What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Jacobs is a big fat wimp (1 Viewer)

gradin123

Footballguy
As soon as I saw Jacobs limp off on Sunday I thought to myself two things.

1. He is not really that hurt. Replays didnt show anything too scary looking on the play.

2. He won't return. Even though I suspected he wasn't hurt bad I knew he wouldn't return because his lack of willingness to play through injuries is now a pattern.

Does anyone seriously think Brian Westbrook who has been battling numerous injuries all year was any healthier at the end of the game than Jacobs? I doubt it but unlike Jacobs, Westbrook is a warrior who always answers the bell if it is at all possible.

The latest?

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported that an MRI revealed no structural damage to Brandon Jacobs' knee.

That's good news for the Giants and for Jacobs owners, but his status for this week is still up in the air. He could be headed for game-time decision territory this week. Keep an eye on his progress. Dec. 9 - 9:32 am et

This is what Jacobs said after the game, and it reveals his lack of toughness to me

Jacobs did not appear overly concerned about this latest setback, telling the New York Daily News that he does this "almost every game, so I knew what it was." Jacobs added, "I could've [come back in], but why? We couldn't get anything going."

Oh by the way do you think Tom Coughlin is starting to get frustrated about Jacobs lack of toughness? Sounds like it to me.

Giants Coach Tom Coughlin sometimes answers with delicate obfuscation when asked about player injuries, so his blunt tone was notable when he responded to a question about Brandon Jacobs’s left knee.

“Jacobs is sore,” Coughlin said Monday. “He’s sore. This is an ongoing kind of thing. He is sore today.”

Jacobs left the game in the third quarter Sunday, when the Giants fell to 11-2 after losing to the Philadelphia Eagles, 20-14. When asked whether Jacobs had undergone a new magnetic resonance imaging test, Coughlin replied vaguely, “He has had any number of them.” He did not offer a prognosis.

“He was in some pain,” Coughlin said of Jacobs, who did not speak with reporters Monday. Jacobs gained 52 yards on 10 carries against the Eagles, raising his season total to 1,002 yards on 195 carries.

It seems to me like there is nothing really wrong with Jacobs other than a bruise but that he doesn't want to play through the pain. It sounds like Tom Coughlin is growing frustrated with Jacobs and honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Giants decided just to keep Bradshaw and Ward after the season and let Jacobs go.

Remember this quote before the Cardinals game in which Jacobs didn't play.

"If they are in the right frame of mind." when talking about whether Burress and Jacobs would play that Sunday. Well apperently Jacobs wasn't in the right frame of mine for that game and it's doubtful to me he'll be in the right frame of mine this upcoming game either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dare you to say that to his face.
I would! Seriously if I saw him in the streets I would call him a wimp. Of course it helps to know that he couldn't really do anything about it because if he did I could sue his ###. :)

Frustrated Jacobs owner?
You know it! I benched him this past week for Hillis and Westbrook but now Hillis is out so for the next game so I really need Jacobs to play but I seriously doubt he will. Even though this a game vs the Cowboys that could essentially knock the Cowboys out I doubt Jacobs will be tough enough to play. That means I'll be scrambling to find a 2nd running back to go with Brian Westbrook.

BJ does seem to have a pattern regarding injuries. Jacobs will be running tough and playing hard, then he gets dinged a little bit and does not seem to want to play through it.

I don't think he is going to play this weekend, and if he does, I think he will be limited. I'm not putting him in my lineup. This guy just can't wait to get paid in the offseason, and he's not going to hurt himself before the big payday.

I don't think he is going to play this weekend, and if he does, I think he will be limited. I'm not putting him in my lineup. This guy just can't wait to get paid in the offseason, and he's not going to hurt himself before the big payday.
Maybe. But I'm starting to doubt the Giants will be the ones to pay him if Coughlin has anything to say about it. They could get Ward back for way cheaper and hand to reigns over to Bradshaw who is a lot younger and cheaper.

Westbrook's own lis franc injury looked like nothing when it happened, but he missed the rest of the year. Sometimes it is hard to tell. Although it is nice to think of BW as a warrior.

If BJ takes the week off, I will be excited to start Ward in my PPR league this week.

Maybe. But I'm starting to doubt the Giants will be the ones to pay him if Coughlin has anything to say about it. They could get Ward back for way cheaper and hand to reigns over to Bradshaw who is a lot younger and cheaper.
Running game is nowhere near the same without Jacobs in the equation.

That opinion is not supported by factBrandon Jacobs 195 attempts 5.1 yards per 1002 yards

Derrick Ward 138 attempts 4.8 yards per 669 yards

Ahmad Bradshaw 54 attempts 5.9 yards per 319 yards

Games in which Jacobs has not played in past 2 seasons 4 wins and 2 losses

In last years playoffs when Jacobs wasnt 100% and Ward was out:

Jacobs had 62 carries for 197 yards 3.2 per

Bradshaw had 48 carries for 208 yards 4.3 per

I don't doubt that Jacobs is a solid running back when he plays but if he is not willing to play through minor injuries in a contract year then how willing do you think he'll be to play through injuries after he signs a big signing bonus?

If money wasn't an issue I'm sure the Giants would keep Jacobs but given that the Giants have a great OL and 2 very capable running backs behind Jacobs I don't think the Giants really need Jacobs back.

That opinion is not supported by factBrandon Jacobs 195 attempts 5.1 yards per 1002 yards

I don't doubt that Jacobs is a solid running back when he plays but if he is not willing to play through minor injuries in a contract year then how willing do you think he'll be to play through injuries after he signs a big signing bonus?

If money wasn't an issue I'm sure the Giants would keep Jacobs but given that the Giants have a great OL and 2 very capable running backs behind Jacobs I don't think the Giants really need Jacobs back.
I disagree. Giants are a very different team without Jacobs. He sets the tone on offense. I highly doubt the averages for Ward and Bradshaw are anything near where they are now without Jacobs beating the hell out of the defense. Its tough to show with numbers since Jacobs has played every game but one this year so he contributed in some fashion to the success of Ward and Bradshaw. Not as tough when watching the game how defenses play when Jacobs is in the game versus Ward or Bradshaw. Week 12 is the only game Jacobs failed to play in. Mediocre run defense, Giants averaged 3 YPC. You don't know how hurt Jacobs is. He took a pretty good shot on that knee and has tried to play through it. Does the Giants no good for him to injure it further right before the playoffs. No way they win without him.

As per "That opinion isn't supported by fact", what exactly does your yard/carry data tell us that's so definitive? It seems to me that there's usually a heavy dose of Jacobs in the first half. He wears down the D and then a relatively fresh Ward comes in the second half to mop up. How did Ward do the odd time he had a heavy 1st half workload as compared to Jacobs in the first half? Anyone have any stats on this? Could provide some insight as to who the more valuable back really is.

gradin123 said:
As soon as I saw Jacobs limp off on Sunday I thought to myself two things.

1. He is not really that hurt. Replays didnt show anything too scary looking on the play.

2. He won't return. Even though I suspected he wasn't hurt bad I knew he wouldn't return because his lack of willingness to play through injuries is now a pattern.

Does anyone seriously think Brian Westbrook who has been battling numerous injuries all year was any healthier at the end of the game than Jacobs? I doubt it but unlike Jacobs, Westbrook is a warrior who always answers the bell if it is at all possible.

The latest?

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported that an MRI revealed no structural damage to Brandon Jacobs' knee.

That's good news for the Giants and for Jacobs owners, but his status for this week is still up in the air. He could be headed for game-time decision territory this week. Keep an eye on his progress. Dec. 9 - 9:32 am et

This is what Jacobs said after the game, and it reveals his lack of toughness to me

Jacobs did not appear overly concerned about this latest setback, telling the New York Daily News that he does this "almost every game, so I knew what it was." Jacobs added, "I could've [come back in], but why? We couldn't get anything going."

Oh by the way do you think Tom Coughlin is starting to get frustrated about Jacobs lack of toughness? Sounds like it to me.

Giants Coach Tom Coughlin sometimes answers with delicate obfuscation when asked about player injuries, so his blunt tone was notable when he responded to a question about Brandon Jacobs’s left knee.

“Jacobs is sore,” Coughlin said Monday. “He’s sore. This is an ongoing kind of thing. He is sore today.”

Jacobs left the game in the third quarter Sunday, when the Giants fell to 11-2 after losing to the Philadelphia Eagles, 20-14. When asked whether Jacobs had undergone a new magnetic resonance imaging test, Coughlin replied vaguely, “He has had any number of them.” He did not offer a prognosis.

“He was in some pain,” Coughlin said of Jacobs, who did not speak with reporters Monday. Jacobs gained 52 yards on 10 carries against the Eagles, raising his season total to 1,002 yards on 195 carries.

It seems to me like there is nothing really wrong with Jacobs other than a bruise but that he doesn't want to play through the pain. It sounds like Tom Coughlin is growing frustrated with Jacobs and honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Giants decided just to keep Bradshaw and Ward after the season and let Jacobs go.

Remember this quote before the Cardinals game in which Jacobs didn't play.

"If they are in the right frame of mind." when talking about whether Burress and Jacobs would play that Sunday. Well apperently Jacobs wasn't in the right frame of mine for that game and it's doubtful to me he'll be in the right frame of mine this upcoming game either.
Brian Westbrook, backed up by Lorenzo Booker on a 6-5-1 team fighting for a playoff spot, or Brandon Jacobs, backed up by Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw, on a 11-1 team with the Division locked up. Yeah, those two situations are comparable.

gradin123 said:
Native said:
I would! Seriously if I saw him in the streets I would call him a wimp. Of course it helps to know that he couldn't really do anything about it because if he did I could sue his ###. :fishing:
Bad idea.He might shoot you.

gradin123 said:
Native said:
I would! Seriously if I saw him in the streets I would call him a wimp. Of course it helps to know that he couldn't really do anything about it because if he did I could sue his ###. :fishing:
Given the track record Giants players have with firearms, there is much more chance of him shooting himself.

gradin123 said:
Native said:
I would! Seriously if I saw him in the streets I would call him a wimp. Of course it helps to know that he couldn't really do anything about it because if he did I could sue his ###. :)
Given the track record Giants players have with firearms, there is much more chance of him shooting himself.
:lmao:

As per "That opinion isn't supported by fact", what exactly does your yard/carry data tell us that's so definitive? It seems to me that there's usually a heavy dose of Jacobs in the first half. He wears down the D and then a relatively fresh Ward comes in the second half to mop up. How did Ward do the odd time he had a heavy 1st half workload as compared to Jacobs in the first half? Anyone have any stats on this? Could provide some insight as to who the more valuable back really is.
In the past 2 years Ward has started 6 timesIn those games he had:

117 carries for 543 yards 4.64 yards per and 3td's

+

22 receptions for 154 yards

So he has had 697 combined yards in the 6 games Jacobs has missed. Not bad huh?

I think personally that Jacobs is the better pure running back but Ward is a much better receiver.

I really don't think the Giants would lose much with a Ward/Bradshaw combo replacing Jacobs. I think the lack of commitment of Jacobs though is why the Giants might pass on him.

Jacobs had stated prior to this year that he wanted to stay healthy and play a full 16 games this year because it is a contract year for him. Despite that, he has missed one game already even though he was deemed healthy enough to play by the team doctors.

How many carries does Jacobs have in the 4th Q? How many does Ward? How many does Bradshaw have in the 4th Q after two of the bigger backs in the NFL have worn down a D? Now how many carries in the first Q?1st Q

NAME POS YR RSH RSHYD YD/RSH FD RSHTD FANT PT

1 Brandon Jacobs rb 2008 65 350 5.38 15 4 59.90

2 Derrick Ward rb 2008 22 70 3.18 7 0 12.50

3 Ahmad Bradshaw rb 2008 2 3 1.50 1 0 0.30

4 Madison Hedgecock rb 2008 0 0 0 0 0.50

2nd Q

1 Derrick Ward rb 2008 51 265 5.20 14 1 52.60

2 Brandon Jacobs rb 2008 50 234 4.68 17 4 48.80

3 Ahmad Bradshaw rb 2008 2 4 2.00 0 0 0.40

4 Madison Hedgecock rb 2008 0 0 0 0 0.90

3rd Q

1 Brandon Jacobs rb 2008 49 295 6.02 16 3 48.30

2 Derrick Ward rb 2008 29 114 3.93 5 0 20.90

3 Ahmad Bradshaw rb 2008 5 39 7.80 2 0 3.90

4 Madison Hedgecock rb 2008 0 0 0 0 6.60

4th Q

1 Ahmad Bradshaw rb 2008 45 274 6.09 9 1 42.20

2 Derrick Ward rb 2008 34 211 6.21 11 1 29.20

3 Brandon Jacobs rb 2008 30 126 4.20 5 1 18.60

4 Madison Hedgecock rb 2008 0 0 0 0 0.80

Both Ward and Jacobs are far more valuable as fantasy plays without each other in the active lineup...so those who own both Jacobs and Ward should be ok as long as the situation is clear going into Sundays game.

As far as Jacobs softening up the defense...I don't really buy into this theory. Ward does just fine with Jacobs out of the lineup...witness the stats posted earlier in this thread.

Derrick Ward will be some team's starting RB, opening day, 2009...he just won't be with the Giants..

Denver? SD? Cleveland? Cincy? NE? Seattle? Indy? Az?

he's likely to be one of the most sought-after F/A RB's during the off-season..Ryan Grant became a stud RB in GB, perhaps Ward will do the same.. :X

Jacobs has a bit of Chris Brown in him, in that he does well , gets a bruise or a bump, and shuts it down for the remainder of the game..I mean, Chris Brown would break a toe nail in the 2nd quarter, and you'd never see him again.. :D

Not sure, if that's entirely Jacobs' fault, or if its the coaching staff just playing it safe with him.. :shrug:

some people think that NFL athletes are made of cast iron. Just beause it didnt look like he got hurt *to you* doesn't mean that he didnt get hurt. Thanks.

I met Jacobs a few years ago (or it might be more correct to say I was in the same room at a private function). Like a lot of Manhattanites, I try not to bother athletes/celebs who are out trying to be normal. Anyway, at one point I had to walk across the room to get a drink, turned and nearly bumped into Brandon...took a step to the side...and then took another step to the side because I had misjudged how far I had to go to get around him.He's a big man. Given the opportunity, the OP would not say one word to him about being a wimp. Guaranteed.

Derrick Ward will be some team's starting RB, opening day, 2009...he just won't be with the Giants..Denver? SD? Cleveland? Cincy? NE? Seattle? Indy? Az? he's likely to be one of the most sought-after F/A RB's during the off-season..Ryan Grant became a stud RB in GB, perhaps Ward will do the same..:lmao:Jacobs has a bit of Chris Brown in him, in that he does well , gets a bruise or a bump, and shuts it down for the remainder of the game..I mean, Chris Brown would break a toe nail in the 2nd quarter, and you'd never see him again.. :lmao: Not sure, if that's entirely Jacobs' fault, or if its the coaching staff just playing it safe with him.. :lmao:
DoB? Oh, the age thing...

some people think that NFL athletes are made of cast iron. Just beause it didnt look like he got hurt *to you* doesn't mean that he didnt get hurt. Thanks.
well when an athlete claims he could have gone back in and chooses NOT to because theres no point to , THATS when theres a question of heart...not durability

for the immediate future. even if BJ plays this weekend it's a bad matchup. the Cowboys are dominating the run right now. i have Ward and i'm not gonna play him even if BJ is out.

well when an athlete claims he could have gone back in and chooses NOT to because theres no point to , THATS when theres a question of heart...not durability
Do you really think that was BJ's choice? The coaching staff decides those things and they obviously didnt want to subject Jacobs to further injury. He's on record saying he wants to play this week but its ultimately going to be the coach's decision. Just like last week.

Do you really think that was BJ's choice? The coaching staff decides those things and they obviously didnt want to subject Jacobs to further injury. He's on record saying he wants to play this week but its ultimately going to be the coach's decision. Just like last week.
Exactly. The thread called him a wimp, which he isn't. It had nothing to do with his heart.Secondly, he wanted to go back in. He doesnt make those decisions.Thanks.

Agree he's not a wimp. Anyone who's seen him play knows he does anything but avoid contact, and keeps on plowing after the first 5 guys hit him. Man, that guy can move a pile. That is not the signature play of someone who is a wimp.

Physically he obviously is not a wimp

Mentally he is a wimp

BTW, here is the latest

Giants coach Tom Couglin said RB Brandon Jacobs (knee) and WR Domenik Hixon (ankle/foot) will not practice Wednesday.

Coughlin said Jacobs is "a little bit better," but offered only that the Giants would "do the smart thing, the thing which is medically recommended" when it comes time to make a decision on Jacobs status for Week 15. As for Hixon, Coughlin said that his swelling has gone down since Sunday. He seems likely to play Sunday.

Sounds like he won't play this week. Big surprise. There are two types of players.

1. The warriors like Portis and Westbrook who almost refuse to miss anytime and always want to be on the field.

2. The guys like Jacobs and Selvin Young who will remove themselves from a game if they feel any pain. There is no doubt Jacobs is a little banged up but there are tons of players banged up and most suck it up and play through it and don't complain about it because they want to be on the field. It is just a good thing for the Giants that they have good depth. I fully expect both Ward and Bradshaw to have good weeks in his absence. I don't buy that the Dallas D can shut down the Giants run game. They didn't do it last time and I doubt they'll do it this time. What the Cowboys did vs SF and Seattle is irrelevent and the Steelers Run game has been hot and cold all season.

Publicly Brandon Jacobs always says stuff like he wants to play but its up to the coaches and trainers. He tries to pass the buck over to the them. But I strongly suspect to the trainers he is always complaining about not being right.

Look at Coughlins comments. If you read between the lines you can see that he is questioning Jacobs toughness.

Coughlin was slightly more cryptic about the left knee injury that sidelined Jacobs during the third quarter. Coughlin seemed to bristle at a question suggesting that Jacobs said he could have returned to the game, and the coach wouldn’t say whether the Giants’ leading rusher underwent an MRI exam on Monday. Jacobs hurt his left knee during a Nov. 16 game against the Ravens and sat out the following game against the Cardinals.

“Jacobs is sore,” Coughlin said when asked about the knee. ”He is sore. This is an on-going kind of thing. And hopefully we can get that under control and he will be ready to go. He is sore today.”

When asked whether Jacobs had undergone a new magnetic resonance imaging test, Coughlin replied vaguely, “He has had any number of them.” He did not offer a prognosis.

And prior to the Cardinals game which Jacobs missed

That might be why when Tom Coughlin was asked about Burress and Jacobs Friday, he said they not only had to be healthy, but they also had to be "in the right frame of mind."

Coughlin said that meant they need to be "anxious and obviously excited about the opportunity and all that goes into playing a game (and) playing with your heart." But Coughlin declined to say why that would be a question for any player this late in the year.

you'll see Giants Titans and eventually more teams sit players. There's a thread like this every year

Sore and if he pushes it, he could be out for the playoffs...he's making the right decision.

We might see Bradshaw and Ware getting all the carries in week 16 or 17. Will Ward be a wimp then too?

you'll see Giants Titans and eventually more teams sit players. There's a thread like this every yearSore and if he pushes it, he could be out for the playoffs...he's making the right decision.We might see Bradshaw and Ware getting all the carries in week 16 or 17. Will Ward be a wimp then too?
No, I've never seen Ward pull himself from a game or have Coughlin publicly question his toughness and heart.

Brandon Jacobs (knee) reiterated Wednesday that his status for Week 15 against the Cowboys isn't up to him.

Jacobs owners can't be counting on him this week. "It's just something that keeps nagging and nagging," he said. "Me going out and playing on it the last seven weeks, it didn't make it any better. I have to do what they tell me to do and hope it gets better. I want to be healthy for (the playoffs)."
Dont count on him after quotes like this.

blackjack23 said:
Brandon Jacobs (knee) reiterated Wednesday that his status for Week 15 against the Cowboys isn't up to him.

Jacobs owners can't be counting on him this week. "It's just something that keeps nagging and nagging," he said. "Me going out and playing on it the last seven weeks, it didn't make it any better. I have to do what they tell me to do and hope it gets better. I want to be healthy for (the playoffs)."
Dont count on him after quotes like this.

gradin123 said:
Bri said:
you'll see Giants Titans and eventually more teams sit players. There's a thread like this every yearSore and if he pushes it, he could be out for the playoffs...he's making the right decision.We might see Bradshaw and Ware getting all the carries in week 16 or 17. Will Ward be a wimp then too?
No, I've never seen Ward pull himself from a game or have Coughlin publicly question his toughness and heart.
sorry he won't be there for your FF team in the playoffs, Good Luck with his backup

Users who are viewing this thread