What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***BTTF VI: Draft Over! See you in October (1 Viewer)

Oso takes me down in the division series. Not totally surprised that my Colon/Sabathia 1-2 punch wasn't enough to get it done. 

In the AL, DOSO stoned my Pelicans 3 games to none. DOSO got revenge on the Pels, who had gone 8-4 in the season series -- including two series sweeps of DOSO after the All-Star Break. Three low-scoring competitive games in the divisional series -- Kenley Jansen blew a save in Game 1, and my bats never got into gear.

Wow, took game four to 15 innings, and then who comes in to pitch? My next game's starter, Arrieta.... who, had I lost the game, would have been starting at 89% in game 5.  PHEW, that was a close one.  Wow. 

In the AL, DOSO stoned my Pelicans 3 games to none. DOSO got revenge on the Pels, who had gone 8-4 in the season series -- including two series sweeps of DOSO after the All-Star Break. Three low-scoring competitive games in the divisional series -- Kenley Jansen blew a save in Game 1, and my bats never got into gear.
4-8

5-9

14-8

6-12

Mine, not so much

Still don't like the supplemental pick thing, defeats the whole purpose of what we're doing.  I deserve what I get picking Rodon, Smyly, and Ryu as my 3-4-5 starters; I don't deserve to be bailed out by supplemental picks just because I sucked IMO.  If we were to do something I think that Kraft's idea would be the only fair way.  Obviously I'll go with w/e the majority wants though.

Don't like the DH thing either.  That just creates more opportunity for being short on PA's. You'd be crazy to not pick the non-DH, leading to a ton of teams being stuck finding an extra 600 PA's or so.

If it's Oso vs. Doso finals, I wonder who he'll root for.

Still don't like the supplemental pick thing, defeats the whole purpose of what we're doing.  I deserve what I get picking Rodon, Smyly, and Ryu as my 3-4-5 starters; I don't deserve to be bailed out by supplemental picks just because I sucked IMO.  If we were to do something I think that Kraft's idea would be the only fair way.  Obviously I'll go with w/e the majority wants though.

Don't like the DH thing either.  That just creates more opportunity for being short on PA's. You'd be crazy to not pick the non-DH, leading to a ton of teams being stuck finding an extra 600 PA's or so.

If it's Oso vs. Doso finals, I wonder who he'll root for.
PAs aren't even the issue. It'd be IPs.

In the LCS'c, Glen Cove Upsiders and DOSO with decisive 3-0 leads.

It's been very, very rare that each league's #1 seed gets into the WS at the same time. And most times, being a #1 seed is a kiss of death in the playoffs. But this particular sim seems to have real stratification at the top.

Was down 3-0, Now 3-3 :excited:

Unfortunately, I have 96% Aaron Sanchez going against a fully rested Rich Hill and his playoff 1.29 ERA.

Was down 3-0, Now 3-3 :excited:

Unfortunately, I have 96% Aaron Sanchez going against a fully rested Rich Hill and his playoff 1.29 ERA.
Hill will have a relatively quick hook this afternoon. Lined up behind him are Jon Lester as 1st guy out of the pen. Betances and Kimbrel as the short guys. And Cody Allen as the closer.

Of course, the clubhouse feels a little tight right now, with the word "choke" seeping into our brains.

so DOSO got put into a tournament of champions already. is that normal?
Yes ... all World Series participants get into a TOC, whether or not they win their World Series.

IIRC, Doctor Detroit once lost one of the FBG World Series, got put into a WIS Tournament of Champions, and then went on to win that TOC. That's actually a big accomplishment, because our squads get lumped in with bigger-dollar teams ... so we're competing against teams with four Babe Ruths and three Barry Bonds, top deadball starters w/dupes, Mariano and Eck in the same bullpen, etc.

Yes ... all World Series participants get into a TOC, whether or not they win their World Series.

IIRC, Doctor Detroit once lost one of the FBG World Series, got put into a WIS Tournament of Champions, and then went on to win that TOC. That's actually a big accomplishment, because our squads get lumped in with bigger-dollar teams ... so we're competing against teams with four Babe Ruths and three Barry Bonds, top deadball starters w/dupes, Mariano and Eck in the same bullpen, etc.
:yes:  He actually beat the team that beat me in the semi Finals. Loaded with dead ball pitcher IIRC

World Series tied up 2-2.

Adrian Beltre has made 3 errors in 14 playoff games, after making only 6 in the regular season. sss

Oso forces a game 7 in a 15 inning nail biter.

It all boils down to one game ... good luck Oso, tough to overcome that pithing of yours!

<slowwhistle>

A Game 6 for the ages. Glen Cove Upsiders tag both Dellin Betances (7th inning) and Cody Allen (9th) to scratch out a 6-5 lead going into the bottom of the ninth, needing only three outs for the title. NL Fireman Mark Melancon blows the save for the Upsiders, allowing DOSO one run to tie it up and sending the game to extra frames.

Both staffs hurl five innings of scoreless ball in the 10th-14th, though the Upsiders leave 9 men on during these frames. DOSO shuts the Upsiders down 1-2-3 in the top of the 15th. The Upsiders' Robert Gsellman had retired five of six batters over the 14th and 15th innings, getting Koya to within one out of a World Series title.

DOSO's Michael Saunders grounds his only hit of the day into left field between A/B 3B Todd Frazier and B/A+ SS Marcus Semien. Gsellman reaches his pitch count of 25, and gets pulled for Hunter Strickland, who had allowed a paltry .179 batting average over his last ten regular season appearances. DOSO's Carlos Santana manages to rip his only hit of the day off of Strickland, a double past Ben Zobrist's head and into RF. Saunders scores from first as Yoenis's Cespedes' throw is a few feet off the mark.

DOSO lives to see Game 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
what an epic Game 6

besides what dougb already described, this game saw...

• Rich Hill gets tagged for 4 runs in the top of the 1st, with only one ball hit out of the infield (and only two hits of any sort, one of which is by Jake Arrieta)
  • Side note - Koya has his pitcher hitting 8th
  • Brandon Belt, who hit 301/425/538 in the regular season, goes 0-7 with 5 strikeouts
  • Both teams used 9 pitchers (my bullpen is shot for game 7)
  • Betances strikes out the side in the 7th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 5-2 lead
  • DOSO ties it up in the bottom of the 7th
  • Cody Allen strikes out the side in the 9th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 6-5 lead going into the bottom of the 9th
  • GCU's stud closer Mark Melancon comes on to close out the World Series, but loads the bases on 2 singles and a HBP (with one out)
  • Carlos Hernandez (traded by koya to oso) skies one to deep CF. Back, back, back... CF Jay Bruce (side note: CF Jay Bruce?) is on the warning track... and he makes the catch! But Yadier Molina tags from 3rd to tie the game and send us into extras
  • Both teams bring in SPs to start the 10th - Jake Odorrizi for DOSO and Joe Ross for GCU
  • in the 11th, GCU loads the bases with nobody out, but Cespedes pops up in the infield, Encarnacion strikes out, and Bruce strikes out. It's the sort of inning that can haunt a franchise for a long time. We'll see...
Emptied the bench and the bullpen on this one.

for game 7, everyone is available to pitch (even if tired), except for game 6 starter Rich Hill. 

Jon Lester gets the start, and likely using Chris Sale to close it out, if we get to that point.

Recap of how DOSO was built...

• With 13th pick in the draft, chose to go SP in Chris Sale, as i felt he was the last super-elite SP available
  • in 2nd rd, went SP again with Jon Lester.
  • chose Target Field as my stadium, with its -4 HR rating. this selection dictated the rest of the draft, as it allowed me to look for less-traveled type hitters, who don't hit many HRs but have a decent OBP.
  • next 6 picks are all batters, with only one stinker in there (Carlos Gomez) - Lindor, Beltre, Belt, Yadier, Carlos Santana
  • some complete whiffs along the way - JP Crawford (11th rd), Yulieski Gurriel (16th), Jesse Winker (17th)
  • Steals in 37th (Ricky Nolasco), 44th (Andrew Benintendi), and 46th (Ryan Buchter) rounds
  • Hit on so many SPs that was able to deal for a key missing piece in 2B Cesar Hernandez. Fit my team perfectly. And pick up a very nice SP4 in Jake Odorrizi.
  • Dealt even more excess innings in-season to pick up a struggling and exhausted Craig Kimbrel

Thanks. First one of these i've ever won.

Finally!
Winning these things is a lot more satisfying than people expect. WIS has its warts, but it does a great pacing job with the slow build of a champion over 162 games + playoffs.

... and congrats, of course!

what an epic Game 6

besides what dougb already described, this game saw...

• Rich Hill gets tagged for 4 runs in the top of the 1st, with only one ball hit out of the infield (and only two hits of any sort, one of which is by Jake Arrieta)
  • Side note - Koya has his pitcher hitting 8th
  • Brandon Belt, who hit 301/425/538 in the regular season, goes 0-7 with 5 strikeouts
  • Both teams used 9 pitchers (my bullpen is shot for game 7)
  • Betances strikes out the side in the 7th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 5-2 lead
  • DOSO ties it up in the bottom of the 7th
  • Cody Allen strikes out the side in the 9th but gives up a HR to give GCU a 6-5 lead going into the bottom of the 9th
  • GCU's stud closer Mark Melancon comes on to close out the World Series, but loads the bases on 2 singles and a HBP (with one out)
  • Carlos Hernandez (traded by koya to oso) skies one to deep CF. Back, back, back... CF Jay Bruce (side note: CF Jay Bruce?) is on the warning track... and he makes the catch! But Yadier Molina tags from 3rd to tie the game and send us into extras
  • Both teams bring in SPs to start the 10th - Jake Odorrizi for DOSO and Joe Ross for GCU
  • in the 11th, GCU loads the bases with nobody out, but Cespedes pops up in the infield, Encarnacion strikes out, and Bruce strikes out. It's the sort of inning that can haunt a franchise for a long time. We'll see...
Emptied the bench and the bullpen on this one.
My favorite part of reading the boxscore for the bolded was that inexplicably WIS had Carlos Gomez tag up at 2B in this situation and almost get thrown out at 3B to end the game.

My favorite part of reading the boxscore for the bolded was that inexplicably WIS had Carlos Gomez tag up at 2B in this situation and almost get thrown out at 3B to end the game.
goodness! didn't even think about that.

when i play ootp mobile, it does that to me all the time (stupidly try to take extra bases or tag up in non-logical moments).

i thought i had played in one of these TOCs before, but i don't remember it being like this.

opening round against the #8 seed (in one of the 4 regions)... a 5-game series... fatigue-wise, each game seems like the equivalent of playing 30 games in a row, because after just the first 2 games, all my batters were dipping below 100% - a problem i didn't have in our season.

and for the pitching rotation, instead of going with only 3 guys like i did in our playoff series, even my SP1 wasn't back to 100% after 4 games.

tied 2-2

p.s. another thing that seems different from before - we are only playing one game per day

i thought i had played in one of these TOCs before, but i don't remember it being like this.
They may have changed something ... used to take a long time, sometimes months, for certain TOCs to fill with high-salary teams (which the FBG teams always are). Do you see evidence that there are $80-million teams in your TOC? Maybe their mixing everything together to get more immediately-filled TOC brackets.

They may have changed something ... used to take a long time, sometimes months, for certain TOCs to fill with high-salary teams (which the FBG teams always are). Do you see evidence that there are $80-million teams in your TOC? Maybe their mixing everything together to get more immediately-filled TOC brackets.
it says it's a $90mm league. The salaries by team range from $75mm to $89mm (i'm at $88mm)

Users who are viewing this thread