna cost more than Boldin and has been injured the last 2 seasons. Hard to believe they did Anquan dirty like that, he was such a big part of their playoff run. Cutthroat business

As a Ravens fan, definitely sad to see Boldin go. He was immense in the playoffs. But he will be 33 in October and was not worth $7.5M

Their pro scouting operation (which includes self-scouting) is the best in the NFL. So they knew better than anyone what Boldin is/is not capable of at this point. When's the last time in a decade you saw a player leave the Ravens and then play better than when he was in Baltimore? People were jumping off bridges last year when Jarrett Johnson and Ben Grubbs left town and that worked out o.k.

It will be interesting to see what the Ravens do next, because you can be sure they didn't make this move without a contingency plan in place.

Also, please understand - Flacco's new deal did not cause this move! Flacco's cap number in 2013 is lower than it was in 2012. It begins to go up in 2014, but Boldin would be gone then either way because he's in the last year of his contract. If Flacco had played 2013 under the franchise tag, his 2013 cap number would be DOUBLE what it is with his new deal.

REPEAT: This is a Ravens organizational decision, not a cap move caused by Flacco's contract, which is lower this year than it was last year.

Also, the Vikings were offering a 7th rounder for Boldin. So it's not like teams around the NFL were falling over themselves for Bolding.

This is a shocking trade. The Ravens just gave away an effective, hard-nosed receiver to the team that took them down to the wire in the Super Bowl. For a sixth-round pick! Don't you think San Francisco would have really liked to have Boldin running a slant route on that goal-line stand? Dropping Moss and adding Boldin is a huge upgrade for SF.

It's almost funny sometimes how these things play out. Like you have to wonder if Flacco wishes he'd kept his mouth shut after encouraging Boldin not to take the cut. Perhaps not, I'd hope probably not since the consequence of that were obvious, but I have to wonder.Or then there was this bit from Boldin:Boldin's view of contracts in 2013 when asked to take a pay cut:

"At no point, no matter how well I played, would I come back to the table and say, 'I need more money.' The contract that I signed was the contract that I intended to play out," [boldin] told USA Today.
Boldin's view of contracts in 2009 when he was playing well:
Arizona Cardinals' wide receiver Anquan Boldin and his agent Drew Rosenhaus want to tear up his $22.75 million contract (now in its 2nd year and legally valid through 2010) and renegotiate.

It's almost funny sometimes how these things play out. Like you have to wonder if Flacco wishes he'd kept his mouth shut after encouraging Boldin not to take the cut. Perhaps not, I'd hope probably not since the consequence of that were obvious, but I have to wonder.Or then there was this bit from Boldin:Boldin's view of contracts in 2013 when asked to take a pay cut:

"At no point, no matter how well I played, would I come back to the table and say, 'I need more money.' The contract that I signed was the contract that I intended to play out," [boldin] told USA Today.
Arizona Cardinals' wide receiver Anquan Boldin and his agent Drew Rosenhaus want to tear up his $22.75 million contract (now in its 2nd year and legally valid through 2010) and renegotiate.
Funny how that is.

Or then there was this bit from Boldin:Boldin's view of contracts in 2013 when asked to take a pay cut:

:lmao:Comical as a Cards fan.

From a talent acquisition I think it's a great deal for the 49ers, but I'm not sure about the money they have to pay him in 2013. Seems like they could have gotten younger at the position with a similar skillset for less.

Users who are viewing this thread