What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Lloyd (1 Viewer)

I already bought him in dynasty. I paid Percy Harvin + a mid-to-late first rounder. I couldn't be happier with that decision.
I wouldn't give up Harvin for him let alone a first round pick.
:thumbup: aside, I think this is a common mistake in dynasty. Lloyd has outscored Harvin all but one week this season and has scored about 60% more points. And like I stated above, I don't really look much past two or three years down the road. And why would you? There is so much uncertainty in the NFL from season to season, I think that is a losing bet for all but the super elite players.

I already bought him in dynasty. I paid Percy Harvin + a mid-to-late first rounder. I couldn't be happier with that decision.
:homer: aside, I think this is a common mistake in dynasty. Lloyd has outscored Harvin all but one week this season and has scored about 60% more points. And like I stated above, I don't really look much past two or three years down the road. And why would you? There is so much uncertainty in the NFL from season to season, I think that is a losing bet for all but the super elite players.
What makes you think he's going to keep this up for 2-3 more years? There are a ton of options in Denver and who knows what happens once Thomas is completely healthy and more familiar with the NFL game.I wouldn't trust Lloyd past this year, personally.

:yes: aside, I think this is a common mistake in dynasty. Lloyd has outscored Harvin all but one week this season and has scored about 60% more points. And like I stated above, I don't really look much past two or three years down the road. And why would you? There is so much uncertainty in the NFL from season to season, I think that is a losing bet for all but the super elite players.
What makes you think he's going to keep this up for 2-3 more years? There are a ton of options in Denver and who knows what happens once Thomas is completely healthy and more familiar with the NFL game.I wouldn't trust Lloyd past this year, personally.
His situation for one. He and Orton will be there for at least this year and next. The emergence of Thomas may or may not ever happen. Many thought he was a reach where he was picked. Many many many first round physical specimens just flop. Lots of questions, and maybe it was a bit short sighted, but then again maybe not. I'm not foolish enough to think I know what will happen. He's not even 30 years old yet. Heck Demaryus could emerge and become such a threat that teams are forced to roll coverage away from Lloyd. We just don't know.

No dynasty value IMO. Not just Thomas taking away time but dont forget Eric Decker there. IF either guy stays healthy they will be the guys. And never count out next years draft where they looks to be 4 studs and a few other pretty good ones. Where these guys go will impact alot of stuff.
I don't think you could be more off on your analysis. Here is how his age lines up with the rest of the top 10 receivers (and White is the only one within 150 yards of him right now)Lloyd is 29Roddy White - 29Miles Austin - 26Reggie Wayne - 31Terrell Owens - 36Santana Moss - 31Andre Johnson - 29Brandon Marshall - 26Calvin Johnson - 25Marques Colston - 27So he's the same age as White and Johnson (arguably the number 1 and 2 dynasty receivers)He's younger than Wayne, Owens, and Moss.And he's older than Austin, Marshall, Calvin, and Colston. Basically he's right in the middle of the group. He appears to be a late bloomer. He's got more yardage than all these guys....by a lot. He bumped around to several teams earlier but appears to have found his stride. Heck, all of these guys have young bucks waiting in the wings.
You just listed a bunch of guys who have proved themselves year after year. I'm more interested to know how many WR's got their first 1000 season at 29 (or even 27 or 28) and repeated it the next year.

No dynasty value IMO. Not just Thomas taking away time but dont forget Eric Decker there. IF either guy stays healthy they will be the guys. And never count out next years draft where they looks to be 4 studs and a few other pretty good ones. Where these guys go will impact alot of stuff.
I don't think you could be more off on your analysis. Here is how his age lines up with the rest of the top 10 receivers (and White is the only one within 150 yards of him right now)Lloyd is 29

Roddy White - 29

Miles Austin - 26

Reggie Wayne - 31

Terrell Owens - 36

Santana Moss - 31

Andre Johnson - 29

Brandon Marshall - 26

Calvin Johnson - 25

Marques Colston - 27

So he's the same age as White and Johnson (arguably the number 1 and 2 dynasty receivers)

He's younger than Wayne, Owens, and Moss.

And he's older than Austin, Marshall, Calvin, and Colston.

Basically he's right in the middle of the group. He appears to be a late bloomer. He's got more yardage than all these guys....by a lot. He bumped around to several teams earlier but appears to have found his stride. Heck, all of these guys have young bucks waiting in the wings.
You just listed a bunch of guys who have proved themselves year after year. I'm more interested to know how many WR's got their first 1000 season at 29 (or even 27 or 28) and repeated it the next year.
Look no further than two former Broncos (Rod Smith broke out at 27, Easy Ed McCaffrey at 31). I just found this article which is a pretty interesting read on Lloyd's past. He seems a bit misunderstood. Is the 29-year-old Lloyd a genuine late bloomer? He would need to continue posting consistent fantasy numbers over a full season (I wouldn’t expect 100-plus receiving yards each week) for me to answer yes. It’s not unusual for receivers to amass elite numbers late in their careers. Denver fans may recall another late bloomer by the name of Ed McCaffrey. He enjoyed his first 70-plus catch season at 31 years old and amassed his first 100-plus catch season at age 32. Troy Brown, formerly of the New England Patriots, compiled 83, 101 and 97 catches, respectively, at ages 29, 30 and 31.

Matt Waldman said:
Thanks for the link Mark. I obviously agree and have been a bit baffled by how many people still consider what he is doing to be fluky. The notion that he is going to fade into obscurity when the likes of Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker emerge is completely off base. Why would Denver stop feeding him the ball simply because they have two promising rookie WR's? The bottom line is that right now, Lloyd is far and away Denver's best WR, and that is not likely to change anytime soon. The only other Denver WR on his level from a talent standpoint is Thomas, but he still appears to be a year or two away from putting it all together. And even when he does, there is no reason to believe Lloyd will simply disappear. If Thomas does emerge, it should only help Lloyd. Thomas is a physical freak, and if he is able to become a good WR as well, he will be almost impossible to cover one-on-one. Teams will be forced to pick their poison between Lloyd and Thomas, and this will open things up for both of them, as well as opening things up for Royal, Decker, and Gaffney underneath.

Decker, while he may well become a very good possession WR, is no threat to Lloyd. Ideally, Lloyd and Thomas will eventually be the wideouts with Royal in the slot, and Decker/Gaffney coming in as possession WR's in 4 and 5 WR sets.

As a Denver fan, I have to say I'm pretty excited about this group of WR's and the future of Denver's passing offense (I can only hope that McD is smart enough to stick with Orton, at the very least through 2011). Once Decker and Thomas mature more, I think this group may very well be the deepest and most talented WR core in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone still doubting Brandon Lloyd?

Another game, post-bye week, and another 6 receptions, 90 yards, and 2 TDs.

You guys should have bought when you had the chance. :hey:

If there are still any doubters, I'd love to hear their reasoning here. I started this thread and it was clear to me at the time, and still is, that Lloyd is 100% legit. He makes highlight reel catches on a weekly basis (check out his second TD against KC) all the while consistently beating double teams (Ocho Cinco could learn something from Lloyd--never in a million years thought I'd say that). I'm not trying to provoke those of you who were down on him, or rub it in and say we told you so (truth be told we still don't know how this will end) but I'd love to hear from anyone who still believes he's flash in the pan. And, of those of you have expressed doubts in this thread, do you still feel the same way, or are you beginning to come around?

I still can't bring myself to believe, even though I know I'm wrong. I just watched him in SF for far too long and realize my personal bias is killing what his value actually is.

If there are still any doubters, I'd love to hear their reasoning here. I started this thread and it was clear to me at the time, and still is, that Lloyd is 100% legit. He makes highlight reel catches on a weekly basis (check out his second TD against KC) all the while consistently beating double teams (Ocho Cinco could learn something from Lloyd--never in a million years thought I'd say that). I'm not trying to provoke those of you who were down on him, or rub it in and say we told you so (truth be told we still don't know how this will end) but I'd love to hear from anyone who still believes he's flash in the pan. And, of those of you have expressed doubts in this thread, do you still feel the same way, or are you beginning to come around?
I was never in the "flash in the pan" group, but this is why I am somewhat down on dynasty leagues these days. It's so situationally based especially for WR's, unless the situation is stable, it's still a crapshoot. Roddy White for instance is in a stable situation... young QB, and the coaching staff is unlikely to change. If things change in Denver, Lloyd might not keep this pace up. Look at B Marshall and Fitz. Change their situation, and they drop from elite status. TO disappears in Buffalo for a year and blows up in Cinci. The real question in my mind regarding Lloyd is just how stable are things in Denver? I think his situation will likely be stable into next year, but you have both Tebow and the potential threat of a coaching change down the road. By 2012, Lloyd could be nothing more than a WR3 again.

Really tough to assess him long term:

Seeing him at Illinois, I thought he'd be a very very good NFL WR (tremendous athlete that was a very polished WR). I think he continued in his immature ways that he got away with in college & didn't put work forth the work needed to reach his potential. I think he was more concerned with making the highlighting making circus catches than being a consistent force week-in, week-out.

Hope he's grown up (for good and not just for a big payday), but I think it's far from given. He definitely doesn't lack the talent to remain a Top 20 WR over the next few years.

I'd probably give a later first, early 2nd round pick. (A lot of his value is tied to having Orton remaining the QB long term IMO)

Really tough to assess him long term:

Seeing him at Illinois, I thought he'd be a very very good NFL WR (tremendous athlete that was a very polished WR). I think he continued in his immature ways that he got away with in college & didn't put work forth the work needed to reach his potential. I think he was more concerned with making the highlighting making circus catches than being a consistent force week-in, week-out.

Hope he's grown up (for good and not just for a big payday), but I think it's far from given. He definitely doesn't lack the talent to remain a Top 20 WR over the next few years.

I'd probably give a later first, early 2nd round pick. (A lot of his value is tied to having Orton remaining the QB long term IMO)
I'm sorry, but I can't shake the memory of his total body of work, which quite frankly sucks. No way in hell I give a 1st rd pick for him in a dynasty league, no freaking way do I do that.

I can't shake the memory of his total body of work, which quite frankly sucks.
Does that mean he lacked talent or otherwise didn't apply himself in previous years? Or was just in a bad situation? His highlight reel has a couple of very impressive catches. As long as his situation stays favorable in Denver it would surprise me more if he all the sudden started sucking.

My only concern would be that something obviously clicked this year and its not clear if its with Lloyd himself or if he works well with this QB and/or Head Coach. If its the latter, then I would worry how stable the coaching situation is considering Denver is 5-14 since last year's 6-0 start, especially when you consider all the headaches the coach has caused, at least early in his tenure. If Denver is a 5 win team this year, and doesnt really improve next year you could be looking at an entirely different offensive game plan...

How do people view Lloyd now? With the promotion of the RB coach to the interim head coach job, do people think the next 3 games will be like the rest of the season? Now would seem like the time to go after him a a non-playoff team owned him.

I'm leaning on the side that he's still a good bet for next year. I'd definitely pay an early 2nd for him or a very late 1st. Maybe a young WR in the 30-50 range and a draft pick. Any thoughts?

How do people view Lloyd now? With the promotion of the RB coach to the interim head coach job, do people think the next 3 games will be like the rest of the season? Now would seem like the time to go after him a a non-playoff team owned him.I'm leaning on the side that he's still a good bet for next year. I'd definitely pay an early 2nd for him or a very late 1st. Maybe a young WR in the 30-50 range and a draft pick. Any thoughts?
I'll pass and let other go crazy over a very average talent in a great situation. I see an Eddie Royal type crash.

How do people view Lloyd now? With the promotion of the RB coach to the interim head coach job, do people think the next 3 games will be like the rest of the season? Now would seem like the time to go after him a a non-playoff team owned him.I'm leaning on the side that he's still a good bet for next year. I'd definitely pay an early 2nd for him or a very late 1st. Maybe a young WR in the 30-50 range and a draft pick. Any thoughts?
I'll pass and let other go crazy over a very average talent in a great situation. I see an Eddie Royal type crash.
I see that side as well. Certainly with the coaching change, anything is possible. An early 2nd is not much more than a 50/50 bet at becoming relevant. That isn't much different than Lloyd's odds for next year.But, what about these last 3 games this year? Do you think the change affects his potential the rest of the year?ETA - I can't believe there is so little discussion on Orton (top 5 this year) and Lloyd (top 3) since the firing. Just the potential effect this year on the playoffs is huge.

My two cents: there are guys like Lloyd every year. Guys who have been around for a while and never done much and then they have a huge year. Rarely do those guys become consistent studs year in year out. In Lloyd's case, the change in coaching and possible change in QB in the future are not good. I am sure I am in the minority but I am not a believer in Lloyd's long term value. He may still perform ok down the stretch this season, but I would try to sell him as soon as I could.

I'm just hoping he's this year's version of Tampa Antonio Bryant. Stays hot in the playoffs and wins some leagues for his owners, then they(me) should ship him in the offseason.

My concern about Lloyd is that it seems that many of his points have came in garbage time when the Bronco have been down big and are throwing every down.

Da Guru said:
My concern about Lloyd is that it seems that many of his points have came in garbage time when the Bronco have been down big and are throwing every down.
The splits show this to be the case. However, I don't see how that will change in the next few weeks. The Broncos defense stinks.

wow. I hope my leageu mates see Lloyd as most of you. I would easily give a first in the 8-12 range for him. Those that say he lacks talent need to watch some games.

He's last years Miles Austin imo just a few years older. He has got the targets an has made some VERY special catches.

wow. I hope my leageu mates see Lloyd as most of you. I would easily give a first in the 8-12 range for him. Those that say he lacks talent need to watch some games.He's last years Miles Austin imo just a few years older. He has got the targets an has made some VERY special catches.
I agree on most of this myself! Not so much the Miles Austin part, but Lloyd is def here to stay! And I would give a 1.8 or worse for him myself!

wow. I hope my leageu mates see Lloyd as most of you. I would easily give a first in the 8-12 range for him. Those that say he lacks talent need to watch some games.He's last years Miles Austin imo just a few years older. He has got the targets an has made some VERY special catches.
I agree on most of this myself! Not so much the Miles Austin part, but Lloyd is def here to stay! And I would give a 1.8 or worse for him myself!
Wow, you guys must really value those draft picks. What the heck kind of player do you get with the 1.8? Nothing near Lloyd's production for the foreseeable future, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread