What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall asks to be traded from Broncos (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
NFL insider Adam Schefter reported on 850 KOA in Denver that Brandon Marshall asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during their meeting Friday.

Per Schefter, Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to reconsider his stance. Marshall is not expected to back down, however, which means the Broncos are right back where they were with Jay Cutler. Though it's possible that a new contract could assuage Marshall, it's more likely that the receiver will continue to push for a trade. Perhaps the Bears will be interested. Jun. 15 - 3:11 pm et

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL insider Adam Schefter reported on 850 KOA in Denver that Brandon Marshall asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during their meeting Friday.Per Schefter, Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to reconsider his stance. Marshall is not expected to back down, however, which means the Broncos are right back where they were with Jay Cutler. Though it's possible that a new contract could assuage Marshall, it's more likely that the receiver will continue to push for a trade. Perhaps the Bears will be interested. Jun. 15 - 3:11 pm et
They should try to trade him to Philly for Maclin + R.Brown........

NFL insider Adam Schefter reported on 850 KOA in Denver that Brandon Marshall asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during their meeting Friday.

Per Schefter, Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to reconsider his stance. Marshall is not expected to back down, however, which means the Broncos are right back where they were with Jay Cutler. Though it's possible that a new contract could assuage Marshall, it's more likely that the receiver will continue to push for a trade. Perhaps the Bears will be interested. Jun. 15 - 3:11 pm et
I suppose we could dip into our 2015 draft picks..... :lmao:

Yeah, that won't happen. He would have had a better chance of this going down before the draft. But still...holy #### it's got to suck being a Broncos fan these days.

NFL insider Adam Schefter reported on 850 KOA in Denver that Brandon Marshall asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during their meeting Friday.Per Schefter, Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to reconsider his stance. Marshall is not expected to back down, however, which means the Broncos are right back where they were with Jay Cutler. Though it's possible that a new contract could assuage Marshall, it's more likely that the receiver will continue to push for a trade. Perhaps the Bears will be interested. Jun. 15 - 3:11 pm et
Sounds like a win-win. A win for Marshall and a win for the women in Denver.

I suppose we could dip into our 2015 draft picks..... :lmao:
I think the bears part of the quote is just wishful thinking on someone's part. If Marshall wasn't a headcase, Denver would probably get a good return on a trade. However, I just don't see teams trying to outbid each other to trade for and sign this guy long term. The Bears have been one of the "cleaner images" teams in history, and I just don't see a Marshall to Chicago happening.Denver fans, I'm sorry for you guys. You did have a nice run though.

And yet, I keep hearing Broncos fans say how Kyle Orton is being undersold because we haven't seen what he can do with an offensive line like Denver's or with receivers like Marshall and Royal. How is losing Marshall good for the Broncos pray tell?

And yet, I keep hearing Broncos fans say how Kyle Orton is being undersold because we haven't seen what he can do with an offensive line like Denver's or with receivers like Marshall and Royal. How is losing Marshall good for the Broncos pray tell?
I think he was just making a joke...don't know that anybody would say it's a good thing for Denver IF he actually gets traded.

If it weren't so funny, it would be depressing.
:wall: I just finished editing my rankings comment on Marshall five minutes ago to include:
...Unfortunately, he is engaging in a game of chicken with the front office regarding his contract status, refusing to show up for a mandatory OTA during the middle of June, when he really doesn't have much apparent leverage to negotiate a new deal. The guy is an elite talent on the field (when healthy), but he is starting to remind me of Eppie Calvin "Nuke" LaLouche with his boneheaded off-field manuevers. We'll see if he ends this absurd "holdout" soon - if not, back down my WR board he will go.
Wow, just wow. Now I have to go rewrite my analysis and also redo projections for this nut. Where is his agent? Why isn't anyone advising him that this course of action is ill-advised?

:( I just finished editing my rankings comment on Marshall five minutes ago to include:
...Unfortunately, he is engaging in a game of chicken with the front office regarding his contract status, refusing to show up for a mandatory OTA during the middle of June, when he really doesn't have much apparent leverage to negotiate a new deal. The guy is an elite talent on the field (when healthy), but he is starting to remind me of Eppie Calvin "Nuke" LaLouche with his boneheaded off-field manuevers. We'll see if he ends this absurd "holdout" soon - if not, back down my WR board he will go.
Wow, just wow. Now I have to go rewrite my analysis and also redo projections for this nut. Where is his agent? Why isn't anyone advising him that this course of action is ill-advised?
While I don't know the guy, It really seems like Marshall doesn't really listen to advice and just does what he pleases. :shrug: A little off topic, but say Marshall does move on, Would that be a bump for Moreno and Royal in the rankings?

Can anyone imagine a realistic scenario in which he would actually get moved? A player can ask/demand to get traded but it's not often they actually get moved.

Did he give a reason for wanting to be traded?

edit: Looked it up. He's just upset about his contract... I thought maybe he and McDaniels had a fallout. The money issue can and probably will be solved. So this is just posturing by Marshall right now. Not too big a deal, yet.

Was this before or after Orton was named the starter? :(

I still say the likely outcome is Marshall on the field in Denver in 2009, likely with a hefty new contract.

But it's pretty clear that he's not ready to be a good soldier for Josh McDaniels. And here I thought Bill Belichick taught all his assistants the magic of player hypnosis. Guess not. :(

:goodposting: I just finished editing my rankings comment on Marshall five minutes ago to include:
While I don't know the guy, It really seems like Marshall doesn't really listen to advice and just does what he pleases. :thumbup: A little off topic, but say Marshall does move on, Would that be a bump for Moreno and Royal in the rankings?
For Royal, I think yes as he'd get even more targets. However, Moreno might be negatively impacted as the passing attack wouldn't be as strong without Marshall, allowing teams to tighten up their run D vs. Denver.

Can anyone imagine a realistic scenario in which he would actually get moved? A player can ask/demand to get traded but it's not often they actually get moved.
It is Denver and Cutler did draw up the blueprint for this thing with the front office. Marshall just needs to follow it. I can't imagine things went well at the friday meeting if Brandon left to "pack his bags"McD seems like the type that would rather trade a player then butt heads with him

If I was a BB Coordinator, I'd stay there until he fired me or I retired.

Because clearly they don't know how to manage a team or people or players once they get unplugged from The BB Matrix.

2009: $2.198 million, 2010: Free Agent
Looks like he's just trying to secure his future. No one likes to play out their final year of a contract. To much risk if they get injured.
I just think that "demanding to be traded" is like the nuclear option in warfare - the last resort. It seems pretty early in this negotiation to be moving to a demand to be traded, especially when Marshall is already injured/rehabbing a hip surgery. His market value isn't going to be stellar while he's limping around rehabbing his hip...

I still say the likely outcome is Marshall on the field in Denver in 2009, likely with a hefty new contract.But it's pretty clear that he's not ready to be a good soldier for Josh McDaniels. And here I thought Bill Belichick taught all his assistants the magic of player hypnosis. Guess not. :lmao:
Maybe they all start their careers like Belicheck did--geniuses with x's and o's, morons with players and media.

I still say the likely outcome is Marshall on the field in Denver in 2009, likely with a hefty new contract.But it's pretty clear that he's not ready to be a good soldier for Josh McDaniels. And here I thought Bill Belichick taught all his assistants the magic of player hypnosis. Guess not. :thumbdown:
You already forgot about Deion Branch.

Where is his agent? Why isn't anyone advising him that this course of action is ill-advised?
:thumbdown: Why is this "ill-advised?"
I just think that "demanding to be traded" is like the nuclear option in warfare - the last resort. It seems pretty early in this negotiation to be moving to a demand to be traded, especially when Marshall is already injured/rehabbing a hip surgery. His market value isn't going to be stellar while he's limping around rehabbing his hip...

since wer'e speculating, what about the Giants. They were rumored to be interested in Braylon Edwards and wanted to part with a pick and Hixon orManningham.

Maybe the Broncos like Hixon or Manningham more then the Browns.

Still, after all said and done, odds are that Marshall will be with the Broncos. But when one player can force his way out of town by bad behavior and/or dissing the owner, look for others to try a similar route. The Broncos may have opened Pandora's box.

I would think even with his hip and his off field issues Denver could get at least a 2nd rounder for Marshall.

Maybe now that Shanny is gone, Al Davis might give them a call.

Chicago is probably wishful thinking(for both the Bears and Marshall owners) but I can absolutely see they trading him.

If Marshall does leave, I'd expect Royal's value to go up a little and the big winner to be Tony Scheffler. Obviously the big loser would be Orton and it probably would hurt Knowshon too.

since wer'e speculating, what about the Giants. They were rumored to be interested in Braylon Edwards and wanted to part with a pick and Hixon orManningham.

Still, after all said and done, odds are that Marshall will be with the Broncos. But when one player can force his way out of town by bad behavior and/or dissing the owner, look for others to try a similar route. The Broncos may have opened Pandora's box.
I doubt that since they cut him before he became a Giant. Maybe Manningham, but it doesn't really seem like a Giants move, also do you really want Marshall in New York?

I doubt that since they cut him before he became a Giant

. Maybe Manningham, but it doesn't really seem like a Giants move, also do you really want Marshall in New York?
To be fair, that was a different coaching staff and they thought he would clear waivers so they could place him on the practice squad.

2009: $2.198 million, 2010: Free Agent
Looks like he's just trying to secure his future. No one likes to play out their final year of a contract. To much risk if they get injured.
I agree. There has to be more to the story than just him wanting a new contract... but then again we are talking about Brandon Marshall.

I saw an interview with McDaniels on NFL Network last week after Marshall missed the OTA. He seemed like he could care less whether Marshall was there or not. Seems like McDaniels wants to clean house and is shoving these guys out the door behind the scenes.

I suspect it is just contract posturing mixed in with dissatisfaction over not having Cutler throw to him.

I agree with Jason that he will most likely have a DEN uniform on.

With that said, the more I think about it the more I lean toward DEN going into total rebuilding mode and get what they can for Marshall, who clearly will never be satisfied.

Hope for a 2nd round pick and consider yourself lucky.

:goodposting: I just finished editing my rankings comment on Marshall five minutes ago to include:
While I don't know the guy, It really seems like Marshall doesn't really listen to advice and just does what he pleases. :shrug: A little off topic, but say Marshall does move on, Would that be a bump for Moreno and Royal in the rankings?
For Royal, I think yes as he'd get even more targets. However, Moreno might be negatively impacted as the passing attack wouldn't be as strong without Marshall, allowing teams to tighten up their run D vs. Denver.
:thumbdown: Uhhh, I say opposite in regards for Royal. Not having a threat on the other side of him, will allow team's to place their #1 CB or defensive pass covering scheme against Royal and Royal only. Thus, his margin for receptions will become slim. A WR like Royal needs another body/threat to allow him to get one on one matchups to be effective. Nobody should point out on one or few game stats from the past season. We are talking about going into a season, where D Coord's know that he is the only real threat and has seen enough tape on him now to game plan against.Agreed the unless any of the DEN RB's can catch it like a WR, they would have a tuff time as you pointed out their passing game opens up their running game. If they show to be sure handed, then their value could increase nicely/significantly in PPR leagues.

Well the Bronco's already traded their best player, now maybe they'll trade their 2nd best one in the name of "team unity". Funny stuff. Looks like McDaniels has made quite an impression....

since wer'e speculating, what about the Giants. They were rumored to be interested in Braylon Edwards and wanted to part with a pick and Hixon orManningham. Maybe the Broncos like Hixon or Manningham more then the Browns.
1) Granted, it was the last regime, but the Broncos cut Hixon which is how he ended up on the Giants2) This was before the Giants drafted Nicks. I have to believe they wouldn't have drafted him if they had Marshall - and the Edwards pick involved that or the 2nd round pick.Just seems unlikely to me at this point.

I'm sure he's trying to negotiate a way to get paid NOW. He will have far less negotiating power at the end of this season from declining numbers due to recovering from hip surgery and a new yet inferior QB throwing him the ball.

Then again, maybe he just doesn't like McDaniels and the state of the Broncos...

*edit grammar fix*

Banger said:
Well the Bronco's already traded their best player, now maybe they'll trade their 2nd best one in the name of "team unity". Funny stuff. Looks like McDaniels has made quite an impression....
Why stop there? Maybe they can get the Browns defensive for him.

Users who are viewing this thread