What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady vs. Montana - who is greater all-time? (1 Viewer)

Who is the greater all-time QB?

• Brady

Votes: 99 39.3%
  • Montana

Votes: 153 60.7%

• Total voters
Montana's ugly multiple one and dones during his peak years, as well as his lackluster KC swansong, leads me to give the very slight edge to Brady,

They are one two, I could see flip flopping them. Brady's defenses were mainly responsible for losing those 2 Super Bowls, not Brady.

Brady just complete the largest comeback in SB history, by playing the greatest 4th quarter in SB history.
I don't know that I'd say this. His 2 losses in SB he led the team to 14 and 17 pts. Both well below season averages ( and playoff averages, also ).

The defense gave up 17 & 21, which was right on their season averages. Aside from the timing of miraculous ( Tyree ) and excellent ( Manningham ) plays against the D, giving up the lead late in each game, the defense played well in both games.

If blame had to be assigned ( I prefer to give credit rather than assign blame ), I'd say it was the offensive line that was the most to blame for the SB defeats. In retrospect, though, I'd just say that the Giant's front 4 won them that game, in the big picture, especially in 2007. To hold that offense to 14 was a monumental effort, and that group was primarily responsible.

Montana's ugly multiple one and dones during his peak years, as well as his lackluster KC swansong, leads me to give the very slight edge to Brady,

They are one two, I could see flip flopping them. Brady's defenses were mainly responsible for losing those 2 Super Bowls, not Brady.

Brady just complete the largest comeback in SB history, by playing the greatest 4th quarter in SB history.
I don't know that I'd say this. His 2 losses in SB he led the team to 14 and 17 pts. Both well below season averages ( and playoff averages, also ).

The defense gave up 17 & 21, which was right on their season averages. Aside from the timing of miraculous ( Tyree ) and excellent ( Manningham ) plays against the D, giving up the lead late in each game, the defense played well in both games.

If blame had to be assigned ( I prefer to give credit rather than assign blame ), I'd say it was the offensive line that was the most to blame for the SB defeats. In retrospect, though, I'd just say that the Giant's front 4 won them that game, in the big picture, especially in 2007. To hold that offense to 14 was a monumental effort, and that group was primarily responsible.
IIRC, NE held the lead after 59 minutes in both SB losses. Yes, the offense scored fewer points, but he put the Patriots in position to win if the defense got a final stop (which they didn't).

Accoring to the win probability calculations, NE was 94.6% likely to win after scoring with 2 minutes to go in the first game against the Giants. In the rematch, they were 89.1% likely to win with 5 minutes to go.

But as debated and discussed in countless threads, pinning the outcome of the games on the QB is a slippery slope as there are plenty of other players and coaches involved in each game.

How can anyone say Montana is better. Montana threw the ball to Jerry Rice and had Roger Craig as his HB. Brady threw the ball to.....well....Randy Moss for a season I guess. But surely he has had RB's that are better than Craig...well....uhhh....no? OK. Imagine if Brady had the luxury of having the best WR in NFL history to throw to and then imagine if Montana had the crap that Brady had. This isn't even close.

IIRC, NE held the lead after 59 minutes in both SB losses. Yes, the offense scored fewer points, but he put the Patriots in position to win if the defense got a final stop (which they didn't).

Accoring to the win probability calculations, NE was 94.6% likely to win after scoring with 2 minutes to go in the first game against the Giants. In the rematch, they were 89.1% likely to win with 5 minutes to go.

But as debated and discussed in countless threads, pinning the outcome of the games on the QB is a slippery slope as there are plenty of other players and coaches involved in each game.
I understand. I'm just looking at a more holistic picture than the final drive. I'm not a huge fan of the QB W-L argument.

A couple things (apologies if mentioned in earlier responses) that would sway me towards Montana (other than being a 49er fan)

-The level of competition in the NFC in the 80's was crazy, so getting to the Super Bowl was a tougher path at that time than it was for Brady. The NFC won 8 of 10 Super Bowls in the 80s (plus the first 7 of the 90s). Washington, NYG, Chicago. 85 Bears are considered one of the greatest teams ever and the 86 Giants were almost as good defensively. Making it to the Super Bowl was a tough run.

-QBs could be hit during that period. Montana took shots from Jim Burt in the 86 playoffs and from Marshall in the 1990 NFC championship game that would probably get them arrested under the Goodell regime. This just goes to a previous post that mentioned games missed.

Both were/are great, but edge to Montana

A couple things (apologies if mentioned in earlier responses) that would sway me towards Montana (other than being a 49er fan)

-The level of competition in the NFC in the 80's was crazy, so getting to the Super Bowl was a tougher path at that time than it was for Brady. The NFC won 8 of 10 Super Bowls in the 80s (plus the first 7 of the 90s). Washington, NYG, Chicago. 85 Bears are considered one of the greatest teams ever and the 86 Giants were almost as good defensively. Making it to the Super Bowl was a tough run.

-QBs could be hit during that period. Montana took shots from Jim Burt in the 86 playoffs and from Marshall in the 1990 NFC championship game that would probably get them arrested under the Goodell regime. This just goes to a previous post that mentioned games missed.

first point has been extensively debunked a couple times already, 2nd is a fair point that's been mentioned several times already

One of the stats that makes no sense, is penalizing Brady for going 4-2 in SB's versus 4-0. To reach the SB 2 more times than Montana is a big deal. That's reaching the SB 6 times in a 15 year career so far... Brady is actually under-rated and time will only increase his legend and standing as the greatest.

Yeah, luckily Brady has never been hit;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaE31VgXjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtLfwgiYJtc

Is anyone who is saying Brady is the GOAT over 30? I definitely think that actually seeing Montana play vs. analyzing his stats makes a huge difference in how you view him. Montana could just pick apart a defense with great precision. Brady has done that also, but having seen both, I put Montana slightly ahead. Brady gets tremendous credit for doing what he did with less weapons than Montana. I think, though, if Montana had less weapons, he would have had success similar to what Brady had. Both are great QB's.

You can't seriously say that QBs get hit like they did in the 80s? Seriously?

You can't seriously say that QBs get hit like they did in the 80s? Seriously?
No, I didn't say that at all. But those hits on Brady were every bit as vicious as the 2 mentioned on Montana. Toughness is one area where Brady doesn't get enough credit.

How can anyone say Montana is better. Montana threw the ball to Jerry Rice and had Roger Craig as his HB. Brady threw the ball to.....well....Randy Moss for a season I guess. But surely he has had RB's that are better than Craig...well....uhhh....no? OK. Imagine if Brady had the luxury of having the best WR in NFL history to throw to and then imagine if Montana had the crap that Brady had. This isn't even close.
If you want the answer to the bolded, you should consider reading the thread.

Is anyone who is saying Brady is the GOAT over 30? I definitely think that actually seeing Montana play vs. analyzing his stats makes a huge difference in how you view him. Montana could just pick apart a defense with great precision. Brady has done that also, but having seen both, I put Montana slightly ahead. Brady gets tremendous credit for doing what he did with less weapons than Montana. I think, though, if Montana had less weapons, he would have had success similar to what Brady had. Both are great QB's.
so, your case for montana is based entirely on your imagination and memories from 30 years ago.

this is basically what it boils down to for montana, all the montana advocates fell in love with these great dynasty teams of the 80s when they were, like, 10, and thought their parents were 8 foot tall rockstars.

if jesus walked on as udfa next year he'd be a pile of puke next to montana.

montana was an excellent qb in the single best spot in the history of football --- he is the dictionary definition of being at the right place at the right time

If the best teams of the 80's were more dominant than the best teams of the Brady era you'd expect that to be reflected in the records of the team and their margin of victory. So I decided to spend a few minutes to find out if that was true.

The best teams in Montana's SF prime 1981-1990 by record were:
SF 0.740
WAS 0.664
MIA 0.648
CHI 0.632
NYG 0.595
DEN 0.595
OAK 0.592
CIN 0.553

By avg Pt differential
SF 8.92
WAS 4.29
MIA 4.18
CHI 4.12
NYG 2.99
CIN 2.61
DEN 1.99
OAK 1.72

Best teams in Brady era 2001-2014 Win %
NWE 0.759
IND 0.670
PIT 0.650
GNB 0.636
PHI 0.600
BAL 0.589
DEN 0.589
SDG 0.563

By avg Pt differential
NWE 9.07
GNB 5.28
PIT 4.82
PHI 3.88
IND 3.81
SDG 3.69
BAL 3.42
DEN 2.28

overall records
AFC 2001-14 1818 - 1763 -3
NFC 1981-90 1057 -1061 -10

I don't see any big advantage in Win% or pt differential for the "old time" teams. There's arguments for Montana but the idea that he faced vastly better opponents isn't one of them.

If the best teams of the 80's were more dominant than the best teams of the Brady era you'd expect that to be reflected in the records of the team and their margin of victory. So I decided to spend a few minutes to find out if that was true.

The best teams in Montana's SF prime 1981-1990 by record were:
SF 0.740
WAS 0.664
MIA 0.648
CHI 0.632
NYG 0.595
DEN 0.595
OAK 0.592
CIN 0.553

By avg Pt differential
SF 8.92
WAS 4.29
MIA 4.18
CHI 4.12
NYG 2.99
CIN 2.61
DEN 1.99
OAK 1.72

Best teams in Brady era 2001-2014 Win %
NWE 0.759
IND 0.670
PIT 0.650
GNB 0.636
PHI 0.600
BAL 0.589
DEN 0.589
SDG 0.563

By avg Pt differential
NWE 9.07
GNB 5.28
PIT 4.82
PHI 3.88
IND 3.81
SDG 3.69
BAL 3.42
DEN 2.28

overall records
AFC 2001-14 1818 - 1763 -3
NFC 1981-90 1057 -1061 -10

I don't see any big advantage in Win% or pt differential for the "old time" teams. There's arguments for Montana but the idea that he faced vastly better opponents isn't one of them.
that's very interesting -- thx for doing that

One of the stats that makes no sense, is penalizing Brady for going 4-2 in SB's versus 4-0. To reach the SB 2 more times than Montana is a big deal. That's reaching the SB 6 times in a 15 year career so far... Brady is actually under-rated and time will only increase his legend and standing as the greatest.
If you're not first, you're last

Corey Dillon says hi

so, your case for montana is based entirely on your imagination and memories from 30 years ago.

this is basically what it boils down to for montana, all the montana advocates fell in love with these great dynasty teams of the 80s when they were, like, 10, and thought their parents were 8 foot tall rockstars.

montana was an excellent qb in the single best spot in the history of football --- he is the dictionary definition of being at the right place at the right time
You're right, Montana was put in a great situation with a great surrounding cast. Brady, less so. Neither had any control of the situation they were put in, they could only perform to the best of their abilities in their situation. Both did that. Let's not forget that an aging, oft injured Montana took the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game. That team was hardly Ideal with Willie Davis, JJ Birden and Keith Cash to throw to with an aging Marcus Allen in the backfield.

I don't have any problem with anyone thinking that Brady is better than Montana or that Montana is better than Brady. I saw both play, and I think they are the two best QB's in football. Where you rank them is really personal preference. I just have a problem with people who think Montana shouldn't be in the conversation. They either never saw Montana play or they are delusional.

I also think that when considering each QB's competition, you have to consider the coaches they played against in their conference, as coaching is a key component to winning in the playoffs when the talent level between the teams is very small. Gibbs took Washington to the Super Bowl 4 times (1982, 1983, 1987, 1991) winning three times. Parcells took the Giants twice (1986, 1990) winning both. The Bears defense was dominant in 1985. Jimmy Johnson took the Cowboys to the Super Bowl in 1992 in Montana's last year in SF. Who were the great head coaches in the AFC during Brady's Tenure? John Harbaugh? Mike Tomlin? Bill Cowher? Tony Dungy?

Just curious 12punch, did you see Montana play?

You're right, Montana was put in a great situation with a great surrounding cast. Brady, less so. Neither had any control of the situation they were put in, they could only perform to the best of their abilities in their situation. Both did that. Let's not forget that an aging, oft injured Montana took the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game. That team was hardly Ideal with Willie Davis, JJ Birden and Keith Cash to throw to with an aging Marcus Allen in the backfield.

I don't have any problem with anyone thinking that Brady is better than Montana or that Montana is better than Brady. I saw both play, and I think they are the two best QB's in football. Where you rank them is really personal preference. I just have a problem with people who think Montana shouldn't be in the conversation. They either never saw Montana play or they are delusional.

I also think that when considering each QB's competition, you have to consider the coaches they played against in their conference, as coaching is a key component to winning in the playoffs when the talent level between the teams is very small. Gibbs took Washington to the Super Bowl 4 times (1982, 1983, 1987, 1991) winning three times. Parcells took the Giants twice (1986, 1990) winning both. The Bears defense was dominant in 1985. Jimmy Johnson took the Cowboys to the Super Bowl in 1992 in Montana's last year in SF. Who were the great head coaches in the AFC during Brady's Tenure? John Harbaugh? Mike Tomlin? Bill Cowher? Tony Dungy?

:lmao: :lmao:

this post is ####### hilarious

first of all, who would those people be that don't have montana in this conversation --- and particularly in a thread entitled "Brady vs. Montana - who is greater all-time?" :lmao:

so, kc was so terrible that taking them to the afccg one year makes him the greatest qb ever?

ok

what happened to the afccg not counting as an accomplishment --- thought you had to win the superbowl to count that year, or is that just depending on which guy we're building the case for?

and you even doubledip by hitting my fav case for montana, although you didn't actually explore it as well as you could have.

montana played against all these hall of famers ---- brady doesn't play against anybody in the hall of fame!! :lmao:

I do like the spin you put on that one, though, giving all these coaches credit for dynasties in the dynasty building era before there was a cap, and somehow think that's a credit for montana --- like his 4 superbowls aren't a result playing in that era.

where is john harbaugh's 4 sb dynasty?? lolz

what you apparently don't even realize is that by deifying everybody who played and coached in ye olde golden tymes you are just exhibiting the exact behavior I spelled out earlier --- this does not make you a more creditable witness.

aside from the few serious and informative posts, like insomniac's above, this might be my favorite post of the thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this guy pretty much doesn't think Montana should be in the conversation.

this post is ####### hilarious

first of all, who would those people be that don't have montana in this conversation --- and particularly in a thread entitled "Brady vs. Montana - who is greater all-time?" :lmao:

so, kc was so terrible that taking them to the afccg one year makes him the greatest qb ever?

ok

what happened to the afccg not counting as an accomplishment --- thought you had to win the superbowl to count that year, or is that just depending on which guy we're building the case for?

and you even doubledip by hitting my fav case for montana, although you didn't actually explore it as well as you could have.

montana played against all these hall of famers ---- brady doesn't play against anybody in the hall of fame!! :lmao:

I do like the spin you put on that one, though, giving all these coaches credit for dynasties in the dynasty building era before there was a cap, and somehow think that's a credit for montana --- like his 4 superbowls aren't a result playing in that era.

where is john harbaugh's 4 sb dynasty?? lolz

what you apparently don't even realize is that by deifying everybody who played and coached in ye olde golden tymes you are just exhibiting the exact behavior I spelled out earlier --- this does not make you a more creditable witness.

aside from the few serious and informative posts, like insomniac's above, this might be my favorite post of the thread
I am glad to have entertained you.

BTW, are you old enough to have watched Montana play? Because I feel like I am responding to a 14 year old

Brady should have 6 SB's. He did his job in both loses by putting his team up late in the 4the Q of both.

If it wasn't for freakin D.Tyree's mircal helmet catch or Wes Welker holding onto a simple flare pass in the flats, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Plus, how many more times do you think Brady would have been there if he had Rice, Craig, Taylor, Clark and a top of the league defence every year.

Joe's great but Brady is better.

Why is it so hard for people to understand how easy it is to play the game now. All Qbs in this era pee down there leg when they have even a little bit of pressure, when Montana was playing these Qbs were getting hit on almost every pass play. Think about that for a second then try to tell me, how good Brady is. The game has changed so much for the worse, at least for football purists. All I know is unfortunately the game isn't going to revert back to the old days so I'm not going to compare people of a less era to Montana's era. Even though players are better today the game of football isn't just my opinion.

Why is it so hard for people to understand how easy it is to play the game now. All Qbs in this era pee down there leg when they have even a little bit of pressure, when Montana was playing these Qbs were getting hit on almost every pass play. Think about that for a second then try to tell me, how good Brady is. The game has changed so much for the worse, at least for football purists. All I know is unfortunately the game isn't going to revert back to the old days so I'm not going to compare people of a less era to Montana's era. Even though players are better today the game of football isn't just my opinion.
lol yeah ok

mario williams is 6' 6" 300 lbs and runs a 4.6 40 --- he would've ended montana's career

dudes hitting montana back then were the size of safeties

the pro athlete hasn't advanced physically at all in the last 30 yrs

ok

shark pool be sharkin'

lol yeah ok

mario williams is 6' 6" 300 lbs and runs a 4.6 40 --- he would've ended montana's career

dudes hitting montana back then were the size of safeties

the pro athlete hasn't advanced physically at all in the last 30 yrs

ok

shark pool be sharkin'
. LOL

This was true before 1980, might wanna go read a book. Doubt if you were even born with a post like that. Next your gonna say the game is harder to play today. Lol

I don't think it's unusual for 16-year olds who never leave their parents' basement to have never heard of Lawrence Taylor.

Right now Tom Brady is the Greatest of all Time. I think most people would define GOAT as the most accomplished, the one with the greatest career achievements. Not the best passer. Not the most clutch. It's the most accomplished, and in professional football the true mark of accomplishment for a QB is winning. And Brady has everyone in the world beat in that category. And it's not even all that close.

I don't think it's unusual for 16-year olds who never leave their parents' basement to have never heard of Lawrence Taylor.
yeah, I heard of him --- probably most dominant defensive player of the era.

and he was about the size of kam chancellor

I understand in your mind he was 9 ft tall, destroyed tokyo, beat your dad arm wrestling, and carried around a giant blue ox, but sometimes our childhood memories are bigger than life.

Right now Tom Brady is the Greatest of all Time. I think most people would define GOAT as the most accomplished, the one with the greatest career achievements. Not the best passer. Not the most clutch. It's the most accomplished, and in professional football the true mark of accomplishment for a QB is winning. And Brady has everyone in the world beat in that category. And it's not even all that close.
I think with brady it's just easy because he's tops in all those things --- ability, clutch, accomplishments, everything

he's even the best looking

I understand in your mind he was 9 ft tall, destroyed tokyo, beat your dad arm wrestling, and carried around a giant blue ox, but sometimes our childhood memories are bigger than life.
Google is your friend, might prevent you from looking even more dumb.

i don't think they're comparable players but a quick Google search shows that Lawrence Taylor played at 6'3" 237 and kam chancellor 6'3" 232. If you're going to play the Google card at least try doing it yourself.

i don't think they're comparable players but a quick Google search shows that Lawrence Taylor played at 6'3" 237 and kam chancellor 6'3" 232. If you're going to play the Google card at least try doing it yourself.
:own3d:

Never read the kam part but he was saying that they're so much bigger today than when Montana played so my bad on that one got me. Doesn't change that fact that he is wrong and that is what he was referring too

Last edited by a moderator:
Never read the kam part but he was saying that they're so much bigger today than when Montana played so my bad on that one got me. Doesn't change that fact that he is wrong and that is what he was referring too

maybe try reading the posts you reply to

might save you from looking even dumber

I'm gonna try this google thing --- I'll check tom brady

6'4" 225

12punch is exactly right on this. the defenders back then were allowed to hit qbs a lot more often. That's true. but his point is that the defenders today are bigger and stronger. That's also true. Shouldn't even be a controversial statement.

12punch is exactly right on this. the defenders back then were allowed to hit qbs a lot more often. That's true. but his point is that the defenders today are bigger and stronger. That's also true. Shouldn't even be a controversial statement.
Yes, defenders are bigger, stronger, and faster today. But:

- The difference is probably not significant. The best defenders in Montana's era (e.g., Lott, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, Randy White, etc.) would all have been elite in Brady's era IMO.

- Offensive players, including those who protect the QB, are also bigger, stronger, and faster today.

- And rules protect QBs more today by a significant amount.

The net result is that it is easier in today's era to excel at QB than it was in Montana's era. This should not be a controversial statement.

Yes, defenders are bigger, stronger, and faster today. But:

- The difference is probably not significant. The best defenders in Montana's era (e.g., Lott, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, Randy White, etc.) would all have been elite in Brady's era IMO.

- Offensive players, including those who protect the QB, are also bigger, stronger, and faster today.

- And rules protect QBs more today by a significant amount.

The net result is that it is easier in today's era to excel at QB than it was in Montana's era. This should not be a controversial statement.
and that applies to all qb today, and it applied to all qb back then

which is maybe why ronnie lott helped that sf defense hold montana's opponents to single digits on a regular basis

Yeah, but I've seen Brady stand and take full on shots in the teeth, knowing they were coming. That's tough no matter what year.

How many times have people questioned Brady's play late in the season only to find out two days after the Pats are done that Brady's having surgery on his foot, his hand.

There's no wrong answer to this question. I remember Montana toughing it out in KC with his elbow the size of a beach ball.

Users who are viewing this thread