What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Jacobs (1 Viewer)

ddog9876

Footballguy
Can we agree that when this guy plays, he produces RB1 numbers?

When(if) he doesn't play in a game, you can play someone else, right? I mean everyone has a bench and you don't have to play him when he's hurt.

So, especially in a shallow league (10 team - No ppr), isn't this guy a legit 1st rounder?

He's tempting. I pick 10th in a 14 team redraft and he's a consideration in rd 1, especially as a Giants fan. But it's tough to pull the trigger on him at this spot, I just don't know if I trust him. Very tough call.

As to replacing him if he gets hurt, it's much easier to do that in a 10 team league. You're in a better position to take him than I am.

It's not that easy. There were several GTD with him last year.
I haven't been on the boards this year yet... "GTD" is what?TY.
Aaron's right...should have expanded. You can't just assume you'll get the NYG starter's points. Last year if I remember correctly he was even listed to start until 5 minutes prior to kick, which was later in the day...so many got burned.That's what scares me about him, for a first-rounder. He runs brutally hard.That and no receiving.

Good points by all - I didn't consider the GTD aspect of him - that makes it tough.

I pick #9 in a 10 teamer - so I would be taking him "early" with even with my 2nd rounder (the 12th pick).

This is a 6 pt all TD league - 1 pt/20 yds - no ppr.

I'll stew on it for a few hundred hours more...

I've got Jacobs in my keeper league and I don't consider him a first round RB. In games where he's health he still loses carries to the backup RB's. Bradshaw will get plenty of time this year just like Ward did last year. The GTD is a problem, but also the fact that if he get's hurt in a game he'll probably sit out half of it. That means that you're probably gonna lose that week since your first round starting RB will have a very low score. Drafting Jacobs means first round production for over half of the season, 1 or 2 games with a pretty low score due to him getting hurt halfway through, and 2-4 games starting a backup. Sounds like a solid second rounder to me. If you are looking for a a first round RB, I think you could do better with Portis, DeAngelo, or Gore. If you lose Jacobs is gone before you get to your second round pick, there's still probably Westbrook, Barber, and Slaton.

I have him as RB3 in non-PPR. I do not necessarily pick him that high (because I don't need to), but I think he projects very good performance.

He was tied for 3rd in Points Per Game last year with this format, I do not project injuries so that GTD thing is irrelevant, and I see the NYG running game getting more emphasis as the WRs have downgraded.

He is great value at 1.7 to 1.10.

I have watched him his entire career and think he is a beast with quick feet besides.

Can we agree that when this guy plays, he produces RB1 numbers?When(if) he doesn't play in a game, you can play someone else, right? I mean everyone has a bench and you don't have to play him when he's hurt.So, especially in a shallow league (10 team - No ppr), isn't this guy a legit 1st rounder?
He's not in my to-10 RBs, so I think the answer is obviously no.

Can we agree that when this guy plays, he produces RB1 numbers?When(if) he doesn't play in a game, you can play someone else, right? I mean everyone has a bench and you don't have to play him when he's hurt.So, especially in a shallow league (10 team - No ppr), isn't this guy a legit 1st rounder?
You missed the subtlety of the question... the others didn't - but thanks anyway.

When(if) he doesn't play in a game, you can play someone else, right? I mean everyone has a bench and you don't have to play him when he's hurt.

So, especially in a shallow league (10 team - No ppr), isn't this guy a legit 1st rounder?
You missed the subtlety of the question... the others didn't - but thanks anyway.
Nope, didn't miss the subtlety at all... I answered your question pretty clearly. Sorry you didn't like the answer.You can try to use whatever justification you want to draft a player higher than he's valued, from PPG to whatever. It still doesn't make it a smart choice.

Nope, didn't miss the subtlety at all... I answered your question pretty clearly. Sorry you didn't like the answer.You can try to use whatever justification you want to draft a player higher than he's valued, from PPG to whatever. It still doesn't make it a smart choice.
So on a PPG basis, what did he rank last year with your scoring?

Standard non-PPR scoring:

1 Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB 286.5 17.9

2 Turner, Michael ATL RB 274.1 17.1

3 Jackson, Steven STL RB 187.2 15.6

4 Westbrook, Brian PHI RB 217.3 15.5

5 Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB 201.5 15.5

Tied for 4th. No reason to think he will do worse, some reasons to think better (loss of Ward, WRs).

Standard non-PPR scoring:

1 Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB 286.5 17.9

2 Turner, Michael ATL RB 274.1 17.1

3 Jackson, Steven STL RB 187.2 15.6

4 Westbrook, Brian PHI RB 217.3 15.5

5 Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB 201.5 15.5

Tied for 4th. No reason to think he will do worse, some reasons to think better (loss of Ward, WRs).
I know he was a bit banged up but didn't his YPC go down quite a bit after the loss of Plax? (I don't remember what game was Plax's last otherwise I'd post the stats) No WR which needs to be doubled = more in the box.Yes, I realize this is nit picky since his TD totals were still there. Just making an observation.

So on a PPG basis, what did he rank last year with your scoring?
It doesn't matter to me what he did on a PPG basis... PPG is misleading, it causes you to overvalue players.ETA - to clarify, when I initially said he wasn't top-10 in my RBs, I wasn't referring to where he finished in my scoring last year, I was referring to where I project him this year. It seems like that might not have been understood. Quite frankly, I don't care where anyone finished last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him a lot, but in drafts where I would happily take him as my RB2 he never seems to fall to me in the 2nd round. I'm not willing to take him in the 1st - I'll keep taking my chances.

It doesn't matter to me what he did on a PPG basis... PPG is misleading, it causes you to overvalue players.

It's also misleading if you don't look at PPG - you could undervalue players - part of my original point/question was considering that I play in a shallow league with decent RB's on my bench to replace him - his high PPG was real attractive.

The dreaded GTD though or sitting out half of a game he started (both of which occurred last year) is not something I originally considered and I agree needs to be considered.

Pick 12? I'll probably end up passing but I'll have a few beers in me then and I'm sober right now.

**I messed up the quote and don't feel like fixing it... sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread