What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall asks to be traded from Broncos (1 Viewer)

T Man said:
since wer'e speculating, what about the Giants. They were rumored to be interested in Braylon Edwards and wanted to part with a pick and Hixon orManningham. Maybe the Broncos like Hixon or Manningham more then the Browns.Still, after all said and done, odds are that Marshall will be with the Broncos. But when one player can force his way out of town by bad behavior and/or dissing the owner, look for others to try a similar route. The Broncos may have opened Pandora's box.
:goodposting: I'd like to see a 1:1 for Boldin or Braylon. Won't happen.

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :shrug:
This thread is about Brandon Marshall.
Seems relative enough to this thread. Teams don't generally don't have their two best players demand trades if things are running smoothly. Marshall may be an idiot, but I really get the feeling McDaniels is just full of himself and trying to prove he is some sort of "guru"

kremenull said:
Max Power said:
NFL insider Adam Schefter reported on 850 KOA in Denver that Brandon Marshall asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during their meeting Friday.Per Schefter, Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to reconsider his stance. Marshall is not expected to back down, however, which means the Broncos are right back where they were with Jay Cutler. Though it's possible that a new contract could assuage Marshall, it's more likely that the receiver will continue to push for a trade. Perhaps the Bears will be interested. Jun. 15 - 3:11 pm et
They should try to trade him to Philly for Maclin + R.Brown........
or to Philly for Curtis and Maclin.then Philly gets the stud WR they always wanted and the Broncos get to go with a Spread formation with 3 very decent WR's and a stud rookie RB in the backfield.the other option is to send to Dallas for Roy Williams and a draft pick or player.

Mesmashu said:
Did he give a reason for wanting to be traded?edit: Looked it up. He's just upset about his contract... I thought maybe he and McDaniels had a fallout. The money issue can and probably will be solved. So this is just posturing by Marshall right now. Not too big a deal, yet.
well, the new coach in Denver came from the organization of the Pats. That organization has a history of trading away selfish players. If this is a trait that McDaniels has, he will be trying to swing a trade to get rid of this guy while his value is high and before he becomes a cancer in the dressing room.

Last edited by a moderator:
kremenull said:
Max Power said:
NFL insider Adam Schefter reported on 850 KOA in Denver that Brandon Marshall asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during their meeting Friday.Per Schefter, Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to reconsider his stance. Marshall is not expected to back down, however, which means the Broncos are right back where they were with Jay Cutler. Though it's possible that a new contract could assuage Marshall, it's more likely that the receiver will continue to push for a trade. Perhaps the Bears will be interested. Jun. 15 - 3:11 pm et
or to Philly for Curtis and Maclin.then Philly gets the stud WR they always wanted and the Broncos get to go with a Spread formation with 3 very decent WR's and a stud rookie RB in the backfield.the other option is to send to Dallas for Roy Williams and a draft pick or player.
Denver biggest weakness is still the defensive line. Philly IMO has the most depth there. Denver should try to get a receiver and a DT. I wonder if Denver could use a player like Trevor Laws.

Nothing much to it.

McDaniels probably pulled out his renowned people skills and told him: "Nobody has a secure position. Anyone can be traded."

Ain't nobody going to mess with Dork McDaniels.

It's probably a wise move, for his next contract, of course. Orton doesn't have the accuracy/arm to take full advantage of Marshall. Nevertheless, opposing GM's know what kind of talent Marshall has, and even if he puts up 1000 and 6TD's, which is probably what he will put up, at best, with Orton throwing the ball, he will get a big payday from somebody.

This is a mess. A new contract would probably make all of this go away. The problem is that BM has so many off the field issues they are not going to want to pay him the kind of money his on the field performance deserves. So it would seem he is on the way out.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. How many teams in the league have a worse QB than Orton? Not many. Just about anywhere he goes would be an improvement over Denver. That being said, he would need to just about live with the QB from the trade to opening day to get the timing down and build that rapport...

kremenull said:
Max Power said:
NFL insider Adam Schefter reported on 850 KOA in Denver that Brandon Marshall asked Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade during their meeting Friday.

Per Schefter, Bowlen asked Marshall to take some time to reconsider his stance. Marshall is not expected to back down, however, which means the Broncos are right back where they were with Jay Cutler. Though it's possible that a new contract could assuage Marshall, it's more likely that the receiver will continue to push for a trade. Perhaps the Bears will be interested. Jun. 15 - 3:11 pm et
or to Philly for Curtis and Maclin.then Philly gets the stud WR they always wanted and the Broncos get to go with a Spread formation with 3 very decent WR's and a stud rookie RB in the backfield.

the other option is to send to Dallas for Roy Williams and a draft pick or player.
Denver biggest weakness is still the defensive line. Philly IMO has the most depth there. Denver should try to get a receiver and a DT. I wonder if Denver could use a player like Trevor Laws.
Probably, but I can't envision Reid letting go of a young D-line talent like Laws. This is aside from the fact that I can't see them going after Marshall either. Denver would have to let him go cheap if Philly gets involved at all. Besides, Reid and crew were falling all over themselves that they were able to land Maclin.

Nothing much to it.McDaniels probably pulled out his renowned people skills and told him: "Nobody has a secure position. Anyone can be traded."Ain't nobody going to mess with Dork McDaniels.
Well, you can say what you like about the guy, but as a new coach if he lets a guy like Marshall Run all over his authority he wont be there very long as he will lose the respect of the team.The right move is to stand up to Marshall and force him to back down (or trade him) it sets the right tone in the dressing room and the team will know they cant stand up to the organization and get away with it.

If this truly has nothing to do with Marshall's and McDaniels relationship then McDaniels can take himself out of the picture completely. This is a contract dispute that should be handled by the GM/Owner and Marshall's agent.

MickeyD can and should stick with coaching and let this thing play out by itself. He should take the "no comment" stance and get on with business.

Bankerguy said:
Max Power said:
now I'm just waiting for the Dallas fans to jump in here and ask Jerry Jones to go get this kid...
We're here....and PASS.
So an organization that takes TO is above Marshall? :goodposting:
let me answer that...NO. And I know my symbol is HOU but I live in Big D and they're my NFC team.We would love Marshall. Actually all of Texas would love Marshall. Especially since the Boys have a knack for trading away lots of draft picks...what about a 1/3 for Marshall lol just like Roy?HOU doesn;t need him, he does the same thing that AJ already does...althouhg they could have 2 really dominant guys plus Walter in slot and Daniels...................

Bunch of bad info in this thread.

1. He's not a FA after 2009. He's a RFA. When a player is entering his 4th year in the NFL, he's not a FA when his contract is up.

2. One thing that Marshall was upset about that hasn't been mentioned is he feels the DEN doctors misdiagnosed his hip injury. He is worth less because he is rehabbing his hip? Well, he blames the DEN medical staff for that.

A new contract is one thing, asking to leave town is another. The contract thing is an easy fix for a team, even one with Marshall's baggage. You install some extra conduct clauses, ensuring the return of bonus money, etc. Based on on-the-field, it's pretty clear Marshall is worth an extension. Even with the girlfriend stuff, I bet Denver would discuss an extension. He's a phenomenal talent.

It is also possible that Marshall doesn't like the direction of the team. A lot of other people have doubts, why shouldn't a player? Seems early in the process to be asking for a trade, I tend to believe that Marshall wants out, and would rather get a new deal from someone else.

If Marshall feels wronged by the DEN medical staff (and that might be big, doctors are kind of important), and underpaid, maybe he is doing the smart thing. Because next year, there is no guarantee of a big payday. DEN could theoretically just offer a one year tender. Marshall could sit out with no penalty if he wanted, but long holdouts or sitting out seasons isn't the best scenario for Marshall.

RudeDog said:
iSnitch said:
Can anyone imagine a realistic scenario in which he would actually get moved? A player can ask/demand to get traded but it's not often they actually get moved.
I saw an interview with McDaniels on NFL Network last week after Marshall missed the OTA. He seemed like he could care less whether Marshall was there or not. Seems like McDaniels wants to clean house and is shoving these guys out the door behind the scenes.
Anyone know when McDaniels book, 'One and Done' comes out on the newsstands? This dude is well on his way to thoroughly dismantling the offense to pair up with a horrid defense. No doubt Bowlen is wondering how he didn't sniff out this insanity of McDaniels during the interview process.

RudeDog said:
iSnitch said:
Can anyone imagine a realistic scenario in which he would actually get moved? A player can ask/demand to get traded but it's not often they actually get moved.
I saw an interview with McDaniels on NFL Network last week after Marshall missed the OTA. He seemed like he could care less whether Marshall was there or not. Seems like McDaniels wants to clean house and is shoving these guys out the door behind the scenes.
Anyone know when McDaniels book, 'One and Done' comes out on the newsstands? This dude is well on his way to thoroughly dismantling the offense to pair up with a horrid defense. No doubt Bowlen is wondering how he didn't sniff out this insanity of McDaniels during the interview process.
i don't disagree but he's not the first coach to insist on making it his team and mess it up

Donnybrook said:
Max Power said:
Was this before or after Orton was named the starter? :thumbup:
I also IMMEDIATELY thought Orton... watching him here in Chicago- the guy can't throw farther than 10-15 yards.Marshall must see/know that.

must be rough to be a bronco fan these days
Being a Bronco fan for the past 40 years, I cannot remember a year that I want over more than this one. This year is going to be a waste with everyone making excuses, when everyone knows what the problem is and exactly the point the train came off the rails.I am a fan so I CAN'T actively pull against my team, but there is that part of me that says, "Well, another loss and another nail in McDork's coffin." I still think that if Marshall goes, they should just complete the fire sale and offer Bailey out. What is the point in keeping him if Denver is going to be competing for the last place in the division? He is getting older and probably has 2-3 prime years left. Trade him while he has value. ( I know we talked about that in another thread)I really, really am feeling lost about this year, After 20 plus years of playing FF, I was getting a little burnt and was thinking of scaling things back to one money league and just watching my Broncos, but now I am actually looking to join a 4th money league or maybe join a fantasy basketball league for the 1st time in many years. It just is sad and I just cannot remember a year, that I am not already planning my opening day party.

To the Ravens rumor:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/15/...l-to-baltimore/

Not sure I agree with a 1st and 3rd value for Marshall, in spite of the ROY overpay....
The Ravens would be very interesting. A Super Bowl caliber defense and an underrated offense that could become very good with a play maker like Marshall to help their young QB. They seem like they are only a piece away and Marshall could absolutely be that piece. Also, isn't Derrick Mason 50-50 for training camp? The need is definitely there, and I would think the Ravens leaders could keep Marshall in check. It'd be a pretty dangerous passing game with Marshall and Clayton outside and Mason in the slot.1st and a 3rd is too high, I think a more realistic trade is a 2 and a 4, although a 2 and a 3 is possible as well, I just don't see a 1st rounder being involved with all of Marshall's off field question marks. Maybe a 2nd rounder and Demetrius Williams?

I realize everything is just rumors right now, but as of now I'd guess the chances of Marshall being a Bronco this season are below 50%.

For the Broncos sake, I hope this is just a money issue (that seems easily resolved).

While I don't agree with the approach, it makes perfect sense for Marshall to be adamant about getting a new deal. Holding out (if it comes to it) doesn't make sense in MLB or the NBA, but I'd never fault an NFL player for holding out for more money. That's the trade off that comes with having a league in which the players union is so weak.

I can't under any circumstances imagine the broncos would actually trade him.

For the Broncos sake, I hope this is just a money issue (that seems easily resolved).

I don't agree with the approach, it makes perfect sense for Marshall to be adamant about getting a new deal. Holding out (if it comes to it) doesn't make sense in MLB or the NBA, but I'd never fault an NFL player for holding out for more money. That's the trade off that comes with having a league in which the players union is so weak.

I can't under any circumstances imagine the broncos would actually trade him.
I tend to agree with this. I assume his value is pretty low right now considering the off the field issues he is facing. Couple that with his current injury and it is hard to think that Denver would be able to get fair value either in a player-for-player deal or in a deal for a future pick. That being said, he is not in camp and learning the new and complex offense with his teammates. I think that alone will hurt the Denver offense.

The saddest thing about all this is all the frontrunning fair weather fans who are already jumping off bridges months before we've even gotten to week 1.

If QBs and WRs should get the benefit of the doubt until year 3, maybe you guys could at least give a coach until week 3.

The saddest thing about all this is all the frontrunning fair weather fans who are already jumping off bridges months before we've even gotten to week 1.If QBs and WRs should get the benefit of the doubt until year 3, maybe you guys could at least give a coach until week 3.
at this rate he won't have any good QB's or WR's left.

Being a Bronco fan for the past 40 years, I cannot remember a year that I want over more than this one. This year is going to be a waste with everyone making excuses, when everyone knows what the problem is and exactly the point the train came off the rails.I am a fan so I CAN'T actively pull against my team, but there is that part of me that says, "Well, another loss and another nail in McDork's coffin." I still think that if Marshall goes, they should just complete the fire sale and offer Bailey out. What is the point in keeping him if Denver is going to be competing for the last place in the division? He is getting older and probably has 2-3 prime years left. Trade him while he has value. ( I know we talked about that in another thread)I really, really am feeling lost about this year, After 20 plus years of playing FF, I was getting a little burnt and was thinking of scaling things back to one money league and just watching my Broncos, but now I am actually looking to join a 4th money league or maybe join a fantasy basketball league for the 1st time in many years. It just is sad and I just cannot remember a year, that I am not already planning my opening day party.
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

To the Ravens rumor:

Not sure I agree with a 1st and 3rd value for Marshall, in spite of the ROY overpay....
The Ravens would be very interesting. A Super Bowl caliber defense and an underrated offense that could become very good with a play maker like Marshall to help their young QB. They seem like they are only a piece away and Marshall could absolutely be that piece. Also, isn't Derrick Mason 50-50 for training camp? The need is definitely there, and I would think the Ravens leaders could keep Marshall in check. It'd be a pretty dangerous passing game with Marshall and Clayton outside and Mason in the slot.1st and a 3rd is too high, I think a more realistic trade is a 2 and a 4, although a 2 and a 3 is possible as well, I just don't see a 1st rounder being involved with all of Marshall's off field question marks. Maybe a 2nd rounder and Demetrius Williams?

I realize everything is just rumors right now, but as of now I'd guess the chances of Marshall being a Bronco this season are below 50%.
2nd and Demerius Williams? Why in the hell would the Broncos do that?If Roy Williams can get a 1st and 3rd half way through the season than Brandon Marshall should get the same thing (younger and better) despite his off the field problems..

I am not that despondent - especially over this. As the last year has begun to unfold regarding Marshall I was pretty much beginning to write him off as a long term answer. He is a ME player - and one who beats women - and gets into car wrecks - and tries to pull dumb ### stunts on the field(see Cleveland game) - and fumbles and drops a lot of passes. He couldn't be counted on whether it was Shanahan or McDaniel. You all may love that upside but I think FF stats makes us forget the downside. This guy is Plaxico Burress partII - I am expecting some gun play issue any day now. So if there is someway we can get someone to overpay for him lets do it. Get some defensive line help and get that side of the ball fixed. With the state of the Defense even if they kept Cutler and Marshall - the Broncos were in big trouble already with the schedule they have for 2009.

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :bs:
Seems relative enough to this thread. Teams don't generally don't have their two best players demand trades if things are running smoothly. Marshall may be an idiot, but I really get the feeling McDaniels is just full of himself and trying to prove he is some sort of "guru"
Jay Cutler is a baby and Brandon Marshall is a headcase. Say what you want about McDaniels, but it's really not fair to criticize him without badmouthing the two jackasses who have gone out of their way to make things difficult on the first-year head coach.

The saddest thing about all this is all the frontrunning fair weather fans who are already jumping off bridges months before we've even gotten to week 1.If QBs and WRs should get the benefit of the doubt until year 3, maybe you guys could at least give a coach until week 3.
:bs:

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :thumbup:
Jay Cutler is a baby and Brandon Marshall is a headcase. Say what you want about McDaniels, but it's really not fair to criticize him without badmouthing the two jackasses who have gone out of their way to make things difficult on the first-year head coach.
The common theme here is that McDaniels is saying something to these players for them to demand trades. McDaniels seems to lack the people skills needed to be a headcoach. I don't think either player has gone out of his way to "make things difficult" on the HC. This is purely a result of McDaniels management skills.

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :popcorn:
Welcome to being a head coach..he took a hardline and he's getting it right back. McDaniels problem is nbot unique, every team has headcases/crybaby's/etc. and its his job to handle them.

Wow, talk about a team imploding. The only player on the Bronco's that deserves a trade is Champ. The guy has been top 3 at his position for his entire career and deserves to play for a contender in his final seasons. No way they move or resign Marshall to an extension... he's a semi-injured ticking time bomb that is signed to a very cheap contract. Which in so many words means he plays for his 900K and they let him go next year when they don't match what Al Davis offers him as a RFA (Not joking, but that's if Al Davis makes it till next season).

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :P
Welcome to being a head coach..he took a hardline and he's getting it right back. McDaniels problem is nbot unique, every team has headcases/crybaby's/etc. and its his job to handle them.
The Patriots offense is all he knows. He's trying to re-create them in Denver and i in way over his head.Time to trade Champ, Eddie Royal and Scheffler.

To the Ravens rumor:

As a Marshall and Flacco owner I would like that.

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :mellow:
Yep. McDaniels may be the biggest ####### ever

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :lmao:
:confused: There are always headcases on every team. I don't remember either of these guys demanding trades last offseason. If it were just Marshall this year, then I think you could chalk it up to him trying to get a new contract. After trading away a franchise/potential franchise QB, I am more inclined to think that McDaniels made some errors, potentially job threatening to himself errors.Honestly, I don't remember ever seeing a first year coach having this type of personnel issues. While we still have to see what McDaniels does, you can't just ignore what has happened. Does anyone else have any examples like Denver this year of first year coaches having this much trouble before training camp started? It seems historically bad to me, especially if Marshall leaves.

The Patriots offense is all he knows. He's trying to re-create them in Denver and i in way over his head.Time to trade Champ, Eddie Royal and Scheffler.
:goodposting:A lot of overreaction and jumping to conclusions in here.Anyone catch where Marshall said his issue is with the team training staff?From what I have read, the issue was a supposed misdiagnosis of his hip injury by the team staff and he's unhappy with his contract. What do either of those factors have to do with Josh McDaniels?

If the broncos can get a couple more high draft picks out of this the organization is going to be in very good shape for a very long time.

:lmao:A lot of overreaction and jumping to conclusions in here.Anyone catch where Marshall said his issue is with the team training staff?From what I have read, the issue was a supposed misdiagnosis of his hip injury by the team staff and he's unhappy with his contract. What do either of those factors have to do with Josh McDaniels?
:shrug: Everyone wants to dump on McDaniels, but there is nothing to indicate that he is inolved. Who is involved: The owner (maybe), the training staff (maybe), the fear of not having a top notch pass first offense (maybe), a very talented but troubled wide receiver (definitely).But everyone needs a little patience. While Marshall may be willing to give up a small amount of his money to miss OTAs, he would have to give up a lot more to miss training camp.THhe fines are bigger and if he does not report within 30 days of the start of the season he loses an accrued season -- even if he plays later that year. He needs the accrued year to put him closer to free agency.Plus as was mentioned above, he is still just an RFA after the year. The Broncos would tender him -- leaving him stuck again.Marshall has no leverage at this point. He has a track record of problems with the law -- justified or not (depending upon your take). THe Broncos must be patient to either allow this to work out or to garner sufficient interest to get a maximum deal -- which in my opinion will not come close to the 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams.

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :goodposting:
I completely agree here. McD is the villain in the Cutler thing but as soon as it was leaked that they were pursuing Cassel and Cassel was traded to KC Cutler and his agent were in the owners office with their hands out. They knew it would be $20 million to sign Cassel and they wanted the same amount. Not a good move to go to the team that wanted to replace you and ask for the money they were going to pay your replacement. They specifically asked for a "commitment from the team," and the team said maybe after this year. Cutler took his ball and went home, literally. McD could've handled it better. True. But that was more interpersonal in my eyes than in terms of running a football team. Marshall is a head case and is a biscuit away from getting suspended big time. If I'm a new coach, I remove all malcontents immediately in order to have unity in the locker room.

Sweetness_34 said:
And here I thought it was all Cutler's fault regarding his departure from the Donks.... :bag:
McD could've handled it better. True. But that was more interpersonal in my eyes than in terms of running a football team. Marshall is a head case and is a biscuit away from getting suspended big time. If I'm a new coach, I remove all malcontents immediately in order to have unity in the locker room.
I agree with this. I have no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that these issues would've come up sooner or later with guys like Cutler and Marshall. When a new coach comes in, it's pretty common for them to tell everyone to get on board or hit the bricks. That happens all the time. McDaniels may end being a total flop in Denver, but these moves look like ones of a new coach trying to build a new program, which requires weeding out those that are not on board.

Users who are viewing this thread