What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can Finley be trusted? (1 Viewer)

JustinHawkins

Footballguy
Lots of talk this preseason that Finley appears to be a new man. That he's healthy, motivated, and a primary if not alpha weapon in the offense. But haven't we heard all this before? How many of you sharks trust him as your #1 TE?

I'm buying in. It's also a contract year for him, so it could definitely be a career year.

I've been pairing him with Julius Thomas.

I drafted him with high hopes only to realize that I just drafted Finley to hold down my TE position. I immediately drafted Jordan Cameron and have been trying to move Finley in trades every since. As a Longhorn, I have watched this kid play since high school. He has the talent but not the drive or mindset to ever be great. However, if there is a year that he can put it all together, this is the year...he is looking to get paid. He is high risk reward.

I agree, truly high risk, but also high reward IF it all come together. I didn't like seeing the drop the other night though....

I drafted him with high hopes only to realize that I just drafted Finley to hold down my TE position. I immediately drafted Jordan Cameron and have been trying to move Finley in trades every since. As a Longhorn, I have watched this kid play since high school. He has the talent but not the drive or mindset to ever be great. However, if there is a year that he can put it all together, this is the year...he is looking to get paid. He is high risk reward.
ROFL, that was pretty much my exact reaction upon landing him in the 10th round earlier this week. Yeah, he's a "steal" at TE11, but I've been blinded by his talent too many times before to trust him as my go-to guy. I think you pretty much have to do what I did, which is turn around and pair him with a mid-range guy like a Myers or Bennett as a fallback. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Finley go either 75/1,000/8 or 50/500/2 this season.

You can trust him only as much as you can trust any TE outside of Graham/Gronk/Witten/Gonzo.

Past those guys he's as good of a target for your dart to hit as any really. If you don't get a top guy, you should aim for 2 high upside plays. Finley/Cameron is my favorite to actually score well personally but it's earlier picks than many are willing to give up for 2 TE.

for me, its a crap shoot after the top guys. for the price i paid for finley, he will more than suffice and has the best upside of the remaining players imo.

He's not high risk, high reward. He doesn't cost much, either in an auction or a draft pick and there are a number of good TEs to get as a backup in case it doesn't work out. His floor, absent injury, is right around where he's being drafted. TE #8 or so. But you can't be upset if he only plays to his floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not high risk, high reward. He doesn't cost much, either in an auction or a draft pick and there are a number of good TEs to get as a backup in case it doesn't work out. His floor, absent injury, it right around where he's being drafted. TE #8 or so. But you can't be upset of he only plays to his floor.
You consider his floor to be higher than he's ever finished?

Short answer is No. I don't think even Rodgers trusts him. Once he gets his WR's back on the field, I suspect we see all the production go back to them.

No, of course you cannot fully trust him but his ADP reflects that. Low floor, high ceiling is the name of the game. It certainly looks more promising this year due to him moving up the receiving pecking order, him being in a contract year and etc. but you should prepare for the worst, i.e, back him up with someone else. I have absolutely no problem with drafting him at his current ADP however.

He's not high risk, high reward. He doesn't cost much, either in an auction or a draft pick and there are a number of good TEs to get as a backup in case it doesn't work out. His floor, absent injury, it right around where he's being drafted. TE #8 or so. But you can't be upset of he only plays to his floor.
Finley was top 5 two years ago.

In redraft, sure. There are lots of really good sleepers at TE this year, but not a lot of obvious top 10 guys. I think Finley will be solid though. He's had his issues with drops and consistency in the past, but he's a good athlete and GB is going to put up yards. Add it all up and it will be hard for him to be a massive flop.

Yea, but Rodgers stopped targeting him in the red zone. Now they added Lacy and have Cobb as well. That doesn't even take into account Jones who is Rodgers favorite red zone threat.

Yea, but Rodgers stopped targeting him in the red zone. Now they added Lacy and have Cobb as well. That doesn't even take into account Jones who is Rodgers favorite red zone threat.
Irrelevant. The question is, how many of us feel good about him being a #1 TE so the analysis concerns him vs. other TEs, not what he'll do in GB. And vs. other TEs, I think he's a perfectly acceptable TE to draft at his draft spot, and I think that spot likely represents his floor. And I think he's probably the TE with the greatest gap between floor and ceiling, so I like the risk but be smart about it and get a decent backup in case it falls apart. Finley lovers (me included) were burned big time two years ago.

Besides, Jordy is not going to catch 15 tds this year and Jones is not going to catch 14. Rodgers will throw 40ish though and I think Finley will catch 7, possibly as many as 12.

ETA: I'm in four leagues, own him in two redrafts.

In a word. no. I am not saying he will be bad, but hoping he will be elite is asking for too much. Sure, he looked good last week, but Nelson and Cobb weren't playing. Assuming those guys are good-to-go come Week 1, Finley's opportunities will be limited, especially since they have a new rookie runner they will likely use a lot. Finley should still be top 10, but I think keeping expectations not super high is best.

not in PPR he wasn't.

not in PPR he wasn't.
Correct and I was referring to PPR, but in the first 4 games of 2010 before he got hurt he was #5 in PPR - on pace for 84/1204/4. That seems like ages ago though.

Still not sure why people think he's going to drastically change based on a few preseason quarters. It's his 6th season.

Not a chance, he cannot be trusted!

He won't break 100 total fantasy points!

650 - 700 yards and 3 - 4 TD's.

Don't drink the Lambeau Cool-Aid!

If I can get him in that TE 8-10 range, I consider that good value. Otherwise I'll wait and go with a later round upside guy like Cook, Cameron or Sudfeld.

I trust him as my starter.

Even if he is not a new man, and is just his 2009-2011 self, that still leaves him as a middle-of-the-road TE1. He averaged 62/821/6.6 per 16 games during those 3 years, finishing 8th, 6th, and 7th in ppg (non-ppr).

He has upside beyond that (if the light really has turned on) which outweighs the risk of a repeat of the first half of last year (if his wiring is on the fritz again).

(If you count every game over the past 4 years, he has still averaged 108 fpts per 16 games, which is low-end TE1 numbers.)

If I can get him in that TE 8-10 range, I consider that good value. Otherwise I'll wait and go with a later round upside guy like Cook, Cameron or Sudfeld.
That's exactly what I did. Paired him with Cameron. Feeling OK about it, but won't be shocked if both underperform.

I trust him as my starter.

Even if he is not a new man, and is just his 2009-2011 self, that still leaves him as a middle-of-the-road TE1. He averaged 62/821/6.6 per 16 games during those 3 years, finishing 8th, 6th, and 7th in ppg (non-ppr).

He has upside beyond that (if the light really has turned on) which outweighs the risk of a repeat of the first half of last year (if his wiring is on the fritz again).

(If you count every game over the past 4 years, he has still averaged 108 fpts per 16 games, which is low-end TE1 numbers.)
I agree there's very little downside risk.

Finley can be trusted to get his 60 catches. Beyond that it is a gamble, but one I am willing to make (...again).

He's a better candidate to put up big numbers than Olsen, Cook, and some other TEs I can't believe people are so thrilled about drafting this year.

Finley can be trusted to get his 60 catches. Beyond that it is a gamble, but one I am willing to make (...again).

He's a better candidate to put up big numbers than Olsen, Cook, and some other TEs I can't believe people are so thrilled about drafting this year.
IMO Cook is in a considerably better situation. He should be Bradford's go to guy in the red zone.

He can't be trusted, if by that you mean consistent production at a high level. But that's not why he's drafted. Outside of the top few TEs, none of the 5-15 guys can be trusted. It's upside and value relative to draft position.

Beerguzzler said:
Chicago Hooligan said:

IMO Cook is in a considerably better situation. He should be Bradford's go to guy in the red zone.
Not just the RZ. Bradford will be using him all over the field. He will have visions of Gresham at OU

I think he'll do ok, low end te1 numbers when all said and done, which is where he's being drafted. Bur if you want consistency forget about it. He'll deliver 2 to 3 clunkers in a row then blow up one day, likely on your bench.

We will see.... I am sold on him this year. I have him am Olsen on my team and I'm think I am starting him week 1 over olsen. He could fool me this year like countless over but I just feel it could be different this time.

Can he be trusted? No, he still has drops although he is more committed this year. I hope he gets James Jones to show him how he conquered his poor concentration.

I think he will be pretty consistent because he is so hard to cover but with drops too. I'm buying in.

Trust is a good word here.

Finley better earn it before you guys fall in love with him again for FF. Witten, Gates, or even a guy like Heath Miller have their QBs confidence to throw to them in traffic or throwing a bullet when it's time to panic.

Picked him Finley in a couple of my leagues, but also got Cook as well. Hopefully one of them is startable.

Users who are viewing this thread