What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bryant Gumble (1 Viewer)

jchapman70

Footballguy
He is like a game within a game....

Me and a buddy have the over-under on screwing something up at around 14. I say WAY over...

Feel free to paste as the game goes on....

1. Rex Grossman was runner up to Eric Crouch

Last edited by a moderator:
Field goal goes up...."And this one's good ..... No, it's not." I'll give him the benefit on that one. It was only short by five yards.

I don't know if this counts or not, but in the starter introductions he said the Bears would "lean heavily" on Desmond Clark. Does splitting time with Greg Olsen really qualify as "leaning heavily"?

"They say it's the knee and that Grossman won't return. That's funny, it looked like the ankle."

I'm paraphrasing, but what moron looks at that play and doesn't think that Grossman's knee could be blown?

Some that I've heard that haven't been posted yet.......

I can't believe he doesn't have someone screaming in his ear, "It's pronounced AN-TWAN, AN-TWAN, AN-TWAN Randel-El"

Also, how he was wondering if the first field goal was blocked when it obviously was.... Then he covered up when they saw the replay saying, "What was barely obvious to the naked eye.".... Everyone watching the game knew it was blocked just by the flight of the ball.

Last year we used to have a post every week of Gumbleisms..... I think it just got too painful after a while.

"They say it's the knee and that Grossman won't return. That's funny, it looked like the ankle."I'm paraphrasing, but what moron looks at that play and doesn't think that Grossman's knee could be blown?
And then in going to the replay he exclaims, "It looks a lot worse than we're learning it is..." Right after they announce it's a knee and the Grossman definitely won't be returning. :excited:

"They say it's the knee and that Grossman won't return. That's funny, it looked like the ankle."I'm paraphrasing, but what moron looks at that play and doesn't think that Grossman's knee could be blown?
And then in going to the replay he exclaims, "It looks a lot worse than we're learning it is..." Right after they announce it's a knee and the Grossman definitely won't be returning. :excited:
YEAH!! I couldn't believe it.

My son asked me tonight "Did Bryant Gumble have that surgery where they make your body too small for your head?"

Anyone notice when he called Briggs a defensive back?

why do they have this guy doing games? I think they should give Marshall Faulk a shot.

I think the NFL Network has a deal with HBO. They got Collinsworth who does the Inside the NFL show, Gumbel does Realsports, and Harry Kalas is doing the halftime voice overs.

Gumble: Wait a second, look at that hold! He has a hold of his Jersey!

Collinsworth: Well, it looks like it's inside the numbers...

Gumble: Exactly! He got away with one there. Wow...

I don't know why he even tries to call the yardage on the downs.

Gumble: Wait a second, look at that hold! He has a hold of his Jersey!Collinsworth: Well, it looks like it's inside the numbers...Gumble: Exactly! He got away with one there. Wow...I don't know why he even tries to call the yardage on the downs.
Yea, Collinsworth has to be wondering how much longer he can take it.

My son asked me tonight "Did Bryant Gumble have that surgery where they make your body too small for your head?"
:goodposting: I'm a little concerned about your son - what surgery where they make your body too small for your head?

I thought it was funny when he said that Brady said that he heard the whistle and that is why he didn't get the 1st down on the QB sneak. Brady was obviously joking, and you could hear numerous people in the room laugh, but Gumble stated it as a fact.

I would still rather watch him than the ESPN crew on Monday Night.
:goodposting: Thank you! I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. Frankly he's really not that annopying to me. Yeah, he says stupid things, but don't they all. I honestly think that Collinsworth is my favorite analyst, maybe that's why it's not unbearable to watch Gumby.

I just got NFL Network this year, and I must say that when I first heard Gumble calling a game I thought something was wrong with the sound on my TV. He sounds like he's calling the game without a mic. Bryant Gumble is more suited for studio work, not play-by-play.

Not sure if discussed in the game thread. Not sifting through it...

But his comment on Portis was absolutely uncalled for. Portis goes up to Campbell's father and tells him he'll be O.K. Very heartfelt thing to do IMO, esp. in the middle of the game.

Gumble says something like "I'd like to know where Portis got his degree....."

:shrug: :loco:

Not sure if discussed in the game thread. Not sifting through it...But his comment on Portis was absolutely uncalled for. Portis goes up to Campbell's father and tells him he'll be O.K. Very heartfelt thing to do IMO, esp. in the middle of the game.Gumble says something like "I'd like to know where Portis got his degree....." :shrug: :loco:
Now imagine that Gumbel is black...

Not sure if discussed in the game thread. Not sifting through it...But his comment on Portis was absolutely uncalled for. Portis goes up to Campbell's father and tells him he'll be O.K. Very heartfelt thing to do IMO, esp. in the middle of the game.Gumble says something like "I'd like to know where Portis got his degree....." :shrug: :loco:
Especially considering all of his blatantly wrong diagnoses during the game. Like Grossman is walking without too much difficulty on his "ankle" injury. And how when Rex went into the locker room BG said it wasn't as bad as it looked.But he does have a small point. Portis telling campbell SR that his son will be fine is in no way informative about JC's condition.

Gumbel needs to learn when to be authoritative and when not to be. When the ball is on the 27, it doesn't appear to be on the 27, it IS on the 27. When a player gets 5 yards past the marker, he doesn't appear to have the first down, he HAS the first down. And then to couple it with calling passes complete and FGs good while the ref is waving them off? A clue, any clue, would be welcome. On a 3rd and 8 or so Portis is tackled for a 3 yard loss and Gumbel says Portis appears to be short of the marker, he didn't even get past the LoS.

If you're going to have someone who doesn't know jack about football in the booth, make him the 3rd wheel, not the play by play guy. If I was Collinsworth I'd be eating pot brownies every game just to get through without strangling the guy.

And for those that think Bg is better than the ESPN crew, I can't see how any football fan could not like Jaws. Kornheiser makes it almost unwatchable, but I'd listen to Jaws if I had to hear Theisman and MaGuire bicker.

After the 3rd missed fg of the game in the 2nd qtr, "I hope you guys took the under in your office pools", game ended going over the total.

Last season, there was a game with **** Vermeil in the NFLNetwork booth, but he lost his voice.

I believe Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders (who I can't stand) filled in for him.

I remember both doing a fantastic job...best coverage of any NFLN game I viewed.

Anything is better than Gumble...last week I turned the tv volume down and listened to Westwood One radio.

Last season, there was a game with **** Vermeil in the NFLNetwork booth, but he lost his voice.

I believe Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders (who I can't stand) filled in for him.

I remember both doing a fantastic job...best coverage of any NFLN game I viewed.

Anything is better than Gumble...last week I turned the tv volume down and listened to Westwood One radio.
finally someone with a brain....if you don't like him use the mute button or change the channel.....next week use the search feature instead of starting a new thread.

It's sad when Bryant makes you wish it were his brother, Greg.

I like Jim Nantz the most though out of the network play-by-play guys.

He is painful to listen to during a game. Even my 11 yr old was pointing out his mistakes and giving the wrong name of players.

Gumble can be painful but at least he and Collinsworth actually talk about the game that is going on in front of them.

finally someone with a brain....if you don't like him use the mute button or change the channel.....next week use the search feature instead of starting a new thread.
Thank you thread police. If it bothers you why even open the thread?

I hated him at first, but I think he is getting better. He doesn't show much emotion, but I kind of like that.

I couldn't stand him early on but now he makes me laugh. Its funny because he's totally unaware of how terrible he is while I think its obvious to everyone else. His goof ups provided humor during a game that was painful to watch otherwise.

I just got NFL Network this year, and I must say that when I first heard Gumble calling a game I thought something was wrong with the sound on my TV. He sounds like he's calling the game without a mic. Bryant Gumble is more suited for studio work, not play-by-play.
:deadhorse: Good call, i was wondering about that too. He sounded really shoddy, like a high school broadcast (if such a thing exists). Something just didnt seem right- don't know why but it seemed like the broadcast was two guys commentating from home instead of right in the stadium.

Gumbel needs to learn when to be authoritative and when not to be. When the ball is on the 27, it doesn't appear to be on the 27, it IS on the 27. When a player gets 5 yards past the marker, he doesn't appear to have the first down, he HAS the first down. And then to couple it with calling passes complete and FGs good while the ref is waving them off? A clue, any clue, would be welcome. On a 3rd and 8 or so Portis is tackled for a 3 yard loss and Gumbel says Portis appears to be short of the marker, he didn't even get past the LoS. If you're going to have someone who doesn't know jack about football in the booth, make him the 3rd wheel, not the play by play guy. If I was Collinsworth I'd be eating pot brownies every game just to get through without strangling the guy.And for those that think Bg is better than the ESPN crew, I can't see how any football fan could not like Jaws. Kornheiser makes it almost unwatchable, but I'd listen to Jaws if I had to hear Theisman and MaGuire bicker.
EXCELLENT ... EXCELLENT POST ... THANK YOU!!!

If you're going to have someone who doesn't know jack about football in the booth, make him the 3rd wheel, not the play by play guy. If I was Collinsworth I'd be eating pot brownies every game just to get through without strangling the guy.
They tried that on the MNF booth and its still terrible.And i think Collinsworth is just driven to drink :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread