What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Business TravelGuys (2 Viewers)

1. I wish there was some semblance of timeline or something for air travel without a damn mask. A good government would just require vaccination to enter the airport.

2. Get an EA and expenses are suddenly way less terrible  :lol:

Re #2, I'm not a typical FBG so my wallet's not fat enough to afford an assistant.  We have a support guy, but he's slammed.  We're hiring someone to be his part-time underling to handle day-to-day data input and whatnot.  I doubt I will get to shirk my expense report submittal duties, unfortunately.  Ours are especially bad because we sometimes have to split expenses across multiple funds (I represent investors in affordable housing) and sometimes multiple projects.  I have a trip planned up to Sacramento next month, with 4 projects to see, and one of those projects draws money from 4 funds.  It'll be a nightmare trying to figure out how to bill.  Fortunately my boss is on that trip so we can compare notes on how to bill.

Two trips left to finish off the year. Leaving on Tuesday for a quick 3-day conference at SeaWorld in Orlando. Then I go on a ship on Sunday for our sales meeting to finish out the year. 

Haven't even looked at 2022 yet but off the top of my head, I have a trip to San Antonio to start things off at the end of January, Venice in March, a possible "work" trip to St. Andrews in April,  Pebble Beach in June, Reykjavik in July or August plus a few more that will inevitably come up. 

Now I just hope that Omicron doesn't screw any of that up...

Two trips left to finish off the year. Leaving on Tuesday for a quick 3-day conference at SeaWorld in Orlando. Then I go on a ship on Sunday for our sales meeting to finish out the year. 

Haven't even looked at 2022 yet but off the top of my head, I have a trip to San Antonio to start things off at the end of January, Venice in March, a possible "work" trip to St. Andrews in April,  Pebble Beach in June, Reykjavik in July or August plus a few more that will inevitably come up. 

Now I just hope that Omicron doesn't screw any of that up...

Dang.  Lucky!  I get to go to hotspots like Omaha and Sacramento in the next 30 days.  I still dig it.

Dang.  Lucky!  I get to go to hotspots like Omaha and Sacramento in the next 30 days.  I still dig it.
One of the benefits of working in the travel industry, is, well.....traveling....and travelling to some pretty cool places. 

I was an airline brat growing up; my dad worked at United/British Airways and Northwest Airlines so I got the bug early. Luckily I have been able to make a career out of it.

Quick look at me here.  I have been on the road almost constantly since early last August.  I am already Ambassador Elite with Marriott through the end of Feb 2023 and just rolled over to Delta Platinum this week.  In addition, I have been in an IHG Hotel (StayBridge) in Carson City, NV since 10/1 and will likely be here until March.  Not sure if it'll apply for the whole stay but I booked in here during a triple points bonus, so I'd guess I'll have some form of IHG Status next year+ too (anyone have any info on IHG's loyalty program?).  Biggest non-monetary benefit this year has been right in the middle of 30 minute drive to Lake Tahoe and Reno (and I have found Carson City a cool little town too).  I have a break last week and had family come in.  We stayed a few days over at Pallisades (Squaw Valley), a few days over at South Lake Tahoe at the lodge, on points (huge room with a balcony right on the gondola) and a day up in Reno.  

I travel for work but (fortunately?) not enough to hit upper-tier status anywhere.  Are there any credits cards or other programs worth looking into that would give extra amenities / access / status?  Airport lounges, upgrades, bonuses?  Based on previous travel / points I've stuck mostly with Hilton hotel brands, American Airlines, Avis.  Are these decent programs or should I be looking to switch it up?  Any good ways to boost points / status?  TIA!

Just booked a trip to Iowa (this time staying in Des Moines) for late December.  I assume it's going to be rather chilly and there may be some of that white stuff everywhere.  Last time I made this trip, I went through Omaha (interesting little city); time before was Kansas City (surprised how big and sprawled out it is).

Also going up to Sacramento in mid-December with my boss.  She's a 50-ish year old widowed lady and I'm shuked on whether I ask if she wants to get dinner on the night we're there or just go separate ways.  I have a few friends in Sac and would prefer to just hang with them, but I feel somewhat obligated to see if she wants to socialize.

I finally bucked up and asked our HR/accounting folks for a company card.  I was using a personal card that has crappy benefits so it was just a hassle having to do expense reports and pay my card back every month.  

Also - somewhat related:  anyone noticing rental cars being less expensive than they were in previous months?

I travel for work but (fortunately?) not enough to hit upper-tier status anywhere.  Are there any credits cards or other programs worth looking into that would give extra amenities / access / status?  Airport lounges, upgrades, bonuses?  Based on previous travel / points I've stuck mostly with Hilton hotel brands, American Airlines, Avis.  Are these decent programs or should I be looking to switch it up?  Any good ways to boost points / status?  TIA!

AA is changing its loyalty program to provide status for spend on the card.  Really the only of the big airlines to do so.

Hilton Hhonors Amex also provides status, depending which card you have.  Base card confers Silver I think, and then Gold if you spend enough.  Aspire card (annual fee) confers Gold and then Diamond if you spend enough.

Hyatt is very easy to hit globalist if you work the cards right.  And you can pick up some further benefits even with modest stays.  

Airline status just isn't what it used to be.  Unless you are in a hub somewhere I wouldn't focus on airline status.

Hyatt is very easy to hit globalist if you work the cards right.  And you can pick up some further benefits even with modest stays.  

Airline status just isn't what it used to be.  Unless you are in a hub somewhere I wouldn't focus on airline status.

Hyatt is in my experience the far and away best of the hotel programs (I've got a Marriott Ambassador and am Hyatt Globalist) for points value and destinations, although Marriott's footprint is larger. I find I get treated better at Hyatt also.

I'm spending my weeks mostly in Phoenix with one in Miami for the next couple months. Excellent timing.

If you have a chance, check out The Chuckbox in Tempe.  Pretty close to ASU.  Great burgers.  And if you're one of those "no wallet / cash" guys, I suggest grabbing cash beforehand as I THINK they're cash-only, although they may have an ATM there.

Enjoy.

I'll be lifetime plat with Marriott whenever this year accrues.  Yay me.  This was a goal of mine years ago when I started on the road... now it just makes me feel old.  :oldunsure:

4 more nights to go this year.

1.5m points... I need to spend these at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be lifetime plat with Marriott whenever this year accrues.  Yay me.  This was a goal of mine years ago when I started on the road... now it just makes me feel old.  :oldunsure:

If you haven't looked lately, their Shop With Points offers are decent.  When my points have gotten high, I've used points to get some things I would have otherwise not spent my own $ on.  

2Young2BBald said:
If you haven't looked lately, their Shop With Points offers are decent.  When my points have gotten high, I've used points to get some things I would have otherwise not spent my own $ on.  

The vacation packages are my preferred route.  

The general consensus is transfer partners make the most sense and specifically into airlines.  Bonvoy has heavily devaluated their program in the last 2-3 years now that spg has merged in.  

The general consensus is transfer partners make the most sense and specifically into airlines.  Bonvoy has heavily devaluated their program in the last 2-3 years now that spg has merged in.  

Yea, that is probably the better max out option.  But I have a ton of airline points too - getting the 5th night free + 100k airline points on the vacation packages works for me.  A short list of my worst travel experiences in this life all revolve around United, so I won't use that extra transfer bonus option between Bonvoy and United.

Yea, that is probably the better max out option.  But I have a ton of airline points too - getting the 5th night free + 100k airline points on the vacation packages works for me.  A short list of my worst travel experiences in this life all revolve around United, so I won't use that extra transfer bonus option between Bonvoy and United.

Alaska is the one with the best sweetspots for domestic, then ANA/JAL are both solid international.  

I would value a bonvoy point at probably 0.6c, maybe as low as 0.45c depending on how the chart moves next year.  Alaska I have at 1.4c and ANA and JAL in sweetspots can range to 2.2c even on non J routing.  You can make a ETH booking to Africa in J and hit the Maldives properties quite easily.  

Last trip of the year has been kiboshed. My son tested positive for Covid yesterday so per our HR guidelines, I have to WFH (we have been in the office since June) until he tests negative via PCR and then I test negative also via PCR. My son is doing well and has had a very mild (~99.5 +/-) fever along with a slight sore throat and head cold. Pretty much the same as my symptoms when I had it in August. 

I was supposed to go to New York tomorrow for our industry awards night but considering my company doesn't allow me to go into the office, it probably didn't make sense for me to travel either. I was double vaxxed by mid April,  got COVID at the end of August and got my booster two weeks ago so I'm not very concerned that I am going to contract it again but it's better to be safe and set a good example than to worry about being asymptomatic but spreading it to someone else.

Overall since June I have taken at least 12 trips that included 3 ocean and one river cruise across 10 different countries. Unfortunately we won't be able to take a 4th cruise that was strictly vacation as I don't think he is going to test negative by Friday (we were leaving on Saturday). Overall though, not too bad for a travel season that didn't actually start until halfway through the year. 

Looking at my 2022 travel schedule, things start out slow but pick up as the year goes on. Looking forward to most of the trips and hope that Omicron or something else derails things.

Off to beautiful Hickory, NC middle of next week.  Temps should be in the high 20s - low 40s.  Yikes.

My project in beautiful Red Oak, IA keeps getting pushed out so I'll be headed out there at least twice more before the summer.

Just took over a project in the middle of nowhere, South Dakota.  I'm talking a good 3 hours ' drive northeast from Rapid City on an Indian reservation.  That should be an interesting visit; probably in March.

I've now explored in Scottsdale:

Andaz

Royal Palms

Phoenician

Gainey Ranch Regency

I would rank them in that order, even though the Hyatt ones all treat me nicer than the Marriott Phoenician.

I've now explored in Scottsdale:

Andaz

Royal Palms

Phoenician

Gainey Ranch Regency

I would rank them in that order, even though the Hyatt ones all treat me nicer than the Marriott Phoenician.

:lol:   You get the nice places.... I just booked at a freakin' Quality Inn in Pierre, South Dakota in mid-February.  Should be nice and chilly.

My company just set a $160 per night limit on our hotels... dafuq?

:lmao:   Not at the moment.

The salesforce is up in arms.... I feel a backtrack coming on.

I just sent my boss 4 cancelled trips on account of hotel rates.
Ouch. Yeah that seems not realistic :lol:

Figure they will need to settle on some sliding scale by area or something or some sort of tracking showing them you aren't out there balling out at the Ritz Carlton.

Ouch. Yeah that seems not realistic :lol:

Figure they will need to settle on some sliding scale by area or something or some sort of tracking showing them you aren't out there balling out at the Ritz Carlton.
I hate unrealistic expense policies.  I'm interviewing now - wish there was a subtle way to find out what the policies are.  The best (and what I have now) are "use your judgment, treat the money like your own".   I've seen it all, including a CEO that mandated everyone use Priceline, meals were capped at $25, etc.  No thanks.

I hate unrealistic expense policies.  I'm interviewing now - wish there was a subtle way to find out what the policies are.  The best (and what I have now) are "use your judgment, treat the money like your own".   I've seen it all, including a CEO that mandated everyone use Priceline, meals were capped at $25, etc.  No thanks.
Got to be some middle ground for sure. 

Anyone go to China lately?  I may have to go this summer.  :scared:
I'm trying to figure out if I can send one of my direct reports for 4 months...

I heard that all previous Chinese visas for non-residents are invalid and a new visa must be approved by the Chinese embassy/consulate.  They aren't granting many of those, but perhaps that's because demand in low. 

Also, I heard that all visitors must spend 2 weeks in a quarantine hotel regardless of vaccination or test status.  They are very serious about their "zero covid" policy. 

I have travelled quite extensively for work over the past 25+ years and continuously use these trips to identify places that I would possibly return to on my own dollar or mark them as "no f'in way". 

One of those that I filed under "never have to go back there again" is Abilene, Kansas, the self-proclaimed Greyhound Capital of the World.

Had to go there in the early 90's for some corporate training (I was the one doing the training). At the time, I had a choice of two hotels in Abilene. One was a Best Western. The other was.......another Best Western across the street. 

I distinctly remember the room that I had because when I walked in, I was amazed how long the room was. It probably ran 30 feet along the wall, and may have been 8 feet from the door to the window. Long and narrow. Bed was on one side to the left and the toilet/sink/shower were all the way on the other side to the right. Strangest hotel room I have ever seen.

I remember leaving Abilene with the clear understanding that it's one place I would never have to return to. And it wasn't only because of the poor hotel choices. 

I get to go to 2 conferences in 2 weeks in Florida. Miami and Orlando. March.  Not thrilled at all 

Is it just the specific destinations your not thrilled with or just Florida in general?

Things are open down here and have been for a year and a half. Regardless of which side of the aisle you're standing on, the ability to return to a somewhat normal existence may be nice.

I have travelled quite extensively for work over the past 25+ years and continuously use these trips to identify places that I would possibly return to on my own dollar or mark them as "no f'in way". 

One of those that I filed under "never have to go back there again" is Abilene, Kansas, the self-proclaimed Greyhound Capital of the World.

Had to go there in the early 90's for some corporate training (I was the one doing the training). At the time, I had a choice of two hotels in Abilene. One was a Best Western. The other was.......another Best Western across the street. 

I distinctly remember the room that I had because when I walked in, I was amazed how long the room was. It probably ran 30 feet along the wall, and may have been 8 feet from the door to the window. Long and narrow. Bed was on one side to the left and the toilet/sink/shower were all the way on the other side to the right. Strangest hotel room I have ever seen.

I remember leaving Abilene with the clear understanding that it's one place I would never have to return to. And it wasn't only because of the poor hotel choices. 
Jackson, MS has long been on that list for me. Oxford, MS was recently added.

I'm trying to figure out if I can send one of my direct reports for 4 months...

I heard that all previous Chinese visas for non-residents are invalid and a new visa must be approved by the Chinese embassy/consulate.  They aren't granting many of those, but perhaps that's because demand in low. 

Also, I heard that all visitors must spend 2 weeks in a quarantine hotel regardless of vaccination or test status.  They are very serious about their "zero covid" policy. 
Hadn't heard about the new visa...thats worth looking into.

Yeah the 2 week quarantine is real. Also, tack on another couple weeks if you intend to transfer into China via HK...you would quarantine 2 weeks in Hong Kong and then 2 more weeks in China..  Ugh.

Currently sitting in the lobby of a Courtyard by Marriott adjacent to the airport in Charlotte.  Silly me booked a 6pm flight when I knew damn well I'd be done with work AND lunch AND the hour drive from where my project was by 1pm.  Was in Hickory, NC last night.  The Courtyard up there was "meh", even though it cost $164.  I gave thought to stay in Charlotte last night and drive to/back from Hickory today but figured being on east coast time I wouldn't want to get up super early.  Hickory was not great.  I was lucky to find Lyft drivers to and from the little "downtown" beer spot last night.

Now I get to sit and actually do work for a few hours.  Yay.

Yeah the 2 week quarantine is real. Also, tack on another couple weeks if you intend to transfer into China via HK...you would quarantine 2 weeks in Hong Kong and then 2 more weeks in China..  Ugh.
Fly direct to Guanzhou or Shenzhen unless you have business in HK.

Thankfully, where I go is an hour drive from Shanghai, so flights are typically not through HK unless you force them.

Fly direct to Guanzhou or Shenzhen unless you have business in HK.

Thankfully, where I go is an hour drive from Shanghai, so flights are typically not through HK unless you force them.
That's the plan.  Unfortunately, that turns into a 4 leg, 38 hour trip.  There may be 2 legs, but like $5-$10k more.  

And, more than a little concerned about the flight canceling ###-for-tat we hsve been doing with China lately, not to mention the geopolitical situation.  Would not be fun to be stuck in China if/when things get tense with Taiwan.

Currently sitting in the lobby of a Courtyard by Marriott adjacent to the airport in Charlotte.  Silly me booked a 6pm flight when I knew damn well I'd be done with work AND lunch AND the hour drive from where my project was by 1pm.  Was in Hickory, NC last night.  The Courtyard up there was "meh", even though it cost $164.  I gave thought to stay in Charlotte last night and drive to/back from Hickory today but figured being on east coast time I wouldn't want to get up super early.  Hickory was not great.  I was lucky to find Lyft drivers to and from the little "downtown" beer spot last night.

Go to Old Mecklenburg brewery.  Great German beer garden, not far from you.  Quite a few other breweries close to you also.

*checks clock* sorry, too late.  You probably should be heading to the airport in the next hour or so.  Next time.

Go to Old Mecklenburg brewery.  Great German beer garden, not far from you.  Quite a few other breweries close to you also.

*checks clock* sorry, too late.  You probably should be heading to the airport in the next hour or so.  Next time.

Darn, next time.  I like beer.  

Is it just the specific destinations your not thrilled with or just Florida in general?

Things are open down here and have been for a year and a half. Regardless of which side of the aisle you're standing on, the ability to return to a somewhat normal existence may be nice.
It’s just 2 conferences that used to be where the action is. Now we have 1/10th of the attendees. More vendors than buyers. Masks all day. And I just don’t like Orlando

Same. First places that come to mind for me are Effingham, Illinois and El Paso, Tx

It’s just 2 conferences that used to be where the action is. Now we have 1/10th of the attendees. More vendors than buyers. Masks all day. And I just don’t like Orlando

Yeah, Orlando sucks. I concur with that sentiment. And the masks all day thing is pretty bad also, especially if you're part of a trade show. Before COVID I never realized how much I relied on facial expressions and limited lip-reading to follow a conversation. Now I just find myself asking people to repeat themselves because I can't hear them clearly as a result of the mask they are wearing. 

Things are starting up again on the corporate travel side and it's not a minute too late. I'm getting antsy having to go into the office day after day. 

Going down to Belize this week for a quick site visit and then to Venice on Saturday for 4 days. Off we go...

Things are starting up again on the corporate travel side and it's not a minute too late. I'm getting antsy having to go into the office day after day. 

Going down to Belize this week for a quick site visit and then to Venice on Saturday for 4 days. Off we go...

Belize... Venice.... sigh.

All the while I'm in Kansas City and Houston. :lol:

Like a dum-dum I totally forgot to check in for my Friday afternoon flight from KC back home to Orange County on Thursday.  I finally remembered on Friday on my way to the airport, but because I kept getting notifications on my phone that the flight was delayed, I figured I'd have plenty of time to check in once I got to the airport.  Nope, apparently the cutoff time is 45 minutes before the ORIGINAL departure time.  I missed the window by like 10 minutes.  I heard people next to me at the ticket counter checking in for LAX, so I asked if I could get on that flight.  I was able to get a seat on that plane, and it was direct.  Sometimes a mistake turns into a "silver lining" type of thing, because as soon as I touched down at LAX, I got a notification that my connection from Vegas back to OC was canceled outright LOL.  So I would have either been stuck in Vegas (sure, worse places to get stuck) or scrambling to find the last flight into OC on Southwest.

It was a $200 Uber ride from LAX to OC airport to get my car, but on the company's dime and I ended up getting home earlier than I would have had the flight not been canceled.

Ah the joys of work travel.  Off to Houston and NE Texas W-F of this week.

Last week I was in Lisbon. Love that city. The weather sucked (cool, gray and rainy) most of the time but it was still Portugal, so...awesome.

Got home last night and have a quick turnaround as my flight leaves at 10:15a for Barbados. Sitting in the American Airlines lounge right now. with a bloody mary, trying to catch up on some of last weeks e-mails. 

The airports are packed people. If you're not travelling now (for business or personal), there shouldn't be anything holding you back. Granted I have had to test 5 times in the past 10 days, all negative thankfully, and every country has different policies and paperwork to have to manage through but all in all, if you're prepared, travel is easy. 

Users who are viewing this thread