What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breastfeeding (1 Viewer)

'Otis said:
Whatever we do here gang, let's be sure and make parenting as tedious and overanalyzed a thing as we possibly can. We wouldn't want this to start seeming like fun or anything.
Is being informed as possible about something that's pretty important something that automatically diminishes fun for you? I'm jumping to conclusions yeah, but that's what it sounds like.

'Otis said:
Whatever we do here gang, let's be sure and make parenting as tedious and overanalyzed a thing as we possibly can. We wouldn't want this to start seeming like fun or anything.
Is being informed as possible about something that's pretty important something that automatically diminishes fun for you? I'm jumping to conclusions yeah, but that's what it sounds like.
We're not talking about putting a man on Mars here.

Have you guys been employing the new Shifkin-Plotzky Technique? If you're not, you've effectively ensured your kid will spend between 2-4 years in prison.

It's all the rage.

While I agree that formula seems to be a decent replacement and I'm not going to be critical of anyone who is forced or decides to use it, I find it absurd to be absolutely certain it is as good or better than natural breast milk. First, you have to believe that science knows everything about nutrition. Secondly, you have the believe that Abbott and Mead Johnson are using the best science available to manufacture their product and not taking any shortcuts in the name of profits. Considering Similac and Enfamil are not identical formulations, they either are not both using the best science available or the best science available is not 100% conclusive.

While I agree that formula seems to be a decent replacement and I'm not going to be critical of anyone who is forced or decides to use it, I find it absurd to be absolutely certain it is as good or better than natural breast milk. First, you have to believe that science knows everything about nutrition. Secondly, you have the believe that Abbott and Mead Johnson are using the best science available to manufacture their product and not taking any shortcuts in the name of profits. Considering Similac and Enfamil are not identical formulations, they either are not both using the best science available or the best science available is not 100% conclusive.
How many armchair science degrees do we have in here collectively? May need to fire up a poll.

How many armchair science degrees do we have in here collectively? May need to fire up a poll.
This is how you know you've got nothing more to add to the discussion, kids. Take notes.

My wife breast fed the kids until between one and two years old and they have never been sick, are both smarter than me, and both are over 95% in height. They are six and two years old. It's probably just a coincidence though.

My wife breast fed the kids until between one and two years old and they have never been sick, are both smarter than me, and both are over 95% in height. They are six and two years old. It's probably just a coincidence though.
You're right. It is. You're mistaking results with causation.

There's nothing wrong with formula. How else are children going get accustomed to a lifetime of fake, processed, fortified foods? May as well start them off with fake milk too.

This is how you know you've got nothing more to add to the discussion, kids. Take notes.
:rolleyes:

Since you are uninterested in any medical studies, perhaps you should just head over to the Enfamil or Similac websites. When the folks making the formula freely admit nothing beats breast milk, I don't think there is much controversy over which is preferred (where possible/practical). That's how decided to breast feed, by reading information booklets from the formula manufacturers. We kept noticing how they were making it clear they were the 2nd best thing for your baby. Are we talking nominal differences here? :shrug: All I know is the same result for every study, in every measurable category. The information is out there for anyone who has an open mind and wants to learn.Not sure the "it was fine for me, didn't hurt me growing up" argument is deeply rooted in logic. Gloria James abandoned LeBron on a regular basis. He turned out pretty much OK.That said, you can never, ever, tell someone else what is the right way to raise their child. Unless you're a FBG with a PhD in early childhood development. Pretty sure the Moops is an artist, not in the medical arts.Kind of silly to make value judgements over child rearing decisions. We're all doing the best we can. I'm probably leaving a huge carbon footprint using disposable diapers. Fairly certain the cloth diaper service folks are getting it right, and I'm not. Forget about organic everything; I can't even get the important ones right. I've got a top ten organic foods list posted on the fridge. Unfortunately I rarely look at it. In fact, it's on the Manhattan refrigerator, while we're on the east end for the summer. I know there is no way to justify not doing it. /badparenttoorant

He has to defend his wifes honor. Isn't it it so sweet!

Hey look at me I have a Manhattan apartment and a house in the Hamptons?
Can't afford that side.Shelter Island rental. Month last year, Memorial Day to Labor Day this year.Update your notebook.Oh, and it's catch the morning train or wait until lunch out here. So no more complaining about the once an hour LIRR service, mmkay?

I don't think formula folks will like that much better.This dude is essentially saying, "Breast-fed babies are slightly healthier, but it's not because of the milk. It's because women who have to use formula have an inferior womb".

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure the "it was fine for me, didn't hurt me growing up" argument is deeply rooted in logic. Gloria James abandoned LeBron on a regular basis. He turned out pretty much OK. /badparenttoorant
Yes but if she breastfed him for at least 12 months, maybe he wouldn't shrink at the end of games and their bond would be stronger and she'd not sleep with his teammates.

Not sure the "it was fine for me, didn't hurt me growing up" argument is deeply rooted in logic. Gloria James abandoned LeBron on a regular basis. He turned out pretty much OK. /badparenttoorant
Yes but if she breastfed him for at least 12 months, maybe he wouldn't shrink at the end of games and their bond would be stronger and she'd not sleep with his teammates.
Alot of people don't know this, but women who breast-feed are 83% less likely to bang with their childrens' co-workers.

I don't think formula folks will like that much better.This dude is essentially saying, "Breast-fed babies are slightly healthier, but it's not because of the milk. It's because women who have to use formula have an inferior womb".
It's not saying that all women who use formula have related health issues, it's saying that the population of breast feeders is healthier, on average, which skews the numbers.

Since you are uninterested in any medical studies, perhaps you should just head over to the Enfamil or Similac websites. When the folks making the formula freely admit nothing beats breast milk, I don't think there is much controversy over which is preferred (where possible/practical). That's how decided to breast feed, by reading information booklets from the formula manufacturers. We kept noticing how they were making it clear they were the 2nd best thing for your baby. Are we talking nominal differences here? :shrug: All I know is the same result for every study, in every measurable category. The information is out there for anyone who has an open mind and wants to learn.Not sure the "it was fine for me, didn't hurt me growing up" argument is deeply rooted in logic. Gloria James abandoned LeBron on a regular basis. He turned out pretty much OK.That said, you can never, ever, tell someone else what is the right way to raise their child. Unless you're a FBG with a PhD in early childhood development. Pretty sure the Moops is an artist, not in the medical arts.Kind of silly to make value judgements over child rearing decisions. We're all doing the best we can. I'm probably leaving a huge carbon footprint using disposable diapers. Fairly certain the cloth diaper service folks are getting it right, and I'm not. Forget about organic everything; I can't even get the important ones right. I've got a top ten organic foods list posted on the fridge. Unfortunately I rarely look at it. In fact, it's on the Manhattan refrigerator, while we're on the east end for the summer. I know there is no way to justify not doing it. /badparenttoorant
:goodposting: There are tons of issues where there are degrees of good, better, best parenting styles and every couple has to figure out what works for them given time and energy limitations. Just because breastfeeding is better, it doesn't make formula bad or evil. Until you've spent every day with a child, you have no business telling that parent what they should or shouldn't do IMO.

Hey, it's her body. She can do what she likes with it.
Yeah, it's also a huge benefit to the child that came out of that body. I think too many people put their own crap before their children's well being. Just don't understand people not wanting to do everything possible to make their child as healthy as possible.

My wife wasn't able to and it killed her not to be able to provide that for our son.

Yeah, it's also a huge benefit to the child that came out of that body. I think too many people put their own crap before their children's well being. Just don't understand people not wanting to do everything possible to make their child as healthy as possible.

My wife wasn't able to and it killed her not to be able to provide that for our son.
He'll be fine, Worried Wanda.

Can we stop with the exchanges of wiki links and get back to bashing the crappy parents in here?

By the way, are we gonna get away from making our assumptions sound like confirmed science in here, or will we just keep up with the freaked-out parent hyperbole?Yeah, I've got an idea -- let's all keep making up scientific facts in our own minds and then criticize others for not following them. I'll start.

You guys are doing your children a MASSIVE disservice if your wife doesn't drink a glass of wine each evening in her 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

Yeah, he's fine - bigger than his 8 year old cousin at 4 1/2. It was sad for us/her not to be able to do this, so it does irk me when women don't even try to do this for their children, or seemingly not even consider it.

You seem to be fine with the scientifically engineered stuff, which is fine. I think you would be very hard pressed to find a peds doctor that wasn't 100% fully on board with the breast feeding and had it high on the things that are important to focus on. One of the few things seemingly pushed at the hospital and were careful to help with getting that connection with the mom and baby. This isn't new aged hippy ####.

The 'I turned out fine' stuff doesn't fly with me when I am making decisions. My parents smoked in the car with me in it - I turned out fairly OK, but it doesn't mean I would to the same or would be willing to take the chance at harming my kid. I just don't get why somebody wouldn't do this unless they couldn't medically, but I am not going to preach to parents on the street or anything.

'Otis said:
My wife and I always feel bad for the parents that have to do all this pumping and planning and struggling worrying about feeding their babies. We have a supply of formula in the house, spares in the trunk, bottles everywhere, and we go where we want, when we want. Our days don't have to be mapped out in advance. By the same token, unlike these geeky new age parenting nerds, we didn't keep her sequestered from the world for three months. A week after she was born we walked her over to our favorite brunch spot in Brooklyn. We take her all over the place. She's well adjusted to people and noise and we think living life will make her a happier and more social baby. Oh and my wife doesn't have to awkwardly whip her boobs out at family parties.
So glad to read that haven't a child didn't effect you guys being able to do all the stuff you did before that. God forbid you have to give up going to your favorite brunch spot or have to plan out a feeding for your kid. Who wants that? ;)

I think this is blown way out of proportion.With my first kid, my wife went into emergency surgery right after delivery. Since my daughter was hungry, the hospital gave her a bottle.When my wife recovered, she tried very hard to get my daughter to breastfeed. But my daughter liked the sweetness that formula provided and she refused the breast.It devastated my wife. She thought she wasn't doing her job as a mom. But it was horrible hearing a newborn cry out for food due to hunger.So it was feed her formula or just not let her eat. Did we make the right choice? :rolleyes:She is now a very healthy 7 1/2 year old that is 52" tall and weighs about 65 lbs. Will be entering 3rd grade at the age of 7.Has a great bond with my wife, etc.I really think people that look down on moms who choose not to breastfeed need to find something else to complain about.
:goodposting: Some people need to mind their own business as well.

Yeah, he's fine - bigger than his 8 year old cousin at 4 1/2. It was sad for us/her not to be able to do this, so it does irk me when women don't even try to do this for their children, or seemingly not even consider it.

You seem to be fine with the scientifically engineered stuff, which is fine. I think you would be very hard pressed to find a peds doctor that wasn't 100% fully on board with the breast feeding and had it high on the things that are important to focus on. One of the few things seemingly pushed at the hospital and were careful to help with getting that connection with the mom and baby. This isn't new aged hippy ####.

The 'I turned out fine' stuff doesn't fly with me when I am making decisions. My parents smoked in the car with me in it - I turned out fairly OK, but it doesn't mean I would to the same or would be willing to take the chance at harming my kid. I just don't get why somebody wouldn't do this unless they couldn't medically, but I am not going to preach to parents on the street or anything.
I'm sorry we irked you. I hope you one day get over this deep and painful wound of your child having to eat --- GASP -- man-made food!Will your kid be heading to the organic produce store exclusively from here to all eternity?

'Otis said:
My wife and I always feel bad for the parents that have to do all this pumping and planning and struggling worrying about feeding their babies. We have a supply of formula in the house, spares in the trunk, bottles everywhere, and we go where we want, when we want. Our days don't have to be mapped out in advance. By the same token, unlike these geeky new age parenting nerds, we didn't keep her sequestered from the world for three months. A week after she was born we walked her over to our favorite brunch spot in Brooklyn. We take her all over the place. She's well adjusted to people and noise and we think living life will make her a happier and more social baby. Oh and my wife doesn't have to awkwardly whip her boobs out at family parties.
So glad to read that haven't a child didn't effect you guys being able to do all the stuff you did before that. God forbid you have to give up going to your favorite brunch spot or have to plan out a feeding for your kid. Who wants that? ;)
When you had your kid down in the dark bunker for the first 3 months of his life with mozart in the background and a parenting vid going on the ol' VCR, doing everything you could to engineer the perfect baby, were you deciding what color tie he wears during his presidential inauguration speech?

Another link.

Dr. Carlsen's basic presumption, that breast feeding and formula feeding will be equally valuable to your baby, may or may not be entirely correct, but I do agree that there is not a great deal of difference between the two. If there were alarming differences, in all the years that formula has existed, then the FDA would have done something about it by now. Those studies that find one is better than the other haven't found much of anything at all. If you choose formula, you are NOT hurting your child's development.
Effing doctors! :hot:

If you want to ignore the evidence that breast milk is best, then go for it. But let's not pretend that the evidence is flimsy or that there's some controversy out there. There isn't.

AAP policy statement on breastfeeding

Read as much or as little of that as you want, but there are definite benefits to breastfeeding and, unless contraindicated, will ALWAYS be recommended by a healthcare professional. Now, calling someone a bad parent for not doing so is most definitely extreme, but if you choose to formula feed for whatever reason (often for convenience), just accept that decision you made and don't try and argue that it's really not gonna hurt him or there's no evidence it will help him.

Although economic, cultural, and political pressures often confounddecisions about infant feeding, the AAP firmly adheres to theposition that breastfeeding ensures the best possible healthas well as the best developmental and psychosocial outcomesfor the infant. Enthusiastic support and involvement of pediatriciansin the promotion and practice of breastfeeding is essentialto the achievement of optimal infant and child health, growth,and development.

I think you would be very hard pressed to find a peds doctor that wasn't 100% fully on board with the breast feeding and had it high on the things that are important to focus on.
Our Yale-educated doctor didn't think it was a big deal either way. We weren't all that hard-pressed to find her. :shrug:

If you want to ignore the evidence that breast milk is best, then go for it. But let's not pretend that the evidence is flimsy or that there's some controversy out there. There isn't.

AAP policy statement on breastfeeding

Read as much or as little of that as you want, but there are definite benefits to breastfeeding and, unless contraindicated, will ALWAYS be recommended by a healthcare professional. Now, calling someone a bad parent for not doing so is most definitely extreme, but if you choose to formula feed for whatever reason (often for convenience), just accept that decision you made and don't try and argue that it's really not gonna hurt him or there's no evidence it will help him.

Although economic, cultural, and political pressures often confounddecisions about infant feeding, the AAP firmly adheres to theposition that breastfeeding ensures the best possible healthas well as the best developmental and psychosocial outcomesfor the infant. Enthusiastic support and involvement of pediatriciansin the promotion and practice of breastfeeding is essentialto the achievement of optimal infant and child health, growth,and development.
Oh sweet. Link fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otis is losing his #### in here. Holy hell
It's not exclusive to this thread.
Link?Last time I lost my #### was when I tried to convince you hillbillies to stop guzzling 12-packs of Pepsi. I've been pretty tame ever since.As an aside, I wonder how many of these parenting nerds have their kids sloshing around in 2-liter bottles of Coca-Cola on an average weekend.

Can we get Memphis Foundry to set an auto-bump on this thread for about 18 years from now, so we can see my kid crushing moops' kid in every important measurable?

Users who are viewing this thread