What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breastfeeding (1 Viewer)

We have a 2 month old, and my wife does breat feed. But the vast majority of people in our neighboorhood do not. The common explanation, for those that were able, "I tried, but i just really didn't like it"
This is more what I am talking about. I find that reasoning detestable.
maybe some moms just want their bodies back? Waking up every two-three hours after carrying a baby to term and giving birth to it is an unbelievable undertaking, lets cut a little slack to those that forgo breastfeeding because they just don't want to do it. Much like the abortion debate, it's way too easy for men to opine harshly about a subject when they don't have to bear the direct consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
USA

Paid maternity leave - none.

Parental leave - Under the Family Medical Leave Act 2003 every qualifying individual has the right to 12 weeks unpaid family and medical leave, including parental leave. To qualify, they must have worked at least 1,250 hours in the last year for an employer who has more than 50 employees. Some States laws provide more or have less stringent qualifying conditions (see the US Study, September 2008 "A Detailed Look at Parental Leave Policies in 21 OECD Countries" by Rebecca Ray noted above)

Part time work as percentage of total employment - not known

Yea capitalism!!

Funny that the thread started off with Otis upset that breastfeeding moms give him the stink eye for choosing a different way of raising his kid and ended up with Otis giving 40 posts of stinkeye to anyone who does things differently than he does.I'm glad your parenting style works for you, but I sure hope it doesn't end up with your kid turning out to be as big of an ####### as you are.
The thread started off with the moops being a judgmental #####. Otis came in a little later.

Funny that the thread started off with Otis upset that breastfeeding moms give him the stink eye for choosing a different way of raising his kid and ended up with Otis giving 40 posts of stinkeye to anyone who does things differently than he does.

I'm glad your parenting style works for you, but I sure hope it doesn't end up with your kid turning out to be as big of an asshole as you are.
How many books did you read?

:goodposting: So I guess we're all just agreeing not to acknowledge that no benefits of breast-feeding have ever been proven at all? Seriously, not a single one beyond the first two weeks of infancy.
You keeo saying this but study after study show otherwise. Yes, they can't account for every factor that goes into a child's development, but seriously, it is fairly well established by 99% of the world's experts that there are indeed benefits for both the mother and child. :shrug:
Umm, I keep saying it because the bolded part of your statement if 100% wrong. I get that 99% of the world thinks breastfeeding is probably good for a child. That's just common sense. But there is no agreement that NOT breastfeeding is HARMFUL or NEGATIVE to a child, and further no agreement on what specific harm is posed to a child by not breast-feeding.If you want to debate the fact that no studies on this subject have established that you can debate my sis, who will explain how there is no evidence on this subject anywhere no matter how many "studies" have been conducted.
"debate" = euphemism?
Yes but not want you thinks its for. It's a euphemism for "get torn to shreds by a very smart woman who knows her ####"

Funny that the thread started off with Otis upset that breastfeeding moms give him the stink eye for choosing a different way of raising his kid and ended up with Otis giving 40 posts of stinkeye to anyone who does things differently than he does.

I'm glad your parenting style works for you, but I sure hope it doesn't end up with your kid turning out to be as big of an asshole as you are.
I mentioned that a few pages back. You must have missed it with all your self absorbed ranting.

I mentioned that a few pages back. You must have missed it with all your self absorbed ranting.
You're pretty upset about this huh.

Speaking of benefits of the mother...the same medical school Oats Dr. Attended did a study that shows women who breastfeed 2 years or longer reduce their risk of breast cancer by 50%. I'm sure oats doesn't need to worry about that because he'll already have upgraded to a newer model wife by that time.

Did Otis ever give a reason besides it would make dropping the kid off at a babysitters too difficult for why his wife is not breastfeeding?

Speaking of benefits of the mother...the same medical school Oats Dr. Attended did a study that shows women who breastfeed 2 years or longer reduce their risk of breast cancer by 50%. I'm sure oats doesn't need to worry about that because he'll already have upgraded to a newer model wife by that time.
Any woman who breastfeeds her child past the age where he/she can ask for it with words deserves a fate worse than breast cancer.

My wife didn't want to breastfeed. Should I have forced her to, for her own sake?

Any woman who breastfeeds her child past the age where he/she can ask for it with words deserves a fate worse than breast cancer.
Great posting. That is SUPER creepy.

Wait, I know: it's because their kids turn into serial killers by 8 and kill the mothers before they can develop breast cancer.

Did Otis ever give a reason besides it would make dropping the kid off at a babysitters too difficult for why his wife is not breastfeeding?
My wife didn't need to give me a reason. She preferred not to, and it didn't matter much to me either way. That's all there is to it. In retrospect I'm glad she didn't.

:goodposting: So I guess we're all just agreeing not to acknowledge that no benefits of breast-feeding have ever been proven at all? Seriously, not a single one beyond the first two weeks of infancy.
You keeo saying this but study after study show otherwise. Yes, they can't account for every factor that goes into a child's development, but seriously, it is fairly well established by 99% of the world's experts that there are indeed benefits for both the mother and child. :shrug:
Umm, I keep saying it because the bolded part of your statement if 100% wrong. I get that 99% of the world thinks breastfeeding is probably good for a child. That's just common sense. But there is no agreement that NOT breastfeeding is HARMFUL or NEGATIVE to a child, and further no agreement on what specific harm is posed to a child by not breast-feeding.If you want to debate the fact that no studies on this subject have established that you can debate my sis, who will explain how there is no evidence on this subject anywhere no matter how many "studies" have been conducted.
"debate" = euphemism?
Yes but not want you thinks its for. It's a euphemism for "get torn to shreds by a very smart woman who knows her ####"
sounds like my type of euphemism. :thumbup: eta: and my sex life :kicksrock:

I read two books and cry almost every day thinking about what terrible parents we were for depriving JR of the only option that would have allowed him to thrive. Never mind the fact that he's 99th percentile for both height and weight.I appreciate that O's showing a little spirit. It's a different Otis from the good old days, but at least he's showing a personality again.

We have a 2 month old, and my wife does breat feed. But the vast majority of people in our neighboorhood do not. The common explanation, for those that were able, "I tried, but i just really didn't like it"
maybe some moms just want their bodies back? Waking up every two-three hours after carrying a baby to term and giving birth to it is an unbelievable undertaking, lets cut a little slack to those that forgo breastfeeding because they just don't want to do it. Much like the abortion debate, it's way too easy for men to opine harshly about a subject when they don't have to bear the direct consequences.
Unacceptable if its the best thing for the child. A mom putting wanting her body back over whats best for her child is not fair game for criticism? At least admit its a selfish decision. No room for selfishness when you become a parent.

My wife didn't need to give me a reason. She preferred not to, and it didn't matter much to me either way. That's all there is to it. In retrospect I'm glad she didn't.
She knew you'd be grilled on this by strangers some day.

I read two books and cry almost every day thinking about what terrible parents we were for depriving JR of the only option that would have allowed him to thrive. Never mind the fact that he's 99th percentile for both height and weight.I appreciate that O's showing a little spirit. It's a different Otis from the good old days, but at least he's showing a personality again.
Knew the brents would be on the ride side of this one :hifive:

This is the sanest thing O has had to say in here.Seriously though- what's with the willfully ignorant schtick? Books are bad? Info is bad? Just do this whole child-rearing thing on a whim... because, hey- something as old as birthing and child-raising can't have possibly been studied in any useful way? Or am I misreading what you're saying here?

Unacceptable if its the best thing for the child. A mom putting wanting her body back over whats best for her child is not fair game for criticism? At least admit its a selfish decision. No room for selfishness when you become a parent.
guh.

It's not a selfish decision if it won't make a difference for the child either way.Half the things you parentfreaks are doing for your children to help them may well be hurting them over the long haul. By the way, there's a much lower probability of your child being killed in a car accident if your child stays home vs. goes out shopping in the car with mom. Pretty selfish of mom to go shopping? She could just stay home I guess.

What medical reaction is caused in the body that specifically reduces a body's vulnerability to cancer?
The reduced risk is likely caused by the reduced exposure to estrogen, and fat soluble pollutants and carcinogens are not stored as much in lactating breasts.The reduced risk for ovarian cancer is likely from the reduced number of ovulations

Really? You haven't spanked the :pickle: the entire time you've been a parent?

Really? You haven't spanked the :pickle: the entire time you've been a parent?
:lmao: Thats got nothing to do with my kids.

What medical reaction is caused in the body that specifically reduces a body's vulnerability to cancer?
Could be similar to the reason why masturbation decreases risk for testicular cancer.

I can't imagine a more selfish act.

But honestly sometimes as a parent you have to look out for yourself. God knows your kids aren't going to consider your feelings or anything when they request something.

Anyway, this thread is about the women who selfishly force their children to breast-feed just so they can get their bonding jollies.

/hijack

It's not a selfish decision if it won't make a difference for the child either way.Half the things you parentfreaks are doing for your children to help them may well be hurting them over the long haul.

By the way, there's a much lower probability of your child being killed in a car accident if your child stays home vs. goes out shopping in the car with mom. Pretty selfish of mom to go shopping? She could just stay home I guess.
It's a selfish decision if there is even a smidgen of a chance it makes a difference. Most medical sources will say it can make a difference. That should be enough.Parentfreak = Wanting to do whats best for your child? You are collapsing man

Your example is not realistic. Attempting to breastfeed is realistic. Understand if it doesn't work out for some, but I say you have to at least make the effort.

This is the sanest thing O has had to say in here.Seriously though- what's with the willfully ignorant schtick? Books are bad? Info is bad? Just do this whole child-rearing thing on a whim... because, hey- something as old as birthing and child-raising can't have possibly been studied in any useful way? Or am I misreading what you're saying here?
It's not willful ignorance. It's recognition of the fact that people have been making babies in the African bush for thousands of years. This isn't rocket science. But some parents these days border on insane with all of the information, activities, structure, and the TERROR they express over the slightest things (like, having a glass of red wine while pregnant, for instance). Of course I would never want to do something to harm my child. But that doesn't mean I am trying to genetically and environmentally engineer the perfect human. I guess I could play recordings all night in her crib of counting and the alphabet, so she's receiving maximum education? How else can I expect her to get into Harvard???I read one book on being a new dad. It was mostly drivel but I'm sure I must have learned one or two things from it. My wife and I didn't take a class on giving birth, mostly because, again, giving birth is something people did long before all those goofy new age classes. A buddy of mine once advised me "yeah, but you HAVE to take a class, because if something doesn't go right, or if the doctor wants to know if they should administer a certain kind of drug or not, you need to be informed." Guess what, I don't tell my mechanic what type of replacement parts or oil to use, and I'm sure as not about to decide what drugs should be administered to the two most important people in my life. Some things you leave to the professionals.

Except for the "in retrospect I'm glad she didn't." Who cares what a bunch of jagoffs on the internet think about your parenting choices? It's just as ridiculous to let someone's opposition to your honestly held belief cement that opinion as it is to change it because someone disagrees.

Can't go with you there dude. Hospitals treat births like McDonald's treats hamburgers: slap em together and get em out the door by any means necessary.

Mmm, that made me hungry for a McDonald's hamburger.

I read one book on being a new dad. It was mostly drivel but I'm sure I must have learned one or two things from it. My wife and I didn't take a class on giving birth, mostly because, again, giving birth is something people did long before all those goofy new age classes. A buddy of mine once advised me "yeah, but you HAVE to take a class, because if something doesn't go right, or if the doctor wants to know if they should administer a certain kind of drug or not, you need to be informed." Guess what, I don't tell my mechanic what type of replacement parts or oil to use, and I'm sure as not about to decide what drugs should be administered to the two most important people in my life. Some things you leave to the professionals.
Yea, who wants to go into a medical procedure fully informed. That is for new age dolts.

It's not willful ignorance. It's recognition of the fact that people have been making babies in the African bush for thousands of years. This isn't rocket science. But some parents these days border on insane with all of the information, activities, structure, and the TERROR they express over the slightest things (like, having a glass of red wine while pregnant, for instance). Of course I would never want to do something to harm my child. But that doesn't mean I am trying to genetically and environmentally engineer the perfect human. I guess I could play recordings all night in her crib of counting and the alphabet, so she's receiving maximum education? How else can I expect her to get into Harvard???I read one book on being a new dad. It was mostly drivel but I'm sure I must have learned one or two things from it. My wife and I didn't take a class on giving birth, mostly because, again, giving birth is something people did long before all those goofy new age classes. A buddy of mine once advised me "yeah, but you HAVE to take a class, because if something doesn't go right, or if the doctor wants to know if they should administer a certain kind of drug or not, you need to be informed." Guess what, I don't tell my mechanic what type of replacement parts or oil to use, and I'm sure as not about to decide what drugs should be administered to the two most important people in my life. Some things you leave to the professionals.
:lmao: OMG this thread is the everlasting gobstopper of the FFA. It just keeps getting better and better.

I "got" to use all my vacation days to help the wife get back to health after her C section. No paternity leave. What state do you live in, Franceachusetts?
:confused: i "got" to use mine too in the long run. saved all my time off to stay home with the wife and kid both times.

Except for the "in retrospect I'm glad she didn't." Who cares what a bunch of jagoffs on the internet think about your parenting choices? It's just as ridiculous to let someone's opposition to your honestly held belief cement that opinion as it is to change it because someone disagrees.
That statement had nothing to do with this thread.

I can't believe effing Yale medical school is that low in the rankings. :hot: Who would have guessed???

I can't believe effing Yale medical school is that low in the rankings. :hot: Who would have guessed???
Come on now, people have been healing the sick for tens of thousands of years. Who needs to go to some fancy, new-age medical school to learn how to do that stuff?

I read one book on being a new dad. It was mostly drivel but I'm sure I must have learned one or two things from it. My wife and I didn't take a class on giving birth, mostly because, again, giving birth is something people did long before all those goofy new age classes. A buddy of mine once advised me "yeah, but you HAVE to take a class, because if something doesn't go right, or if the doctor wants to know if they should administer a certain kind of drug or not, you need to be informed." Guess what, I don't tell my mechanic what type of replacement parts or oil to use, and I'm sure as not about to decide what drugs should be administered to the two most important people in my life. Some things you leave to the professionals.
Yea, who wants to go into a medical procedure fully informed. That is for new age dolts.
I haven't (beleive it or not) read this whole thing. Glad to see you have kept your humor.

I tried breastfeeding

seeing no mouth i assumed they drank through that protuberance as if it was a straw, so i stuck my wife's breast into a cup of lemonade

judging from her reaction her breast was not hungry

i may see if they can feed while she is sleeping

Users who are viewing this thread