What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buy Dez bryant Right now (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Ed Werder both report that the Cowboys expect Dez Bryant (groin, questionable) to play Sunday at Carolina.

This is good news from two of the most reliable reporters in the business. Bryant has really turned it on over his last two games with 21 catches on 28 targets for 200 yards and two touchdowns. He's a borderline WR1 play against the Panthers' 23rd ranked pass defense.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

I just hope this does not turn into something bad.

I prefer a week off to rest it.

I just traded for him before last weeks game.

Catches a pass on the first drive, fights for yards, looks good.

Then you notice him on the sideline, then the dreaded report from the sideline reporter:

"Dez Bryant aggravated his cranky groin, his return is questionable"

And we all know he is finished with 1-12.

:wall:

Not a Dez owner here but my condolences and best wishes to those who are. I've gone after him and Romo both too many times over the past few years and been disappointed. I'm sure it's because with their physical tools we always reach for them as a WR or QB#1--and somehow they never hold that level of play; if you can draft them accordingly or pick them off waivers later then I'd be pleased but in my leagues that never seems to be the case.

Not a Dez owner here but my condolences and best wishes to those who are. I've gone after him and Romo both too many times over the past few years and been disappointed. I'm sure it's because with their physical tools we always reach for them as a WR or QB#1--and somehow they never hold that level of play; if you can draft them accordingly or pick them off waivers later then I'd be pleased but in my leagues that never seems to be the case.
Who has ever drafted Dez as a true WR1 in anything but maybe a dynasty startup? Even that might be a stretch.

Catches a pass on the first drive, fights for yards, looks good.Then you notice him on the sideline, then the dreaded report from the sideline reporter:"Dez Bryant aggravated his cranky groin, his return is questionable"And we all know he is finished with 1-12. :wall:
This is precisely why I plan to start Britt and Cobb over him. Groin injuries are nothing to sneeze at. It's very likely that he's pulled early.

Who has ever drafted Dez as a true WR1 in anything but maybe a dynasty startup? Even that might be a stretch.
I didn't go after historical numbers, but in my two leagues this year Dez went #12 and #13 which is admittedly on the cusp. The VBD I pulled up had him at WR#11 and Romo at QB#8. Performance-wise I'm surprised to see Dez at #10ppg in my PPR league, while Romo is buried way back at #21. In my other league they sit at #23 and #17 which I find unsurprising.

'glumpy said:
'We Tigers said:
'glumpy said:
I didn't go after historical numbers, but in my two leagues this year Dez went #12 and #13 which is admittedly on the cusp. The VBD I pulled up had him at WR#11 and Romo at QB#8. Performance-wise I'm surprised to see Dez at #10ppg in my PPR league, while Romo is buried way back at #21. In my other league they sit at #23 and #17 which I find unsurprising.
Wild. I think the earliest I saw him go in any of my leagues was when I drafted him as WR19.

hes just not that good. he cant catch. braylon edwards part 2 but without the single elite season.
He is one of the most explosive receivers in the game. Have you ever seen him healthy against one-on-one coverage?.....he blows it away. HOWEVER....off the field he has a questionable history and does have an injury rap sheet that is starting to add up. I really feel bad for Dallas fans as they seem to have a lot of talent on the roster but cannot seem to get over the hump of finding ways to defeat themselves. I say buy-low if the Dez owner is selling low. If the stars align (I would bet against that) he can be a top 3 WR in this league. Worth the lottery ticket at a discount.

He had 4 targets?
Carolina has been good at shutting down the top option in the passing game this year. I expected Dez to have a big game without Gamble in the lineup, but Captain Munnerlyn and Josh Norman played pretty well against Dez today.

hes just not that good. he cant catch. braylon edwards part 2 but without the single elite season.
He is one of the most explosive receivers in the game. Have you ever seen him healthy against one-on-one coverage?.....he blows it away. HOWEVER....off the field he has a questionable history and does have an injury rap sheet that is starting to add up. I really feel bad for Dallas fans as they seem to have a lot of talent on the roster but cannot seem to get over the hump of finding ways to defeat themselves. I say buy-low if the Dez owner is selling low. If the stars align (I would bet against that) he can be a top 3 WR in this league. Worth the lottery ticket at a discount.
theres really no way for me to prove this, but i downplay off the field and personality problems drastically relative the pundits and peanuts.anyway, my problem with him is that he sucks at catching the football. ive watched enough of him. obv hes a physical monster. it doesnt matter if he cant catch. hes just like braylon. ask chase stuart and matt waldman and other scouts how highly they ranked braylon in terms of ability.

He has no trade value. I tried like hell to trade him this week. All I got back was "dez sucks" and this coming off his 12/90/2 game or whatever it was. He has that stigma.

Braylon is too easy of reference point.....Dez is much more explosive. Roddy White also struggled with drops early on. Dez has enough God given talent to still take a chance on.

(BTW I traded Dez and picks 3 weeks ago for RG3).

Braylon is too easy of reference point.....Dez is much more explosive. Roddy White also struggled with drops early on. Dez has enough God given talent to still take a chance on.(BTW I traded Dez and picks 3 weeks ago for RG3).
im not sure there is a worse comparison to dez than roddy. roddy was prolific as soon as he got the starting role. its 3 yrs and we are still waiting for dez.

Braylon is too easy of reference point.....Dez is much more explosive. Roddy White also struggled with drops early on. Dez has enough God given talent to still take a chance on.(BTW I traded Dez and picks 3 weeks ago for RG3).
im not sure there is a worse comparison to dez than roddy. roddy was prolific as soon as he got the starting role. its 3 yrs and we are still waiting for dez.
I am simply comparing the "dropsies' between the two. I remember Roddy having inconsistent hands the first few years. I am not a Dez heartthrob....but will defend his ability. He is as quick off the line as anyone in the league. He has the physical ability to be the best in the league. Would I bet he meets that potential...nope. However if an owner wants to sell low I am interested just based on his potential.

He was a stud WR1 last week according to this thread, and now he's Braylon Edwards. You guys are so wishy-washy.

Regardless, I'm so glad I offloaded this turd for Matthews prior to Week 5. My new motto is to avoid players that are headcases.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is what is so funny about the Shark Pool.

The guy's numbers, per target, have been consistent. He was hurt yesterday, visibly so, and didn't get many targets because of it. Calm down.

After reading the responses in this thread, I'm thinking I should go make an offer on Dez. He was coming off an injury and was clearly a little gimpy/slow yesterday as a result of it...plus, the panthers were playing pretty good coverage on him.

Could've sworn he was getting smelling salts on sidelines. Was he concussed? He came back in so I guess not but I didn't watch the game

Could've sworn he was getting smelling salts on sidelines. Was he concussed? He came back in so I guess not but I didn't watch the game
I am pretty sure it was just his groin - but I could have missed it. I don't know why they kept putting him out to return punts, then pulling him as a WR for stretches.

Got nailed in the head on a punt return....best playmaker on O and Garret has him returning punts....just unreal! Think he went back in so should be ok but you never know...

Could have saved his line by catching that TD pass in his hands but he dropped it....then looks for pass interference where the DB didnt even touch him....guy is frustrating but has too much talent.....still like him as a #2 WR....will give you big games but some stinkers as well.

Thought this was interesting, with the amount of flack Dez is taking.

His catch rate is 70.6%. Top 8 in the NFL, and most of those guys play the slot.

Thought this was interesting, with the amount of flack Dez is taking.His catch rate is 70.6%. Top 8 in the NFL, and most of those guys play the slot.
That is kind of interesting. The biggest thing holding Dez back, besides his own stupidity, is his lack of report with Romo. If they could ever get on the same page and the Cowgirls would actually target him, he would live up to hype.

Thought this was interesting, with the amount of flack Dez is taking.His catch rate is 70.6%. Top 8 in the NFL, and most of those guys play the slot.
That is kind of interesting. The biggest thing holding Dez back, besides his own stupidity, is his lack of report with Romo. If they could ever get on the same page and the Cowgirls would actually target him, he would live up to hype.
His target % is at 22, up from 17. That number is the highest on the team, despite last week's 4 target performance, due to injury. I think he is getting there.

theres really no way for me to prove this, but i downplay off the field and personality problems drastically relative the pundits and peanuts.anyway, my problem with him is that he sucks at catching the football. ive watched enough of him. obv hes a physical monster. it doesnt matter if he cant catch. hes just like braylon. ask chase stuart and matt waldman and other scouts how highly they ranked braylon in terms of ability.
Didn't be catch 13 of 15 targets one week ago?

Didn't be catch 13 of 15 targets one week ago?
Ignore anything that suggests he can't catch. He has had 3 drops this year (that I recall), but they all happened to be in big moments. It is not a fluke, his catch % has always been good. He has great hands, and has been praised through his career. I can't remember if it was Witten or Romo, but one of them said Bryant had the best hands on the team last year. Jason Witten is leading the team in drops, can he catch? Bad stretches can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of amazing how the opinions go from one extreme to the other from week to week, but this seems to be the way it always is with Dez.

But I don't know what people want. He catches 13 balls and all people want to talk about is a 2 point conversion he didn't catch. He gets targeted 4 times the next week and somehow that is indicative of his utter ineptness. Vernon Davis didn't get a single target last week. Does that mean he is terrible? Fitz had a one-catch performance earlier this year. Is that a sign that he's bad? Just seems amazing that people can make the news instead of just report it, depending on what they want the result to be. I think they call that the self-fulfilling prophecy.

bryant had a 60% catch rate last season and 62% his rookie yr. for his career he is at 63%. its a fine number, and his ypc is fine too. but its very far from exceptional. sure he is at 70% this yr, but his ypc is a mere 10.5. this guy is way way overhyped.

bryant had a 60% catch rate last season and 62% his rookie yr. for his career he is at 63%. its a fine number, and his ypc is fine too. but its very far from exceptional. sure he is at 70% this yr, but his ypc is a mere 10.5. this guy is way way overhyped.
It is exceptional for a guy who plays on the outside. Most of his per target production measurements are. Targets are the only thing preventing top 10-12 production.

You list some very impressive stats for a WR playing the outside and then call Dez over-hyped. :confused:

the funny thing is, after looking at his catch rate, target volume and ypc, i was thinking he was a lot worse than my initial low perception. but ya 70% and 10.5 is grate. brandon pettigrew agrees. so does amendola.

the funny thing is, after looking at his catch rate, target volume and ypc, i was thinking he was a lot worse than my initial low perception. but ya 70% and 10.5 is grate. brandon pettigrew agrees. so does amendola.
Look at Roddy White, before Julio got there to open things up. That is how the Cowboys are using Bryant this year. But he is very clearly a play maker, and his past per target stats show that.Of course, once Dallas' line allows Garrett to call the game he would like to, and go deep more often, his catch rate will drop below %70 - but his YPR/YPT will drastically rise.

Memo to Cowboys. Please take Dez off punt duties. Guy gets lit up consistently. Keep his focus on trying to catch the ball from Romo.

TE and slot WR. How many guys that play outside are at 70%+ target conversion this season?

TE and slot WR. How many guys that play outside are at 70%+ target conversion this season?
you are only looking at one piece. who cares what his catch rate is when he is only getting 10.5 ypc. i really should not have to spell this stuff out.

Users who are viewing this thread