What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Business TravelGuys (1 Viewer)

Just learned that our project in SW Iowa is on its last legs in terms of staying in as one of our investments.  It looks like I'll get one last trip in (next month) before it dies on the vine.  I hate losing deals, especially when I grow accustomed to going out to visit.

Just learned that our project in SW Iowa is on its last legs in terms of staying in as one of our investments.  It looks like I'll get one last trip in (next month) before it dies on the vine.  I hate losing deals, especially when I grow accustomed to going out to visit.
Well things are looking up on this front, which is great.... cuz I love my trips to Omaha and rural SW Iowa.  No, really.

And, while I have you here... y'all should enjoy this one.  I'm headed back from Omaha to OC Cali a couple weeks ago and I'm on my layover in DFW.  I get to the gate and sit down, flip open the laptop to check email (OK who am I kidding, I just got on to check the FFA) and I'm hangin' out waiting for flight to leave.

All of a sudden, I hear what sounds like a parrot or some kind of bird.  Huh. Weird.  Couple minutes go by, and I hear it again.  And again.  And another time.  So finally I spin my head around and see some guy standing in the gate area that's got some kind of twitch.  Sure enough it's some guy making the parrot noises.  And he keeps apologizing to everyone around him by saying "sorry, I have Tourette's, don't mind me!".  

Finally it's time to board, and I think to myself "how much you wanna bet this guy is sitting right next to you.....".  He boards, I board, and sure as poop he's sitting in the row just ahead of me in the aisle seat (I'm in the window seat).  Thank God for noise-cancelling headphones because he was squawking like a parrot the entire trip.  

I'm not trying to make light of the disease here, FWIW.  I had actually not heard that folks with Tourette's would do things like that.  I knew they'd say random things uncontrollably or make tics, but squawking like a parrot?

And, because of my noise-cancelling headphones, he wasn't even the most annoying thing on the flight.  The 4-year old kid behind me slamming into my seat half the trip was pretty distracting until I finally turned around, gave the mom my best "stop it NOW face" and politely asked for her to have the kid stop.  Which it did.

Still..... I heart work travel.  Off to Pierre, SD today!

After 6 international trips in 8 weeks, my month of May has nothing on it for any corporate trips. I am heading to Chicago next weekend for a wedding and then driving to Wisconsin to clean out my parents storage unit that they haven't touched for 17 years. Should be interesting.

Once June hits, things start picking up again with trips to Denver, Chicago and Pebble Beach to round out the month. Then in July, it's Las Vegas and Reykjavik, Iceland. 

August has a sales meeting at the Hard Rock in Hollywood FL, a stop at the JW Marriott in Nashville and then Disneyland for another conference. 

Summer is going to be busy!

Something I just recently learned about and had no idea. 

My wife travels some for work and has been able to at least get some status with Marriott.  Not really much else.

However, it seems many rewards programs with hotels and airlines will do status matches or status match challenges.  Basically, you show them that you have status for a certain airline or hotel and can get some status upgrade at other programs as a result.  As she's about to hit Titanium Elite for this year, she can then get a United Silver status.  She can then use that status to get Southwest A-List status.  Kind of cool.

Airline match options for 2022

Hotel match options for 2022

Last edited by a moderator:
Been out and about just about once a month for a year or so now.  Used Frontier Airlines twice.  BOTH times, my final leg was outright canceled.  First time was night before New Years Eve in Vegas (woulda been hell trying to find hotel), got on the plane and was ready to push back and they canceled.  Had to scramble and luckily some guy I was on the flight with tipped me off to a website that was able to find and rebook you on another flight and Frontier paid you back.  Second time was in Denver, canceled a couple hours before departure.  Couldn't recall name of the website so had to just go directly through Southwest.  Fares were through the roof to Orange County so had to go through LAX and Ubered home.  Still cheaper.

So basically F Frontier.

That said, United almost stranded me in Houston this past Friday night, but not really their fault.  Tons of delays coming from the East coast.  

I love work travel but felt a little burned out after this last one.  Thankfully I'm not traveling again for a full calendar month and when I finally get back to it, it's just up to Sacramento for the night.  Easy peasy.

In Southern Illinois this week visiting my MIL with my wife and son. It's nice to get out to the country a little bit and enjoy a bit of a slower pace. 

Flying back to Miami tomorrow (fingers crossed I get there) and then off to San Francisco on Sunday morning for a round of golf at Pebble Beach and Spyglass before heading back to Miami on Thursday. 

My job responsibilities are changing a little bit so I may not be travelling as much but am still planning on going to Iceland at the end of August. Looking forward to that one (which will also get me to Platinum on AA) through 2023.

The exotic locales just keep piling up.  Up in Sacramento for a night next week... back to middle-of-nowhere South Dakota mid-August and then a 3-nighter in Knoxville/Nashville in September.

Took another job (within the same company) that's going to slow down my travel considerably. Still heading to Iceland next month plus a trip to New York and Galveston later in the year. Outside of that, I'm not sure what other travel will come up. It will be kind of up to me. Still hoping to get back to Pebble Beach next June though.

On the upside, it's my son's senior year in HS so at least I'm going to be home for most of that. Plus Fall/Spring ball. Won't miss any games this year!

Did a quick scan through this thread and did not see anything mentioned about luggage (unless I missed it). 

Got a new work gig where I’llbe traveling 3-5 times a year for three or four day trips. I don’t travel enough where I want to break the bank but I would like to get some luggage that I can carry on. It would be good if it could hold a suit and couple pair of pants and dress shirts and the essentials. 

Any suggestions? 

Did a quick scan through this thread and did not see anything mentioned about luggage (unless I missed it). 

Got a new work gig where I’llbe traveling 3-5 times a year for three or four day trips. I don’t travel enough where I want to break the bank but I would like to get some luggage that I can carry on. It would be good if it could hold a suit and couple pair of pants and dress shirts and the essentials. 

Any suggestions? 
I have had the Tumi Roller bag, actually 3 of them, and would recommend.

I have had the Tumi Roller bag, actually 3 of them, and would recommend.
Wow! Those would break my bank. At least the ones I saw on Amazon.  Maybe if I was traveling monthly but I am at best once a quarter. 

Thanks for the suggestion but I would like to be quite a bit lower in price. 

Binky The Doormat said:

Same.  :thumbup:

I've had the same bag for approaching a decade now. Thing has been to over a dozen countries and probably 75-100 domestic flight segments... still works great. Have washed it, sewed up a seam that was starting to split, and trimmed some fraying fibers along a few high wear edges... but it's showing no signs of needing replacement. 

Plus mine has the two rollerblade wheels vs the 4 roller style. IMO much more durable and better for dragging across uneven surfaces. 

Beef Ravioli said:
Wow! Those would break my bank. At least the ones I saw on Amazon.  Maybe if I was traveling monthly but I am at best once a quarter. 

Thanks for the suggestion but I would like to be quite a bit lower in price. 
Yeah, they aren't cheap but you get what you pay for when it comes to luggage. If you don't travel a lot, a simple carry-on (21'-22") would work just fine. They have a lot at TJ Maxx/Marshall's/Ross that may fit what you are looking for.

Same.  :thumbup:

I've had the same bag for approaching a decade now. Thing has been to over a dozen countries and probably 75-100 domestic flight segments... still works great. Have washed it, sewed up a seam that was starting to split, and trimmed some fraying fibers along a few high wear edges... but it's showing no signs of needing replacement. 

Plus mine has the two rollerblade wheels vs the 4 roller style. IMO much more durable and better for dragging across uneven surfaces. 

Yeah, my Swiss Gear luggage got a pretty sizable tear/rip in the seam of the front pocket thing.  But I haven't needed to sew it up though. 

It's a solid bag.  I don't use it much, even the fair amount of travel that I do.  I usually only travel to spots for 1-2 nights so I have a duffel-ish type bag for that.  But if I'm going somewhere for 3+ nights I use my Swiss Gear luggage.

I have found the Away bag to be fine for little trips when I don't want to risk my Tumi (e.g., we are going to a beach) or when I know I have a tight turn (e.g., get home Sunday morning and I packed a week in the Tumi already because I fly out sunday night). 

It's very no frills, which I hate for a real bag to use weekly, but is fine for a few uses a year.

Off to Pierre, SD on Wednesday for the third time. I'm a pro at this trip now... connect to a tiny plane in Denver, got a nice steakhouse I'll visit again and a couple of bars that I took a shining too that I'll have a few drinks at during my downtime. Assuming it'll be my last trip out there for this particular project. Looking forward to it, knocking on wood for no weather issues.

I just ordered this for when I have a 1-2 night trip that requires a jacket or suit. Will report back once received and used.

I just ordered this for when I have a 1-2 night trip that requires a jacket or suit. Will report back once received and used.

Looks like a solid bag at a very reasonable price. I never ever need a jacket or suit so this would be overkill for me.

Let us know what you think!

I'm in LA now M-Th through the end of October. Staying in downtown right by the arena and LA Live and all that. Anyone advice on great food?

In Southern Illinois this week visiting my MIL with my wife and son. It's nice to get out to the country a little bit and enjoy a bit of a slower pace.

Flying back to Miami tomorrow (fingers crossed I get there) and then off to San Francisco on Sunday morning for a round of golf at Pebble Beach and Spyglass before heading back to Miami on Thursday.

My job responsibilities are changing a little bit so I may not be travelling as much but am still planning on going to Iceland at the end of August. Looking forward to that one (which will also get me to Platinum on AA) through 2023.

Platinum only? Seems like you've got a lot of trips and I'd have thought you'd be a level or two higher unless you're airline agnostic.

Platinum only? Seems like you've got a lot of trips and I'd have thought you'd be a level or two higher unless you're airline agnostic.
Sorry, Executive Platinum is what it should say....ahem....

Shoot the lock off of your wallet and upgrade to Concierge Key.

I can't believe someone is selling CK status on eBay. I've been ExecPlat forever and these days, it means less than ever IMO.

Shoot the lock off of your wallet and upgrade to Concierge Key.

I can't believe someone is selling CK status on eBay. I've been ExecPlat forever and these days, it means less than ever IMO.
Yeah, that ain't happening. I'm calling on BS on AA actually being behind that.

I'm in LA now M-Th through the end of October. Staying in downtown right by the arena and LA Live and all that. Anyone advice on great food?

Only place I'm real familiar with right around there is Tom's Urban... which I think is now called Tom's Watch Bar.

Y'all do weird OCD-ish things while traveling? I sure do.

For example, I say goodbye to the hotel room I stayed in, thanking it for its hospitality. :oldunsure: I feel that due to it having so many people in and out of it, using it for critical things like work and sleep, that it has somehow developed a soul. I know, I'm off.

And I definitely always Google/Yelp to find a local dive bar and/or restaurant to eat at. I try to not eat at chains unless I'm driving on interstate project to project. And even then I will try getting a regional chain like Whataburger. Mmmm.... Whataburger....

Wrapping up what may be my last biz trip of the year here in Sacramento. I may head back out to South Dakota (again) and perhaps back up here to Sac in December if I'm cleared to.

Hope you biz travelers stay safe out there during the holiday season!

I’m heading to Houston next week for 5 days. That’s pretty much all I have scheduled until the end of the year. May have a few one-offs, but nothing significant.

If youre ever in LA the only thing worth anything there is Northern China dumplings and wontons. Freakin incredible.

Everything else there...if I never go back it would be too soon. 13 weeks too many.

I’m heading to Houston next week for 5 days. That’s pretty much all I have scheduled until the end of the year. May have a few one-offs, but nothing significant.

Chuy's, Goode Co BBQ (on Kirby), and any Vietnamese you can find. If you want to spend $, Brennan's is my favourite.

Heading to the UK tonight for a week. Upgraded to Business Class both ways - I think I'd rather die than fly coach internationally.

So I finally hit Ambassador Elite for Marriott. I have 143 nights this year (yeah, it's been quite the year...).

This isn't work travel related, but I think we have some Marriott point power users in here. I am trying to use my Marriot (and combining Chase points) for a vacation stay. I stayed at this resort before and want the same suite that I had this past spring. It appears, however, that while I can book rooms with points, I cannot use points for the suite (the suite shows as available when I do a regular search). Is there any work around? I probably only have enough points for 1-2 nights of the total stay anyway though.

This isn't work travel related, but I think we have some Marriott point power users in here. I am trying to use my Marriot (and combining Chase points) for a vacation stay. I stayed at this resort before and want the same suite that I had this past spring. It appears, however, that while I can book rooms with points, I cannot use points for the suite (the suite shows as available when I do a regular search). Is there any work around? I probably only have enough points for 1-2 nights of the total stay anyway though.
Initial thought is you might have some success with a Suite Night Award if you have any. Other things I have used to success:
1. Email the hotel manager to say "we are celebrating our anniversary" (I've never lied about this, but I do it every Memorial Day weekend and it often nets an upgrade. We've been married 4 years and twice it also netted a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries - well once each - and 4/4 a nice card which makes my wife smile). We once ran into a couple in the airport with matching honeymoon shirts and they were like "it's our fourth one it's great!" which felt like over a line to me but whatever.

2. If you have a friend (maybe our newly minted Ambassador stats @kutta you may have some success having them book you as their guest, which sometimes can confer their status to you for the stay. I do this for my parents at Hyatt, for example (it's an explicit benefit called Guest of Honor for globalists, unsure about Marriott since I'm down to like only 75 nights/year there).

3. You didn't ask, but in general you get WAY more value out of Chase points by transferring them to Hyatt and booking on Hyatt points. I'm not sure if it is similarly more valuable to transfer to Marriott (vs using through the Chase portal) but it's worth a google (check pointsguy, upgradedmiles, onemileatatime)

Initial thought is you might have some success with a Suite Night Award if you have any. Other things I have used to success:
1. Email the hotel manager to say "we are celebrating our anniversary" (I've never lied about this, but I do it every Memorial Day weekend and it often nets an upgrade. We've been married 4 years and twice it also netted a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries - well once each - and 4/4 a nice card which makes my wife smile). We once ran into a couple in the airport with matching honeymoon shirts and they were like "it's our fourth one it's great!" which felt like over a line to me but whatever.

2. If you have a friend (maybe our newly minted Ambassador stats @kutta you may have some success having them book you as their guest, which sometimes can confer their status to you for the stay. I do this for my parents at Hyatt, for example (it's an explicit benefit called Guest of Honor for globalists, unsure about Marriott since I'm down to like only 75 nights/year there).

3. You didn't ask, but in general you get WAY more value out of Chase points by transferring them to Hyatt and booking on Hyatt points. I'm not sure if it is similarly more valuable to transfer to Marriott (vs using through the Chase portal) but it's worth a google (check pointsguy, upgradedmiles, onemileatatime)
I emailed the reservation specialist I worked with this spring and basically they said to book with points and then request and pay cash for an upgrade. Will need to do it over the phone though to guarantee I get what I want.

I emailed the reservation specialist I worked with this spring and basically they said to book with points and then request and pay cash for an upgrade. Will need to do it over the phone though to guarantee I get what I want.
I mean, paying for it also tends to work of course lol. I thought you meant looking for ways to do it without cost.

I mean, paying for it also tends to work of course lol. I thought you meant looking for ways to do it without cost.
Well using points for all but the additional amount for the upgrade is still WAY cheaper than paying the whole thing. I wouldn’t have enough points for 4 nights anyway. It would be a few million points and I have like 500k.

Finally made it to Premier 1K on United. I don’t have any flights planned but I’m jonesing to book a flight just so I can stroll on the plane ahead of everyone like a boss. Sure it’s lame and boarding early is overrated, but dammit I want to feel special!

Anyone's company use Navan?

My company is migrating over to them for all business travel.

I've been using a corporate AMEX and ExpenseWire for about 3-4 years now and have gotten used to the combo working fairly well, but I'm being told Navan is going to simplify things even more.

I hate change though. :lol:

I've been using a corporate AMEX and ExpenseWire for about 3-4 years now and have gotten used to the combo working fairly well, but I'm being told Navan is going to simplify things even more.

We do, it's fine. Kind of annoying to have a separate expense solution, we use Coupa for that, but it does integrate and bring over the receipts for what you book in Navan. Not sure if Navan has it's own expense functionality and we just don't use it.

Our company has rolled out the Navan rewards program, which encourages you to pick cheaper hotel options in exchange for awards dollars you can use to book personal hotel travel. But they're like $2-$10 a stay usually, so you'd have to travel a lot for it to make it worth anything. Notwithstanding 6 trips over the next 6 weeks (PHX, SF, SF, Durham, Jacksonville, Cancun), I'm usually about a twice a quarter traveller.

We do, it's fine. Kind of annoying to have a separate expense solution, we use Coupa for that, but it does integrate and bring over the receipts for what you book in Navan. Not sure if Navan has it's own expense functionality and we just don't use it.

Our company has rolled out the Navan rewards program, which encourages you to pick cheaper hotel options in exchange for awards dollars you can use to book personal hotel travel. But they're like $2-$10 a stay usually, so you'd have to travel a lot for it to make it worth anything. Notwithstanding 6 trips over the next 6 weeks (PHX, SF, SF, Durham, Jacksonville, Cancun), I'm usually about a twice a quarter traveller.
To the bolded, it does, and that's the main reason we're switching over to it.

For those of us with corporate AMEX cards, our charges would auto-import into ExpenseWire and I would just have to upload receipts to back up the expense, and then assign it to a project (or projects).

But it sounds like we won't even have to keep our receipts with Navan... it'll all be integrated/seamless.

Related note with more trips coming up this year (the above plus trips to Kona and Guadalajara in the Fall) I finally bit the bullet and got the AMEX Platinum Card today, largely for access to Centurion lounges. Flying out of a regional airport now I have to use a couple of different airlines and usually have to connect through SEA, DEN, IAH, LAX, or SFO, and they have locations in each of those. I also tend to purposefully schedule 2-3 hour layovers as too many times I've missed a connection home with so few daily options into EUG, so it'll be nice to be able to take advantage of those.

Related note with more trips coming up this year (the above plus trips to Kona and Guadalajara in the Fall) I finally bit the bullet and got the AMEX Platinum Card today, largely for access to Centurion lounges. Flying out of a regional airport now I have to use a couple of different airlines and usually have to connect through SEA, DEN, IAH, LAX, or SFO, and they have locations in each of those. I also tend to purposefully schedule 2-3 hour layovers as too many times I've missed a connection home with so few daily options into EUG, so it'll be nice to be able to take advantage of those.
I fly through Orange County and as you and others may know, they have a curfew. I have missed my flight home many times because of it... and got routed up to LAX only to have to Uber back to SNA :lol:

For those of us with corporate AMEX cards, our charges would auto-import into ExpenseWire and I would just have to upload receipts to back up the expense, and then assign it to a project (or projects).

But it sounds like we won't even have to keep our receipts with Navan... it'll all be integrated/seamless.
We have Rydoo for expenses, and it is SO SLOW - I feel for my EA because a year and a half ago doing them myself I hated. She's amazing very grateful she will do them for me. It does integrate into the corporate AmEx and autopopulate, it's just edits that always seem super laggy.

We only need receipts for certain things - hotel folios and anything that isn't a restaurant/bar, car rental, or other transit (parking, uber, etc). Basically means if you want to grab groceries and eat a little healthier at hotel you need a receipt.

We have Rydoo for expenses, and it is SO SLOW - I feel for my EA because a year and a half ago doing them myself I hated. She's amazing very grateful she will do them for me. It does integrate into the corporate AmEx and autopopulate, it's just edits that always seem super laggy.

We only need receipts for certain things - hotel folios and anything that isn't a restaurant/bar, car rental, or other transit (parking, uber, etc). Basically means if you want to grab groceries and eat a little healthier at hotel you need a receipt.
I work for a tax credit syndicator... meaning we line up investors and owners of affordable housing. We have like 20+ funds that we have to assign charges to, and within them, projects that we visit. When I didn't have the corporate AMEX that autopopulated to our expense report system, it would take me a good 2 hours to do an expense report. The AMEX was a game-changer and cut that time in half or more. I would still have to collect receipts, sometimes having to go back to hotel websites to retrieve folios, take pics of restaurant and gas receipts and email to myself.... kind of a pain.

This Navan system reportedly has everything integrated and receipts won't be necessary. Just use the Navan Visa card and then go online and assign it a fund/project.

I work for a tax credit syndicator... meaning we line up investors and owners of affordable housing. We have like 20+ funds that we have to assign charges to, and within them, projects that we visit. When I didn't have the corporate AMEX that autopopulated to our expense report system, it would take me a good 2 hours to do an expense report. The AMEX was a game-changer and cut that time in half or more. I would still have to collect receipts, sometimes having to go back to hotel websites to retrieve folios, take pics of restaurant and gas receipts and email to myself.... kind of a pain.

This Navan system reportedly has everything integrated and receipts won't be necessary. Just use the Navan Visa card and then go online and assign it a fund/project.

I’ve had a corporate Amex before, and it was indeed super convenient for expenses. But I also got no miles/points/cash back at all. I can see at some point that tradeoff might be worth it. But much like “unlimited vacation”, a corporate card is usually used because it ultimately benefits the company, not the employee.

Making a career change soon and will need to do lots of short trips in suit attire. Anyone have a garment bag for suits they like for travel? Also, the new place seems to love chartered plane travel. Pretty excited about that part.

Users who are viewing this thread