What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Westbrook Hype Train (2 Viewers)

There's no way a coach on the hot seat with the chance to win the division and preserve his job is going to ride an unproven and shaky rookie instead of a proven vet that has fresh legs and clearly has some juice left in them.

There's no way a coach on the hot seat with the chance to win the division and preserve his job is going to ride an unproven and shaky rookie instead of a proven vet that has fresh legs and clearly has some juice left in them.
Thank you.

Unless you're looking to throw down the guarantee that "old guy with 9-10 years under his belt and appears washed up traveling to new team has no chance of posting good numbers". :goodposting:
See: Tomlinson, LaDanian.
Except for the hot start, what has LT done?Has not ran for over 60 yards in his last six, and has not scored in his last five. thank god he catches a few passes to get u yards, in a ppr he has value, in a TD league...not so much.He has gone over 100 total yards in 3 of his past 6 however, and only 6 games all year of over 100 combined yards, as far as yards not bad, but scores matter in fantasy ball, 5 on the year is not good enough as an argument to say he is still a stud.

Unless you're looking to throw down the guarantee that "old guy with 9-10 years under his belt and appears washed up traveling to new team has no chance of posting good numbers". :)
Except for the hot start, what has LT done?Has not ran for over 60 yards in his last six, and has not scored in his last five. thank god he catches a few passes to get u yards, in a ppr he has value, in a TD league...not so much.He has gone over 100 total yards in 3 of his past 6 however, and only 6 games all year of over 100 combined yards, as far as yards not bad, but scores matter in fantasy ball, 5 on the year is not good enough as an argument to say he is still a stud.
On a much better Offensive I might add...

Unless you're looking to throw down the guarantee that "old guy with 9-10 years under his belt and appears washed up traveling to new team has no chance of posting good numbers". :popcorn:
On a much better Offensive I might add...
LT is actually a flex play now. He's definitely losing some juice he had earlier in the year. But we all knew and expected this. Hence Rex Ryan's declaration that the RB carries will be split evenly now. Greene has actually gotten more carries when NYJ are leading games. I would say that Westy and LT's value are pretty even right now. Westy has more upside given that he is competing with Dixon for carries and he will be featured.

for those of you with low waiver positions or short on bid money, a back up waiver placed on Dixon will be a nice consolation prize that could pay off just as nicely

He's not worth unless you are desperate. The 49ers have enough trouble running the ball with gore. Now you have westbrook who is going to get spelled by dixon a lot more...its a mess and a mess you probably don't want to count on. If you are desperate for a rb then by all means.
At this point in the season, I traded my depth for bigger firepower at my weaker positions. I wanted and had a chance at making a good run. Gore was my RB#1. Not hard to see how I'm desperate. Even more so, Westbrook is a starting RB with very fresh legs. At worst he's better on my bench than scoring points against me.
:goodposting: This is the reason I'm putting in my claims. I can dump a worse player from my bench to have a shot at keeping him from starting against me later. He'll look better on my bench then my opponent's starting line up.

Unless you're looking to throw down the guarantee that "old guy with 9-10 years under his belt and appears washed up traveling to new team has no chance of posting good numbers". :goodposting:
Except for the hot start, what has LT done?Has not ran for over 60 yards in his last six, and has not scored in his last five. thank god he catches a few passes to get u yards, in a ppr he has value, in a TD league...not so much.

He has gone over 100 total yards in 3 of his past 6 however, and only 6 games all year of over 100 combined yards, as far as yards not bad, but scores matter in fantasy ball, 5 on the year is not good enough as an argument to say he is still a stud.
There are only 3 games left in the fantasy season.

What do you think Westbrook will do vs Packers this weekend?I feel like I screwed up my fantasy year because I didn't pick Wesbrook last night. Do u think I screwed up in this?So I am 1 win away from making the playoffs. The guy I'm going against has Peterson, I picked up Gerhart yesterday morning. Last night my internet was down, so I was on my phone trying to follow twitter and this forum for news on Gore, but it was slow. I went to bed before news that Gore was done for year. I almost picked up Westbrook, but thought I could wait till this morning when I heard the postgame conference saying that Gore wanted to get back in the game and they had to hid his helmet. This morning I woke up, and the guy I am playing next week picked up Westbrook. Then on my way to work I heard on radio that Gore was done for the year. His RBs: Peterson, Jackson(GB), Felix, Wesbrook, HightowerMine: Charles, Moreno, Jackson(STL), Bradshaw, Keiland, GerhartDixon is still out, do u think he's worth grabbing?
You might be over-reacting a little bit - I doubt that your season is shot because you grabbed Gerhart over Westbrook. While Gore has been a solid play over the season, he has had some week-to-week variability. Again, we saw Westbrook in the best possible scenario: a team needing a statement win, being ahead, against a soft and demoralized D-line, and having something to prove coming off the bench when the starter went down.If Peterson is out, then your RB core looks pretty good for next week. Gerhart picks up 80% - 90% of AP's load, and Charles offsets Westbrook. From there, Moreno and Steven Jackson probably give you a slight edge over Jackson (GB) and Felix Jones. Keiland Williams has gotten cold in Washington and may be likely to stay that way this week against the Giants, so if you wanted to be uber-conservative, you could grab Dixon. But again, this is SF about which we are talking, so they - too - run hot and cold.I might argue that you should wait until later in the week and find out what the deal is with AP, SJax, and Bradshaw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, i see the hype train is in full swing already, lol. The funny thing is that i hear people calling Westbrook "a stud waiting in the wings," another guy made a :shrug: when another poster dared to compared an aged Westbrook to one Brandon Jackson. I guess when the #1 RB gets hurt, everyone who thinks they are going to get the scrub backup believes that backup to be Walter Payton incarnate.
Again with the hyperbole. Very few people here think he's Walter Peyton incarnate. However it is absurd to ignore the guy's tendency for production when he's got the starting role. I laughed at the BJax comparison becuase it's absurd. Westbrook has logged 10,000 yards from scrimmage and 60 Touchdowns. Brandon Jackson hasn't broken 2000 and 10. Westbrook has posted more points in a fantasy season than Jackson has in his career... multiple times.

Yes. Westbrook is old. Yes, he tends to get dinged up. However we're talking about a guy who just posted a 20pt game. We're talking about a guy that people are picking up for a 4 game stretch. And we're talking about getting that guy for next to nothing.

Unless you're looking to throw down the guarantee that "old guy with 9-10 years under his belt and appears washed up traveling to new team has no chance of posting good numbers". :popcorn:
I have a waiver claim in for Westbrook, although Dixon is a higher priority for me in standard leagues, so i don't disagree with you that Westbrok is one of the best pickups this week. ANY RB that has the potential to be the premier RB on a running team is automatically going to be a #1 claim. But i find it ridiculous that you would think it is ABSURD to compare a decrepit Westbrook to Brandon Jackson. It is a fair comparison, talent wise they are on the same level. I don't see how in the world Westbrook can be so good that it is laughable to compare him to Bjax. And another guy claimed that the 49'rs have a "stud in waiting" in Westbrook. Who is using hyperbole here? Who is going over the top? Westbrook is a decent FLEX option, worth a pickup, but i would expect Brandon Jackson type fantasy numbers going forward and nothing more. Certainly he is not going to produce to the level that he is a stud or that it is laughable to compare him to Bjax.

Westbrook or Tolbert? (yes, he's available), Westbrook or Tolbert?, Westbrook or Tolbert?... :)

Unless you're looking to throw down the guarantee that "old guy with 9-10 years under his belt and appears washed up traveling to new team has no chance of posting good numbers". :shrug:
Cool. So old guys get tired after a lotta games. How did LT do during his first 5 games... that's all people will need Westy for.

But i find it ridiculous that you would think it is ABSURD to compare a decrepit Westbrook to Brandon Jackson. It is a fair comparison, talent wise they are on the same level.
We're simply going to have to agree to disagree here.

He has gone over 100 total yards in 3 of his past 6 however, and only 6 games all year of over 100 combined yards, as far as yards not bad, but scores matter in fantasy ball, 5 on the year is not good enough as an argument to say he is still a stud.
So, at what point do you consider picking up players for free on the WW? RB1 only? RB2? FLEX? If they could help other teams that are in contention for the title? I'm curious as to your vehement defense that Westbrook is not guaranteed to be a stud, so he's not worth spending a pittance on. At what point is a player worth snatching up for next to nothing?

Westbrook or Tolbert? (yes, he's available), Westbrook or Tolbert?, Westbrook or Tolbert?... :shrug:
I'm not sure how this is a legitimate question. Tolbert is top 15 in most leagues...for the year.
seriouslyand on the westbrooke front, gore wasn't having that good of a year rushing the football to begin and gore had all the carries to himself.westbrook is 100% going to give way to dixon in games...imho this is going to seriously limit his value

So, at what point do you consider picking up players for free on the WW? RB1 only? RB2? FLEX? If they could help other teams that are in contention for the title? I'm curious as to your vehement defense that Westbrook is not guaranteed to be a stud, so he's not worth spending a pittance on. At what point is a player worth snatching up for next to nothing?
Pick him up sure, People are just assuming he is gonna be a stud, I'm just saying temper expectations a bit. Can he blow up sure, but I would take Toby over him.

Can he blow up sure, but I would take Toby over him.
IMO given that we know Gore is done for the year, and are unsure of ADP's status (though initial reports are that it's not season ending):If you need a back for the next week, maybe two: Gerhart's probably your guy.

If you need a back for the stretch run through the title game: Westbrook is more likely to be getting action weeks 15/16.

Depends on your needs.

Dr. Awesome said:
glock said:
Westbrook or Tolbert? (yes, he's available), Westbrook or Tolbert?, Westbrook or Tolbert?... :goodposting:
I'm not sure how this is a legitimate question. Tolbert is top 15 in most leagues...for the year.
It's legit when taking into account that we are talking weeks 13-16 and not 1-12. Tolbert was picked up by one owner when Moreno went down, and was dropped when Moreno came back. We have limited moves. While SD's rushing match ups are tasty here on out, Tolbert will have Matthews back to take some work. I guess it comes down to one's thoughts on how much impact he will have.

Dr. Awesome said:
glock said:
Westbrook or Tolbert? (yes, he's available), Westbrook or Tolbert?, Westbrook or Tolbert?... :lmao:
It's legit when taking into account that we are talking weeks 13-16 and not 1-12. Tolbert was picked up by one owner when Moreno went down, and was dropped when Moreno came back. We have limited moves. While SD's rushing match ups are tasty here on out, Tolbert will have Matthews back to take some work. I guess it comes down to one's thoughts on how much impact he will have.
And Westbrook will have Dixon. Besides, what has Mathews shown that would cause Tolbert to stop getting double digit carries, let alone goal line touches?

I think Dixon is the play here. People are going to be jumping all over Westbrook for obvious reasons but I think it will be closer to a 50/50 split than most people will be lead to believe, with Dixon getting the better share of GL carries. Just my hunch.

Singletary said on the radio this morning that the carries will be a "combination" of Westbrook and Dixon. Not much to go on, I know. He was hoping there'd be good news on Gore. He's often times in denial and/or not very smart.

Singletary needs to win to keep his job (even though that is doubtful), they paid westy decent money to come out, and westy has massive amounts of experience over Dixon. I would bet it is around 60/40 here on out. Dixon might get the 5 and in work and Westy will probably get every single third down imaginable with a team that will be in a lot of third downs.

For what it is worth: SiriusXM Fanstay radio with John Hanson just had the beat writer on from SF Gate and he says Westbrooks carries will be limited due to consistent swelling in his knees and that Dixon will definitely get all goal line work (Again he cited not only the 32 year old Westbrooks knees, but also his concussion history). Hanson being an Eagles insider from the east coast said Westbrooks knees have been an issue for years.

Singletary said on the radio this morning that the carries will be a "combination" of Westbrook and Dixon. Not much to go on, I know. He was hoping there'd be good news on Gore. He's often times in denial and/or not very smart.
This is what every Niner homer has been saying for weeks. I don't understand why some people still won't believe it.

I don't think he'll get 50 yards rushing this week. I also think Dixon will vulture goaline Td's in this situation as well.

Westbrook looked good against a very bad run defense last night. Anything over 50 yards rushing will be good for Westbrook next week and as I said, I think Dixon is on on the mix of goaline carries.

Singletary said on the radio this morning that the carries will be a "combination" of Westbrook and Dixon.
This is what every Niner homer has been saying for weeks. I don't understand why some people still won't believe it.
Err, what is there to believe or disbelieve?Last night was a "combination" of the two of them.
Last night the Cardinals wouldn't have been able to stop Vern Troyer. I wouldn't take that game as a predictor of the future.

I think Dixon is the play here. People are going to be jumping all over Westbrook for obvious reasons but I think it will be closer to a 50/50 split than most people will be lead to believe, with Dixon getting the better share of GL carries. Just my hunch.
Exactly, plus don't count out that SF season may be closing shortly, and will need to see what they have in Dixon with Gore's longterm future in question

Dr. Awesome said:
glock said:
Westbrook or Tolbert? (yes, he's available), Westbrook or Tolbert?, Westbrook or Tolbert?... :goodposting:
And Westbrook will have Dixon. Besides, what has Mathews shown that would cause Tolbert to stop getting double digit carries, let alone goal line touches?
True. And this is why we have the Shark Pool. ;)

I don't think anyone is saying that Dixon won't play - obviously both will be involved. IMO the question is, if you only had one waiver buck to spend, which RB has the higher upside and is a better gamble for valuable pts in your starting lineup. Even assuming Dixon gets more of SF's rare GL carries, I don't see how, gun to your head, you start Dixon over Westbrook next week based on the AZ's game usage, Sing's commentary re: Westbrook's performance (and casually mentioning Dixon as an aside), and Westbrook's edge over Dixon re: explosiveness and making something out of nothing with a suspect and inconsistent OL.

Might temper the hype a bit for I just read that Singletary said he was going with a "good mix" of both for the final weeks. Still with that said I'd get Westy first.

I don't think anyone is saying that Dixon won't play - obviously both will be involved. IMO the question is, if you only had one waiver buck to spend, which RB has the higher upside and is a better gamble for valuable pts in your starting lineup. Even assuming Dixon gets more of SF's rare GL carries, I don't see how, gun to your head, you start Dixon over Westbrook next week based on the AZ's game usage, Sing's commentary re: Westbrook's performance (and casually mentioning Dixon as an aside), and Westbrook's edge over Dixon re: explosiveness and making something out of nothing with a suspect and inconsistent OL.
I'd rather not take either guy. But assuming I needed a warm body and there was nothing else available, I'd take Westbrook in ppr leagues. I'd take Dixon in standard scoring leagues. Either way I'd cry.

I'd rather not take either guy. But assuming I needed a warm body and there was nothing else available, I'd take Westbrook in ppr leagues. I'd take Dixon in standard scoring leagues. Either way I'd cry.
I'm sure there are plenty of people desperate for a running back. I'll take Westbrook over anyone on the Redskins.

I agreeCoach Mike Singletary acknowledged Tuesday that Brian Westbrook's 23-carry workload in Monday night's game is too much ask for on a weekly basis."Because of the past history with Brian, some of the injuries, it's smart for us to be careful about how we use him," said Singletary. "He's a talented guy, but we want to be smart about that." The 49ers will use a "good mixture" between Westbrook and Anthony Dixon over the final five weeks.

I agreeCoach Mike Singletary acknowledged Tuesday that Brian Westbrook's 23-carry workload in Monday night's game is too much ask for on a weekly basis."Because of the past history with Brian, some of the injuries, it's smart for us to be careful about how we use him," said Singletary. "He's a talented guy, but we want to be smart about that." The 49ers will use a "good mixture" between Westbrook and Anthony Dixon over the final five weeks.
This changes my perception of Westbrook. I guess he won't be the feature back.

Know why I don't want him?Cuz there is a thread that says "Brian Westbrook Hype Train" in the SP forum, that always seems to work out. :popcorn: I believe Dixon is the guy to own. IMHOI think that Westy was just more prepared and successful in the game plan against the worst defense in the NFC after Gore went down, you know the hot hand thing. With a week of practice, I believe they may give the rookie the experience to see what they have, Gores Career may be done. Who knows?...a broken hip for a RB, ugh. Bo Jackson anyone?....But to not to give a Dixon a try when their season is virtually over for a old injury riddled RB who wont even be on a the team next year or even in the league...what would be the point?
Knowing who to block (which means being able to make difficult reads in lots of different situations) is not something that you can expect a HB to learn during his rookie season. That alone gives Westbrook a huge edge on Dixon this season. It's possible that the Niners will give Dixon more PT than Westbrook after they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs... but not until then. Singletary wants to keep his job... and Dixon missing blocks that could get the QB knocked out of the game is not something Sing will want to risk.

This changes my perception of Westbrook. I guess he won't be the feature back.
He'll be the 'feature back' as in he'll get the most touches. But his value is quite limited unless they play another team that sucks and doesn't try.

I blocked my opponent this week from getting Westy since he was a Gore owner.

I think Westbrook gets 15 touches. He's valuable out of the backfield on checkdowns.

He should get 75yds rush/35receiving and 1 td this week. Nice flex player :lmao:

I blocked my opponent this week from getting Westy since he was a Gore owner. I think Westbrook gets 15 touches. He's valuable out of the backfield on checkdowns. He should get 75yds rush/35receiving and 1 td this week. Nice flex player :lmao:
IMHO as a lowly 49er fan you are dreaming...that would have been a good week for gore. Westy this week will be40 yds rushing25 yds recievingthat is all

Users who are viewing this thread