What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Lloyd Officially Traded to the Rams (2 Viewers)

Why is an 0-5 team giving away draft pick(s) for a 30 year old WR who will be a FA at season's end?
I'm also curious why the Broncos are moving their best player from last year and taking a valuable target away from their un-groomed/polished sophomore QB.Is it a financial/business decision or has Lloyd been so vocal about his support for Orton that they're shipping him to maintain team chemistry?How many times has the #1 WR from the prior year been traded mid season?

Twitter rumor being thrown out by Matt Barrows, 49er beat writer. That Ochocinco could be cut and and up on the 49ers. Presumably if the Patriots scoop up Lloyd from the Rams. This is just a rumor, relax.

Why is an 0-5 team giving away draft pick(s) for a 30 year old WR who will be a FA at season's end?
I'm also curious why the Broncos are moving their best player from last year and taking a valuable target away from their un-groomed/polished sophomore QB.Is it a financial/business decision or has Lloyd been so vocal about his support for Orton that they're shipping him to maintain team chemistry?How many times has the #1 WR from the prior year been traded mid season?
Also, why do so many people think WRs are done at 30? Lloyd may have 3-5 productive seasons left, and teams can turnaround quickly in the span of a season -- next year the Rams could end up being a contender with Lloyd as one of the centerpieces of the offense.

Twitter rumor being thrown out by Matt Barrows, 49er beat writer. That Ochocinco could be cut and and up on the 49ers. Presumably if the Patriots scoop up Lloyd from the Rams. This is just a rumor, relax.
Why would the Niners want Ochocinco? Why would any team want him?

Broncos- throw in Moreno as well and make this happen ASAP. Didn't Caddy get hurt?

McDaniels is getting the band back together!!!

mattbarrows Matt Barrows Oh, Lordy. I just spent the last few days knocking down Lloyd rumors ... @bobspatta: How about OchoCinco gets cut and winds up with 49ers?
not a rumor from Barrows, he was just responding to someone

@mortreport

Brandon Lloyd to Rams is finally final. Sam Bradford and Josh McDaniels get themselves a receiver. More to come on @NFL32

Jason LaCanfora talking about Lloyd being traded to the Rams tossed out another possibility that makes a ton of sense - the Broncos possibly trading Kyle Orton to the Raiders. I am sure the Raiders receivers would applaud someone who could get the ball to them

mattbarrows Matt Barrows Oh, Lordy. I just spent the last few days knocking down Lloyd rumors ... @bobspatta: How about OchoCinco gets cut and winds up with 49ers?
not a rumor from Barrows, he was just responding to someone
That makes sense. I'm not directly following Barrows, he just got retweeted, sorry for the confusion.

@mortreport

Rams give up a 6th rounder in 2012 that could become a 5th rounder depending Lloyd's pass receptions

Jason LaCanfora talking about Lloyd being traded to the Rams tossed out another possibility that makes a ton of sense - the Broncos possibly trading Kyle Orton to the Raiders. I am sure the Raiders receivers would applaud someone who could get the ball to them
As a Raider fan and Orton owner, this trade would be terrific.

Broncos- throw in Moreno as well and make this happen ASAP. Didn't Caddy get hurt?

McDaniels is getting the band back together!!!
McDaniels' band set list:Even the Losers - Tom Petty

Another One Bites the Dust - Queen

Loser - Beck

My Own Worst Enemy - Lit

Nowhere Fast - The Smiths

I'm a Loser - The Beatles

I bet they would, too. But why trade for Orton?

Lloyd went for a 6th rounder that could become a 5th. Rams got a steal!
What kind of comp pick would they have gotten for Lloyd if they hadn't traded him? He's a FA in 2012. I guess he was becomming too much of a distracdtion in the locker room with the Tebow comments, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also curious why the Broncos are moving their best player from last year and taking a valuable target away from their un-groomed/polished sophomore QB.
Perhaps Elway isn't convinced Tebow's the long-term answer so removing the team's No. 1 WR doesn't concern him a great deal.
Are you saying this is his way of shooting for Luck?

Lloyd went for a 6th rounder that could become a 5th. Rams got a steal!
What kind of comp pick would they have gotten for Lloyd if they hadn't traded him? He's a FA in 2012. I guess he was becomming too much of a distracdtion in the locker room with the Tebow comments, etc.
would have depended on his production and salary.http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.htmlfwiw, housh fetched a 3rd rounder.

Does this really help Decker's value or just maintains his value pre-Tebow? Is he the #1 WR or will Thomas be?

For a 6th?

I would do that every day of the week.

What rookie can you get in the sixth that would give you the production of Lloyd?

I never understood the NFLs crazy draft pick value system, but I just wonder why more teams did not jump on top of this...for a 6th, wtf.

So assuming this is done, is Lloyd startable this week or is this a wait a week or two situation?
If I had him, I'd start him. I'm guessing McDaniels is going to want to make a point to show what a great trade this was and how much Lloyd is going to help Bradford.
I'm thinking he's going to be what I had hoped MSW would be....a low end WR2.
I'd aim a lot higher. He was one of fantasy's elite WRs last season working with two QBs who aren't anywhere near as talented as Bradford in my opinion. Lloyd could be a monster the rest of the way. Lloyd owners (and Bradford owners) should be buying drinks for everyone today. Christmas just came early.

do you think this gives the rams a leg up in trying to resign him for 2012.
Lloyd's a Missouri native I believe and went to school at nearby Illinois, fwiw. Geographically and football-wise it's a great fit for him. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if a new deal was part of the trade, too, but we'll see.

So assuming this is done, is Lloyd startable this week or is this a wait a week or two situation?
If I had him, I'd start him. I'm guessing McDaniels is going to want to make a point to show what a great trade this was and how much Lloyd is going to help Bradford.
agree and besides they are going up against a very vulnerable Cowboy secondary
Cowboys did a good job containing the Pats on the road- there's always garbage time (see Lions, week 4) but the O-line is still a concern for the Rams. I think they lost yet another O-lineman in yesterday's game.

A 6th round pick is easily worth it if it helps with Bradford's development. You can't have a player with Bradford's ability regress because the his WR's suck. People that don't watch the Rams on a regular basis have no idea how many drops the WR's have had this year. 3 or 4 were TD's too. This is a great move by the Rams.

You guys are either clueless or blind. Lloyd had one good season in an extremely pass-happy offense. Every other team he has gone to, he has completely bombed.

Bradford hasn't exactly made Alexander/Gibson/Sims-Walker into superstars, and there's no reason to think Lloyd will make him into one. Josh McDaniels hasn't exactly opened things up" for the Rams, despite being down 20 every game.

Lloyd has been bad this year when on the field. Too many drops, poor routes. It is going to take him time to learn a new playbook and get in sync with the offense.

You heard it here. Lloyd will be useless for the rest of the season.

We should try to focus the discussion here, and center on the fantasy implications of this. As far as I can tell, we get:

(1) boost in Lloyds value (below preseason with Orton, but higher than with Tebow

(2) slight boost in value for Gibson or Alexander, whoever plays opposite Lloyd

(3) MSW is probably irrelevant, but he was before too

(4) increase in value of Decker and D. Thomas in Denver.

The pivotal question to me, fantasy wise, is probably number 4. Decker or Thomas are going to become the big guy in Denver it seems. Do they split it and cancel eachother out? Lloyd put up numbers with Tebow last year, so it's possible a receiver will be value. The question is which one of these carries the value, and will they be consistent enough to be startable. Thoughts?

:shrug:to save jobs....to help Bradford develop...to lock him up before he hits FA...
All of these plus, as bad as they are, they really need to figure out whether Bradford is more Stafford-like or Sanchez-like. Even they cannot evaluate properly since he has not had a decent WR to work with...even if they lose out and Bradford shows chemistry with a proper WR in Lloyd, they can better make a decision whether to draft luck to keep him or trade him.Bradford showed the most when he had a healthy Clayton last year. Bradford has 4 passing TDs in his last 10 contests...He had 6 of his TDs in the five games Clayton played last season (of course, not all to Clayton). Basically he hit a major rut in December 2010 and has not come out of it. Spags may be a good coach, but if they go 3 wins or less, I doubt he keeps his job. They have a ton of reasons to bring in a guy like lloyd.

I'd say it's too early to speak confidently on number 4 given the question marks surrounding Thomas and his ability to make a regular contribution while healthy. We haven't seen it yet so I'd still easily put Decker ahead of him until proven otherwise. Would be crazy not to take a flyer on him, though. I own Lloyd and Thomas in my 16-team money league so this is a win-win situation for me.

As for the Rams receiver usage, I'm expecting Alexander will play opposite Lloyd with Gibson working the slot. Am I correct in this assessment or did Salas make enough of a statement this week to work himself into this starting rotation? (Obviously Clayton is potentially involved here as well. If he returns to full health, I would expect Alexander to switch to an inconsistent Devery Henderson-like role.)

Last edited by a moderator:
We should try to focus the discussion here, and center on the fantasy implications of this. As far as I can tell, we get:

(1) boost in Lloyds value (below preseason with Orton, but higher than with Tebow

(2) slight boost in value for Gibson or Alexander, whoever plays opposite Lloyd

(3) MSW is probably irrelevant, but he was before too

(4) increase in value of Decker and D. Thomas in Denver.

The pivotal question to me, fantasy wise, is probably number 4. Decker or Thomas are going to become the big guy in Denver it seems. Do they split it and cancel eachother out? Lloyd put up numbers with Tebow last year, so it's possible a receiver will be value. The question is which one of these carries the value, and will they be consistent enough to be startable. Thoughts?
That is my question and I guess we won't know until after next week. I own Decker but should I also add D. Thomas?

Users who are viewing this thread