What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brooks: "I'm a great QB" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guderian

Footballguy
http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/...90300103580.xmlI'm getting pretty tired of this guy. Last year he blamed his fumbles on "slippery balls". I guess they gave Brooks different balls than they gave everyone else. This year he blames the team's poor record at home on the fans. Apparently he doesn't think the fans should boo his falling backward, no look INTs for TDs. A few years ago he took himself out of a game right before half time because he didn't want to risk an INT on the hail mary. Now in the above article comparing him to Delhomme he says:
"Jake is a great guy, a good quarterback," Brooks said. "He's on a team that plays well together. I'm the exact opposite. I'm a great quarterback, and I'm on a team that's kind of struggling and been very inconsistent a lot of the time. I've been able to do some great things. There's no comparison. He's just a good friend of mine. I would never try to make this into a him-versus-me type deal."
"There is no comparison to Jake and I," Brooks said. "Jake had his opportunity for numerous years here in New Orleans and couldn't capitalize on it. I came and got the job, and he had to move on. He's done a great job where he's at."
This guy has zero leadership skills. Over the past couple of years he has been disastrous in the 2-minute drill. If the Saints are trying to run the clock out he runs out of bounds. If they are trying to preserve time he slides. He has a 72 QB rating in the first quarter :thumbup: and people wonder why the team gets off to a slow start every week. Virtually every QB in the NFL has seen a significant improvement in their passer rating this year, but Brooks' is down 10 points from 88 to 78--the same as Rattay and Josh McCown. Will someone please take this clown off of our hands.

Those are some pitiful quotes. Did he happen to see Jake in the Super Bowl last year? Brooks couldn't hold Delhomme's jock. What a bad decision this organization made by crowning Aaron the king of New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Jake is a great guy, a good quarterback," Brooks said. "He's on a team that plays well together. I'm the exact opposite. I'm a great quarterback, and I'm on a team that's kind of struggling and been very inconsistent a lot of the time. I've been able to do some great things. There's no comparison. He's just a good friend of mine. I would never try to make this into a him-versus-me type deal."
:speechless:

Thanks Mickey Loomis, AKA Benson's Lapdog, for signing this ### clown to a 6 year 36 mil contract two years ago!

:eek:Although this really qualifies the contention so many of us have had and debated so vigorously with Imprisoned Saints Fan and others a few weeks ago. Tons of physical skills, but doesn't have the "it" that makes a good QB.

to be honest, i dont care about the quotes, i care about the Ws.And the Ws are lacking.and the players that are truly great -- the john elways and dan marinos -- they make their teams better.

Those quotes are going to cost him in the long run (along with his erratic play). You can bet that some team that may have been interested in him when/if he becomes available will remember these quotes & say "no thanks".

Those are some pitiful quotes. Did he happen to see Jake in the Super Bowl last year? Brooks couldn't hold Delhomme's jock. What a bad decision this organization made by crowning Aaron the king of New Orleans.
Not in defense of Brooks but, Jake is where he is because of where he is. Perhaps less but, Jake would have suffered in NO as well. Haslett is no Fox.

Not in defense of Brooks but, Jake is where he is because of where he is. Perhaps less but, Jake would have suffered in NO as well. Haslett is no Fox.
Telling stat: The team was 7-4 with Jeff Blake and has been bouncing just below sub-.500 ever since Brooks took the reins. Back when Haslett took over they had a decent defense and a strong running game. IMO they should have gone with a solid veteran QB. Instead they decided to build the team around Brooks and we sit at +/-1 game within .500 every year.

I'm ashamed to be a saints fan. I will boo the hell out of him next year at training camp. POS :hot: at least until we get to the superbowl this year.....it was a white christmas in New Orleans afterall...anything can happen. :bag:

Keeping this simple...if you have to call yourself "Great", chances are you're a) Not and b) The only person willing to give you that label.Honestly, how many times have you heard or read Montana, Young, Elway, Marino, Favre, Manning, etc...call themselves "great?"

Keeping this simple...if you have to call yourself "Great", chances are you're a) Not and b) The only person willing to give you that label.Honestly, how many times have you heard or read Montana, Young, Elway, Marino, Favre, Manning, etc...call themselves "great?"
That was my first thought as well. No one truly great flat out says that they are great and/or better than another player. Even with all that Montana went through with Young he never did any like that. Aaron Brooks is a joke.

That was my first thought as well. No one truly great flat out says that they are great and/or better than another player. Even with all that Montana went through with Young he never did any like that. Aaron Brooks is a joke.
Hummmm, Ali :popcorn:

Brooks must have majored in self-esteem classes. "I am a great QB" (INT for a TD). "No comparison between Jake and me" (throws lateral 30 yards the wrong way). "Doggonnit, people like me" (no they don't, they think you suck).

I'm waiting for the "my comments were taken out of context"/"I was misquoted" routine from Brooks tomorrow.

All this hype ensures Brooks will have a fabulous game and the Saints will win, right?If I had a dollar for every boneheaded move/saying by Brooks, I'd have...well, Aaron Brooks type money.

Keeping this simple...if you have to call yourself "Great", chances are you're a) Not and b) The only person willing to give you that label.
or your child's child has had a child ;)

Anyone else believe that Jake has placed a bounty on Brook's head that Peppers and co. are anxious to collect???

Maybe Brooks is using reverse-psychology on his teammates. You know like in "White men can't jump": "unlike those guys, you play better when your pizzzed off" :excited:

What a joke. Brooks has a LOT of talent around him, and they (as a group) cannot get it done. He is as much to blame as anyone else on that team. He may be the most inconsistent QB I've seen..........possibly EVER.And that defense? Oi! That's a whole 'nother subject...

Honestly, how many times have you heard or read Montana, Young, Elway, Marino, Favre, Manning, etc...call themselves "great?"
A tangential but interesting story . . .In Dan Fouts's fourth or fifth season, he told the media that he believed he was a Pro Bowl-quality quarterback who just needed some talent around him. He was roundly laughed at, since his career was pretty mediocre up to that point. The Chargers stunk, and Fouts looked like nothing special.A year or two later, he made his first of many Pro Bowl appearances.

Why the slam on Brooks? Wasn't long ago that many (including here) touted him as a 'sleeper / break out' QB, guess he sucks now, right? So he's frustrated and taking it out because they stink (thanks coach!). If you ask me, this is a brillant move on Brooks if he can get out of NO.Look, the COACHING staff is one of the worst in the leagues and it's not like anyone else is putting up incredible numbers there. I actually am looking forward to snagging Brooks next year very very late, he should be a true sleeper QB under a better system (hopefully still in NO or on another team). Blame the coaching staff here.

I don't get the love for Jake, and hatred for Brooks. Both teams are 7-8, both have had huge problems(Saints D, Panthers injuries), and both have mediocre run games. Yet Brooks dosn' t have "it" and Jake is a great QB.

I don't get the love for Jake, and hatred for Brooks. Both teams are 7-8, both have had huge problems(Saints D, Panthers injuries), and both have mediocre run games. Yet Brooks dosn' t have "it" and Jake is a great QB.
Jake acts like he cares, Jake's humble, Jake is a leader, Jake doesn't regularly call out his teammates, coaches and the fans in the media. Jake doesn't laugh off game losing mistakes. Talentwise its no contest--Brooks has it all, but Jake plays with heart.

what a maroon. what an imbecycle.seriously - that guy shoots himself in the foot with that mouth - or shoves that mouth in his foot - way too often. Umm, play calling maybe? Not talent. They DO need some OL help, but he has one of the most exciting, but one of the most underused, RBs in the game as support and his TEs and WRs are perfectly fine certainly as good as what the Broncos have.OL, I'm with him - and no defensive help when he DOES score, but playcalling has much more to do with the Saints' problems than the poor OL play.

Jake acts like he cares, Jake's humble, Jake is a leader, Jake doesn't regularly call out his teammates, coaches and the fans in the media. Jake doesn't laugh off game losing mistakes. Talentwise its no contest--Brooks has it all, but Jake plays with heart.
Complete and total opinion.Brooks said nothing that wasn't the truth. Probably not a good idea to phrase it the way he did, but not a single thing said is a misrepresentation of the truth.Here's the part where you gang up and call me names.

I am in a league that awards 4 points for passing TDs, 1 point per 25 yards passing, 6 points for rushing TDs, 1 point per 10 yards rushing. There are only three quarterbacks in the NFL who have scored 10 points or more this year in every non-bye week under this scoring system. D Culpepper P Manning A Brooks.

Maybe Brooks is using reverse-psychology on his teammates. You know like in "White men can't jump": "unlike those guys, you play better when your pizzzed off" :excited:
After the game Brooks should come out and say this was his strat. That way a lot of people here can eat some crow. :devil:

Honestly, how many times have you heard or read Montana, Young, Elway, Marino, Favre, Manning, etc...call themselves "great?"
A tangential but interesting story . . .In Dan Fouts's fourth or fifth season, he told the media that he believed he was a Pro Bowl-quality quarterback who just needed some talent around him. He was roundly laughed at, since his career was pretty mediocre up to that point. The Chargers stunk, and Fouts looked like nothing special.A year or two later, he made his first of many Pro Bowl appearances.
Three big differences between Fouts' comments and Brooks'. First, Fouts didn't put down any other QB in saying that he himself could be a Pro Bowl QB with some help. Second, he actually needed the help - unlike Brooks who is surrounded by Pro Bowl-quality players. Third, he never said he was a great QB when he wasn't playing like one, just that he thought he could be one.

Brooks has at least one pretty good WR - Horn:

Code:
| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1996 kan |  10 |     1      8    8.0    0 |     2     30  15.0    0 || 1997 kan |   8 |     0      0    0.0    0 |     2     65  32.5    0 || 1998 kan |  16 |     1      0    0.0    0 |    14    198  14.1    1 || 1999 kan |  16 |     2     15    7.5    0 |    35    586  16.7    6 || 2000 nor |  16 |     6     18    3.0    0 |    94   1340  14.3    8 || 2001 nor |  16 |     1      4    4.0    0 |    83   1265  15.2    9 || 2002 nor |  16 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    88   1312  14.9    7 || 2003 nor |  15 |     2     15    7.5    0 |    78    973  12.5   10 || 2004 nor |  15 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    90   1324  14.7   10 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   | 128 |    13     60    4.6    0 |   486   7093  14.6   51 |
Those are 3 pro-bowl years and a number of tiems in the league top 10 for catches yards, & TD's. So exactly how is WR so sub-standard? They haven't really had a good #2, except for Willie jackson one year, but if your #1 is top 10, that's better than at least 20 other teams.The RB runs for 1200+ yards and catches 40+ balls to boot.What am I missing?

Three big differences between Fouts' comments and Brooks'. First, Fouts didn't put down any other QB in saying that he himself could be a Pro Bowl QB with some help. Second, he actually needed the help - unlike Brooks who is surrounded by Pro Bowl-quality players. Third, he never said he was a great QB when he wasn't playing like one, just that he thought he could be one.
There is another, major difference.I think Brooks has just about had it with the fans and situation down here. People who don't live down here and see all the stuff that goes on really don't have any idea how bad it has gotten.Call me an apologist or whatever, but Brooks hasn't deserved nearly half the criticism he has received over the last three years. And I would imagine he's just sick and damn tired of having to listen to people blame him for every single little thing that goes wrong with his team. And I wouldn't fault him for that, because I get pretty aggravated about it too. I could only imagine what it must be like to not even walk into a restaurant or a Hornets game without some jackass booing you.And for the people who wil say it's no different in any other NFL city, you're wrong. It's WAY different here. All you have to do is look at 38 years of complete futility to know that. You can criticize Brooks for his comments (and rightly so, in this particular instance), but you have to realize all of the circumstances that have led up to something like this.I could go into all the sordid particulars of the situation down here, but the bottom line is, playing for the New Orleans Saints has a way of bringing out the worst in people.

Complete and total opinion.Brooks said nothing that wasn't the truth. Probably not a good idea to phrase it the way he did, but not a single thing said is a misrepresentation of the truth.
Gimme a break.Jake is a great guy, a good quarterback. True.

He's on a team that plays well together. True.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm a great quarterback. False.

I'm on a team that's kind of struggling and been very inconsistent a lot of the time. True.

I've been able to do some great things. Greatly absurd things. True.

There's no comparison. To you and greatness? True.

He's just a good friend of mine. Jake or your reflection?

I would never try to make this into a him-versus-me type deal. No, never. I'm saying False here.

There is no comparison to Jake and I. Me, you idiot. Jake and Me. And, I agree. Jake's better.

Jake had his opportunity for numerous years here in New Orleans and couldn't capitalize on it. You would know something about that, wouldn't you Leon?

I came and got the job, and he had to move on. He's done a great job where he's at. Yup, he's been to a Super Bowl, and you just plain suck.

Your "truth" is based in nothing more than your own opinions. It makes it hard for me to take your argument seriously when it is filled with nothing but insults and derogatory comments.Let's try and keep it objective here.

Last edited:
What am I missing?
They are the Saints.
So if we traded Horn, McAllister, & Brooks to another team that would matter?I don't see any really good argument for having a subpar WR corps when you have Joe Horn. Having a subpar #2 specifically, I can see. Horn is #1 or a co#1 on half or more of the teams on the NFL if he gets traded. McAllister is a lead back on about the same number, I'd guess. I'd take Horn & McAllister over Muhammad & Goings, or even Smith & Davis. But since they're Saints, they are worse, correct?

Fourth, he didn't put down his own team in the process.

Fourth, he didn't put down his own team in the process.
So you don't think this Saints team has needed to be called out?Come on now, if Jake Delhomme were the quarterback here and called out his team you'd be praising him for his fiery vocal leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread